Hits Week 19

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It will be interesting to see if they make the top 50 this week. I hope so.

This chart is very unpredictable!

ybird3k said:
i thought that last weeks chart position might have been maintained for a while.
obviously not:(

With 16%+ percent in, HTDAAB is back up to 38. Last week, it fell in and out of the top 50 and even rose as high as 18. This is one chart that you can't predict, it's just not over until it's over. With so many debuts this week, U2 may not end up charting. Sales are important, now, and I think 32K from last week is a little high due to the R&R HoF, Sometimes (moderate hit so far), AND the tour, I look for sales to stabilize around 25K in the U.S. That could be changed if we get a hit single! They have so many potential hits off the album...I hope they take advantage of these songs and release them!

Anyway, back to Hits. It's a 2-day roller coaster that keeps you guessing, that's for sure.

Even if the chart position is close to stable, looks like it could be a big drop in sales from last week.

But everyone that had an increase last week is going to have a decrease this week.
U2 had one of the highest increases out of everyone, and hopefully will have one of the lowest decreases this week.

Yeah I know last week was a big increase, I was just hoping Sometimes... would provide more a steady lift. A lot of the extra sales last week must have been due to the longer weekend and the Hall of Fame Induction instead of Sometimes...

Oh well.

"Sometimes..." is hitting a VERY different market - a market completely opposite of "Vertigo" and ABoY. Those songs, at least initially, appealed to the youth market.

"Sometimes..." is clearly going for the adult market. Note that it's already in the Top 20 on BillBoard's Adult Rock chart, but nowhere to be seen in the Top 20 of the Modern and Mainstream Rock charts. The Adult Rock market is notoriously slow - that is, it takes songs a long time to chart and rise. But once they succeed there, it also takes a VERY long time for the songs to fall. "Beautiful Day" was able to transition from the Modern Rock charts - which attracted the youth - to the Adult charts. It's that transition that kept "Beautiful Day" on the Hot 100 charts for so long, and that correspondingly helped sustain ATYCLB's sales.

If "Sometimes..." can succeed on the Adult charts, this too will help sustain HTDAAB's sales, as the album would hit a whole new market - one that buys CD's but at a slower pace. Teens buy right away, but adults buy over time. This same principle works with movies too. A big teen flick will have a big opening weekend and then fall, but an adult movie may open with a far smaller gross but it may then have very tiny drops - and perhaps some increases - along the way as word of mouth spreads.

HTDAAB already hit the teen market - it opened big. It would have fallen hard, except the Christmas market kept it going. Wily U2! ;) Some awards shows and TV appearances have kept U2 and the album in the public eye - enough to prevent it from falling out of the Top 100. So if "Sometimes..." can succeed, it will then act like that movie that caters to the older generation and keep chugging along for weeks to come. Let's hope!

Last edited:
FINAL NUMBERS:

U2 at 48 (down from 35)

with 19,986 -44%

so the album didn't not increase by 1 sale in that last 7 or so %... that's unfortunate. Would've been good if it had crossed over 20,000.

Last edited:
After 19 weeks in the USA:

HTDAAB: 2,612,000

ATYCLB: 2,158,000

STING2 said:

I want U2 to succeed, but I can't help but root for the latter because I prefer it......is that wrong?

STING2 said:
After 19 weeks in the USA:

That's only because HTDAAB was only priced at between $7.99-$10.99 in it's debut week in many retail outlets. If it had been priced at a higher regular price, it wouldn't have sold anywhere near that amount in week 1 and at this time. In fact, it would be lower than AYCLB's sales when comparing both albums' total sales to date.

And there's no way this album is going to outsell AYCLB overall worldwide or in the US, unless similar major price reductions are put in place.

NoControl said:

That's only because HTDAAB was only priced at between $7.99-$10.99 in it's debut week in many retail outlets. If it had been priced at a higher regular price, it wouldn't have sold anywhere near that amount in week 1 and at this time. In fact, it would be lower than AYCLB's sales when comparing both albums' total sales to date.

And there's no way this album is going to outsell AYCLB overall worldwide or in the US, unless similar major price reductions are put in place.

Gee - what a surprise in another negative post from No "Pink Floyd are the greatest and the only band in universe who can so stadiums" Control. And it wasn't just that the first week of sale fyi - they had 3 or 4 weeks of sales at approx 300k at FULL PRICING I believe

USA sales - By the end of the tour and grammies, sales I think will be similar. Record sales are way down from 00 & 01 levels

ROW - HTDAAB is easily outperforming ATYCLB. Look at the U>K stats and Europe - it is nearly at ATYCLB sales already and the to tour thru Europe and 3 singles to come.

US you may have an argument, but not ROW - check your facts and countries certifications next time

zoo tv mcg said:
Gee - what a surprise in another negative post from No "Pink Floyd are the greatest and the only band in universe who can so stadiums" Control. And it wasn't just that the first week of sale fyi - they had 3 or 4 weeks of sales at approx 300k at FULL PRICING I believe

Your point?

Originally posted by zoo tv mcg USA sales - By the end of the tour and grammies, sales I think will be similar. Record sales are way down from 00 & 01 levels

In order to do that, they'd have to average at least 42,000 per week. LOL Maybe you should check your facts?

Originally posted by zoo tv mcg ROW - HTDAAB is easily outperforming ATYCLB. Look at the U>K stats and Europe - it is nearly at ATYCLB sales already and the to tour thru Europe and 3 singles to come.

I'm talking about worldwide.

I think Sting2 got into a wonderful thread argument with you so here goes :

1. They averaged 300k per week for 4 weeks prior to Christmas at standard pricies - Dr Who or Sting2 or Believe correct me if I am wrong.

2. If they need to get 1.7m sales from now to this time next year (to match ATYCLB sales of 4.2m) -average sales would need to be 32k. This could be a reach, but with christmas, more singles, tour etc... they will definitely reach 4x platinum in shipments

3. Last time I checked, Europe was part of the world and the album is already certified at 3 million and the 4 million certification is not far away based on strong sales in the Europe charts in March. ATYLCB is still certified at 4m so the album will easily outsell ATYCLB. It has already done over 1m in the U.K and closing in. At the end of August - bank on HTDAAB at 5m for Europe. In other parts of the world, Japan, South America sales are very close already. In my part of the world, the album is 3x platinum in Australia and ATYCLB is still officially certified at 4x platinum - AND THEY WILL BE TOURING which will take sales to 4x platinum.

Go FLoyd

WHYWHY said:
FINAL NUMBERS:

U2 at 48 (down from 35)

with 19,986 -44%

so the album didn't not increase by 1 sale in that last 7 or so %... that's unfortunate. Would've been good if it had crossed over 20,000.

I can't believe that! how can it not increase by even 1 sale in 7%?
and it also didnt go down a single chart position during that 7% despite not selling a single copy.

seems a bit strange to me. hopefully HITS has got it wrong, but i doubt it

i was expecting sales of at least 25000, aren't the tour and 'sometimes' helping at all? :(

who cares what the album was priced at? nobody will remember that! they will only be interested in how many its sold!!!!

By the way, Do you know that Pink Floyd is over, right now ?, who cares about fossil bands ?.

Pulse ?, Mmmpfh, sucks
Delicate Sound of Thunder ?, arrgh, the same.

Slane show in DVD, blows them out of water.

Let's to talk about sales:

And, yes, HTDAAB will surpass ATYCLB sales, in the next 2 or 3 years, it's a better album, it's a fact as solid as a rock.

My point ?, none, in case No control dares to ask.

I think 2.600.000 in the US by far it's pretty ok...if U2 release a killer single by middle year (something like City Of Blinding Lights, with Mercy as a B-Side)...

In Europe the album is doing very well, and in the summer U2 will tour, so the new single and the tour will keep HTDAAB selling well

In US, during the summer, every 5 or 6 weeks, U2 need to do something, like a TV show or something, during the time the tour will be in Europe..and also a KILLER SINGLE...my ideas:

01) COBL / MERCY
02) Miracle Drug / Mercy / Vertigo (live from Vertifo Tour)
03) COBL / Mercy / LAPOE (live from Vertigo Tour)
04) LAPOE / Mercy / Vertigo (live)

and possibles variations...

DarkAcrobat said:
By the way, Do you know that Pink Floyd is over, right now ?, who cares about fossil bands ?.

Pulse ?, Mmmpfh, sucks
Delicate Sound of Thunder ?, arrgh, the same.

Slane show in DVD, blows them out of water.

Let's to talk about sales:

And, yes, HTDAAB will surpass ATYCLB sales, in the next 2 or 3 years, it's a better album, it's a fact as solid as a rock.

My point ?, none, in case No control dares to ask.

It's quite obvious you don't have a clue of what you are talking about.
Pink Floyd are not over, like you said. This just shows that, besides you dislike Pink Floyd, you are a liar.
Also, this doesnt give you the right make fool of them, since they are one of the biggest/ best bands of all time... just like U2.

I presume when you say that Pulse sucks and Delicate Sound of Thunder too, you are stating your opinion. Because Pulse is IN FACT one of the best shows of all time. Now if you don't like... that's a different story.

Who cares about fossils bands?? What a stupid coment. This just blew out your argumentation.

I still think HTDAAB will surpass ATYCLB in sales. I presume in 2 years HTDAAB will sell 13 million.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom