Hits, 3rd Week

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Christmas is the main reason the album didn't drop. If you look at the other albums on the chart, many of them have sales increases of 20, 30 or 40%.

phommel said:
840,000+288,000+275,000 = 1,403,000

Almost the total POP sales!!!

Keep in mind:
  1. The 288,000 copies sold is a SoundScan number, Hits reported about 274K.
  2. Hits reported an increase in sales this week compared to the week prior. If SoundScan also reports an increase, we could see sales close to 300K.
  3. U2 and Eminem are VERY close. SoundScan numbers might be different enough from the Hits numbers such that U2 are bumped up to #2 (or, correspondingly, drop to #4).

All in all, another strong week. With this strong week in sales, perhaps Sting2's prediction of 400,000 copies for Christmas week isn't too far off! Even better, we still have this week's worth of sales before we get to Christmas week. By this time next Tuesday, HTDAAB will have surpassed "Pop" in total U.S. sales - in just one month!

dopper said:
Christmas is the main reason the album didn't drop. If you look at the other albums on the chart, many of them have sales increases of 20, 30 or 40%.

True, but most of those albums that rose 20% or more are far newer than U2's album. Most of the new albums did drop (see Jay-Z, Kelly Clarkson, Lil' Jon, Jessica Simpson (and that's a Xmas ablum!), T.I., NAS, Fantasia, etc. The fact that U2 rose - albeit a small amount - bodes well for the next two weeks when holiday sales will really kick in!

mkrieg said:
In my opinion, next week could be really big as people do last minute holiday shopping and when they can't figue out what to get, they buy music.

It's not your opinion, it's a fact. This time next week, we should see sales at least this strong, if not significantly stronger, due to holiday sales. I was actually anticipating a drop this week. Hits reports a slight rise. If SoundScan confirms this rise, then this means we could see sales of 300K next week and even close to 400K for Christmas week!

ATYCLB first 9 weeks:

428,000 + 176,000 + 119,000 + 125,000 + 100,000 + 113,000
+ 154,000 + 259,000 + 108,000

My prediction for "BOMB"s first 6 weeks after the seeing figures for the first two weeks.

840,000 + 288,000 + 190,000 + 250,000 + 410,000 + 165,000

Actual results for "Bomb" so far:

840,000 + 288,000 + 275,000(H)

Right now, "BOMB" is selling 45% more copies than I predicted based on the 3rd week results. If that keeps up, one could see "BOMB" with a massive total at the end of only 6 weeks, potentially 2.6 million copies sold by January 4 in the USA to consumers! But, if the original prediction proves correct from the last 3 weeks, then the total would be 2.23 million copies sold in the USA by January 4.

Without a doubt, this is U2's fastest selling album EVER! If this keeps up, getting tickets for Arena shows in the spring will be very difficult in the big cities, unless you have a membership that promises you a pair of tickets.

Another interesting thing to consider. Back in 1987 and 1992, CD burning of any type as well as downloading songs from the internet did not exist! Today, these ways of getting the CD without paying for it are widespread.

Out of 10 big U2 fans that are friends, only 4 have actually purchased the album. The rest have downloaded it from the internet and burned it to CD at no cost.

What would "Bomb's" sales be like if technology that allows one to get the full CD for free was not available?

This also means actual album sales may understate the demand to see U2 live in 2005, as there will be many fans going to see the band who simply burned the CD for free from the internet.

Some more numbers & thoughts

1.4m after only 3 weeks - wow

It has already achieved 1/3 of total ATYCLB sales in the US.

It has sold over 60% of the original shipment figure of 2.3m albums to the USA. They better have more stock on the way in a couple of weeks or this could lead to major supply issues

I hope that this week the Soundscreen numbers will be as generous to U2 as per last week so we can stay at number 2 - it is so close to Eminem with a 3k difference. Soundscreen gave U2 sales a 16k upside last week

It has now more than matched ATYCLB time in the top 10 in the US album charts (1, 2, 2-4 tbc) versus (3, 5 and re-entry after the Grammys)

It is now perfectly positioned in the top 5 to earn huge sales next week. Sting2 - you are genius. 400k is definitely possible now as I was thinking 200k this week, but it has held its ground.

Let's not forget the positive press reviews and word of mouth as I just think this is an excellent album that appeals to alot of people. This free publicity and good vibe is helping no doubt

I don't think many of us would have imagined 1.4m after only 3 weeks given the recent chart performance history of U2 albums. As McGuiness says, every new album he needs to break the band (and the promo campaign has worked - the sales back this up) but this album also owes alot of its success to ATYCLB and the 2001 tour that really re-built U2's fan base back in the US. I alway harp on this, but POP was coming off Zooropa (2.3m sales only) and POP was 5 years after the release of AB and the 92 tour in ther US so interest in U2 seemed to had wane. This is no reflection on the quality of the albums, just stating facts. Because ATYCLB is still in many people's memory (just), 4 years later is about the maximum time they could have allowed to release HTDAAB and still capture that audience (let alone finding new fans).

I pity you guys in the US and Europe as tickets are gonna be horrendous to get. It will be difficult in OZ too, but I think they will perform 2 stadium nights in Melbourne so I should be able to get a ticket. If you check in at U2 Tour Central - the stage is going to be pretty impressive as well. That big target on the Vertigo video - expect in your local arena or stadium soon.

I also think given these impressive numbers, that stadium concerts will be required for the FALL tour for the big cities in the US

doctorwho said:

True, but most of those albums that rose 20% or more are far newer than U2's album. Most of the new albums did drop (see Jay-Z, Kelly Clarkson, Lil' Jon, Jessica Simpson (and that's a Xmas ablum!), T.I., NAS, Fantasia, etc. The fact that U2 rose - albeit a small amount - bodes well for the next two weeks when holiday sales will really kick in!

I made no sense here - sorry. :reject:

I meant to say that the albums that saw huge rises this past week are far OLDER than U2's album. Most of the newer albums saw drops (like Jay-Z, Clarkson, etc.). The fact that U2's album is newer and still rose - albeit a scant 1% - still is promising.

Sorry for the confusion.

I would be very happy as long as U2 ends up beating the last albums sales output id consider it a success.

ATYCLB first 9 weeks:

My prediction for "BOMB"s first 6 weeks after seeing figures for the first two weeks.

840,000 + 288,000 + 280,000

TOTAL after 3 weeks in the USA: 1,408,000

sting, seriously, how come you are such a guru about this stuff? :wink: I want to be one too, do i have to work in the entertainment industry or.. what do i do?

STING2 said:
ATYCLB first 9 weeks:

My prediction for "BOMB"s first 6 weeks after seeing figures for the first two weeks.

840,000 + 288,000 + 280,000

TOTAL after 3 weeks in the USA: 1,408,000

i like the game...hmm i predict 320-350k this week, 450k+ Christmas week and 200k+ the week after :)

but as a side not Hits will be closed till the new year :(...so we'll have to wait a little more to know the results

all_i_want said:
sting, seriously, how come you are such a guru about this stuff? :wink: I want to be one too, do i have to work in the entertainment industry or.. what do i do?

I'm just a fan with a little obsession. I've collected a lot of information over the years and have posted a lot of it here. The best sources of information are Billboard Magazine with its charts and Boxscore concert information, in depth articles and stories on various aspects of the business, as well as its website plus other websites like www.riaa.com , www.ifpi.org , www.bpi.co.uk/ , and www.cria.ca ,

These are the websites where one can find album sales information for the United States, Europe, United Kingdom specifically, and Canada. 70% of all albums are sold in the world are sold in North America and Europe.

In addition, "U2 : A Concert Documentary" book by (Pimm Jal de la Parra with updates by Caroline van Oosten de Boer) is the best source on U2's live experience as well as having every show and statistics for those shows either exact or estimated.

As far as predicting album sales of the past few weeks, I simply looked at how ATYCLB sold in similar weeks 4 years ago and applied the percentage increase or decreases from those weeks to predict how "Bomb" would do after its second week. So far, the "Bomb" is doing better than those predictions.

Dima said:

i like the game...hmm i predict 320-350k this week, 450k+ Christmas week and 200k+ the week after :)

but as a side not Hits will be closed till the new year :(...so we'll have to wait a little more to know the results

Also remember that Billboard charts will be frozen the week after Christmas. So if your #1 in the Christmas week, you'll be #1 the next week as well. Soundscan continues to report all data and Billboard may report how the top 10 really did during the "frozen week" during the first full week in January.

STING2 said:

Also remember that Billboard charts will be frozen the week after Christmas. So if your #1 in the Christmas week, you'll be #1 the next week as well. Soundscan continues to report all data and Billboard may report how the top 10 really did during the "frozen week" during the first full week in January.

ok but we'll have figures for current week and for next week almost on time, won't we?

STING2 said:

I don't recall this.

In 2000, when I was getting SoundScan data, I recall us getting sales for the week before Christmas and then the week after. And Billboard, I thought, ranked songs based on that.

Of course, it's possible that the ranking I gave was from the SoundScan charts and not Billboard.

doctorwho said:

I don't recall this.

In 2000, when I was getting SoundScan data, I recall us getting sales for the week before Christmas and then the week after. And Billboard, I thought, ranked songs based on that.

Of course, it's possible that the ranking I gave was from the SoundScan charts and not Billboard.

Unless things have changed the last week of the year is a "Frozen Week" for Billboard. Soundscan continues to report data non stop, but Billboard magazine has a week off. Every year Billboard magazine has a special double year end issue that is on sale for Two weeks instead of just one.

Back
Top Bottom