HTDAAB will NOT hit #1 in the U.S. because... - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Peeling off those Dollar Bills
Click Here to Login

Old 10-21-2004, 10:51 PM   #16
Refugee

Local Time: 05:17 PM
Yes, the more that I analyze this, the more I'm thinking that not only will this album provide U2's biggest opening week ever, but it will top 500,000 copies sold in the U.S. at LEAST. Holiday season helps, and I don't think that many of the other artists releasing albums around the same time are going to necessarily "hurt" U2. Someone who is interested in the band is going to buy the Cd, not say they only have enough money for the DC album. The success of the last album combined with the hype for this one is only going to help.

BTW, kudos to the band for the Itunes commercial. I don't think they will gain many new younger fans through the radio anymore because they simply aren't played enough for the young generation. The commercial is possibly the most effective way of getting the song out there that they could have come up with. Even all my friends and my family have seen the commercial and they are intrigued.

Can't wait until November 23 to see how it turns out!

FullonEdge2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 10:30 AM   #17
The Fly

Local Time: 12:17 PM
I think U2 will debut at number #1 with about 350,000 units in its first week and sell 3 million copies in the next 2 years in the US. Eminem will be a close second in his second week. It is amazing that Norah Jones sold over a million copies her first week.

barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 11:35 AM   #18
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by barrett
I think U2 will debut at number #1 with about 350,000 units in its first week and sell 3 million copies in the next 2 years in the US. Eminem will be a close second in his second week. It is amazing that Norah Jones sold over a million copies her first week.
I think to even hope for 3rd they will need 350K. This is the biggest week of the year and 350K for the new album would be dissapointing at best.
tkramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 11:48 AM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I think people are not looking at my reasoning for doing this posting in the first place. I'm just saying that they wont be able to hit number one if Billboard/soundscan decide to split the sales up between the normal and special edition versions of the album. And U2 will need to top 450k to even hope for number one.
womanfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 12:34 PM   #20
Refugee

They will have to top 500,000 at least, and I think they will do this.

And no, I think U2 would know better than release it in such a way as they would know the sales would be split up.
FullonEdge2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 01:41 PM   #21
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by womanfish
I think people are not looking at my reasoning for doing this posting in the first place. I'm just saying that they wont be able to hit number one if Billboard/soundscan decide to split the sales up between the normal and special edition versions of the album. And U2 will need to top 450k to even hope for number one.
Oh yeah, forgot about that...
I need to stay on target.

Personally I think they will lump special and normal editions together, as the MUSICAL content is deemed the same. If one had 11 b-sides on it they would rethink it.
tkramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 06:43 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I agree that lumping them together makes sense. But no one has ever accuesed Soundscan or RIAA of making sense.

womanfish is offline   Reply With Quote