Grammy Predictions!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

STING2

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Well, the Grammy nominations are not to far off and several weeks after that will have the awards ceremony.

Here are the likely catagories that U2 could be nominated in and win as well as what I think could get nominated.

Album of the Year: HTDAAB

Record Of The Year: Sometimes You Can't Make It on Your Own

Song Of The Year: Sometimes.......

Best Pop Vocal Performance By a Duo Or Group: Sometimes.....

Best Rock Album: HTDAAB

Best Rock Performance By a Duo Or Group: ABOY

Best Rock Song: ABOY

As far as predictions, I'm the most confident that HTDAAB will be nominated for album of year and rock album of year. I'm also confident that "Sometimes" will be nominated in the main catagories plus the POP award, much like "Stuck" was four years ago. With the Rock songs though, I think U2 might not make get nominated in these catagories. COBL and ABOY could split the voting preventing a nod, plus ABOY is not as strong as VERTIGO and COBL is not well known even though that should not usually be a factor.

I predict U2 will be nominated and will win all the above catagories with the exception of the two rock song awards. But I'm less confident about that many victories than I was four years ago for ATYCLB. Remember that VERTIGO did not get nominated in the Record Of The Year, and Song of the Year catagories last year, so there is no guarantee.

I think they have a better chance in the rock categories than the major ones, although Green Day and Coldplay with give them a run whenever they are nominated together. However, if they get nominated for the major ones, my predics are for two:

- Song of the Year: Sometimes You Can't Make it on Your Own (for the very intimate lyrics)
- Record of the Year: City of Blinding Lights - some may disagree but this is, IMO, an excellently produced song that deserves a nomination (although I have a feeling Mariah Carey's We Belong Together will be nominated here and win)

claytons edge said:
It wouldn't be a shock to me if U2 win nothing and coldplay or greenday sweep the board

Remember, Green Day's latest album and first single from it are not eligible for this years awards and were nominated in last years awards ceremony.

STING2 said:

Best Rock Album: HTDAAB

Best Rock Performance By a Duo Or Group: ABOY

Best Rock Song: ABOY

I agree with those and believe those will be the only three they're nominated for.

Either way, the Grammys suck. Just a bunch of mainstream crap, failing to recognize that 98% of the good stuff out there comes from the indie labels.

Re: Re: Grammy Predictions!

BigMacPhisto said:

I agree with those and believe those will be the only three they're nominated for.

Either way, the Grammys suck. Just a bunch of mainstream crap, failing to recognize that 98% of the good stuff out there comes from the indie labels.

Actually the Grammy Acadamy is made up of musicians, producers, artist and others involved with the production of music. There are about 20,000 members, and the boys are members as well. All though "mainstream music" is nominated and wins, it does not always dominate. Mainstream does not always equal crap, and Indie does not always equal quality.

U2 has won a lot of the grammies in the past and the people who vote for the winners seem to like our band. Everything is possible, even Album Of The Year. I hope that they win at least 2 or 3 Grammies because it would help sales a lot.

Rock album and album of the year for Bomb, and I think Sometimes for song/band and vocal performance.

I'm not sure if they will win anything; they've got so many for ATYCLB songs already and Vertigo won a Grammy too last year.

An album of the year nod should be a foregone conclusion, although I don't think they'll win. It seems that lately the Grammys have been going for either newer artists or veterans who haven't won that much.

ATYCLB was robbed when it was up for it, and Bruce Springsteen's The Rising was most definitely screwed. I think the same thing will happen this year, although it would be nice to be wrong.

How come U2 have become so successful in recent years at the Grammy's? They have won 10 (so far) from the last 2 albums. However during the rest of their careet only won 7.

Call it the Grammys making up for screwing them in years past.

Although The Joshua Tree did win Album Of The Year, for the most part U2 got screwed early in their career, like many others. It seems that once an artist becomes as big as U2, the Grammys realize their previous errors and lavish them with awards late in their career.

Look at Eric Clapton. A dazzling career, but what album racks up all the Grammy Awards for him? His Unplugged album from the early 90s.

Doesn't quite make sense, does it?

04072511 said:
How come U2 have become so successful in recent years at the Grammy's? They have won 10 (so far) from the last 2 albums. However during the rest of their careet only won 7.

The acadamy tends to be older and more conservative in many of their choices. Membership is always changing. Prior to 1987, people who knew about U2 in the USA were mostly under the age of 25 and probably not members of the acadamy. I don't know precisely how one becomes a member, but I'm sure some level of time and experience in the music industry is required. Their probably not going to allow 17 year old Joe Smith and his new punk band Frog Teasers to be in the acadamy. Then again, I think Britney Spears is actually a member of the acadamy. On the bright side I guess it makes for some interesting results when Britney Spears and Brian Eno are voting on the same things. I think the majority of the acadamy though is not famous artist, but those involved with the production of music on nearly every level from writers, session musicians to Producers and engineers.

A few grammy's will be won. They won't sweep it I don't think.

The fact that "American Idiot" is not elligible really helps U2 in the Best Rock album category. Coldplay had better not win, because their new album kind of blows in my opinion. I could see U2 winning big with "Sometimes you can't make it". ABOY might win best rock song. COBL I don't think will be nominated for anything.

However, a new question comes to mind: what are U2 going to play at the Grammy's? No doubt "Sometimes" will be their big single at this year's grammys. However, it was played last year at the grammy's. I predict they will play OOTS at the grammy's, making a big show out of the fact that there is an orchestra playing with them.

i have a question: OOTS can be nominated for Grammies 2006?
Where i can find informations about this?Thanx!!!

My idea:

u2 will have 5 nominations:

best album
best rock album
best rock - aboy
best pop - sycmoyo
best video - aboy

u2 will win 2 grammies:

best rock
best pop - sycmoyo

They will play OOTS with orchestra!i Hope they will have a lot of nominations and will win a lot of grammies for improve the sells situation...

Tallarico said:
i have a question: OOTS can be nominated for Grammies 2006?
Where i can find informations about this?Thanx!!!

My idea:

u2 will have 5 nominations:

best album
best rock album
best rock - aboy
best pop - sycmoyo
best video - aboy

u2 will win 2 grammies:

best rock
best pop - sycmoyo

They will play OOTS with orchestra!i Hope they will have a lot of nominations and will win a lot of grammies for improve the sells situation...

OOTS is not eligible for this year's Grammy's which will take place in February 2006. The song will be eligible for the following year though.

STING2 said:

OOTS is not eligible for this year's Grammy's which will take place in February 2006. The song will be eligible for the following year though.

It didn't stop them from playing SYCMIOYO last year :wink:

Honestly, for some reason I think that COBL will be nominated for Song/ Record of the year, and U2 will open the show with that song.

"OOTS" is totally eligible this year. Album tracks that were never released have singles have won "Best Rock Instrumental Performance" and whatnot. Being a single has nothing to do with it. The only exception is if a single is released before an album and then the album doesn't make the cutoff for that year (which has happened to U2 the last two times). At least, that's how it SHOULD be, or else a band could just keep throwing in new songs for the nomination pool from the same album for years.

BigMacPhisto said:
"OOTS" is totally eligible this year. Album tracks that were never released have singles have won "Best Rock Instrumental Performance" and whatnot. Being a single has nothing to do with it. The only exception is if a single is released before an album and then the album doesn't make the cutoff for that year (which has happened to U2 the last two times). At least, that's how it SHOULD be, or else a band could just keep throwing in new songs for the nomination pool from the same album for years.

Then I guess that means Green Day does not have any songs that are eligible for this year since the the album was nominated last year.

^ That's how it should be. But then again, I could see the Grammys hungering to get a song like "Boulevard" nominated for major awards since it came out as a single after........it's all about politics/ratings for them......in theory, there shouldn't be any nominations for Green Day next year because the album as a whole already had its run, but the rules really aren't clear on singles coming out after the album and how that all works.

And then there was the strangeness of a live version of "Walk On" being nominated from a 9/11 album the year AFTER it had won Record Of The Year. So yeah, crazy system.

BigMacPhisto said:
^ That's how it should be. But then again, I could see the Grammys hungering to get a song like "Boulevard" nominated for major awards since it came out as a single after........it's all about politics/ratings for them......in theory, there shouldn't be any nominations for Green Day next year because the album as a whole already had its run, but the rules really aren't clear on singles coming out after the album and how that all works.

And then there was the strangeness of a live version of "Walk On" being nominated from a 9/11 album the year AFTER it had won Record Of The Year. So yeah, crazy system.

I think as long as the album or single was released between October 1 2004, and September 30, 2005, then it is eligible for nominations and awards for the February 2006 awards. While as an album, Green Day's American idiot is not eligible, several songs that were released after eligibility ended last year probably are. Otherwise, only one song by Green Day would have been eligible for any of the song awards. In general, for a song on an album to be eligible for a song award, it has to be released to the radio or released a single. The simple fact that it is on the album is not enough.

STING2 said:

I think as long as the album or single was released between October 1 2004, and September 30, 2005, then it is eligible for nominations and awards for the February 2006 awards. While as an album, Green Day's American idiot is not eligible, several songs that were released after eligibility ended last year probably are. Otherwise, only one song by Green Day would have been eligible for any of the song awards. In general, for a song on an album to be eligible for a song award, it has to be released to the radio or released a single. The simple fact that it is on the album is not enough.

Yes, it needs to be released either commercially (in shops) or furnished to radio as a single (i.e., album tracks). Therefore, Green Day is eligible for Boulevard and any other single released to shops/radio from American Idiot after Sept 30, 2004 even if the album has come and gone Grammy-wise.

But if U2 is nominated in the album category (which I am 50-50 about since it hasn't had the public impact ATYCLB did at this point in its tenure), then they can score multiple wins since I see the singles as likely nominations (Sometimes, COBL esp.). Either way, the EXPOSURE of nomination should help sales of HTDAAB so I think 3 million soundscan is a guarantee...

sorry, but i don't understand: oots is or not eligible for 48 edition of grammy awards in february 2006?And When walk on was released for Us market?

It is not "in thread" but someone can tell me what songs u2 played in the grammy history?last year sycmoyo...i think Beautiful day in 2000 and walk on in 2001 but i'm not sure....someone can help me?thanx!GRAZIE!

Tallarico said:
sorry, but i don't understand: oots is or not eligible for 48 edition of grammy awards in february 2006?And When walk on was released for Us market?

It is not "in thread" but someone can tell me what songs u2 played in the grammy history?last year sycmoyo...i think Beautiful day in 2000 and walk on in 2001 but i'm not sure....someone can help me?thanx!GRAZIE!

OOTS is NOT eligible for the 48 edition of the grammy awards in february 2006. Walk On was released to the radio in the US market.

I think the songs you listed, SYCMIOYO, Walk On, and Beautiful Day are the only songs U2 have performed at the Grammy awards.

u2mad25 said:

Yes, it needs to be released either commercially (in shops) or furnished to radio as a single (i.e., album tracks). Therefore, Green Day is eligible for Boulevard and any other single released to shops/radio from American Idiot after Sept 30, 2004 even if the album has come and gone Grammy-wise.

But if U2 is nominated in the album category (which I am 50-50 about since it hasn't had the public impact ATYCLB did at this point in its tenure), then they can score multiple wins since I see the singles as likely nominations (Sometimes, COBL esp.). Either way, the EXPOSURE of nomination should help sales of HTDAAB so I think 3 million soundscan is a guarantee...

Remember in the United States at this point, ATYCLB had only sold 3.1 million copies compared to the 2.9 million copies that HTDAAB has. Recall that four years ago, the impact of file sharing, illegal downloading, and CD burning, on sales of the album was much less. I would consider sales of 2.9 million in 2005, to be more impressive and a greater impact than selling 3.1 million copies back in 2001.

Of course, the Grammy's are not supposed to be based on sales at all, so will all just have to wait to see what happens. In my view, the acadamy is made up of the same people who have given U2 10 Grammy's in just the past 5 years. Based on that, I think U2 are in a very good position.

The Grammy acadamy has three levels of membership and only one has the right to vote for nominations and award winners.

VOTING: professionals with creative or technical credits on six commercially released tracks (or their equivalent). These may include vocalists, conductors, arrangers, and other fields directly related to the creative or technical process of producing recordings.

ASSOCIATE: creative or technical professionals who do not have enough credits to qualify as voting members. This category also includes persons who work in fields directly related to the recording industry such as executive producers, publishers, attorneys, record label staff and artist management.

AFFILIATE: educators, students, record merchants and anyone who wishes to support the Academy and its initiatives.

STING2 said:

Remember in the United States at this point, ATYCLB had only sold 3.1 million copies compared to the 2.9 million copies that HTDAAB has. Recall that four years ago, the impact of file sharing, illegal downloading, and CD burning, on sales of the album was much less. I would consider sales of 2.9 million in 2005, to be more impressive and a greater impact than selling 3.1 million copies back in 2001.

Of course, the Grammy's are not supposed to be based on sales at all, so will all just have to wait to see what happens. In my view, the acadamy is made up of the same people who have given U2 10 Grammy's in just the past 5 years. Based on that, I think U2 are in a very good position.

Sales is one thing - I was refering to the cultural impact that ATYCLB had in the wake of 9/11. I think we can all say that had a huge effect on the nomination for album of the year.

04072511 said:

This is just a theory, but I feel that some of these recent Grammy awards are recognition for past U2 work that was overlooked.

For example, I strongly feel that ATYCLB deserved "Album of the Year" and will never forget how that absolutly horrid blue grass album beat it out. That was the worst pile of crap I've ever heard! It was horrible. I've heard some blue grass before, but this stuff was nothing more than a bunch of remakes by people who really can't do blue grass country music.

I also was stunned at the lack of awards generated from AB. Yes, AB won Rock Album of the Year. But why not Album of the Year? And how on earth did the song "One" not win anything? That song should have easily won "Song of the Year" if not a lot more. It's arguably one of U2's best songs ever, yet was overlooked at the Grammy's.

Past U2 albums that contained great stuff, like "War", UF and even "Pop", were also overlooked. Some albums received some minor consideration, but didn't win anything.

As such, I feel the voters are now giving U2 their due.

I personally feel that "Bomb" is a better album than ATYCLB, but I'd be surprised if it won Album of the Year - or if it was even nominated in that category. It seems the hype for this album has subsided, which is a shame. If only "Bomb" had produced a second huge hit (or at least a Top 60 hit), I think it would stand a better chance. But one never knows... "Walk On" won Record of the Year yet it was never a Top 100 hit (sadly...).

Did U2 win any Grammys before JT?

Had ATYCLB been eligible at the first post 9/11 Grammys, do you think it would had a better chance for Album of the year?

U2girl said:
Did U2 win any Grammys before JT?

Had ATYCLB been eligible at the first post 9/11 Grammys, do you think it would had a better chance for Album of the year?

U2 did NOT get nominated or win any Grammy's prior to the Joshua Tree.

ATYCLB was eligible at the first post 9/11 Grammy's. It was nominated for album of the year but lost out to that soundtrack album for a movie.

Back
Top Bottom