Get On Your Boots - chart watch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Probably... I mean, at least, more people will get to know about this in the U.S.. Especially beacuse the Grammys/Superbowl.

I actually predict the song to drop this coming week (in the U.S.).

iTunes sales have dropped dramatically and the Super Bowl ads may come too late to keep the song in the Top 40.

But hopefully the Super Bowl + Grammies will give the song a boost in the future weeks.

That said, given that this really isn't all that radio-friendly, I don't see it crossing over to pop radio the way "Vertigo" did. Still, perhaps it'll get just enough airplay on all the rock stations and the downloads will be high enough to at least keep it floating in the Hot 100 for a while. With that in mind, I don't think the song will crack the Top 30. We may have even seen its peak.

But hey - it hit the Top 40 and I'm happy. :yes:

iTunes sales have dropped dramatically and the Super Bowl ads may come too late to keep the song in the Top 40.

But hopefully the Super Bowl + Grammies will give the song a boost in the future weeks.

That said, given that this really isn't all that radio-friendly, I don't see it crossing over to pop radio the way "Vertigo" did. Still, perhaps it'll get just enough airplay on all the rock stations and the downloads will be high enough to at least keep it floating in the Hot 100 for a while. With that in mind, I don't think the song will crack the Top 30. We may have even seen its peak.

One thing: I always see how everyone talks about Vertigo. Of course, it is a lot more radio-friendly than GOYB, but I don't think it sounded like anything on the radio on those days. If it had had the same kind of "stealth promotion" that GOYB is having (until now, but that's already confirmed to change as we all know) it wouldn't have charted so well and sold so many downloads. What made Vertigo was the ipod commercial and all the promotion. So, I think that GOYB has almost the same changes if we doesn't count that U2 didn't promote it. It's almost certain that it will drop (a lot, btw) next week. But I believe we'll see it rising in the charts in the weeks to come. Especially if U2 attach it to a commercial that has the same appeal as the ipod one.
Vertigo was radio-friendly, much more than GOYB, but with the right promotion they could make it chart even higher than Vertigo.

Australian Chart

No. 26 on Singles Chart and 23 on download chart. Debut is very good conisdering that is only available on download and no single CD.

Yes I expect a drop next week, however once the video and grammys kick in I expect a climb once again.

http://www.mmr247.com/mmrweb/Reports/Reg/EMD.asp?SOngID=1631356&NumDays=7

u2's get on your boots on the radio...i don't know if these numbers are good or not because i don't know Us radio system well...

Although I don't know what all the categories mean, it does appear that GOYB increased in the number of plays across the country in every category except one, Triple A. However, the reduction on Triple A was only a scant 16 spins, meaning the song could remain #1 on that chart. And as it increased in other areas and had over 300 more total spins than it did last week, the airplay chart shouldn't change much. In fact, GOYB might even increase a notch or two on the total airplay chart.

However, iTunes sales have plummeted, meaning the sales aspect of GOYB is gone. As such, GOYB will drop on this week's U.S. Hot 100 chart.

I don't recall hearing the song at all during the Super Bowl. If it played, I didn't recognize it. Perhaps it was on the NFL network? If so, only those who get that cable station heard it - meaning a more limited audience. If GOYB was used during the Super Bowl, given that I didn't recognize it, chances are good that neither did any casual fan. So I don't predict any boost in GOYB due to the Super Bowl.

Therefore, it's up to the Grammies. If U2 performs GOYB there, and I would think they will given it's their new song, then the song might get a boost. If, however, U2 are already thinking of a second, more radio-friendly single, then clearly the focus has shifted and we will have seen the peak of GOYB.

Although I don't know what all the categories mean, it does appear that GOYB increased in the number of plays across the country in every category except one, Triple A. However, the reduction on Triple A was only a scant 16 spins, meaning the song could remain #1 on that chart. And as it increased in other areas and had over 300 more total spins than it did last week, the airplay chart shouldn't change much. In fact, GOYB might even increase a notch or two on the total airplay chart.

However, iTunes sales have plummeted, meaning the sales aspect of GOYB is gone. As such, GOYB will drop on this week's U.S. Hot 100 chart.

I don't recall hearing the song at all during the Super Bowl. If it played, I didn't recognize it. Perhaps it was on the NFL network? If so, only those who get that cable station heard it - meaning a more limited audience. If GOYB was used during the Super Bowl, given that I didn't recognize it, chances are good that neither did any casual fan. So I don't predict any boost in GOYB due to the Super Bowl.

Therefore, it's up to the Grammies. If U2 performs GOYB there, and I would think they will given it's their new song, then the song might get a boost. If, however, U2 are already thinking of a second, more radio-friendly single, then clearly the focus has shifted and we will have seen the peak of GOYB.

GOYB commercial was posted in the goyb superbowl thread. It was short but the song was recognizable.

Given how much it looks like they spent on the music video based on the rough cut, I don't think they are going to go with another single until after the album's release. But it is critical for them to get the video out the door ASAP.

GOYB commercial was posted in the goyb superbowl thread. It was short but the song was recognizable.

The important thing: they used a part where the actual name of the song is said and repeated. That means a lot.

I predict a fall on the Hot 100 from #37 to #68.

Airplay will increase however over the next few weeks and if the Grammy performance goes well we will see at least a temperary spike in the ITunes sales. This could allow the song to creap back ahead of #37 probably to it's peak of about #30.

GOYB is not radio-friendly enough to be a big hit. and lets face it, hit singles are what sell albums. ok the U2 name will guarentee a good few million copies, but to get the casuals buying it will NEED a hit single. that said GOYB is and will be huge across Europe and maybe (unlikely) a 2nd single will provide a bigger hit - looking at coldplays recent album, it was the 2nd single - viva la vida - that was the international hit, the first single and subsequent singles, havent really done much. yes viva la vida is a great song (and i dont really like coldplay) but it does make you realise the importance of iTunes commercials!

P.S. i would like to see another U2 iTunes advert i.e. Vertigo, i cant see how this can be viewed as selling out. it takes the song to a larger audience

The video delay is really hurting them I think, at least here in the UK.

We have dozens of music channels which play back to back videos - most of them watched by kids and teenagers.

GOYB has been released for download in Spain some hours ago (on itunes) and is #1 in top 10 rock songs and #2 in top 10 songs!

GOYB drops to 96 on the BB hot 100

GOYB drops to 96 on the BB hot 100

Drops to 119 on the airplay chart despite an increase in plays

This was expected. The DL for Boots have decreased big time. This is when U2 need to start the promo machine full on. The video delay didnt help matters. I'm sure your going to see alot of "U2 single drops like a rock" talk, but lets see what Feb does for boots.

Singles don't have a second wind, like albums. There won't be a comeback for this song. America doesn't like it.

Well, you could almost argue that this one hasn't had a first wind yet as there has been very little promotion and what there was has been confused. The press never reported that the song was available on iTunes they just kept plugging the Feb 15/16 release dates. The only people who really know about the song are serious fans that watch for the news online and people who stumbled across the song on iTunes.

Dana

All signs are pointing to the song underperforming in USA, but i'm kinda getting used to that with USA and U2. The rest of the world seems to be doing a lot better. I know for example, with the countdown on our local radio station, where you text in the songs you like and it makes a Top 20 chart. Boots is doing well, debuting at 19 a week after release, and climbed every day and has now hit number 2. Okay, so it's only a fairly small radio station, but still...

Hot 100 #96

37-96

Triple A #1

1-1

Hot Modern Rock Tracks #6

8-6

Alternative #6

8-6

Active Rock #32

34-32

Hot AC #32

35-32

Vox

Ha! It goes up everywhere and it falls on the Hot 100.

Back
Top Bottom