Hits Week 19

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh yeah?
When are they going to release a new album? It´s ages since the last one (I´m referring to new material). Or is it that they´re going on tour without releasing an album? That would be even more pathetic than the Rolling Stones, at least the latter have an excuse to go on tour.

Eitherway, everyone knows the Floyds were over after Roger Waters departure. When did that happen? Oh yeah, over 20 years ago!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pink Floyd is one of the greatest band ever, but they have long ceased to be RELEVANT.

Nobody cares whether they release anything new or not.

Much like the Rolling Stones ...

Squire said:

It's quite obvious you don't have a clue of what you are talking about.
Pink Floyd are not over, like you said. This just shows that, besides you dislike Pink Floyd, you are a liar.

Pink Floyd's last great album was Animals in 1977............and then they released The Wall in 1979.........everything after that...........meh......

fedeu2 said:
Oh yeah?
When are they going to release a new album? It´s ages since the last one (I´m referring to new material). Or is it that they´re going on tour without releasing an album? That would be even more pathetic than the Rolling Stones, at least the latter have an excuse to go on tour.

Eitherway, everyone knows the Floyds were over after Roger Waters departure. When did that happen? Oh yeah, over 20 years ago!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pink Floyd is one of the greatest band ever, but they have long ceased to be RELEVANT.

Nobody cares whether they release anything new or not.

Much like the Rolling Stones ...

Another one... LOL

Do you know what means "it's over"???. I am not English but it seems i know the meaning. It's a pitty you don't know it too.

If you know the meaning. You are another liar.

"it's over", "they are over" means they quit. They no longer exist. Wich means they DISBANDED!!

Now my questions are:

Did they quit? NO!
Do they exist as a band? YES!
Did they disbanded? NO!

Now is that clear now? Or do you want me to do you a esquematic?
Do you want me, also, to explain what means inactivity?
Perhaps you don't know it to.

So please be carefull with what you are saying. Specially when saying they "were over" after Roger Waters left.... please give me facts and not opinions.

Oh and another thing. Why do bands have to go on tour just to promote albums??? Aren't they free to do it? Is it something so stupid to do? Aren't people allowed to see a band live, anytime?
Seems you have a complete wrong idea what is in fact music.

If Pink Floyd wants to go on tour without a album to promote, they will sold out the whole tour easily just like U2 would do if they do the same.

Last edited:
Oh and by the way NoControl go jump in the pacific ocean im tired of your bullshit.

Here we go again ...

Ok, so, you´re waiting for the official announcement from (the remainings) of Pink Floyd? That´s your choice but face it, Pink Floyd are washed out artists who can only live from nostalgia and an incredible musical past. Not even their fans CARES about what they did after R. Waters left the band. A momentary lapse of (un)reason and Division Bell are crap, if you compare them with true Pink Floyd albums. I´ve discussed this with a great deal of PF fans and they all agree, they couldn´t care less about the last two PF studio albums.

Wait a minute, that´s two albums in over 20 years right?
If that´s not a dead band, please, let me know what it is.

As for tours, maybe you need to get your facts straight, the main REASON to go on tour is to promote a NEW album.
The fact that washed out artists such as RS or PF release an album just to have an excuse to go on tour doesn´t change the original reason tours exist.

Even if PF would sold out every concert everywhere, that´s not the point. The RS would still easily do that and they tour much more often than the Floyd. The point is Pink Floyd has nothing to say in the current music world. That´s why they´re irrelevant.

If you like to live on nostalgia, great, but don´t come here patronizing us, U2 fans.

Oh, and given that you started with the name calling, here´s another one for you: TROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLL!!

If you want to discuss about Pink Floyd go to a Pink Floyd forum, ok?
Same for no control.

Squire said:

Another one... LOL

Do you know what means "it's over"???. I am not English but it seems i know the meaning. It's a pitty you don't know it too.

If you know the meaning. You are another liar.

"it's over", "they are over" means they quit. They no longer exist. Wich means they DISBANDED!!

Now my questions are:

Did they quit? NO!
Do they exist as a band? YES!
Did they disbanded? NO!

Now is that clear now? Or do you want me to do you a esquematic?
Do you want me, also, to explain what means inactivity?
Perhaps you don't know it to.

So please be carefull with what you are saying. Specially when saying they "were over" after Roger Waters left.... please give me facts and not opinions.

Oh and another thing. Why do bands have to go on tour just to promote albums??? Aren't they free to do it? Is it something so stupid to do? Aren't people allowed to see a band live, anytime?
Seems you have a complete wrong idea what is in fact music.

If Pink Floyd wants to go on tour without a album to promote, they will sold out the whole tour easily just like U2 would do if they do the same.

NoControl said:

That's only because HTDAAB was only priced at between $7.99-$10.99 in it's debut week in many retail outlets. If it had been priced at a higher regular price, it wouldn't have sold anywhere near that amount in week 1 and at this time. In fact, it would be lower than AYCLB's sales when comparing both albums' total sales to date.

And there's no way this album is going to outsell AYCLB overall worldwide or in the US, unless similar major price reductions are put in place.

ATYCLB had similar retail pricing at these outlets back in October/November 2000. I purchased ATYCLB onsale the first day for $9.99 but got BOMB on sale the first day for $15.99. I'm sure some non-fans were attracted by the low price at some retail outlets just as some non-fans were back in 2000 for ATYCLB during the first week of release.

Special sales below regular price during the first week are normal for any album, especially during the last week in November. Its unknown how many non-fans were influenced to buy the album at the few retail outlets that had some low prices in the first week. Diehard and regular fans, those that make up the vast majority of album buyers in the first week of release, will buy the album at whatever price they can get it.

The week to week comparison of the two albums is accurate and the arguement about low prices at a few retail oulets in the first week is irrelevant since such pricing activity is normal and is more about influncing fans to come to their store to buy the album as opposed to some other retail outlet, rather than getting someone who is not a fan to buy the album. The record label may be interested in getting non-fans to buy the album, but the retailer is interested in getting as many of the die hard fans and regular fans to come to their store to buy the album because they will indeed buy the album.

fedeu2 said:
Here we go again ...

Ok, so, you´re waiting for the official announcement from (the remainings) of Pink Floyd? That´s your choice but face it, Pink Floyd are washed out artists who can only live from nostalgia and an incredible musical past. Not even their fans CARES about what they did after R. Waters left the band. A momentary lapse of (un)reason and Division Bell are crap, if you compare them with true Pink Floyd albums. I´ve discussed this with a great deal of PF fans and they all agree, they couldn´t care less about the last two PF studio albums.

Wait a minute, that´s two albums in over 20 years right?
If that´s not a dead band, please, let me know what it is.

Yes their last two albums in 20 years are not as good as their 70's albums. But by that you can affirm that they are over??!!!
You have no idea what you are talking about.

Do i have to repeat myself?? Do you REALLY know what means "over"?? Obviously not.

As for tours, maybe you need to get your facts straight, the main REASON to go on tour is to promote a NEW album.
The fact that washed out artists such as RS or PF release an album just to have an excuse to go on tour doesn´t change the original reason tours exist.

Even if PF would sold out every concert everywhere, that´s not the point. The RS would still easily do that and they tour much more often than the Floyd. The point is Pink Floyd has nothing to say in the current music world. That´s why they´re irrelevant.

Well, your argument is hugely non sense, since you first say that if a band will release a record it's only for touring, but then you say if a band tours without a back album it's stupid. More sense ok?

If you like to live on nostalgia, great, but don´t come here patronizing us, U2 fans.

Oh, and given that you started with the name calling, here´s another one for you: TROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLL!!

If you want to discuss about Pink Floyd go to a Pink Floyd forum, ok?
Same for no control.

You can thank your friend DarkAcrobat for starting this argument.
Well i am a U2 fan for more than 10 years. U2 is my favourite band. And if you cant handle an argument, it's not my bad.
So shut the fuck up, you twat!

Last edited:
Squire:

Careful with the name-calling, please.

I happen to agree with the fact that PF has not released much in many years. When people see them in concert, it is NOT for the new material. This is also true for the Stones.

In contrast, people can't wait to see new U2 material live. Sure, we want to hear classics - but judging by how well people know all the HTDAAB songs, clearly this new material has made a huge impact. This same sentiment was true with the JT, AB and ATYCLB tours. I can think of precious few other artists who get fans excited by the new as much as the old.

Ok, let's get a few things straight here.

First of all, Squire: Thank you for your wisdom. You provide objectivity on this forum. And that's more than I can say for many of the people here. Btw, did you know that Floyd sold 140,000 tickets for two nights at Estadio Jose Alvalade in Lisbon on The Division Bell tour in 1994...something no one has ever done before?

For the rest of you " U2 fanboys":

Many Floyd fans that attended The Division Bell & A Momentary Lapse Of Reason tours, enjoyed the material. These two above studio albums have sold just as many copies in the US and nearly worldwide as U2's past two studio albums. Hence people are interested in hearing and seeing them perform these songs live (many of my friends and myself included). If you've seen the live videos from these tours, it's very easy to tell that. Also, Roger Waters wasn't their main songwriter - they all were. He only wrote the majority of material on The Wall & all of the material on The Final Cut. I personally don't care if Waters is in the band anymore. And IMO he didn't write most of the best songs - they all did. Roger's a great lyricist and songwriter - as long as he primarily collaborated with members of Floyd. But as a musician and singer, he stinks compared to Gilmour, Wright & Mason. I mean, fucking hell, Gilmour used to play Waters' bass parts on many early Floyd albums - that's how much Roger sucked at playing bass. And Squire is right: Pink Floyd haven't broken up. They're still a band - just inactive. And don't even get me started on how more popular they are than U2 in terms of record sales and concert attendance, etc.

As far as relevance is concerned, that's an opinion. IMO U2 stopped being relevant in 1999. And IMO, The Stones, they're a fucking joke (just like U2 is at present) and have never been relevant. And their past two studio albums haven't sold shit.

Sting2: Tell me something I don't know, would ya? Also, what you say doesn't detract from the fact that HTDAAB wouldn't have sold the way it did if it hadn't had a price reduction - and that reduction wasn't just in "a few" retail outlets either and doesn't necessarily exist for "any" album.

Oh and Yahweh: nothing I've said to you is bullshit. And just to let you know, I prefer the Atlantic Ocean myself...

Last edited:
NoControl said:
These two above studio albums have sold just as many copies in the US and nearly worldwide as U2's past two studio albums.

Are you saying that Momentary lapse .. and Division bell have sold at least 10 million copies worldwide?? Hmmm, unless you prove me wrong I doubt it.

Hence people are interested in hearing and seeing them perform these songs live (many of my friends and myself included).

That´s not true. The vast majority of people who go to see PF live is for the 70´s material, face it once and for all.

And don't even get me started on how more popular they are than U2 in terms of record sales and concert attendance, etc.

Overall, it is true Pink Floyd has sold more albums than U2 but nowadays I don´t think anyone could argue that PF are more popular than U2!!!!!!!!!!!! Anyone but you, that is.
By the way, no control, if PF is so relevant as you imply and people are dying to hear the new (post RW) material, tell us why the vast majority of back catalogue sales are from albums such as DSOTM and The wall.

As far as relevance is concerned, that's an opinion. IMO U2 stopped being relevant in 1999. And IMO, The Stones, they're a fucking joke (just like U2 is at present) and have never been relevant. And their past two studio albums haven't sold shit.

The Stones have never been relevant?? Please, stop the nonsense.

Originally posted by fedeu2 Are you saying that Momentary lapse .. and Division bell have sold at least 10 million copies worldwide?? Hmmm, unless you prove me wrong I doubt it.

You didn't read what I said. And The Division Bell's 16 country total was 7 Million copies sold...and that was years ago. And we all know how many countries there are in the world, don't we? It's not too far fetched to believe that it's sold 10 Million copies worldwide to date.

Originally posted by fedeu2 That´s not true. The vast majority of people who go to see PF live is for the 70´s material, face it once and for all.

Yes it is true. Sales figures prove that. And then why is The Division Bell (their fifth biggest selling album) many of my friend's favourite Floyd album?

Originally posted by fedeu2 Overall, it is true Pink Floyd has sold more albums than U2 but nowadays I don´t think anyone could argue that PF are more popular than U2!!!!!!!!!!!! Anyone but you, that is.

Originally posted by fedeu2 By the way, no control, if PF is so relevant as you imply and people are dying to hear the new (post RW) material, tell us why the vast majority of back catalogue sales are from albums such as DSOTM and The wall.

ROTFLMFAO! Floyd had outsold U2 in terms of album sales and in concert attendance in just about every market in the world at higher prices in the past and would easily now, as their attendances NEVER decrease even though their ticket prices INCREASE in almost every market worldwide. You can't say that about U2 or any other artist(s), apart from some markets. Not to mention their annual back catalogue sales are higher than any artist(s) in the world (4 Million), apart from The Beatles! And plenty of Floyd's albums outsell U2's annually. Not just the The Wall and not just The Dark Side Of The Moon. But Echoes...The Best Of..., The Division Bell, A Momentary Lapse Of Reason, Animals, etc., etc.

Originally posted by fedeu2 The Stones have never been relevant?? Please, stop the nonsense. [/B]

That's why it's an opinion you....oh wait I can't call you a dirty name, because this site is run by fascists!

Oh well, good night.

NO Control,

Maybe if you are so passionate about Floyd, maybe go to their websites and post away. This is a U2 website last time I checked and I could not care a crap about comparing them to the Rolling Stone, Pink Floyd who-ever.

Say what you want, but we all enjoying listening to U2's latest 2004 RELEASE and 2005 TOUR. History is just that - history.

Get over it man and move on

Yes NoControl, Pink Floyd sold 140.000 tickets in Portugal. It's a very unique thing.

I am sorry if i offended you Fedeu2. But i don't admit you to call me a troll, simply because i am not. U2 is my favourite band. Just like Pink Floyd, and i don't like people starting saying things that are untrue.

For me, as a fan of U2, i have the right to my opinion, and i personally don't like the last 2 albums. They are not even in my Top 5. Wich doesn't mean they are bad albums. Far from that! I think they are probably one of the best from the year they came.

I think U2 are still relevant, since people still care about them.
But it's also true that U2 are a more comercial band nowadays than Pink Floyd were at the time of Division Bell for example. Wich of course makes them more attractive to MTV and radio. Those are the things that make U2 relevant as a band. But as musicians i don't think they are no more since their experimentalism it's over now. It's more of the same. Their last two albums prove that. it's just my opinion. But i still love U2!

What the hell happened to this thread? U2, Pink Floyd and the Rolling Stones are all huge bands and all have been extremely relevant at one time or another (there is no way that opinion comes into it, it is a fact, regardless of whether individual people like them or not. Any sensible list of the top 10 greatest rock bands of all time would include all 3 bands.

Now, can we talk about U2 sales? If not, wake up mods, close this thread!

NoControl said:

That's why it's an opinion you....oh wait I can't call you a dirty name, because this site is run by fascists!

Oh well, good night.

fas·cism
n.

1. often Fascism
1. A system of government marked by centralization of authority under a dictator, stringent socioeconomic controls, suppression of the opposition through terror and censorship, and typically a policy of belligerent nationalism and racism.
2. A political philosophy or movement based on or advocating such a system of government.
2. Oppressive, dictatorial control.

:hmm:

Nope, we just have a few simple rules meant to keep the place running smoothly, and to be as comfortable and welcoming for our members as possible. Too bad some people want to resort to calling others "dirty names". Good night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom