Get On Your Boots - chart watch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Romance And Indie Rock Hit The Billboard 200

PROGRESS REPORTS

• U2's "Get On Your Boots" blasts onto the Modern Rock and Triple A radio charts as it arrives at Nos. 8 and 1 on the respective lists. It's the band's highest bow on the Modern Rock chart since 1997, when "Discotheque" opened at No. 3. On the Triple A list, it's the chart's first No. 1 debut. U2's new album, "No Line on the Horizon," will be released March 3 . . . "Boots" is U2's 36th Modern Rock hit, dating back to when "Jesus Christ" debuted at No. 11 on Sept. 17, 1988, the second week of the chart's existence. U2 also continues to reign as the act with the most overall Modern Rock hits, ahead of Pearl Jam's 32.

The numbers are in and the results are disastrous for Bono and the lads!

U2's shiteous underwhelming new single, Get On Your Boots, has debuted at an extremely disappointing #21 on the Soundscan singles chart.

The song sold just 57,267 copies in the past week in the U.S.

By contrast, Kelly Clarkson's, My Life Would Suck Without You, is a massive hit.

The first American Idol has come in at #1 on the Soundscan singles chart and sold more than four times as many singles than U2.

My Life Would Suck Without You was bought (legally) by 279,605 in the U.S. this past week.

BIG difference!

Sucks for Bono.

From perezhilton.com

U2's "Get On Your Boots" blasts onto the Modern Rock and Triple A radio charts as it arrives at Nos. 8 and 1 on the respective lists. It's the band's highest bow on the Modern Rock chart since 1997, when "Discotheque" opened at No. 3. On the Triple A list, it's the chart's first No. 1 debut. U2's new album, "No Line on the Horizon," will be released March 3 . . . "Boots" is U2's 36th Modern Rock hit, dating back to when "Jesus Christ" debuted at No. 11 on Sept. 17, 1988, the second week of the chart's existence. U2 also continues to reign as the act with the most overall Modern Rock hits, ahead of Pearl Jam's 32.

From billboard.biz

Different perspectives i guess:wink:. A decent first week for the Boots imo:up:

It all depends on if sales go up again, if this is the peak for sales then the song is a pretty much a flop. If sales recover we could have a decent hit

perezhilton.com said:
By contrast, Kelly Clarkson's, My Life Would Suck Without You, is a massive hit.

The first American Idol has come in at #1 on the Soundscan singles chart and sold more than four times as many singles than U2.

For the record, I have made it my personal policy never to buy anything from anyone who was ever a contestant on American Idol. Sort of my own mini-protest against record labels and they're manufactured pop crap.

So far so good. :up:

iTunes chart run (updated roughly every 24 hours)

Australia: 16 - 14 - 14 - 17 - 21
Belgium: 11 - 10 - 5 - 4 - 5 - 7 - 9 - 7
Canada: 1/16 - 2/34 - 3/59 - 7/70 - 10/88 - 16/ *out* - 25 - 24
Finland: 5 - 5 - 3 - 3 - 10
France: 1 - 1 - 1 - 2 - 6 - 6 - 10 - 10
Japan: 25 - 19 - 21 - 38 - 39 - 39 - 51 - 52
Luxembourg: 13 - 8 - 16 - 8 - 41 - 52 - 78 - 50
New Zealand: 1 - 1 - 2 - 2 - 3 - 7 - 9 - 11
Netherlands: 1 - 1 - 1 - 2 - 2
Norway: 9 - 3 - 3 - 4 - 4 - 5 - 8 - 9
Portugal: 1 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 1
Sweden: 1 - 1 - 2 - 3 - 5 - 8 - 10 - 18
USA: 16/37 - 22/55 - 37/85 - 45/*Out* - 63 - 85 - 99 - *out*

Worldwide Charts:

New Zealand: 20

What i dont get, is why is this hilton guy so botherd about her beating U2 :|

And, still lets not forgot, this single has had little or NO promotion, so the numbers arent to bad considering that.

Here's another perspective on U2's download sales of GOYB in the US. From a blog on USA Today: Those sales don't suck - Idol Chatter - USATODAY.com

Kelly Clarkson's My Life Would Suck Without You makes its expected debut atop Nielsen SoundScan's Current Digital Tracks chart this week. According to a press release from her label, MLWSWY sold 279,605 downloads in its first week -- the third-biggest digital song debut ever for a female artist. For comparison, the next-highest debut belonged to U2. The group's Get On Your Boots sold only 58,000 downloads.

So it seems GOYB is the 2nd highest debut on the chart. Not too shabby.

Why the hell do people have U2 compete with Kelly Clarkson?? I mean she does pop, u2 does rock. Its stupid to compare the 2.

New at 37 on the BB Top 100 !

I think this might be their highest new entry apart from Discotheque.

I'd expect this to drop for the next chart. They open the grammy awards this year so that should have some impact. After that I expect it to hang around the middle of the charts for a while.

To me the song = Discotheque meets Vertigo. It gets a LOT better when Bono asks "Let me in the sound" . Its a much sexier sounding single than some of their other work and melodically it appears to be deliberately simple.

Also - I still dont see confirmation of Eminems release date for Relapse. I've looked on his website and it still looks like they are keeping their options open. So unless others are certain of the release date I have my doubts if there will be a release date clash with NLOTH. Also hes an Interscope artist (as are U2 in the US) so I would imagine they will do whatever they can to avoid the clash.

n.37 in Hot 100 Us for Get on your boots.
For a rock song (of an old rock n roll band is good...)

So do the sales numbers include iTunes or not? I don't know about you guys but I didn't buy boots because I know I'm going to be buying the Album when it comes out.

It would be interesting to see Boots numbers vs. Vertigo. I think having the single split into two songs on the chart probably hurt it a little, plus remember that Vertigo had a *huge* marketing campaign with Apple on TV.

But anyway, its not something that I would be bothered about. A band that has been around as long as U2 can't keep towing the line. They'll either become irrelevant to the mainstream by trying to reproduce what they did in the past, or they'll alienate their fans who have come to love what they did in the past and don't want them to change.

n.37 in Hot 100 Us for Get on your boots.
For a rock song (of an old rock n roll band is good...)
Vertigo debuted at #46... of course that was before Billboard started counting digital downloads.

It's on U2.com now:

Grammy Performance Next Month
U2 will play at the Grammy Awards in Los Angeles next month.

The 51st annual Grammy Awards take place on February 8th and there's plenty of other great acts lined up including Kid Rock, Robert Plant & Alison Krauss, Rihanna, Coldplay, Jennifer Hudson, Lil Wayne, Paul McCartney, Radiohead and Jay-Z.

It will air on CBS from 8–11:30 p.m. (ET/PT). More here.

The band have already confirmed they'll be performing the new single ‘Get On Your Boots’ at the UK's BRIT Awards at London's Earls Court, ten days later on Wednesday 18 February. And a few days after that they'll be in Berlin to play at Germany's ECHO Awards

If the #116 was right on airplay then downloads must really count for a large percentage of the position on the hot 100.

Number 37 is a great debut. I don't think anyone should say a top 40 hit is dissapointing at all.

I think #37, even if the song drops some from here on, is a solid debut.

First, it gives U2 another Top 40 hit in the U.S. It should be pointed out that "Pride", "Even Better Than...", "Who's Gonna Ride..." and "Vertigo" also only charted in the 30's. Songs like "Last Night on Earth", "Sometimes...", "Stuck...", "All I Want Is You", "When Love Comes To Town", "Lemon", "Gloria", "The Fly", "Stay" and "New Year's Day" didn't even make it to the Top 40.

Furthermore, The Killers' latest, "Human", has spent 17 weeks on the Hot 100. Its highest position was only #32. So if the band that wants to replace U2 has a song whose peak is just five spots higher, I think this says it all. Rock music is still fighting an uphill battle. Some songs from Fallout Boy or Coldplay will break through, but even those songs often have some serious "help" (for example, one Top 10 hit from Fallout Boy was also used in a commercial).

Had U2 done another "Vertigo" type of song - one with a big catchy hook that was also featured in a popular commercial - they too probably would have charted in the top 10 (by selling many more downloads). But which is ultimately better - a song that charts in the Top 40 based on the U2 name alone, or one that's a huge hit because of commercials? I really like "Vertigo", but if U2 need to make songs like "My Life Would Suck Without You" in order to be #1, I'll happily take #37.

n.3 in digital downloads in Canada
n.16 (1 week) in top 100 airplays Canada

(best of 80-90 n.67 in Canada...)

on mediatraffic.de GOYB start at #31 (89.000 points) the chart run in top 40 tracks

The Billboard Hot 100 - #37
Billboard Hot Digital Tracks - #19
Billboard Hot Digital Songs - #21
Billboard Modern Rock Tracks - #8
Billboard Triple A - #1
Billboard Pop 100 - #40
Canadian Hot 100 - #3

Am sorry, but upto now this song is no "flop",

:up:

Any song that cracks the Top 40 in the U.S., is #1 on the Triple A charts and #8 on the Modern Rock charts and even hits #19 on the dance charts (and we haven't even had a remix yet - so this same song is #1 on the alternative charts and #19 on the dance charts!!), is NOT a flop.

Granted, maybe this is the song's peak. So be it. Some of U2's biggest and best loved songs either weren't released as singles ("Bad" and "Until the End...") or never made the Top 40.

But I guess, if you're Perez Hilton, it's #1 or nothing. :rolleyes:

I was pretty surprised to see it at 37. Vertigo only made it to 31, and it had all the promotion from the Ipod commercial. Pretty cool!

True, but Kelly has had alot more promotion for the single than U2. Aside from us diehards, many don't have a clue about a new U2 song. Its starting to get out there to people tho. Feb is going to the be the hit it hard month for the band. I'd expect a SNL appearance and others to help push the song. Plus the offical download for the single is out in a couple weeks. Right now Boots is doing pretty good.

37... that's surprisingly high, considering that Vertigo peaked at 31. Events of the next week will probably drag it forward.

Back
Top Bottom