Get On Your Boots - chart watch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks like U2 is promoting the GOYB video on myspace. Sometimes when you log into myspace.com a huge ad appears for a link to the video. Looks like the video has been viewed about 400,000 times on myspace video in the last day or two and has a 78% :up: rating.

Interesting promotion strategy...Looks like GOYB is also back in the iTunes top 100 rocks songs at #99. If it doesn't come back into the overall top 100 after the Grammy performance tonight I'd be shocked.

Looks like U2 is promoting the GOYB video on myspace. Sometimes when you log into myspace.com a huge ad appears for a link to the video. Looks like the video has been viewed about 400,000 times on myspace video in the last day or two and has a 78% :up: rating.

Interesting promotion strategy...Looks like GOYB is also back in the iTunes top 100 rocks songs at #99. If it doesn't come back into the overall top 100 after the Grammy performance tonight I'd be shocked.

Everyone promotes their video on myspace. I'm a regular user. It's nothing out of the ordinary.

Out of top 40 in Australia, No. 26 last week. Worst prformance by a single in Australia.

But even some of U2's prior singles dropped really fast there. For some reason, U2's albums will linger and linger (except for "Pop") on the Australian charts, but the songs will make an appearance and drop out quickly.

I guess this is more proof that U2 isn't really a singles band - but more of an album band.

#46 actually, or has it dropped a spot?

How much time for iTunes to update their charts?

For christ's sake... how much songs The Fray has on this damn chart?

Another question:
all those pre orders will be counted along the first week sales when the album is released right?

I wonder what GibsonExplorer makes, of that? i mean sorry but that seems like a fast climb!

Thanks!

#39 now. Go go Boots!!!

From completely off the charts to #39 is indeed a big improvement. And it may still climb.

Granted, it's not like it leapt to #1, but the performance did its job - it made the public aware of both the song (which really hasn't received a lot of promotion) and the upcoming album.

And given that the song has increased in airplay on the stations that do play it (increasing in just about every category from the week prior), this could bode well for this or next week's Hot 100 chart (not exactly sure when Billboard stops collecting data for their singles chart. If it's Sunday, then GOYB should see the effect next week).

I wonder what GibsonExplorer makes, of that? i mean sorry but that seems like a fast climb!

Much like Perez Hilton (maybe Gibson *is* Perez! :sexywink: ), he'd probably point out how Clarkson is still selling tons.

I don't have a problem with that, per se. What irks me is that when U2 are too popular, fans complain. When U2 is mildly popular, fans complain. If U2 don't promote, fans complain. When U2 do promote, fans complain. If U2 don't perform, fans complain. When U2 do perform, fans complain. For a site dedicated to U2, it boggles my mind to see such "U2 hate" here. :shrug: But after almost 9 years on this site, while I gripe, I'm used to it. And I love what I've seen and heard so far. So it's all good. :up:

Ah, fogot to say... it's #39 in the Rock charts... but now it has dropped to #45 again. There's no sign of it on the iTunes Top 100. Bruce Springsteen's "Working on a Dream", which #15 on the rock chart is on the bottom 5 of the Top 100

Ah, fogot to say... it's #39 in the Rock charts... but now it has dropped to #45 again. There's no sign of it on the iTunes Top 100. Bruce Springsteen's "Working on a Dream", which #15 on the rock chart is on the bottom 5 of the Top 100

Any sales are good sales. :up:

I hate to say this, but U2 is far, far removed for their JT-AB era, where just releasing a new album would generate top 10 hits and radio stations were drooling over U2.

With "Pop", U2 proved they could falter a bit (even though sales were respectable).

However, given the success of BD and "Vertigo" and the last two albums, one would think stations would give U2 a chance again. Clearly fans want to hear U2.

And yet...

So to succeed, and I hate to say this, it's like U2 have to go back to 1981, where they have to tour and over-promote themselves. As the world has changed from 1981, they need the 'net and TV. Another iPod ad or car commercial and "wham!" - big hit.

Of course, do we want that? I'd rather the song be a smaller hit than see it used in a car commercial. :yes: But if it's an iPod or iTunes or something music related, I have no problems with that.

Which just goes to show why we as music, especially rock fans, shouldn't care about the iTunes chart, nowadays the US music industry is all based around selling crappy derivative singles for ringtones. 99% of which are "hip hop" or girly singer-songwriter stuff that pretty much sounds like everything that has come out over the past 10 years. Not even fake "rock" that was popular on the radio and TV earlier this decade really ranks anymore. OK, rant over. Haha

#39 again...
I think iTunes is messing with me... :angry:

Well, I follow doctorwho educated feedback since the Wire list digest times, back in 1994-1995. Go figure. He didnt go by the same name those days though.

WIRE was an e-mail based posting site, similar to the Yahoo groups of today. One would post and get the message added to a digest. A person could choose to receive individual posts (and that could mean hundreds of e-mails on a very busy day) or get WIRE as one combined digest (which most of us did).

As such, my real name was used.

However, I used to sign off each of my posts as "Ciao, John". No, I'm not Italian, just thought it was a fun way to end my posts. As a result, I got to be known as "CiaoJohn". A new moniker was born! :up:

When Interference really took off, I decided to create a name based on my other big hobby - Doctor Who - the BBC show (that is back on the air).

My love of charts is still there, but so many of you do a great job at finding all the info. before I do, that now I get to sit back and enjoy the numbers without spending hours each week hunting and tracking all of them. :yes: So thank you everyone else!

doctor you think U2's performance at the grammys has had a positive impact on the single?

yes...because the grammy performance + all the articles (on internet, on the newspapers ecc.) about grammy + videoclip of GOYB on the net (yes, also on perezhilton.com) is the start of new album's campaign!But before the Brits i would want to see another performance or same in Usa...but i'don't think it is possible...

another question: why we don't see Vertigo on the itunes charts (in all the world)?We see Beautiful day, wowy, one, sunday b. sunday but NEVER Vertigo...

Back
Top Bottom