Hits Week 18

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Who will take first place Moby or Queens Of The Stone Age?:eyebrow:

Can U2 come back into the top 40?:eyebrow:

Last edited:
6.06%

U2 # 22 with 2,087

if this carrys on HTDAAB should sell 40000 copies this week!! thats about a 100% increase in 2 weeks:)

:larry: :adam: :bono: :edge:

Last edited:
Awesome!

Let's hope it can maintain during the tour. it's not impossible. In fact i think it's quite possible :)

This week's chart info should have the maximum sales effect from the R&R HoF. 2nd, Sometimes is becoming a crossover hit in the U.S., and while it may not top BB, it is topping radio airplay charts already. 3rd, the tour begins. Whatever this week's sales turnout to be, if U2 is going to consistently be in the Top 25-30, they have to have hit singles.

Here's a quote from Jam Music, which is actually very accurate: "Not that long-time band manager Paul McGuinness sounds at all worried about the group, whose longevity after 27 years seems assured given their most recent album, How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb, has sold nine million copies worldwide largely on the success of just one single, Vertigo."

HTDAAB has 5 or 6 hit singles IMO, so the long-term potential is indeed amazing.

Hits is all over the place, but...

You can't really predict sales using Hits as a guide, but regardless of chart position, to be at about 21,000 in sales with another 35% to go does give me some hope about another double digit % increase in sales, which is what matters most. That being said, overall sales look to be up this week, which may mean that the Easter week/Spring Break does represent a buying spree, and kids do buy U2 albums. No predictions, though, as we are dealing with the most unpredictable running database I've ever seen.

P.S. There are 11 debuts ahead of U2 right now...many of which will be short-lived at their debut positions.

Last edited:
Now we're talking!

After Hits teased us with U2 getting as high as #18 in the early counting only to fall to 45 with 70% in, HTDAAB makes a strong finish to come in at #35 with a 48% sales gain to 35749 albums sold! 11 debuts were in front of U2 with 70% in...that dropped to 8 with the final tally.

Other notables:

J. Lo's Rebirth drops out of the Top 10 w/0% increase in sales...let the free-fall begin!

Eminem drops from 11 to 21 on a 3% decline in sales, when many artists saw significant increases...

Albums 20 through 50 are separated by about 700 copies per position, on average, so BB results could vary somewhat again.
It's especially close for U2. At #35, HTDAAB is less than 500 copies from the Top 30! At the same time, it's nearly 3000 copies from #40. Hopefully, this means that any BB difference is on the ++ side.

U2 had the 5th highest % gain out of the 50 albums listed!

Last edited:
Re: Now we're talking!

beLIEve said:
After Hits teased us with U2 getting as high as #18 in the early counting only to fall to 45 with 70% in, HTDAAB makes a strong finish to come in at #35 with a 48% sales gain to 35749 albums sold! 11 debuts were in front of U2 with 70% in...that dropped to 8 with the final tally.

Other notables:

J. Lo's Rebirth drops out of the Top 10 w/0% increase in sales...let the free-fall begin!

Eminem drops from 11 to 21 on a 3% decline in sales, when many artists saw significant increases...

Albums 20 through 50 are separated by about 700 copies per position, on average, so BB results could vary somewhat again.

HTDAAB is less than 500 copies from the Top 30!

U2 had the 5th highest % gain out of the 50 albums listed!

I know a lot of people said that there is no Easter sales increase, but from my years of studying the charts, I've always observed some increase - sometimes a small one, but there was an increase. This is due to kids being on holiday and Easter gifts. You give teens a day off and they will be in the malls buying CD's and DVD's and seeing movies. This is also why the movies last Friday saw higher grosses than normal - most teens had off.

In U2's case, the full effect of the R&R HofF show combined with Easter appeared to give them a bigger boost. Additionally, perhaps "Sometimes..." is being played more which may also be giving the album a boost.

Now that the tour has started, hopefully HTDAAB will remain steady this coming week.

Regardless, I'm just happy that my years of studying the charts proved useful. LOL! :)

Re: Hits is all over the place, but...

beLIEve said:

That being said, overall sales look to be up this week, which may mean that the Easter week/Spring Break does represent a buying spree, and kids do buy U2 albums.

Dr. Who,

The section above from my earlier post was my nod to your expertise, if you didn't catch that...I remember all your posts from ATYCLB and you are the one that turned me into the chart junkie that I am today!

Re: Re: Hits is all over the place, but...

beLIEve said:

Dr. Who,

The section above from my earlier post was my nod to your expertise, if you didn't catch that...I remember all your posts from ATYCLB and you are the one that turned me into the chart junkie that I am today!

Why thank you for the kind words! :dancing:

Clearly the Easter effect isn't like the Christmas effect. The top albums still saw a decrease - but I think Easter helped make the drops a bit smaller. And that's what often happens with Easter. Albums that drop have smaller drops than normal (like J. Lo's album) and many albums see a slight increase.

Given that Easter was so early this year, most kids didn't have their full spring break yet. That will come in April, so we might see the charts remain relatively stable for a few weeks.

I finally heard "Sometimes..." on the radio today - and it was at a "normal" time (around 7 p.m.). So if this song starts getting some "real" radio air time, it could really give HTDAAB a boost. This combined with the tour and the boost the album has already received and the upcoming spring breaks will hopefully keep HTDAAB relatively stable throughout April.

Back
Top Bottom