Grammy Predictions!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
phanan said:

Recent history has shown that the Academy has given the Song Of The Year award to a song that wasn't a major Top 40 hit, and I think this trend will continue. I see Springsteen and U2 as the favorites, and it's really a toss-up as to which one will win it. I'll go with Bruce since he was snubbed a few years back for the major awards.

As for Record Of The Year, generally it has been a song that was also a commercial success. Mariah Carey's "We Belong Together" was the biggest song of the year, and I predict she'll take this, although Kayne West could possibly as well.

I like U2 for the Rock categories although, as I stated before, I wouldn't be surprised if Coldplay snuck away with Best Rock Album.

I wish that would have been the case in 2002, because "Stuck in A Moment" would have won song of the year. Instead Alicia Keys walked away with the award.

STING2 said:

I wish that would have been the case in 2002, because "Stuck in A Moment" would have won song of the year. Instead Alicia Keys walked away with the award.

Perhaps the voters decided to go in a different direction that year since they voted for "Walk On" as Record Of The Year.

last year usher with multi platinum confessions had 8 nominations and won 3 grammies...i saw a similar situation this year...there are 2 artists (carey/west) with 8 nominations...i think they will win in the specific categories 2 or 3 grammies (in r&b and rap/hipo hop) but i don't think they can win the most important grammy for album of the year...u2 and bruce springsteen are very important for Academy and i'm sure they will win something....

STING2, Have you got an entire OFFICIAL list of all of U2's Grammy NOMINATIONS down the years? I know all of the 17 Grammy's that U2 have won, but I can't find any info on their complete list of Nominations. Thanks

04072511 said:
STING2, Have you got an entire OFFICIAL list of all of U2's Grammy NOMINATIONS down the years? I know all of the 17 Grammy's that U2 have won, but I can't find any info on their complete list of Nominations. Thanks

I don't have a list. I know their first nominations though were in 1987 for the Joshua Tree. Its amazing that there were people at radio and in the industry who did not know about U2 until the spring of 1985. I think they have won everything they have been nominated for except for maybe three or four awards, but I'm not sure.

phanan said:

What you say makes sense, but most times it doesn't go that way. Back in 2003, Outkast won Album Of The Year despite being up against Justin Timberlake and Missy Elliott, who would be grouped in the same Pop/Rap/R&B Top 40 field. The White Stripes and Evanescence were the two rock acts up for it that year. Using your theory of similar artists splitting votes, Evanescence or The White Stripes would have won that year instead.

It's the same situation this year - three Top 40 acts against two rock acts. I don't think the splitting of votes will be a factor. Expect Kayne West or U2 to win this award.

Knowing the past history of the Grammy Awards, they tend to be very unpredictable in how they come up with the winners. It's never black and white, and I anticipate similar scenarios happening this time around as well.

well yeah but then again look...

Evanescene and White Stripes...vs....U2 and Paul McCartney
2 relatively new bands versus one of the greatest bands of all times, and one-half of the greatest songwriting duo in history

it's all about reputation...that's how Usher and the other Top 40s got screwed in the Album of the Year last year...and Ray Charles won the sympathy vote as well

Well, last year was definitely a sympathy vote, otherwise Usher or Green Day would have won.

I used 2003 as just an example of the proposed split-vote formula not working, even though Evanescence and White Stripes are certainly not the same as U2 and Paul McCartney.

Go back a couple more years to 2001. There were two relatively newer rock artists (Beck and Radiohead), two veteran rock acts (Paul Simon and Steely Dan) and Eminem, who definitely had the biggest album from that year and was the only Top 40 type act up for the award. Seems like he should have won hands down if there was to be any split in votes amongst the others, but as you stated, reputation can play a part in these things. So can being screwed out of awards previously and being rewarded later on in your career for those missteps, which is most likely why Steely Dan won that year.

Well, after looking more closely at the grammy nominees and award winners of the past 10 years for the major catagories, I think I'd probably have to throw out most of my theories about the split votes. The only thing that seems certain is how unpredictable the process is.

It still seems that veteran artist tend to have a "slight" and I underline "slight", edge, but artist like Lauran Hill and Norah Jones have won album of the year with their debut albums.

If Kanye West was indeed set to win the Grammy award for album of the year last, but was only blocked by the Ray Charles album as several music critics claim, then perhaps the nominee set up for album of the year will benefit Kanye West this year. Looking at the list again, the split vote might actually work to help Kenye win this year.

Notice that three of the album of the year nominees are big veteran artist, Mariah Carey(yep, she has been a contender for Grammy awards since 1990, almost as long as U2 who became a contender in 1987), Paul McCartney and U2. Perhaps the acadamy will be evenly split among these three artist to a degree that will allow Kanye West to climb to the top. I don't think Kanye West has the pull that Lauryn Hill and Norah Jones had during their years that they won. Being loved and worshiped by music critics who write for papers and magazines is not enough. Rap is still not accepted as being music by certain portions of the academy and Kanye West album's have not sold in the large numbers that Norah Jones or Lauren Hill's album did for those basing votes on sales. In fact, most of Kanye West album sales come from the USA.

Another little interesting fact that I had forgotten is the presence for the past ten years of the BLUE RIBBON COMMITTEE. This Committee takes a look at only the three big catagories, Album of the Year, Song of the Year, and Record of the Year. After the nominee votes are counted, they look at the top 20 voted songs and albums in each of the big three catagories. They take into consideration how the votes came out, but then make "adjustments" to better reflect the best quality music. So after the 12,000 member academy votes, a committee of two dozen people looks at the big three catagory and the top 20 finishers in each, and makes adjustments for the final 5 nominees in each catagory.

So, U2's, Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own, may have been nominated for Record Of The Year based on the votes of the 12,000 member academy, but then taken out of the top 5 by the BLUE RIBBON COMMITTEE, or alternatively, it may have missed making it into the top 5 for song of the year, then was put into the top 5 by the committee. Same could have happened for BOMB. The only thing we do know is that any song that made it into the final nominations, was definitely in the top 20 when the initial votes of the 12,000 member academy were counted.

NOTE: The Blue Ribbon Academy only makes adjustments for the "BIG THREE" awards, not any others.

In any event, I think Kanye West has much better shot than I thought he did before, but I'd still say from looking at the past 10 years, that its almost impossible to predict who will win.

The one thing that U2 have going for them is that they have won nearly every award that they have been nominated for in their career. They have won 17 Grammy awards and have only lost at most 6 times. I doubt there will be anyone at the awards ceremony, nominated or not, who has won as many Grammy awards as U2.

Does anyone know how betting is going in Vegas on this or anywhere else where such things take place?

Ive been looking at U2.com (if that is in any way reliable) and I 've compliled a list of nominationsw that U2 didnt win. I don't know if this is complete.

1)I Still haven't......... Record of the year
2)I Still Haven't............Song Of the year
3)Rattle and Hum..........Best Rock group performance
4)When love comes to town...........Best Rock group performance
5)Angel of Harlem............Best song written for TV or Motion Picture
6)Achtung Baby..........Album Of The Year
7)HMTMKMKM...........Best Rock Group Performance
8)HMTMKMKM............Best Rock Song
9)Pop.................Best Rock Album
10)Popmart live from Mexico.........Best Video-Long Form
11)ATYCLB.........Album Of The Year
12)Elevation.........Best Rock Song
13)Walk On...........Best Rock Song
14)SIAMYCGOO..........Song Of The Year
15)Walk On (9/11 Version)............Best Rock Group Performance
16)Hands That Built America........Best Song Written for TV or Motion Picture

04072511 said:
Ive been looking at U2.com (if that is in any way reliable) and I 've compliled a list of nominationsw that U2 didnt win. I don't know if this is complete.

1)I Still haven't......... Record of the year
2)I Still Haven't............Song Of the year
3)Rattle and Hum..........Best Rock group performance
4)When love comes to town...........Best Rock group performance
5)Angel of Harlem............Best song written for TV or Motion Picture
6)Achtung Baby..........Album Of The Year
7)HMTMKMKM...........Best Rock Group Performance
8)HMTMKMKM............Best Rock Song
9)Pop.................Best Rock Album
10)Popmart live from Mexico.........Best Video-Long Form
11)ATYCLB.........Album Of The Year
12)Elevation.........Best Rock Song
13)Walk On...........Best Rock Song
14)SIAMYCGOO..........Song Of The Year
15)Walk On (9/11 Version)............Best Rock Group Performance
16)Hands That Built America........Best Song Written for TV or Motion Picture

Yep, its true, thats a hell of a lot more than I thought.

One thing, in 1990 Grammy awards, the album Rattle And Hum, when up against the song "When Love Comes To Town" for best "rock performance by a Duo Or Group". Obviously this split the U2 vote in the academy preventing a U2 win. It just seems crazy that you could have the song competing against the album it came from for the award, but thats the way it was back then.

Also, in 2002, Elevation and Walk On were both nominated in the same catagory obviously preventing a U2 win.

Still, U2 wins more than 50% of the awards they are nominated for.

what do u think about the rumours u2-mary j blige like performer at grammy? i dont want it....because i think that an excellent exibition at grammy awards with a bomb's song (oots or city) could help with the airplays and , with some grammies, with the album 's sells....

Tallarico said:
what do u think about the rumours u2-mary j blige like performer at grammy? i dont want it....because i think that an excellent exibition at grammy awards with a bomb's song (oots or city) could help with the airplays and , with some grammies, with the album 's sells....

hope they dont perform one with her, (or one at all) should be playing the next single off bomb, so OOTS.
performing with blige isnt going to help bombs sales at all

phanan said:
An album of the year nod should be a foregone conclusion, although I don't think they'll win. It seems that lately the Grammys have been going for either newer artists or veterans who haven't won that much.

ATYCLB was robbed when it was up for it, and Bruce Springsteen's The Rising was most definitely screwed. I think the same thing will happen this year, although it would be nice to be wrong.
remember last year Ray Charles won Album of the Year, and if that' not a veteran then I don't know what is.

As I work for another U2 site, I got the information from Universal that U2 will perform Vertigo and then One with Mary J. Blige.

That's great news that they'll be performing Vertigo & One... maybe AB will re-enter the top 200 catalogue chart (if it isn't there already).

Back
Top Bottom