HTDMAAB Back On Australian Charts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:cool: guess it sold 1-1.5k then & it could well get to 4xPlat (280k) by end of the year (about 265k now). :wink:

Last edited:
edge3 said:
:cool: guess it sold 1-1.5k then & it could well get to 4xPlat (280k) by end of the year (about 265k now). :wink:

I'd hope it'd hit 280,000 by April. Wouldn't it be reasonable to think the tour here will inspire 15,000 sales over the next month? That's not even 4,000 per week.

Yea i think it will be at about 300000 by the end of the year people will rush to buy it when they get here just because they'll be everywhere for a couple of weeks. And the fans of the old stuff that are going will want to be up to date with all the songs

Tomorrow night should see an increase in Australia for HTDAAB on the Aria charts...
I dont know if anyone else has seen anything like this, but today my friend went to a Big W in country South Australia and there was a huge display right inside the door of all the U2 albums and DVDs, the albums were all less than $15 and DVDs about $20. He then went to a Sanity store nearby and it was the same there, U2 everywhere, posters on the walls, album displays. The back catalogue should sell well this tour.
Anyone else noticed any such displays in their local record stores?

Aria charts this week -

HTDAAB - 27 this week (thats a massive jump from 46 last week for a cd thats been out a year and a half)

Live from Chicago - 2
Slane - 25

:D its starting ... its going to get very crazy in Australia when they get here ... i'm so excited now

Last edited:
In the DVD chart :

#2 Vertigo (4xP)
#3 Go Home (6xP)
#8 Best of 90-2000
#21 Pop (P)

Very impressive!

Yes, 280k... i think at # 10 it would have sold 4-5k so i guess 300k is now quite possible !

Last edited:
edge3 said:
Yes, 280k... i think at # 10 it would have sold 4-5k so i guess 300k is now quite possible !
No way they sold so much at only #10! At this position in France an album sold only 6-7k, Australian market is much lower than this one!

MJDangerous said:

No way they sold so much at only #10! At this position in France an album sold only 6-7k, Australian market is much lower than this one!

Well it apparantly sold around 2,300 last week at # 27...

During the Vertigo Tour in UK it was at # 33 with around 7,400 then it too inreased 16 spots to # 17 with sales of 19,563 - that's an increase of 164%. So why not a similar situation in Australia ? Seems reasonable to me.

Also, it seems that, on a per capita basis, the Australian market is actually quite a bit bigger than French market. I mean 280k = 840k in French terms & Bomb has actually charted better in France ! (but with sales of 'just' 450k).

Last edited:
Great result.

It will be interesting to see what will happen next week due to the postponement of the tour.

What do people think will happen sales-wise next week? The tour has sadly been postponed, however new dates are expected to be announced for later in the year...
Due to the postponement, would people go out and buy the album or DVD instead of the concert?
Either way number is 10 is VERY good and you are right edge3, sales would be around the 4.5-5k mark, i'm positive of that.
If the concerts had gone ahead i reckon this album would have gone TOP 3.

ps... I dont know what the go is with POP being in DVD chart when as far as I know its an album only and always has been.
Also I'm expecting the FAR outdated certifications on the Best Of albums to be updated.

ChargedVT said:
What do people think will happen sales-wise next week? The tour has sadly been postponed, however new dates are expected to be announced for later in the year...
Due to the postponement, would people go out and buy the album or DVD instead of the concert?
Either way number is 10 is VERY good and you are right edge3, sales would be around the 4.5-5k mark, i'm positive of that.
If the concerts had gone ahead i reckon this album would have gone TOP 3.

I'm not too sure but the Oz gigs weren't even scheduled for another 9 - 19 days so i wasn't expecting Bomb to hit the top 10 yet. Now it's in the top 10 though & providing the gigs will take place 10 days later i think we could see an extra week or two in the top 10/20.

edge3 said:

Well it apparantly sold around 2,300 last week at # 27...

During the Vertigo Tour in UK it was at # 33 with around 7,400 then it too inreased 16 spots to # 17 with sales of 19,563 - that's an increase of 164%. So why not a similar situation in Australia ? Seems reasonable to me.

Also, it seems that, on a per capita basis, the Australian market is actually quite a bit bigger than French market. I mean 280k = 840k in French terms & Bomb has actually charted better in France ! (but with sales of 'just' 450k).
The best selling album of the year sold about 350k in Australia while in France it sold in a normal year about 1 million copies, the French market is about 3 times bigger than the Australian one. The Bomb has got a better success in Australia, #23 and #26 in YEC of 2004 and 2005, #18 and #49 in France.
When I see Back To Bedlam hitting the #1 9 weeks in Australia, also #2 for 6 weeks and charted in the top 5 at Christmas time and be certified at 5xP, I found hard to believe that the #10 in a poor moment of the year can sold ~5k per week.

The 2.3k figure at #27 seems not right too, in UK last week the album at this place sold 7-7.5k, I really doubt that the Australian market equal to a third of the British market!

MJDangerous said:

The best selling album of the year sold about 350k in Australia while in France it sold in a normal year about 1 million copies, the French market is about 3 times bigger than the Australian one. The Bomb has got a better success in Australia, #23 and #26 in YEC of 2004 and 2005, #18 and #49 in France.
When I see Back To Bedlam hitting the #1 9 weeks in Australia, also #2 for 6 weeks and charted in the top 5 at Christmas time and be certified at 5xP, I found hard to believe that the #10 in a poor moment of the year can sold ~5k per week.

The 2.3k figure at #27 seems not right too, in UK last week the album at this place sold 7-7.5k, I really doubt that the Australian market equal to a third of the British market!

The sales info shows that you are wrong...& you obviously haven't checked to see that recent yearly album sales in Australia are around the 50m mark.

So UK market, with around 160m, IS roughly 3 x bigger whilst French market, with around 80m, is roughly only 1.6 x bigger.

Last edited:
MJDangerous said:

Actually, looking at the Australian population which is 20 million and the UK population which is 60 million, one can see that on average, the market in Australia for just about anything is 1/3 of the UK market. In fact it might even be higher once you consider that Australians per capita GDP is higher than the United Kingdom's.

edge3 said:

The sales info shows that you are wrong...& you obviously haven't checked to see that recent yearly album sales in Australia are around the 50m mark.

So UK market, with around 160m, IS roughly 3 x bigger whilst French market, with around 80m, is roughly only 1.6 x bigger.
Those numbers are wrong, they don't come from the same source and they are mixing different sales figures.
Global CD sales in Australia in 2003 are 52.9 millions, 117,9 millions in France (x2.23) and 233.9 millions in UK which mean that the market in UK is 4.42x bigger than in Australia.

Sting in a per capita basis, UK are #1 by far. Average number of CDs bought by 1 inhabitant in 1 year (from 2003 in the 10 biggest markets) :

UK = 3.94
Australia = 2.69
USA = 2.54
France = 1.96
Germany = 1.78
Canada = 1.69
Japan = 1.61
Netherlands = 1.53
Spain = 1.31
Italia = 0.63

MJDangerous said:

Those numbers are wrong, they don't come from the same source and they are mixing different sales figures.
Global CD sales in Australia in 2003 are 52.9 millions, 117,9 millions in France (x2.23) and 233.9 millions in UK which mean that the market in UK is 4.42x bigger than in Australia.

Sting in a per capita basis, UK are #1 by far. Average number of CDs bought by 1 inhabitant in 1 year (from 2003 in the 10 biggest markets) :

UK = 3.94
Australia = 2.69
USA = 2.54
France = 1.96
Germany = 1.78
Canada = 1.69
Japan = 1.61
Netherlands = 1.53
Spain = 1.31
Italia = 0.63

No, your mixing shipments with sales. According to ARIA.com overall shipments of albums in Aus in 2003 were about 60m with actual sales at just over 50m.

233m for UK is a shipment figure also - actual sales were defintely around 160m in 2003 (158m in 2005, 166m in 2004).

...& anyway, Back To Bedlam sold around 19k at # 10 last week in UK & 22,199 also at # 10 the week before.

Also, & sorry to go on, but that 80m French figure was from your good self, MJ !!

...& i just found out from BBC.com (though i could just go & look in Musicweek again) that actual overall UK album sales in 2003 were indeed 159.3m (& that's 121m for artist albums + 38m for compilations).

edge3 said:

No, your mixing shipments with sales. According to ARIA.com overall shipments of albums in Aus in 2003 were about 60m with actual sales at just over 50m.

233m for UK is a shipment figure also - actual sales were defintely around 160m in 2003 (158m in 2005, 166m in 2004).

...& anyway, Back To Bedlam sold around 19k at # 10 last week in UK & 22,199 also at # 10 the week before.
YOU are mixing shipment with sales, I'm mixing nothing in my case. My numbers concern all the same thing, they are all from the same official document.

And do you see any problem in your figures ?! 50m > 60m Sales/shipment in Australia, 160m > 233m in UK ?! lol

Back
Top Bottom