Hits is back ! Week 6 watch--

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The final numbers are in and HTDAAB is sitting at #16!!!

To drop from #3 to #16 is quite alarming. What caused them to drop so heavily after doing well for so long, while everyone else stayed strong? Why did other artists have comparatively strong post-Christmas sales? Why is Green Day suddenly flying back up the charts? Is it the new song? Is it a sale on Green Day's CD?

In 2000, the week after Christmas saw a significant sales drop for ATYCLB, but one that was reasonable and in line with all other albums. HTDAAB's drop seems enormous. Maybe SoundScan's numbers will tack on a few extra thousand to HTDAAB and may even push it up a few notches, but overall, this drop is worrisome. Last week, they sell 350,000 copies and this week - a week where kids were off from school - they don't even clear 100,000 copies? :scratch:

It's a VERY good thing that U2's ABoY is getting some national exposure tonight on TV (with the college football championship bowl game).

KUEFC09U2 said:
:( such low numbers, is this common in the US post christmas?

Actually, the numbers are higher than normal.

Typically, an album at #20 on the charts has sales of around 50,000 units. An album at #50 on the charts has sales of around 20,000 units. Looking at HITS' data, you can see that the #20 position has sales of over 70,000 units and the #50 position has sales of over 43,000 units.

That said, sales are far lower than I expected. I had anticipated HTDAAB to be at around 150,000 units sold. I figured the top albums would be closer to 250,000 units sold. In fact, the whole chart is very tight - all albums are fairly close to each other. I am amazed that HTDAAB had such a huge drop after holding SO strong since its debut. This drop corresponds with the plummet in the U.K.

What's going on? Is there a sale of some kind pushing up these other albums? For both the U.S. and the U.K. to see the same results is odd...

KUEFC09U2 said:
so are you saying the album has gone from being a massive hit.. too a flop?

No.

Are you?

I'm just saying I'm surprised at this large drop. I expected sales higher for ALL artists. I also expected HTDAAB to have sales of around 150,000 units. To see numbers below 100,000 surprises me - as does the huge drop on the charts (in both the U.S. and the U.K.).

This suggests that the effects of "Vertigo" and the iTunes/iPod ad have now completely worn off and it's definitely time for another single or that there is a sale pushing other albums up the charts quite a bit.

Regardless, future weeks and months will determine the success of this album. ABoY is just getting started and the tour has yet to be announced. Once ABoY is played on national TV tonight, we see U2 on SNL again this Saturday (repeat) and U2's name gets mentioned for tour dates and ticket sales, this should keep the album strong for a while.

I think the massive sales we experienced for the holidays were a treat. This album will probably now go to the steady, but softer sales ATYCLB had. Steady and slow brought ATYCLB to 4.2M in total U.S. sales, so nothing wrong with that.

Kids are out of school...

Maybe the fact that the "kids" were out of school in the U.S., and likely the U.K., the charts reflect what "kids" are buying today. Plus, no one, not even us "chart watchers", expected U2 to sell so many albums so fast right out of the box...world wide sales are likely near 6M+, with U.S. sales about 2.2M. That's amazing for six weeks or so.

The Vertigo success/album promotion is now over. IF NOTHING else was planned, then I'd say this album would sell about 2M worldwide in 2005. However, we have a

1) massive world tour on the horizon
2) two singles and videos to be released soon
3) a potential for 4-6 more singles & videos
4) awards nominations, live appearances, and awards accepted

This should last over the next 10 months, with item #4 going on into 2006. This album has not been a flop, and it won't be a flop.

beLIEve me

doctorwho said:
The final numbers are in and HTDAAB is sitting at #16!!!

Last week, they sell 350,000 copies and this week - a week where kids were off from school - they don't even clear 100,000 copies?

We have simply to think that maybe the kids don't like HTDAAB!
This incredible drop is a very very bad sign expecially considering that it has confirmation on a worldwide scale too!
Let's hope in the next singles..but ,please, U2 promotion staff,do you know where is Europe??

I once read on hits or billboard that after Christmas, kids hit the record stores with their gift certificates and/or exchange cds for ones they really want. If you'll notice, the top 10 is almost all youth oriented (hip hop/pop punk). Shania, Toby Keith and U2 all dropped.

Last edited:
Re: Re: Tower Record Sales

shutdown said:

I just checked and Borders and Virgin both had U2 at # 1 on their charts. FredMeyer and Hastings did not have them on their Top 10 at all.

Is it possible that U2 cd's are empty in those stores? :wink:

ATYCLB first 9 weeks:

428,000 + 176,000 + 119,000 + 125,000 + 100,000 + 113,000
+ 154,000 + 259,000(CHRISTMAS WEEK) + 108,000

My prediction for "BOMB"s first 6 weeks after seeing figures for the first two weeks.

840,000 + 288,000 + 190,000 + 250,000 + 410,000 + 165,000

Actual results for "Bomb" so far:

840,000 + 288,000 + 280,000 + 299,000 + 350,000 + 86,000

TOTAL after 6 weeks in the USA for "BOMB" : 2,143,000

Well, if these HITS figures hold up tomorrow with Soundscan, then this is a 75% drop for BOMB in the United States, the week after Christmas.

Remember though that ATYCLB did experience a 58% drop in its first week after Christmas as well. ATYCLB sold 108,000 copies in the post Christmas week compared to 86,000 for BOMB. This is the first time ATYCLB has beaten "BOMB" in a parallel week from 4 years ago in the USA.

The drop is a little deeper percentage wise than it was for ATYCLB.

Its difficult to say what the reason is, but remember where Beautiful Day was at this time on the HOT 100 compared to where Vertigo is, and I think that explains it.

Beautiful Day I believe, was still rising at this point at radio, and Vertigo already peaked weeks ago. Vertigo is still doing well, but it has already definitely peaked.

Most U2 fans in the USA are not "Kids", so that would explain why "BOMB" dropped heavily in chart position as "Kids" spend their week off with their music store checks buying Green Day and Emimem.

Dr. Who,

Do you have ATYCLB chart position in the post Christmas week?

When you look at it from the perspective of a 58% drop 4 years ago vs. a 75% drop this post Christmas week, it does not look as bad. With the rush to buy the new album and the Christmas buying season over, I'd say the real difference is the level of radio airplay Beautiful Day was receiving VS. the level of airplay VERTIGO was receiving.

I actually think next week will be the real test though. ATYCLB slipped to around 60,000 units in its 2nd post Christmas week. Right now, it looks like "BOMB" will probably do around 50,000 next week.

I think if ABOY can do as well as VERTIGO did, this will really help. Remember that the follow on singles to BD did not do very well when it came to the HOT 100.

While the Grammy ceremonies coming up will not be as great as they were 4 years ago, the band have the Rock Hall Of Fame Ceremonies this time around and the BUZZ of a new tour that this time around has fans already holding more than twice as many copies of "BOMB" as they did for ATYCLB at this point.

After 6 weeks of release in the USA:

BOMB: 2,143,000

ATYCLB: 1,061,000

Hits has a tendancy to be a bit low on the U2 numbers, although I doubt very much the numbers will change that much for them to go in the top 10.

I think the Orange Bowl tonight will have an effect on the numbers that come out for this week...at least I hope it does.

Consistancy is what I am looking for in this album and this is the first week US wise that it hasnt shown that consistancy....but if it can stay in the top 20 for the next few months id be very satisfied.

ATYCLB sold more in the same week of 4 years ago...but something must have happened as 108K copies weren't enough to crack the top 20 (#22) while now with only 86k HTDAAB is #16 and 108k would be enough to enter the top 10

Probably we have to consider that the last week has been a "short" one: no saturday sales...and i don't think that on friday (last day of the year) there was the typical weekend rush (at least i don't believe of people running to music shops on the last day of the year except kids with gift certificates).

The current week will be surely stronger with a full weekend of sales.

P.S.
Green Day performance is really impressive: the new single is having a big impact both side of the Atlantic...it'll be a close call between GD and EM for the world #1 this week

Last edited:
Hi,
I´m new here.
According to RS (sorry, I´m not allowed to post the link) the Bomb sold 95,000 copies this week and slided down to #14.
Oh well, at least it is a bit better than what Hits had estimated.

F.

Thanks Fedeu2! That's far better news.

I was still expecting HTDAAB to sell 100,000+ copies. I anticipated the top sellers to be 250-300,000 copies, with HTDAAB at 150,000. Obviously, the top sellers sold less than I expected. As was already pointed out, in 2000, the week after Xmas saw ATYCLB with 108,000 in sales, yet only a #22 chart position (if I recall). So clearly overall sales were lower than expected for this time of year.

Nonetheless, the closer HTDAAB is to 100K in sales and to the Top 10, the better. I'll take 95K and #14 over 88K and #16. ;) :yes:

Here is the Rolling Stone article:
Eminem's Encore held onto the top slot this week, selling another 198,000 copies for its fourth non-consecutive week at Number One since its November release, according to Nielsen SoundScan. Green Day's American Idiot, boosted by holiday sales and its spot on numerous year-end lists, sold 171,000 to jump seven places to Number Two, while Lil Jon's Crunk Juice climbed twelve spots to return to its debut spot of Number Three (144,000), on the strength of the Grammy nominations for Usher's "Yeah!" (produced by Jon) and recent rumors of a feud with the R&B superstar.

Rounding out the Top Five are Jay-Z and Linkin Park's MTV mash-up release, Collision Course, which jumped four places to Number Four (135,000), and Ludacris' The Red Light District, which rises five to Five (126,000). Tupac Shakur's third posthumous chart-topper, Loyal to the Game, also sees a rebound this week, reversing momentum to hop five places back into the Top Ten (Number Eight, 115,000).

Long-standing releases also enjoyed some positive post-holiday movement, with Snoop Dogg's R&G (Rhythm and Gangsta): The Masterpiece and Gwen Stefani's Love, Angel, Music, Baby rebounding nine and six places, respectively, to take Eleven (100,000) and Fifteen (86,000). And R&B divas are also on the up, with Ciara's Goodies and Ashanti's Concrete Rose both climbing up six spots to take Eighteen (76,000) and Sixteen (84,000), respectively.

But the week's revelation was R&B singer/pianist (and Kanye West protege) John Legend, whose solo debut, Get Lifted, opened at Number Seven (116,000).

On the outs are U2's How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb, which came to the end of its six-week Top Ten reign, sliding eleven spots down to Number Fourteen (95,000). And country giant Toby Keith's blockbuster Greatest Hits 2 dropped a whopping thirteen places to barely hold onto the Top Twenty (Twenty, 68,000).

Next week, look to see if recently deceased hip-hop legend Ol' Dirty Bastard will have the posthumous pull of Tupac, as Osirus, an album of original material recorded in the rapper's last six months and released by his mother, hits the charts. The record's success may determine whether or not ODB's tracks for his Roc-A-Fella debut will ever see the light of day.

This week's Top Ten: Eminem's Encore; Green Day's American Idiot; Lil Jon's Crunk Juice; Jay-Z and Linkin Park's Collision Course; Ludacris' The Red Light District; Usher's Confessions; John Legend's Get Lifted; Tupac Shakur's Loyal to the Game; Now That's What I Call Music! 17; Destiny's Child's Destiny Fulfilled.

Found at this link.

So based on this news... the #1 album didn't even sell 200,000 copies! This is not normal for a post-Christmas week. This is the type of week I'd expect to see NOW, not for last week. No wonder the music industry is complaining about sales. For U2 to still have sold almost 100K is actually rather impressive, even if they did slip out of the Top 10. Given the overall week sales, it's very possible for U2 to pop back into the Top 10 in future weeks (due to ABoY or tour news, etc.).

fedeu2 said:
Hi,
I´m new here.
According to RS (sorry, I´m not allowed to post the link) the Bomb sold 95,000 copies this week and slided down to #14.
Oh well, at least it is a bit better than what Hits had estimated.

F.

HELLO Fedeu2,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the update!

With the new figures from Fedeu2, here is how things break down:

ATYCLB first 9 weeks:

428,000 + 176,000 + 119,000 + 125,000 + 100,000 + 113,000
+ 154,000 + 259,000(CHRISTMAS WEEK) + 108,000

My prediction for "BOMB"s first 6 weeks after seeing figures for the first two weeks.

840,000 + 288,000 + 190,000 + 250,000 + 410,000 + 165,000

Actual results for "Bomb" so far:

840,000 + 288,000 + 280,000 + 299,000 + 350,000 + 95,000

TOTAL after 6 weeks in the USA for "BOMB" : 2,152,000

It will be interesting to see next weeks figures.

840,000 + 288,000 + 280,000 + 299,000 + 350,000 + 95,000

Hmmm....350K to 95K in one week, especially since U2 was around 300K for 4 weeks in a row. That's extremely surprising. I'm tending to think that it wasn't a full week of chart sales, especially since the number one album, as said earlier, didn't even break 200K. I just find that, so strange. Last year sales were much better for Christmas week, and even when ATYCLB was out (obviously).

This, to me doesn't really seem like lack of selling in U2's part. I'm thinking it was more of either a technical glitch or not a full week of sales. That drastic drop after 288, 280, 299, 350 then 95 just makes no sense at all. A drop to 150 is more realistic.

I agree with others in that next week U2 will bounce right back. That's one of the oddest chart things I have seen.

It is disappointing for the album to slide out of the top 10 in both the U.K and the USA, but the album will definitely re-enter the U.K top 10 (this is a certainty) and hopefully the US top 10. I suspect the album will plateau again just like after it 1st week of release where it sold b/w 280 and 350k per week for 4 weeks - it may hover around the 100k mark for a few weeks and hopefully back in the top 10.

While this weeks chart is surprising, the fact that the album has already sold approx 6m copies and spent 3 weeks at number 1 in the U.K (a record for a U2 album) and 5 weeks in the US top 5 (most recent u2 albums slide out of the top 5 after a couple of weeks so this album had more high selling firepower) is an amazing result.

And in reality, this week was always going to be a tough week in both the USA and ROW - right b/w singles and the christmas/Vertigo/IPod thing has now diminished. Now with the video for ABOY released stateside and Sometimes for the ROW not far away either, I hope the second single can give the album a second wind.

I want this album to sell 5m stateside by Christmas 2005 and to do this, it needs to sell at about 60k per week.

PS the rumour of the postponed tour should not harm long term as the dates are shifted back a month - this is still waiting for confirmation

Back
Top Bottom