I saw the sales numbers in USA/World for first week!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
no it cant be, if they do 800,000 that would be amazing and i think they can pull it off in the US.

Last edited:
I wonder what they're basing that on? Those figures seem insanely high, especially the ones for the US. That would be more than half of what ATYCLB ended up selling! I wish it could be true, but....

5 million world wide seems like a reasonable number but the US number is absolutely wrong....I think the 900 thousand estimate will be high myself if it does more then 600 thousand in the US U2 would have to consider that a good start.

5.6 million chickens? 5.6 million balloons? hmm....i wonder how many chickens the vinyl version would cost me.:hmm:

Can some one translate this:

Update 29.11.2004
Hier ein paar aktuelle Zahlen: In der ersten Verkaufswoche wurden bereits über 5,6 Mio. Einheiten von How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb abgesetzt, davon allein 2,5 Mio. in den USA. Von ihrem letzten Album, All That You Can't Leave Behind, konnten U2 im Vergleichszeitraum 'nur' 3,26 Mio Einheiten absetzen.
Zudem gibts bereits jetzt folgende Auszeichnungen: Sechsfach-Platin in Irland, Dreifach-Platin in Kanada, Doppelplatin in den USA, Platin in Australien, Zweifach-Gold in Frankreich und Gold in Belgien.

I'll do my best, it's from German.

Here are a couple of actual sales figures: In its first week of sales about 5.6 million copies of How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb were delivered, of which 2.5 million in the USA alone. Of their last album, All That You Can't Leave Behind, in comparison, U2 could 'only' deliver 3.26 million copies. This gives the following results: six times platinum in Ireland, triple platinum in Canada, double platinum in the USA, platinum in Australia, double gold (? - MJ) in France and gold in Belgium.

BTW, I deliberately used the term 'delivered' and not the term 'sold' as this means that 5.6 million copies were delivered to stores, not sold to consumers.

C ya!

Marty

I'm assuming U2 gets paid on actual consumer sales not distribution sales, right?

That said, according to hitsdailydouble.com, U2's sales figures (with 27% of stores reporting) have sold twice as many as Faith Hill, who is at number two. Eminem is at a distant #5.

It said that the album went double platimun in the US. Did I read that right?

As riteshbhatt1 correctly stated, 2.3M copies were SHIPPED to the U.S. (meaning bought by stores). This makes the album 2x Platinum already. And another 3M or so copies were sold to stores around the rest of the world.

In terms of sales to actual consumers, HTDAAB appears to be on track from 750,000 to 1M copies this past week (Tues.-Sun.). That should be enough to secure it a #1 ranking - the first for U2 since 1997's "Pop".

Shipping Double Platinum isn't too shocking, given the success of ATYCLB. What I'm really hoping to see is HTDAAB have a huge second, third and fourth weeks, forcing the album to hit 3x Platinum by year end. Now that would be special. :yes:

Last edited:
bw in dc said:
I'm assuming U2 gets paid on actual consumer sales not distribution sales, right?

no, U2 gets paid on album shipped to stores (it doesn't matter whether the store sell those copies to final consumers or not..once shipped U2 gets paid)

I just have to say..

Uh, "Yahweh"...you've got some guts, choosing a name like that...care to share with us why please? Just curious...:wink:

Back
Top Bottom