GLobal Sales - 1.854m

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zoo tv mcg

The Fly
As reported on Media Traffic, global sales were 1.854m. Second highest opening after Norah Jones this year whose album did 1.92m earlier in the year. Countries reported - US 840k, UK, 201k, Germany 130k, Canada 95k, France 90k, Japan 84k, Australia 48k.

Comment : These countries alone add sales to 1.488m so does this mean the ROW only did another 400k. Could be a little low, depending on how much data they are getting from countries around the world (eg Latin America where the album is doing really well). They have probably captured the biggest markets, but I think total worldwide sales coulbe a little higher.

That said - Not a bad guide though which we can track total worldwide sales for the album.

Eminem's album dropped 42% in sales to 840K.

Note : Vertigo is still at number 3 in the worlwide charts. The single has done exceptionally well in promoting the album.

zoo tv mcg said:
As reported on Media Traffic, global sales were 1.854m. Second highest opening after Norah Jones this year whose album did 1.92m earlier in the year. Countries reported - US 840k, UK, 201k, Germany 130k, Canada 95k, France 90k, Japan 84k, Australia 48k.

Comment : These countries alone add sales to 1.488m so does this mean the ROW only did another 400k. Could be a little low, depending on how much data they are getting from countries around the world (eg Latin America where the album is doing really well). They have probably captured the biggest markets, but I think total worldwide sales coulbe a little higher.

That said - Not a bad guide though which we can track total worldwide sales for the album.

Eminem's album dropped 42% in sales to 840K.

Note : Vertigo is still at number 3 in the worlwide charts. The single has done exceptionally well in promoting the album.

#1 Not every country has a soundscan system where first week sales can be measured.

#2 Because of the above fact, shipments will eventually be the best way to determine how much the album has sold overall. Of course initially, the shipment figure is way ahead of actual sales, but the two will eventually come close to each other over the next year.

#3 I would say that actual sales this week based on what is presented above are much higher. 1,488,000 in sales from only 7 countries. There are at least another 3 dozen countries not listed above with significant sales, like Brazil, Mexico, Netherlands, Spain, Italy, etc.

Re: Re: GLobal Sales - 1.854m

STING2 said:

#1 Not every country has a soundscan system where first week sales can be measured.

#2 Because of the above fact, shipments will eventually be the best way to determine how much the album has sold overall. Of course initially, the shipment figure is way ahead of actual sales, but the two will eventually come close to each other over the next year.

#3 I would say that actual sales this week based on what is presented above are much higher. 1,488,000 in sales from only 7 countries. There are at least another 3 dozen countries not listed above with significant sales, like Brazil, Mexico, Netherlands, Spain, Italy, etc.

Absolutely you're right Sting2!! For example,Italy has been credited of 2x platinum that means 200.000 units sold.
I guess, also considering that normally US market counts in a measure of 30-33%, that HTDAAB has easily surpassed 2 millions units sold with a projection near to 2,5 millions.
We have also to consider all the central and South america,all the Eastern markets and all the European countries!

Well, the certifications are done by shipments, not actual sales....so that's how it's been certified platinum in Australia despite not selling 70,000 its first week...

I have a feeling that the new album will pass up the last one in worldwide sales......it'll end up somewhere around ATYCLB in US sales....

Sting 2. Here is the list of countries provided at the foot of the media traffic charts. Note that it does include Spain, Brazil and Italy, however it does not seem to cover all market such as Mexico. It would be impossible in my view to cover all countries so actual first week sales would be above 2m in my view.

Based on the actual numbers provided, it does appear to be based on sales not shipment data. We know 5.6m were initially shipped for the album which means 1/3 of that stock has already been sold. At the end of this week, about 50% would have been sold so the record company is going to need to produce more cd's for shipping in January.

THE TOP-SELLING ALBUMS ACCORDING TO GLOBAL SALES DATA AND NATIONAL ALBUM-CHARTS. IMPORTANT SOURCES: IFPI, NIELSEN SOUND SCAN (USA, CANADA), ORICON & SOUND SCAN (JAPAN), OFFICIAL UK CHARTS COMPANY (UNITED KINGDOM), SNEP / IFOP (FRANCE), MEDIA CONTROL (GERMANY, AUSTRIA, SWITZERLAND), ARIA (AUSTRALIA), AFYVE & MEDIA CONTROL (SPAIN), FIMI / AC NIELSEN (ITALY), HOT100 BR@SIL (BRAZIL), MEGA CHARTS BV (NETHERLANDS), GLF (SWEDEN), VERDENS GANG (NORWAY), AC NIELSEN (DENMARK, BELGIUM), YLE (FINLAND), AFP (PORTUGAL), ZPAV (POLAND), RIANZ (NEW ZEALAND), RIM (MALAYSIA), CAPIF (ARGENTINA), AND OTHER.
COMPILED AND PROVIDED BY MEDIA TRAFFIC.

Please also consider, that the Japanese sales of 84k was one week earlier (place 39 in the worldwide charts). In the second week the sales drop down to 44k, and this is the figure which is included in the 1.854m worldwide.

Best debut album in weekly sales in at least the last 2 years so I consider that an accomplishment. For Canada sales that is!

THIS is why the band court America so heavily...why they spend so much on advertising here..and why they were so worried when Pop failed (commercially that is.) They won't admit it but in terms of raw numbers, the good ole US of A accounts from anywhere of 35-50% of their market and fanbase, loyal, new and otherwise.

I went through the archives of this site and got the Worldwide positions for Best Of 1990-2000. It went as follows...
1,1,2,4,5,5,6,7,8,9,10,15,18,28,29,32 OUT
It was only certified with one triangle of 2 million copies by the time it dropped out, and it only got the certification after 8 weeks. Now I know thats not correct. That album was released not long before christmas and would have hit 2 million within 4 weeks according to my calculations, and its sold 5-5.5 million.

Back
Top Bottom