How much can "Bomb" bounce back after the Grammys?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
thelaj said:
Also, is there a reason the US increases seem to be a lot greater than that of the UK?

The Grammy awards take place in the United States and do not receive the level of attention they do in the USA anywhere else in the world.

Amazon USA: #3
Amazon UK: #48
Amazon Germany: #34
Amazon France: #31
Amazon Canada: #11

HTDAAB is still out of the Top 200 right now, correct? If it bounced in for this week (pre-Grammy awards), it was only because of some Grammy hype.

I'd really be surprised to see HTDAAB zip higher than #50. When Steely Dan won a few years back, their album was also out of the Top 200. It reached - I think - #70 after the win.

That said, Steely Dan's win was clearly for past work as that particular album produced no hits - in fact, most people didn't even know Steely Dan had released a new album! HTDAAB has already sold over 3M copies and has produced two Top 100 hits. Given U2's enormous exposure on the show and those huge wins, I hope HTDAAB is able to bounce into the Top 40. But that would be some climb - from out of the Top 200 to the Top 40! AYTCLB returned to #10 in 2002 after the Grammy's, but it was already floating high thanks to U2's Super Bowl performance. Granted, ATYCLB didn't win "Album of the Year", but it did win some major awards (back to back "Record of the Years), so...

I'll be anxious to see the charts in a few weeks. :yes:

well at 12:28am...

amazon.com shows:

HTDAAB = #3
Best 1990-2000 = #71
Best 1980-1990 = #72
and fighting to stay in the top 100...
Joshua Tree = #97

Roland of Gilead said:

The real question now is how will this impact U2's desire to make another album? Will they delay these ideas now that the Bomb is "fresh" again? Will they push a new single off the Bomb?

I hope so!
That way I can get Original of the Species on DVD singles ;)

Actually I've noticed 90-2000 as been fairly high on Amazon for awhile (obiviously not as high as it is now though)

I reckon Bomb's gonna return to Mediatraffic top 40 world chart next week. I think it'll need to do 50-60k in the 23 (or so) countries that MT covers to be sure & that's looking v.likely at the moment. :dance:

Well, word is that Original of the Species will be available for download come Feb.20th in the UK. I don't know exactly what this means, but right now there is a promo "dvd pal stereo" disc of Owens' version of OOTS being distributed in the UK.

"This new mix will be available for download from Feb. 20th." - this is stated on a white sticker attached to the case.

Mary J. Blige, Manilow Look Like 1-2, Curious George Top Debut

February 10, 2006

The combination of the Grammys and Valentine's Day on Tuesday should result in some welcome street traffic at record retailers this weekend. Just in the nick of time.
Geffen diva Mary J. Blige's The Breakthrough is the chief recipient of Grammy buzz, as her performance of "One" with Bono on the show helped boost her album approximately 33% for the second week in a row. The disc looks set to return to the #1 slot on next Tuesday's chart with between 150-160k in sales.

Of course, don't bet the house on it, because these are just estimates based on our scientific survey of retailers around the country, and they've been known to fudge the facts on occasion. Hey, just kidding.

The ageless Barry Manilow is off just a bit from his chart-topping total of a week ago, but it's enough to land his Arista compilation, Greatest Songs of the Fifties, at #2, with around 125-135k in one-week sales.

Jack Johnson's Universal Records Curious George soundtrack is right on target for the 110-120k mark, good for the week's top debut and a #3 finish.

Grammy performer Jamie Foxx's duet on "Gold Digger" with Kanye West in matching marching band uniforms didn't seem to deflate his sex symbol status, as his J Records Unpredictable album continues to be predictable, earning the #4 position with 100-105k in sales.

Popera stars Il Divo continue to warble at #5, as Ancora drums up between 95-100k in units moved. Decca/Universal Classics' maestro Andrea Bocelli, who could probably fit all the members of Il Divo in his beard, has the perfect Valentine's Day title of Amore, which will go down the wire with his operatic competition.

Island/IDJ diva Mariah Carey, a three-time Grammy winner, will have to soothe her hurt at losing to U2 in Album of the Year, with an impressive total of 80-85k, almost twice her total a week ago of 46.6k, which would be good for #7.

Dem Franchize Boyz, So So Def/Virgin's Kings of "Snap," the latest Dirty South variation on Crunk and Jermaine Dupri's latest success, will bow at #8 with 75-80k.

Even with the American Idol snub in her acceptance speech, RCA pop diva Kelly Clarkson's two Grammys help revive her Breakaway album with 70-75k in sales, another 100% rise, good for #9 at the moment.

Finally, two albums round out the Top 10, going head-to-head into the final stretch, with Walt Disney Records' High School Musical soundtrack and Custard/Atlantic U.K. phenom James Blunt battling it out for #10 at 60-65k apiece.

Thanks to HITS ace retail reporter Rob Broadwell for the estimates. In other words, if they don't pan out, blame him.

To resume, U2 are not in way to be back in the top 10...

Tallarico said:
now #4 on amazon.com

a lot of times the hitsdailydouble.com (the article is there) don't have a correct prediction...i don't think Bomb could rise until the top 10 but i want to see a big boost...(i see that mary j blige have got a good improve from the performance!)

MJDangerous said:
Mary J. Blige, Manilow Look Like 1-2, Curious George Top Debut

February 10, 2006

The combination of the Grammys and Valentine's Day on Tuesday should result in some welcome street traffic at record retailers this weekend. Just in the nick of time.
Geffen diva Mary J. Blige's The Breakthrough is the chief recipient of Grammy buzz, as her performance of "One" with Bono on the show helped boost her album approximately 33% for the second week in a row. The disc looks set to return to the #1 slot on next Tuesday's chart with between 150-160k in sales.

Of course, don't bet the house on it, because these are just estimates based on our scientific survey of retailers around the country, and they've been known to fudge the facts on occasion. Hey, just kidding.

The ageless Barry Manilow is off just a bit from his chart-topping total of a week ago, but it's enough to land his Arista compilation, Greatest Songs of the Fifties, at #2, with around 125-135k in one-week sales.

Jack Johnson's Universal Records Curious George soundtrack is right on target for the 110-120k mark, good for the week's top debut and a #3 finish.

Grammy performer Jamie Foxx's duet on "Gold Digger" with Kanye West in matching marching band uniforms didn't seem to deflate his sex symbol status, as his J Records Unpredictable album continues to be predictable, earning the #4 position with 100-105k in sales.

Popera stars Il Divo continue to warble at #5, as Ancora drums up between 95-100k in units moved. Decca/Universal Classics' maestro Andrea Bocelli, who could probably fit all the members of Il Divo in his beard, has the perfect Valentine's Day title of Amore, which will go down the wire with his operatic competition.

Island/IDJ diva Mariah Carey, a three-time Grammy winner, will have to soothe her hurt at losing to U2 in Album of the Year, with an impressive total of 80-85k, almost twice her total a week ago of 46.6k, which would be good for #7.

Dem Franchize Boyz, So So Def/Virgin's Kings of "Snap," the latest Dirty South variation on Crunk and Jermaine Dupri's latest success, will bow at #8 with 75-80k.

Even with the American Idol snub in her acceptance speech, RCA pop diva Kelly Clarkson's two Grammys help revive her Breakaway album with 70-75k in sales, another 100% rise, good for #9 at the moment.

Finally, two albums round out the Top 10, going head-to-head into the final stretch, with Walt Disney Records' High School Musical soundtrack and Custard/Atlantic U.K. phenom James Blunt battling it out for #10 at 60-65k apiece.

Thanks to HITS ace retail reporter Rob Broadwell for the estimates. In other words, if they don't pan out, blame him.

To resume, U2 are not in way to be back in the top 10...

"Of course, don't bet the house on it, because these are just estimates based on our scientific survey of retailers around the country, and they've been known to fudge the facts on occasion"

Did you read the above statement?

In any event, I'm starting to think its really unlikely that HTDAAB will return to the top 10 with being out of the top 200 the past couple of weeks.

I checked two record stores in my area to see if they were trying to capitalize on any Grammy hype. One record store only had 7 copies of HTDAAB in its usual area with other U2 stuff, on sale for 17.99 compared to the usual price of 19.99.

The other record store did not have any copies of HTDAAB, nor did it appear that it had any copies a couple of days earlier as the U2 area was full. Nothing was on sale.

I noticed the USA TODAY newspaper went to press before the Album of The Year award was presented as it did not mention it the next morning. Friday morning there was nothing about the Grammy's except for what people were wearing.

I get the feeling the album will sell somewhere between 20,000 copies and 40,000 copies instead of 85,000. I really hope it does better, but I'm not detecting any real buzz two days later.

Last edited:
STING2 said:

"Of course, don't bet the house on it, because these are just estimates based on our scientific survey of retailers around the country, and they've been known to fudge the facts on occasion"

Did you read the above statement?
Do you know what is HDD ? Their estimations are generally right, last week for example all their top 10 predictions was right, even if of course they still estimations.

I do think we'll see HTDAAB back on the charts - there's no question. U2 received plenty of attention online. Even my cell phone had updates about U2 "upsetting" Mariah and Kanye!

But as U2, themselves, acknowledged, HTDAAB is now nearing 1.5 years in age! It's sold over 3M copies, so those who wanted it already have it. There is no new single promoting it. Barring a stop in Hawaii, the tour is over for the U.S. The overall hype for the album is now gone. Any additional sales due to the Grammy awards is a bonus.

As we all know, in 2002, U2 had just performed at the Super Bowl. That gave ATYCLB a big push. Prior to that, ATYCLB received a big boost from the success of "Stuck...", the sad events of 9/11 and the return of the tour to the U.S. That kept AYTCLB floating in the Top 100 for the holidays. With the Super Bowl and Grammy buzz, the album surged into the Top 30 and then hit the top 10 with the Grammy wins.

In contrast, there was no Super Bowl performance to boost the album. Happily, there was no repeat of 9/11. Sadly, no other song from HTDAAB had the success that "Stuck..." did in 2002 (and even that song only charted in the Top 60). And, of course, the album is now out of the Top 200 completely.

When Steely Dan won a few years back, their album went from out of the Top 200 to around #70. Given this is U2, I think we'll see higher, but Top 10? Never.

I predict sales of about 50K but I´m not sure whether the peak will take place next week or the week after.

doctorwho said:
I do think we'll see HTDAAB back on the charts - there's no question. U2 received plenty of attention online. Even my cell phone had updates about U2 "upsetting" Mariah and Kanye!

But as U2, themselves, acknowledged, HTDAAB is now nearing 1.5 years in age! It's sold over 3M copies, so those who wanted it already have it. There is no new single promoting it. Barring a stop in Hawaii, the tour is over for the U.S. The overall hype for the album is now gone. Any additional sales due to the Grammy awards is a bonus.

As we all know, in 2002, U2 had just performed at the Super Bowl. That gave ATYCLB a big push. Prior to that, ATYCLB received a big boost from the success of "Stuck...", the sad events of 9/11 and the return of the tour to the U.S. That kept AYTCLB floating in the Top 100 for the holidays. With the Super Bowl and Grammy buzz, the album surged into the Top 30 and then hit the top 10 with the Grammy wins.

In contrast, there was no Super Bowl performance to boost the album. Happily, there was no repeat of 9/11. Sadly, no other song from HTDAAB had the success that "Stuck..." did in 2002 (and even that song only charted in the Top 60). And, of course, the album is now out of the Top 200 completely.

When Steely Dan won a few years back, their album went from out of the Top 200 to around #70. Given this is U2, I think we'll see higher, but Top 10? Never.

MJDangerous said:

Do you know what is HDD ? Their estimations are generally right, last week for example all their top 10 predictions was right, even if of course they still estimations.

Yes, their chart which starts coming out on Monday and finishes on Tuesday is very accurate and almost the same as soundscan. But their predictions can be hit or miss. Still, from what I have seen from the past couple of days, its safe to say the album won't get in to the top 10. I do think they have a shot for the top 50 though. We'll find out when HDD starts its chart on Monday.

It's also important to consider that it's a slow season. Barry Manilow topped the charts, not solely because of his name, but because he only sold 100-something thousands copies in the rut of the sale's year. U2 could easily jump into the Top 10. I predict it will reach #5 at best.

Call me optimistic...go ahead. I can hear it now...but 70-80k sales (which would be less than .5% of the Grammy viewers) would likely put them near the top. Music lovers watch the grammy's...even if American Idol beat them in the ratings (the majority of the Idol audience probably cares less about U2, more about Clarkson).

Did anyone post data on Grammy's influence on next week sales? I saw that Steely Dan jumped from oblivion into the top 70, but what about the others of the past, say...10 years. It seems like an Album win take virtually everyone into the top of the charts...no matter how old it may be.

I would love it if your optimistic prediction is true Dano! However, HTDAAB's sales boosts haven't followed any predictable pattern. When ATYCLB had Grammy wins, it received a boost for a few weeks. HTDAAB saw a token one week boost last year. Post-holiday sales saw ATYCLB drop, but similar to all other artists and it stabilized. HTDAAB dropped far more than the other artists both years and then continued to fall. So even though it has passed 3M in actual consumer sales - which is very impressive - it's not as high as I felt it should have been. Seems the audience is more fickle with this album. Of course, that may be why I like it more as it's just a tad less accessible than ATYCLB. :)

The average customer review on amazon.com is now 3 and a half stars.

Amazon USA: #5
Amazon UK: #65
Amazon France: #223
Amazon Germany: #51
Amazon Canada: #108

That´s better but still low. The album deserves at least a four star rating. Eitherway, do not pay much attention to amazon reviews since anyone is able to submit one.

Zoovation said:
The average customer review on amazon.com is now 3 and a half stars.

Amazon USA: #5
Amazon UK: #65
Amazon France: #223
Amazon Germany: #51
Amazon Canada: #108

phommel said:
correct me if i am wrong, but i think it is not in top50. not even in top100 (issue date 18-2-2006). How is possible??

Are you talking about the U.S.?

If so, it will take until next week before we see the true effect of the Grammy's on sales. The U.S. chart that was posted last Thursday (Feb. 9th) was based on sales collected from Jan. 30th through Feb. 5th. In that chart, HTDAAB did not sell enough albums to place in the Top 200. My guess is that it sold around 4000 copies - similar to the week before, but not enough to chart.

The sales period from Feb. 6th through the 12th is going on right now. When it ends on Sunday evening, SoundScan will analyze the data and release a chart on Wednesday, Feb. 15th. On Thursday, Feb. 16th, Billboard will post their Top 200 albums based on this SoundScan information.

Some people here have access to SoundScan data. I used to back in the ATYCLB days, which came in really handy in getting weekly numbers. Sadly, my source is gone. Fortunately, others have found sources and we are able to get good weekly numbers. Because of this, expect to see actual sales numbers and chart positions as early as this coming Wednesday. If you can't wait to see data, HitsDailyDouble is also good at showing a growing album chart (their data is gathered the "old" way - reports from music stores around the country... this is how Billboard used to work prior to SoundScan).

Most of us anticipate that with U2 winning Album of the Year and performing on the show, there will be a big boost in sales. Assuming my estimate of 4000 copies sold the week prior to the Grammy Awards is correct, I think a 10x increase is to be expected - maybe more. I'd love it to be 20x and see U2 flirting with the Top 10. But right now, I'm thinking around 35-50,000 copies sold next week - good enough for somewhere in the Top 50.

Last edited:
I don't see how with all the media attention they got Bomb will only sell 35,000 to 50,000 copies next week. I would put it more at about 50,000-65,000. Every mention of the grammys had been about U2 and I think that very positive press will tanslate into surprising sales that will put them maybe in the top 20.

Don't trust Hits just yet. They gather data over two days. Often the leader on Day 1 falls quickly by Day 2. And sometimes an album not even seen on Day 1 rises near the top on Day 2. So there's still hope.

You are right, the exposure was huge. But with 3M+ copies sold and no new single or U.S. tour to promote the album further, the Grammy wins can only do so much. If HTDAAB were around #25, like ATYCLB was before the 2002 Grammies, I'd fully expect HTDAAB to bounce back into the Top 10 - even Top 5. But alas, with it not even charting last week, there's only so much an awards show can do.

Still, I did expect the album to climb into the Top 50 and so far, Hits isn't even showing Bomb there. Oh well. Maybe Hits is right - consumers did undervalue the album.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom