Hits Week 8

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Green Day still in the lead and it looks like they may be #1 for another week......

Interesting to see the Garden State soundtrack doing so well.......the film's recent release to video has let it earn massive exposure that it didn't receive in its theatrical release.......meanwhile The Shin's debut album (of which two tracks are on the Garden State Soundtrack) has been doing very well in the Pop Catalog Albums chart.......glad to see that Braff's Garden State and The Shins are both starting to get more recognition......Braff and The Shins are two talents that will be around for years.....

I predict that U2 will end up in about the same position as last week on the chart.......overall sales for the week will be somewhere around 50,000.....

14.41%

U2 #19 with 4,721

I think it's sure that U2 will be in the Top 20 and I hope that the sales will be 50,000 or more!

Last edited:
Yahweh said:
#13 with 29,842

this could be a good clue for the final chart position as there aren't big (and unrealistic) moves on the chart...with 40% there were too much movements on the charts (with album moving up or down of more than 10 positions)

For those wondering where we are in the tally...
With 63.17% in:
2 1 GREEN DAY AMERICAN IDIOT 64,884
1 2 EMINEM ENCORE 55,440
4 3 LIL' JON & THE EASTSIDE BOYZ CRUNK JUICE 45,993
11 4 NOW THAT WHAT I CALL MUSIC! V.17 41,182
6 5 JOHN LEGEND GET LIFTED 40,260
15 13 U2 HOW TO DISMANTLE AN ATOMIC BOMB 29,867

Final numbers are as follows:

LW TW artist / album label power index % change
2 1 GREEN DAY REPRISE 99,604 +9% AMERICAN IDIOT
1 2 EMINEM SHADY/INTERSCOPE 83,345 -13% ENCORE
5 3 SHANIA TWAIN MERCURY NASHVILLE 72,066 +7% GREATEST HITS
6 4 JOHN LEGEND GETTING OUT OUR/COLUMBIA 71,567 +7% GET LIFTED
4 5 LIL' JON & THE EASTSIDE BOYZ TVT 69,841 +1%

15 16 U2 INTERSCOPE 41,034 -21% HOW TO DISMANTLE AN ATOMIC BOMB

Back to #16 with 41,000 sold.

Last edited:
With Soundscan numbers running about 5,000 to 10,000 copies higher for BOMB than hits, the album was probablly closer to 50,000 in sales. It did 59,000 last week and a 20% drop from that number would put it at around 48,000 copies sold. Its charting slightly higher than ATYCLB did four years ago which is good. The slightly lower sales I think say more about the "general market conditions" than the selling strength of BOMB.

This is a disappointing result (and I am generally an optimist). Only 4 artists in the top 20 had bigger or equal declines, and some even had increases. I was hoping for the album to stabilise at 50K. Though soundscan generally gives U2 higher numbers, a similar % decline is expected

I was hoping ABOY to have a bigger impact on sales, but it does not look like it flowed through. If the album has similar 20% drop next week, then the album is tracking to sell 1m copies in 05, not 2m copies as I was hoping. Jick's predictions may not be far off after all.

Maybe ABOY will help next week and the tour announcement, but the album need to stop declining in sales and hold its ground next week.

zoo tv mcg said:
This is a disappointing result (and I am generally an optimist). Only 4 artists in the top 20 had bigger or equal declines, and some even had increases. I was hoping for the album to stabilise at 50K. Though soundscan generally gives U2 higher numbers, a similar % decline is expected

I was hoping ABOY to have a bigger impact on sales, but it does not look like it flowed through. If the album has similar 20% drop next week, then the album is tracking to sell 1m copies in 05, not 2m copies as I was hoping. Jick's predictions may not be far off after all.

Maybe ABOY will help next week and the tour announcement, but the album need to stop declining in sales and hold its ground next week.

The album is charting higher than ATYCLB was at this time back in 2001. ATYCLB continued to fall at this point for several weeks as well. While ATYCLB sold more 4 years ago in this week, all of the albums in the top 20 were selling more that week than in this week in 2005.

From billboard.com

Green Day leads a slowly recovering Billboard 200 this week as "American Idiot" extends its return stay at No. 1 to a second consecutive and third overall week. With a .3% raise to 100,000 U.S. copies, according to Nielsen SoundScan, the Reprise set is one of only two top 10 albums that saw a sales gain, though the average decline for top titles was up from 30-50% to 5-25% this week.

The only other sales gainer in the upper echelon was Shania Twain's Mercury Nashville greatest hits compilation, which bolts 7-3 on an 8% increase to 74,000. In between the two is Eminem's "Encore" (Shady/Aftermath/Interscope), which remains at No. 2 for a second week despite a 16% slide to 84,000 units.

A slight 2% fall to 73,000 copies is enough to secure John Legend's place at No. 4 for a second week with "Get Lifted" (Sony Urban Music/Columbia), while a 13% decrease to 70,000 sends Lil Jon & The East Side Boyz's "Crunk Juice" (TVT) down two positions to No. 5.

Kelly Clarkson's "Breakaway" (RCA) is bolstered 6-10 despite a 10% slump to 60,000 and Usher also gets a boost despite a 17% slope for "Confessions" (LaFace/Zomba), which gains 9-7 on 56,000 copies. "MTV Ultimate Mash-Ups Presents Jay-Z and Linkin Park: Collision Course" (Machine Shop/Roc-A-Fella/Def Jam) is steady at No. 8 for a second week with 56,000, off 18% from the previous week.

Ludacris' former No. 1, "Red Light District" (Disturbing Tha Peace/Def Jam South), falls 5-9 on sales of 55,000, while the 17th installment of "NOW That's What I Call Music!" (Sony BMG/Universal/EMI/Zomba/Capitol) moves up one despite a 15% decline to 53,000 units to close out the top 10.

The soundtrack to the weekend's top-grossing movie is the Billboard 200's top debut this week, as Capitol's "Coach Carter" set enters at No. 31 with 29,000 copies. The set features Hot 100 favorites like Chingy, Twista, the Game, Ciara and Kanye West. Wind-Up's "Elektra: The Album," featuring Jet, Taking Back Sunday and Alter Bridge, bows at No. 62 on the strength of 14,000 units.

Also debuting are Donny Osmond's "What I Meant To Say" (Decca, No. 137), Madeleine Peyroux's "Careless Love" (Rounder, No. 168), the compilation "15 Duranguenses De Corazon" (Disa, No. 176), the "Napoleon Dynamite" soundtrack (Lakeshore, No. 181), the compilation "Parranda Tequilera 2005" (Univision Music Group, No. 184) and "Baby Einstein: Lullaby Classics" (Buena Vista, No. 191).

With an 83% spike to 22,000, Celine Dion's "Miracle" (Epic) far surpasses the sales gain of any other act on The Billboard 200 and rebounds 90-36. A rerun of the Canadian songstress' appearance on "The Oprah Winfrey Show" fueled the charge for the photo/lullaby collaboration with Anne Geddes, which originally bowed at No. 4 in October 2004.

Overall U.S. album sales were down 9.5% from the previous week at 9.6 million units and 8.6% lower than the same week last year. In the second full week of sales for 2005, year-to-date sales of 20.3 million units are down 20% from 2004.

Back
Top Bottom