Get On Your Boots - chart watch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yep, it's going to need more exposure to catch on now. We'll have to see how it does on the radio charts after its first full week on the air.

It's a shame because if they didn't do the goofy two album single download thing, it probably could have sustained more interest on iTunes for a couple more days in the top 10.

Oh well, the album will sell boatloads in the US and I think GOYB will get a big boost later from promotion/a music video/etc. If not, it's going to be a hit overseas and there are other songs in the US I'm sure they can make successful if they really try :wink:

And yes, please share your thoughts on how much you think the album will sell. Obviously it depends somewhat on how good it is and how successful the singles are, but HTDAAB really only had one big single in the US and was still very successful. Also, what do you think the effect of the economic downturn will be? I can see it working both ways. Maybe people will be more likely to buy a U2 album in tough economic times because it from a familiar band they love in a bunch of uncertainty. At the same time, maybe people just don't want to spend money on music this year. I remember reading that business at libraries in the US has skyrocketed in the economic downturn, so it obviously has some strange impacts on what people do with their time and money...:hmm:

I think the fact that GOYB didn't hit the top 10 on downloads didn't hurt it too much. After all, as soon as one opens iTunes, there's a big ad for the new U2 album! And it states that one can get the single now!

I am confused why they have two versions. One cannot download the album. But I guess if one goes to the album site and then downloads the song, that counts as one download. If one downloads through the search for the single, then that's the other download. Still, wouldn't this be true for ALL songs that are both singles and on albums? How come I don't see two entries for all the other songs? Most odd.

Regardless, the iTunes ad is there and the U2 album is still the #1 download. So U2 are getting their share of recognition on iTunes.

GOYB isn't as radio-friendly as "Vertigo". It's not as pop-rock as "Desire". It's not as adult contemporary as "Beautiful Day" and it's not the love ballad of WOWY. While I really like GOYB, I equate it to "The Fly" and "Discotheque" cross. It has the "new U2" aspect that helped "Discotheque" become a hit, but it is a high quality song, like "The Fly", that won't turn fans on the album (and love or hate "Discotheque", one has to accept that it turned a lot of fans off of U2 and "Pop", despite the songs initial appeal).

"The Fly" was not a big hit in the U.S. AB sold well because of the one-two punch of "Mysterious Ways" and "One", both of which dominated rock radio and sold well. The two songs showed two sides of U2, and both were very radio-friendly. With two Top 10 songs, it's easy to see why AB did so well for so long.

Without having heard the other songs on NLOTH, I don't know how well the album will do. I've been wrong a few times, thinking songs like "Stuck..." wouldn't do well - yet it did. Still, despite U2 claiming the last two albums were supposed to be full of singles, they really had only a few songs that I would claim could truly be hits. While U2's appeal is sounding different from the mainstream, sometimes their songs are a bit too different to be accepted. This happened with "Last Night on Earth" and "Sometimes..." (and surprisingly with songs like "All I Want Is You" and "Electrical Storm").

If GOYB is given a big push (radio, TV ad, U2 performances on TV, etc.), then it might be a big enough hit to give the album a big initial push. When the economy is bad, like now, people are willing to buy only little things. Albums, songs, etc. will sell a bit more because people will buy those "creature comforts" instead of cars, homes, or more expensive electronics.

But if GOYB is left to more traditional radio only play, and U2 don't really do much promotion, then we might see more moderate sales. The U2 name alone will probably still generate sales of 400-600K in the U.S. the first week. But to get higher, like HTDAAB did, we need a bigger push (like the "Vertigo" iPod ad, which helped "Vertigo" become a hit, thus feuling desire for the album).

Personally, I'd rather see more slow, but steady sales, kind of like JT, AB and ATYCLB, rather than the initial burst but then a faster decline (like "Pop", which fell really hard, or HTDAAB, which had over 2 million copies sold in the U.S. in mere weeks, but 1 million thereafter).

iTunes chart run (updated roughly every 24 hours)

Belgium: 11 - 10
Canada: 1/16 - 2/34
France: 1 - 1
Japan: 25 - 19
Luxembourg: 13 - 8
New Zealand: 1 - 1
Norway: 9 - 3
Portugal: 1 - 1
Sweden: 1 - 1
USA: 16/37 - 22/55

The single has gone up in the charts everywhere except the US and Canada

Belgium: 11 - 10
Canada: 1/16 - 2/34
France: 1 - 1
Japan: 25 - 19
Luxembourg: 13 - 8
New Zealand: 1 - 1
Norway: 9 - 3
Portugal: 1 - 1
Sweden: 1 - 1
USA: 16/37 - 22/55

The single has gone up in the charts everywhere except the US and Canada

Good sign imo.

I think the fact that GOYB didn't hit the top 10 on downloads didn't hurt it too much. After all, as soon as one opens iTunes, there's a big ad for the new U2 album! And it states that one can get the single now!

Regardless, the iTunes ad is there and the U2 album is still the #1 download. So U2 are getting their share of recognition on iTunes.

True :up:

And I like your thoughts on the economic crisis and its impact. I think this album has great potential to sell as many or more albums than Bomb if it's genuinely good music and there are a couple more radio friendly songs buried in there somewhere...

We will see.

True :up:

And I like your thoughts on the economic crisis and its impact. I think this album has great potential to sell as many or more albums than Bomb if it's genuinely good music and there are a couple more radio friendly songs buried in there somewhere...

We will see.

The worldwide music market is so much weaker now than in 2004, this album won't come close to what Bomb sold. Bomb sold 9-10 million, No Line would do well to sell 6-7

It's on amazon.com not amazon.co.uk

I can't get those multi quotes to work :(

It's on Amazon.co.uk as well, see my earlier post just above the one mikeuk quoted.

Edit: I shouldn't post before having coffee.... that's the preorder of the physical single disc in the UK.

Down to number 35 on itunes top 100, but with bascially no promotion apart from being played on the radio, still pretty good going with a peak of #13 upto now,

maybe once the single is "released" here in the UK, and their performance at the brits that could be the start of the promotion?

Down to number 35 on itunes top 100, but with bascially no promotion apart from being played on the radio, still pretty good going with a peak of #13 upto now,

maybe once the single is "released" here in the UK, and their performance at the brits that could be the start of the promotion?

I'd stay promotion will really start to heat up with the video release

We'll get a better picture of itunes sales at the end of the day though, seeing as it's a rolling 24 hour chart, it's still counting some of yesterday's sales

The worldwide music market is so much weaker now than in 2004, this album won't come close to what Bomb sold. Bomb sold 9-10 million, No Line would do well to sell 6-7

True but that could be due to the fact that people aren't "taking chances" on artists they aren't too familiar with because they don't want to lose $15 on something they aren't sure about. U2 is a widely known commodity, so if the reviews are good people who know them and like them will buy them. In other words, maybe people are only buying music they know they like.

True but that could be due to the fact that people aren't "taking chances" on artists they aren't too familiar with because they don't want to lose $15 on something they aren't sure about. U2 is a widely known commodity, so if the reviews are good people who know them and like them will buy them. In other words, maybe people are only buying music they know they like.

Not trying to be a pain in the ass. I hope that U2 sells gazillions and kicks every Britney and whatever the f**k else off the charts. But the only album that sold more than 10 millions in the last two years was Winehouse's Back to Black if I remember correctly. And it only did that cause it was universally praised and produced a worldwide hit with "Rehab".
Not that U2 can't do those things but y'know how critics love to hate U2, especially at this period of their career and Boots is a almost-perfect song, but far from being radio-friendly. :(

Not trying to be a pain in the ass. I hope that U2 sells gazillions and kicks every Britney and whatever the f**k else off the charts. But the only album that sold more than 10 millions in the last two years was Winehouse's Back to Black if I remember correctly. And it only did that cause it was universally praised and produced a worldwide hit with "Rehab".
Not that U2 can't do those things but y'know how critics love to hate U2, especially at this period of their career and Boots is a almost-perfect song, but far from being radio-friendly. :(

Bomb got 79/100 on Meta Critic and won Alum of the Year at the Grammys. I'd hardly call that critics loving to hate U2...but I know see what you are saying about there being few huge albums in the last couple years...

Belgium: 11 - 10 - 5
Canada: 1/16 - 2/34 - 3/59
France: 1 - 1 - 1
Japan: 25 - 19 - 21
Luxembourg: 13 - 8 - 16
New Zealand: 1 - 1 - 2
Norway: 9 - 3 - 3
Portugal: 1 - 1 - 1
Sweden: 1 - 1 - 2
USA: 16/37 - 22/55 - 37/85

Dropping newly everywhere :(

Still holding pretty steady imo, just wait until the brits ;) i got a big feeling thats when things will click in

I just checked out the iTunes Top Songs chart, and it was wonderful to see the U2 single cover on a bunch of them.

I saw the other songs that were ahead and they're all laaaame.

It was wonderful on the eyes to see U2 hitting #1 from the Netherlands and to Portugal. Beautiful! :)

In the U.S., one version of the song hit #13. So it did get higher than #16.

Given U2 have done ZERO promotion for this song, their age, and that it's just starting to get some minor play on radio, I think the song is already doing well. If U2 does some TV appearances or commercials (and sadly, to get hit songs these days, even big pop artists sometimes have to resort to this), we may see a big turnaround. If not, so be it. I'd rather see U2 have two or three hits from this album, not one like "Beautiful Day" or "Vertigo" that really was THE hit.

In the U.S., one version of the song hit #13. So it did get higher than #16.

Given U2 have done ZERO promotion for this song, their age, and that it's just starting to get some minor play on radio, I think the song is already doing well. If U2 does some TV appearances or commercials (and sadly, to get hit songs these days, even big pop artists sometimes have to resort to this), we may see a big turnaround. If not, so be it. I'd rather see U2 have two or three hits from this album, not one like "Beautiful Day" or "Vertigo" that really was THE hit.

I'm updating it based on the charts at the end of the day, so It's missing the earlier US peaks, this is just the peak from when I started counting them

The song has now been released in Australia, Finland, and the Netherlands, so that'll be added to the list at the next update

If it's out anywhere else someone tell me so the list doesn't fall too far behind

Australia: 16
Belgium: 11 - 10 - 5 - 4
Canada: 1/16 - 2/34 - 3/59 - 7/70
Finland: 5
France: 1 - 1 - 1 - 2
Japan: 25 - 19 - 21 - 38
Luxembourg: 13 - 8 - 16 - 8
New Zealand: 1 - 1 - 2 - 2
Netherlands: 1
Norway: 9 - 3 - 3 - 4
Portugal: 1 - 1 - 1 - 1
Sweden: 1 - 1 - 2 - 3
USA: 16/37 - 22/55 - 37/85 - 45/*Out*

Looks like they have stopped doing them as 2 single tracks and started counting them as 1 (bit late now imo, they should now add them both together n push it up), the track has move up 2 places as it was 47 before,

not everything is as doom and gloom as people make out,

Looks like they have stopped doing them as 2 single tracks and started counting them as 1 (bit late now imo, they should now add them both together n push it up), the track has move up 2 places as it was 47 before,

not everything is as doom and gloom as people make out,

I'm hoping they're still not combined, makes the chart position sound a little better :wink:

Back
Top Bottom