Get On Your Boots - chart watch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Have only heard the song twice so far, yes its fantastic, but i dont think anywhere near as radio friendly as vertigo was.

will the US iTunes downloads from both (all) versions be combined to give chart position (aswell as airplay that is)

by the looks of it on UK iTunes GOYB is available to download. but i thought it wasnt released for download till 15th feb, does that mean it cant chart till then even if its #1 on downloads?

I don't think Boots is on the the UK itunes until Feb 15...

itunesus200901211100ab0.jpg

iTunes chart with bars so you can see how the songs are doing and how far apart they are

So, its being downloaded in the UK now, but the next 3 weeks of downloads wont be counted towards the singles chart? how can that make any sense :S

but if you add the two "get on your boots"'s bars together you have a top 10...:applaud:

It looks like it would fall at about 8 or 9.

Remember that download sales are only a portion of the chart position in the U.S. Does anyone know what percentage downloads are and what percent airplay?

Current itunes chart places

Belgium - 11
Canada - 1 & 16
France - 1
Japan - 25
Luxembourg - 13
New Zealand - 1
Norway - 9
Portugal - 1
Sweden - 1
USA - 16 & 37

ok!
a question for you (and sorry for my bad english...):in Usa, what kind of radio stations (i consider the format: triple a, rock, active rock, alternative ecc.) GOYB could break?

Boots will probably break on the modern rock stations. Its the format PM is always after, and its the one more of the "kids" like to listen to. Mainstream rock also is another format Boots could break on. Vertigo did chart high on both formats. I don't see hot AC, playing this song at all, but I could see this having a chance to cross over at Pop if given a chance. U2 has had a so-so showing on the pop stations.

Stll has huge potential to be a hit, itunes top 10's as follows: US#23. France #1, Belgium just broke into the top 10 at #10, Canada down 1 place #2, New Zealand #1, Norway #5, and Portugal #1,

am assuming it hasnt been released anywhere else as of yet.

Update....forgot to mention also #1 in Sweden

dou you know why they have relased the downloads on Itunes in some countries and not in others (like Uk for example)?

Stll has huge potential to be a hit, itunes top 10's as follows: US#23. France #1, Belgium just broke into the top 10 at #10, Canada down 1 place #2, New Zealand #1, Norway #5, and Portugal #1,

am assuming it hasnt been released anywhere else as of yet.

Update....forgot to mention also #1 in Sweden

it sort of sucks for the US chart. It was as high as #13 AND 35 last night. It's being counted twice with the two options to download it under. If it were combined I'm pretty confident that would have been top 10.

I noticed Gives You Hell by the All American Rejects is in the top 5 on itunes. This song is a great example of a grower at Itunes. When it first was out, it lingered for about a month than caught on at radio and got exposure and now is a nice hit. Boots is only in week one, and I really dont expect it to really make a dent til about mid Feb, with promo (hopefully) goes into full gear.

it sort of sucks for the US chart. It was as high as #13 AND 35 last night. It's being counted twice with the two options to download it under. If it were combined I'm pretty confident that would have been top 10.

I saw this too. Unfortunately, both versions (even though they appear to be the exact same version) have dropped quite a bit. Seems the initial interest from the more die-hard fans has died somewhat and now it will need further promotion to hit the next level (i.e., radio play, TV, yada).

iTunes charts are great, but the Billboard charts are what matters. And for that, Billboard may indeed combine all the sales for GOYB into one. They'll also look at total radio plays. That's how the single will chart. Will it be enough for a Top 20 hit? Don't know. "Beautiful Day" was a very slow grower, climbing up the charts over months and lingering there for ages. "Vertigo", thanks to the TV ad, was more of an instant hit (sadly, Billboard didn't count iTunes and other downloads back then). If U2 does a more traditional promotion (radio), then GOYB may indeed take a while to catch on, if it does at all. It's a great song, but like "The Fly", it's not that radio-friendly. So it may not be a huge hit.

Then again, I was a bit unsure whether "Beautiful Day" would catch on, and it did. :)

Doctor you seem to be pretty good with predictions (or at least i remember you being with HTDAAB), how do you think this single will affect the album? and whats your opinion overall on how the album will do?

I saw this too. Unfortunately, both versions (even though they appear to be the exact same version) have dropped quite a bit. Seems the initial interest from the more die-hard fans has died somewhat and now it will need further promotion to hit the next level (i.e., radio play, TV, yada).

Yep, it's going to need more exposure to catch on now. We'll have to see how it does on the radio charts after its first full week on the air.

It's a shame because if they didn't do the goofy two album single download thing, it probably could have sustained more interest on iTunes for a couple more days in the top 10.

Oh well, the album will sell boatloads in the US and I think GOYB will get a big boost later from promotion/a music video/etc. If not, it's going to be a hit overseas and there are other songs in the US I'm sure they can make successful if they really try :wink:

And yes, please share your thoughts on how much you think the album will sell. Obviously it depends somewhat on how good it is and how successful the singles are, but HTDAAB really only had one big single in the US and was still very successful. Also, what do you think the effect of the economic downturn will be? I can see it working both ways. Maybe people will be more likely to buy a U2 album in tough economic times because it from a familiar band they love in a bunch of uncertainty. At the same time, maybe people just don't want to spend money on music this year. I remember reading that business at libraries in the US has skyrocketed in the economic downturn, so it obviously has some strange impacts on what people do with their time and money...:hmm:

Back
Top Bottom