Hits Daily Double watch....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What a finish... great figures by U2. Let's hope that the drop to next week will not be too large, and hopefully they'll be able to hold onto No.1 :D

WHYWHY.

Technically, Eminem sold 871,000 inits second week, so U2 has the 4th highest week of the year.

BOMB’S AWAY FOR U2!!

U2 Album Tops 838k, Eminem #2, While Gwen Stefani and Fantasia Bow Top 10

November 30, 2004

Retailers are now dreaming of a Green Christmas.

Irish rockers U2’s How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb hit stores with nuclear force this week, scoring the largest first-week numbers of the year for a rock band. The total of 838k is the third highest of 2004 behind Usher’s Confessions (1.09 million) and Norah Jones’ Feels Like Home (1.03 million), both of which came out in the first quarter.

See what a multi-million-dollar Apple iPod campaign can do?

Trans World’s Jerry Kamiler is ready to believe in leprechauns, pots of gold and Ron Artest insisting he’s a changed man: "The thing about U2 is how wonderful it is to rely on a great band that comes with great music which guarantees you great sales. And there aren’t too many musical acts out there right now that have that kind of continuity. People buy songs instead of artists, but U2 is really a band in the true sense of what a band is all about. I love the group so much because you can rely upon their album being wonderful, quality product that will sell great."

Looking at the releases that came out today......I think the album will top the charts next week as well. What do you all make of this? :eyebrow:

Even if the "HITS" total is 100,000 copies higher than the Soundscan total, this is U2's biggest opening week ever in the USA with only the possible exception of Rattle and Hum. Amazing for a band thats in its 40s and who's fan base in the USA is mostly in its 30s!:applaud:

With sales this big, I'm *hoping* there's no more than a 50% drop. That should be enough for U2 to remain #1 next week.

Of course, if U2 drop, most likely so will everyone else as it'll be a slower week (before the holidays really start kicking in). So this may also help U2 stay on top.

If all goes well next week, we might see U2 at #1 for 3 weeks even!! :ohmy: Now that would be exciting!

For now, I guess it's enough to enjoy seeing U2 with another #1 album in the U.S. - and with these HUGE sales (and I thought ATYCLB's debut was impressive!).

So, given these huge numbers, any of our experts here care to use them to creat a total sales prediction for the USA? ;)

U2 pretty much has no competition next week, unless they drop a lot and Eminem stays strong. These sales figures are great. It'll be platinum in it's second week in the US! Awesome.

If you all are planning on getting this album for a Christmas gift for somebody, buy it this week, wrap it up and put it in your closet until Christmas. 2 weeks at #1 would really do great for them. Why are we all such loyal fans???

I have a question:

Does buying an album through a venue like iTunes count towards album sales. I would think not, but I'm not sure. If not, think of how many more albums would have sold.:ohmy:

I am fairly certain at this stage - I tunes sales are not included. Only hard copy album sales are included.

The second week is a big week for U2 and I cautious as to how they will sell as I think demand may slipped back over the week-end once the initial fanatics & Thanks Giving craziness was done. 400K would be a great result, but I am predicting closer to 300k with no new TV appearances etc.. in the wind. Maybe the OC on December 2 (if my memory serves) will help as I think they are playing Somtimes on the show

U2 very much deserve to be back at the top of the US charts and I hope they remain in the top 5 throughout the xmas season that would be nice.

zoo tv mcg said:
I am fairly certain at this stage - I tunes sales are not included. Only hard copy album sales are included.

AFAIK, album sales from iTunes are included. However, they'll have to be full album downloads from the site (so not individual songs, even if one downloads all the songs individually).

C ya!

Marty

this time U2' marketing staff made the right decision at least: if they had released the album the previuos week they wouldn't have reached #1...and now there's even a chance to mantain #1 in the current week :) (actually more the a chance on the spin of a strong #1: i think 800k+ is very likely to make the news...more visibility on TV/press for free)

Last edited:
Bump...

Just wanted to bump this up for those who might want to follow along with the week 2 thread and may not understand what Hits Daily Double is and how it works.

There was a lot of good discussion in this thread on what Hits is and the difference between it and Soundscan and so forth.

There is good hope to stay at #1:

CHART PREVIEW: JAY-Z/LINKIN PARK MASH THE COMPETITION

Metal-Hop Mash-Up to Be Top Debut; Nas, T.I. and Kelly Clarkson Also Come on Strong

December 6, 2004

As the tallying of retail reports continues this morning, Jay-Z and Linkin Park’s mash-up album, Collision Course (Warner Bros.), remains on track to be this week’s top chart debut, with all signs pointing to sales of 350k through Sunday.
That’ll be good for a solid #2 on the chart, given that U2’s momentum following their 839k first week for How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb (Interscope) will likely keep the top slot out of reach for all comers.

Also making their chart debuts with some strong numbers are Nas, whose Street Disciple (Columbia) appears to have moved upwards of 250k in its first week; T.I., whose Urban Legend (Atlantic) looks like it will debut with a first-week total of around 200k; and Kelly Clarkson, whose Breakaway (RCA) should also come on the chart with a first week of about 200k.

Meanwhile, Josh Groban’s Live at the Greek (Warner Bros.) and Gerald Levert’s Do I Speak for the World (Atlantic) are also due to chart, with first-week totals looking like 90k-95k.

Major albums hitting the street tomorrow include Ludacris’ Red Light District (Def Jam South/IDJ), which initial retail guestimates give a shot at 400k, and Lindsay Lohan’s Speak (Casablanca/Universal), which pundits say could do 200k, plus new albums from Cam’ron (Roc-A-Fella/Def Jam), Mario (J/RMG) and American Idol finalist Diana DeGarmo (RCA).

With 11.5% of the results in, U2's HTDAAB has fallen to #3 with 25,310 copies sold. #2 is Eminem with 32,118 copies and #1 is the Jay-Z/Linkin Park collaboration with 33,336 copies sold.

If I'm FOX news, I can project this to mean that U2 will only sell about 250,000 copies this week, a huge fall from last week.

However, more realistically, these results suggests that the early numbers have come from stores that sell more R&B or rap.

Still, it could be a close race to see if U2 holds onto #1.

Just as I finished sending the above message, the chart was updated to 14% of the data in. U2 has now risen to #2 34,293 copies sold, with Jay-Z still at #1 with 34,575 copies. With just a 2.5% difference in results reported, U2 cut the 8,000 copy lead Jay-Z had to a few hundred.

Once again, this proves that extrapolation of Hits data is not possible. :no: Hopefully people who watch Hits in the future learn this. :yes:

1 1 U2 INTERSCOPE 62,286
HOW TO DISMANTLE AN ATOMIC BOMB
-- 2 JAY-Z/LINKIN PARK WARNER BROS. 46,813
COLLISION COURSE
2 3 EMINEM SHADY/INTERSCOPE 41,732
ENCORE

20.70%

Back
Top Bottom