Hits Daily Double WEEK 2 watch...#1 again ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
doctorwho said:
Matching ATYCLB? Way too early to tell. ATYCLB had fantastic legs. Its final sales were about 10x its debut week sales! That's some legs!! :ohmy: If HTDAAB were to sell at that pace, it'd have to sell 8M+ copies!! As much as I'd love for that to happen, I don't think so. ;)

No, but 4.5M isn't out of the question and that is only 5x its debut week sales. ;)

A third of the precincts are reporting.......the new album has a 20 K lead over the JayZ/Linkin Park project......Shania Twain is currently in second, but I'm guessing it's because southern areas are where a lot of the reports are coming in from......so I'd expect the Linkin Z release to come closer to HTDAAB once the cities and more urban areas start reporting.

What BigMacPhisto said. Here are the numbers:

1 1 U2 HOW TO DISMANTLE AN ATOMIC BOMB 89,637
3 2 SHANIA TWAIN GREATEST HITS 69,632
-- 3 JAY-Z/LINKIN PARK COLLISION COURSE 66,286
2 4 EMINEM ENCORE 64,807
-- 5 KELLY CLARKSON BREAKAWAY 64,325

And also keep in mind that the second half is always less positive for U2 (compared to other acts). Still, a 20K lead is nice. :)

C ya!

Marty

Popmartijn said:
What BigMacPhisto said. Here are the numbers:

1 1 U2 HOW TO DISMANTLE AN ATOMIC BOMB 89,637
3 2 SHANIA TWAIN GREATEST HITS 69,632
-- 3 JAY-Z/LINKIN PARK COLLISION COURSE 66,286
2 4 EMINEM ENCORE 64,807
-- 5 KELLY CLARKSON BREAKAWAY 64,325

And also keep in mind that the second half is always less positive for U2 (compared to other acts). Still, a 20K lead is nice. :)

C ya!

Marty

Last week though, the first half indicated sales below 600,000. It was the second half where the sales really went up.

Fox News all over again?

Anyone else think that the folks at "Hits" jumped the gun due to early returns with their prediction of U2's fall out of the top spot? Or, do they actually know more than they show on their website? Personally, I think U2 will stay on top, and their story will change by tomorrow afternoon...

I agree with Sting2 and beLIEve.

Last week, both Hits and FOX were predicting sales of 750,000 copies or LESS based on early reports. In fact, after 1/3 of the stores had reported, it looked like sales might only reach 600,000 copies.

Instead, as we all know, U2 came on strong on the second day and was able to fly past the 800,000 mark.

Granted, this isn't the 1M mark some thought would occur based on opening day sales. However, U2's opening day is like a highly anticipated movie - everyone rushes out to buy the CD (or see the movie) on the first day. Additionally, the holiday week threw everything off. Many stores were closed on Thanksgiving, essentially causing U2 to lose an entire day of sales thanks to Thanksgiving. ;) Add in that extra day of sales, and maybe U2 would have hit 900,000+ copies sold.

Going back to the topic, tomorrow I expect to see the big numbers come in. Two weeks ago I feared Jay-Z would threaten the top spot, yet some here told me that it's just a "remix" album and nothing to fear. Clearly, this isn't true. Jay-Z was one reason why U2 didn't hit #1 back in 2000. So now, we'll have to see if this remix can really boot U2 from the top. I have faith though that places like Best Buy will really swing in U2's favor. I've gone to two Best Buy's lately, one just today. The store had no HTDAAB copies out! I asked about it and they said they sold out and had to order more. They had just got in a big shipment and hadn't had time to start restocking the shelves. The other store was the same way - I saw only a handful of HTDAAB copies out! So I'm expecting a big jump in sales once we get the Best Buy data incorporated.

I want to stress again, if the sales numbers prove to be very close, and if Hits declares Jay-Z as #1 for the week, I still won't consider it official until Billboard's numbers are released. The slight difference between SoundScan and Hits could be enough to shift things in U2's favor (or, as the case may be, against them).

Last edited:
doctorwho said:
I agree with Sting2 and beLIEve.

Last week, both Hits and FOX were predicting sales of 750,000 copies or LESS based on early reports. In fact, after 1/3 of the stores had reported, it looked like sales might only reach 600,000 copies.

Instead, as we all know, U2 came on strong on the second day and was able to fly past the 800,000 mark.

Granted, this isn't the 1M mark some thought would occur based on opening day sales. However, U2's opening day is like a highly anticipated movie - everyone rushes out to buy the CD (or see the movie) on the first day. Additionally, the holiday week threw everything off. Many stores were closed on Thanksgiving, essentially causing U2 to lose an entire day of sales thanks to Thanksgiving. ;) Add in that extra day of sales, and maybe U2 would have hit 900,000+ copies sold.

Going back to the topic, tomorrow I expect to see the big numbers come in. Two weeks ago I feared Jay-Z would threaten the top spot, yet some here told me that it's just a "remix" album and nothing to fear. Clearly, this isn't true. Jay-Z was one reason why U2 didn't hit #1 back in 2000. So now, we'll have to see if this remix can really boot U2 from the top. I have faith though that places like Best Buy will really swing in U2's favor. I've gone to two Best Buy's lately, one just today. The store had no HTDAAB copies out! I asked about it and they said they sold out and had to order more. They had just got in a big shipment and hadn't had time to start restocking the shelves. The other store was the same way - I saw only a handful of HTDAAB copies out! So I'm expecting a big jump in sales once we get the Best Buy data incorporated.

I want to stress again, if the sales numbers prove to be very close, and if Hits declares Jay-Z as #1 for the week, I still won't consider it official until Billboard's numbers are released. The slight difference between SoundScan and Hits could be enough to shift things in U2's favor (or, as the case may be, against them).

Which leads to an interesting question, how often have "Hits" and Soundscan had different #1 albums for the same week, if ever?

STING2 said:
Last week though, the first half indicated sales below 600,000. It was the second half where the sales really went up.

But it was the last third where sales dragged. Last week, with 70% of the data in, U2 had sold about 735K, with Eminem far behind at ~325K. So U2 had about a 55% lead over Eminem. However, in the last third of the counting, U2 'only' added 100K to their total, as did Eminem. Yet, relatively speaking, Eminem (and many other artists) did far better. This week, U2 don't benefit from that first week rush, so it should be interesting to see how they'll get through that final third.
As others have said, when the Hits numbers for U2 & Jay-Z are close, we'll have to wait for the Billboard numbers to get a definite answer.

C ya!

Marty

They have started counting again. Now, with 52.72% in, it looks like this:

-- 1 JAY-Z/LINKIN PARK COLLISION COURSE 183,664
1 2 U2 HOW TO DISMANTLE AN ATOMIC BOMB 150,713
2 3 EMINEM ENCORE 120,451
-- 4 NAS STREET'S DISCIPLE 119,673
-- 5 T.I. URBAN LEGEND 119,643

am not all that dissapointed to be fair.... so what the jay z and Linkin park album will be forgotten about this time next year... where as U2 will still be on a massive tour,

57%:

JAY-Z/LINKIN PARK WARNER BROS. 216,286
COLLISION COURSE
1 2 U2 INTERSCOPE 161,041
HOW TO DISMANTLE AN ATOMIC BOMB
-- 3 NAS COLUMBIA/CRG 155,316
STREET'S DISCIPLE
-- 4 T.I. ATLANTIC/ATL G 138,953
URBAN LEGEND
2 5 EMINEM SHADY/INTERSCOPE 133,378

Sorry my ignorance,but who is/are NAS?

KUEFC09U2 said:
am not all that dissapointed to be fair.... so what the jay z and Linkin park album will be forgotten about this time next year... where as U2 will still be on a massive tour,

That's the odd thing about Jay-Z. Barring a few exceptions, most of his albums sell 2x Platinum at best. Don't be fooled, those are great numbers, but he releases 1 to 2 albums per year and it seems they are out there, bought and then gone - on to the next thing. If Jay-Z was gone for 4 years like U2, unless he got a big hype for some "comeback", I doubt he'd sell as well as U2. Granted, he does have his hits, which helped his last album do VERY well. I think it's the success of that last album that's pushing this remix to heights that it would not have normally obtained.

and T.I Atlantic ? Rap artist,of course!? 4 rappers in the first 5!!??
Bono go rapping,please!!! All we need is " ha ha hi hi hu hu fuck you fuck you,hi hi haha huhu hihiii fuck me fuck mii!!" A "rapremix raverap vs.Jay Z version featuring Nas&Eminem" of Miracle Drug!!

does seem abit over the top that there are 4 rappers in the top 5... rap does nothing for me at all..... so i personally dont get how people can listen to it... i mean whats with all the hand movement?

I'm not saying all teenagers... i am only 22 and have been listening to classic rock and alternative rock since i was 14, because it's what I like. But, my younger brother and all his friends seem to enjoy rap the most. There will always be exeptions. I can't say I don't like rap & hip-hop completely because i find myself liking some songs here and there, but it doesn't happen often because I don't listen to radio stations that play that kind of music.

I'm only guessing that rap artists must know that their cds make great xmas gifts for teens and release this time of year.

I am not against rap,rappers or teens that listen to this kind of music. For me the problem is that this music seems to me so ripetitive,built over no musical creativity and boring too.
When i listen to this music i think: how do these americans distinguish a rapper from another?? They sound all the same!!
I repeat it's a miracle to see U2 fighting vs. this rappers at the same level..
However,musically speaking, it's a sign of deteriorating times...

so do we class HTDAAB as a failure? if it is to drop down to number 2 and recive just 300.000 sales in its second week?

KUEFC09U2 said:
so do we class HTDAAB as a failure? if it is to drop down to number 2 and recive just 300.000 sales in its second week?

I would never call it a failure just because it fell to #2 in week 2. I don't think this album will be a failure and we can't predict what will happen in the weeks following. This album is still young, let's give it a chance ;).

Sales of 300,000 in its second week is very impressive if we look at previous U2 albums. So far, I think it's far from a failure.

KUEFC09U2 said:

Of course, absolutely not! I think it'a great success!! Just hope it will be able to have good legs as ATYCLB. Hope also that this consistent drop is phisiological and not due to the fact it is not really appreciated there in the States!..we will see..

..after reading the first 15-20 places..sorry to say this..but anybody there knows what is rock-music??..raps&stripes..

I was hoping for over 300,000 sales this week, but I can understand the big drop... U2 had a big drop in the second week for ATYCLB even though they held onto #5.
#2 is still great, let's hope they can remain in the top 5 for a couple more weeks and top 10 for longer still :)

As I wrote in another thread, we have to look at it in other ways.

U2, in their second week, beat out numerous other several debuts from rap artists. They beat out debuts from an American Idol (Kelly Clarkson). They are still ahead of Eminem.

In just 13 days (Tuesday, Nov. 23rd through Sunday, Dec. 5th), U2 sold over 1.1M copies of HTDAAB. Eminem sold 1.6M copies of his current release in 10 days. Think about this - U2 are in league with Eminem in terms of sales!!

The best part is that this week could be the low point. Sales should be relatively steady or increase (especially Christmas week) from here on out.

and proof that it could be down to the "thanks giving slump" that doctorwho is on about...... its still number one here in the UK with a less than 40% drop in sales. which is brilliant:wink:

Back
Top Bottom