Get On Your Boots - chart watch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I dont see why people are finding this so shocking. It will be far more intersting to see Album Sales results, the day of the single especially for a band of U2s age is all but dead.

Overall I think the song has done quite well. What did The Rolling Stones have on the chart at U2s age....nothing.

The interesteng thing is that GOYB was #1 in Uk about the phisycal...with near 4,5k...
And only #15 with downloads...
The final resoult was #12 with near 21k...

I think u2 for singles and album is yet a "phisycal" band...only Vertigo (why?simply it was the jingle of ITUNES...) have been a big internet hit for the band...and u2's fans want to buy the single on cd for their collections...(and don't download...)

But Boots is falling :shrug:

If the UK charts was done just for physical single sales like it has been on all other U2 singles then Boots would of been no1 as the previous person has stated as it has sold more than any other single last week and we would not even be having the discussion!

People need to understand the UK single charts has changed completely over the past 12 months!

If the UK charts was done just for physical single sales like it has been on all other U2 singles then Boots would of been no1 as the previous person has stated as it has sold more than any other single last week and we would not even be having the discussion!

People need to understand the UK single charts has changed completely over the past 12 months!

This would be like saying, they were the number 1 vinyl if no one bought the CD.

Digital is replacing the CD single, U2 need to sell on digital or they won't have hit singles no matter how many physicals they sell because the physical is pretty much not even worth releasing anymore

Billboard has updated, and Boots pretty much holds it's position on most of the charts.

Pop 100 - Last week; 85 This week; 93 5 weeks in the chart after #40 debut
Alternative - down from 5 to 6
Triple A - down from 1 to 2
Mainstream Rock - holds in the 30's
Canada Hot 100 - holds in the 30's
Canada Rock 100 - holds at #1
Hot Adult Top 40 - rises to #29
BB Hot Videos - debuts at #11 in it's first week

Really, overall, this song has done what it was intended to do for the U.S. and, IMO, Canada. The recent live performances, the video, the upcoming Letterman and GMA live performances, etc., should help the album sales in a similar way that BD helped ATYCLB and Vertigo helped HTDAAB.

I really can't gauge just how much illegal downloads affected ATYCLB and HTDAAB sales...I know it hurt them, as it has all album sales...but have no idea if it's worse, the same, or what...

It does feel like NLOTH has been made very accessible to A LOT of different media outlets and obviously was put on sale in Australia early. It kinda feels like this album is already all over the net, and I can't say I felt that way about their last 2 albums. Can't say I was paying close attention, though. Just IMHO, I know I have listened to the whole album via three different sources. I plan to buy it on March 3, but except for clips and/or released singles, I have not ever gone out to buy a new U2 disc having already heard the album dozens of times.

Back to topic...Boots has done the same as a typical U2 lead single in the 2nd half of their career here in the U.S.; i.e., Top 10 Alternative, #1 on Triple A, floating in the Pop 100 for a few months, engaging video, etc. I am curious to see if Magnificent, or some other song, can actually be a truly "BIG" single in the U.S. With the entire album being played on Triple A, Alternative, etc., which are the typical formats for U2, I kinda doubt their will be a really big single from this album in the U.S. Like some others of said, though, not sure U2 cares. For me, at least at this point in time, NLOTH is for "album lovers", as I love to listen to it from beginning to end. AB was the last album that made me want to do that, and IMO, it's a masterpiece if it inspires full length listens.

Boots has done the same as a typical U2 lead single in the 2nd half of their career here in the U.S.; i.e., Top 10 Alternative, #1 on Triple A, floating in the Pop 100 for a few months, engaging video, etc.

Vertigo and Beautiful Day were HUGE. At the time Vertigo was released, Billboard didn't count digital downloads or it would have likely been a top 10 or even top 5 hit. You were living under a rock if you didn't hear Vertigo in the US in 2004.

Same can't be said about Boots. It hasn't done the job a first single is supposed to do in my opinion.

No boots hasnt done the job, but i think they have done more album promo this time round to make up for that. first week sales sould be big, but after that a single will be needed.

It does feel like NLOTH has been made very accessible to A LOT of different media outlets and obviously was put on sale in Australia early. It kinda feels like this album is already all over the net, and I can't say I felt that way about their last 2 albums. Can't say I was paying close attention, though. Just IMHO, I know I have listened to the whole album via three different sources. I plan to buy it on March 3, but except for clips and/or released singles, I have not ever gone out to buy a new U2 disc having already heard the album dozens of times.

In fairness we would be massive hypcrites talking about album sales and complaining how bad chart positions are if we didnt go out and by the album ourselves :D

I've managed to stay away from it until now and will buy it tommorrow. I guess I just wanted to wait to hear it. If I heard it all before buying the CD then there wouldnt be much to look forward to. Cant wait for it now!

Boots is no Vertigo

No boots hasnt done the job, but i think they have done more album promo this time round to make up for that. first week sales sould be big, but after that a single will be needed.

Yeah, you guys are right. Boots just fell out of the United Global Top 40 as well. Guess I was thinking back to the singles released in the U.S. AFTER Vertigo, and those songs pretty much followed the same pattern that Boots has to date.

But, as a LEAD single, it's not done the job. Guess in one way I'm surprised the song has done ANYTHING on U.S. charts. It's disappointing because so far, I really like this album...and when I first heard boots in the order of the tracklisting, it seemed to fit OK. Magnificent might have been a better choice for a lead single...but I don't know. Like I said, listening to NLOTH all the way through has been pretty great for me personally, but predicting whether or not any of the songs after Boots would actually be a "hit" on U.S. radio is impossible for me.

Outside of the U.S., from what I've read here, Boots has been a disappointing lead single. I guess that here in the U.S., I've lowered my expectations for U2 singles.

well boots up to n.28 on global charts with 110.000 points.5th week on chart.but in other countries like germany,france,ecc where is?

The song has divided people, but I really feel like they dropped the ball when it came to promoting it, they're doing a better job getting the album out there, but Boots still could have been more of a hit (I don't think it should have been the lead single though). Release the video at the same time, actually do press on the radio/internet about the song and get an iTunes commercial for it and it would have done better. But who's to say they needed to sell out, but Paul McG will push the following singles more.

If it had been used on some iPod commercial I could see this doing really, really well. And I agree, they dropped the ball with its promotion this time. Altough I believe that the second single will be real hit here, as I believe that U2 is using the Coldplay techinique. The only difference is that I think that they will release CT and second single on US and Magnificent as second on UK

Canada radio play still holding at mid-teens at 16. Down four from last week.

Unrelated to GOYB but The Joshua Tree is new on the album sales chart in Canada this week at #56:up:

Get On Ya Boots

nl H. Pos.: 5 / weken: 5
be H. Pos.: 19 / weken: 4 (Vl)
H. Pos.: 16 / weken: 2 (Wa)
se H. Pos.: 8 / weken: 5
no H. Pos.: 5 / weken: 2
au H. Pos.: 26 / weken: 1
nz H. Pos.: 20 / weken: 1

I thought music wasn't a competitive sport. Therefore what;s going on here then? Record companies pay more attention to sales rather than chart possitions. The reason why Boots didn't get in the Top 10 UK chart is because the singles chart is run by chavs. Boots doesn't sound good as a polyphonic ring tone compared to Lady GaGa whose music sounds like a mobile phone song even before you get it on your phone. The band never released Boots as a DVD like they've done with their previous singles and they only released one CD. The charts are just numbers, no one I know pays any attention to them whatsoever. No one even cares about the Christmas No 1 anymore. The band should grow up and stop belittling themselves for numbers that no one gives a fig about. They lowered themselves by doing that 'duet' 3 years ago with that chav on One. Now that song is about numbers now. Bono said said it never got to No 1, SO? Isn't the fact that it's genuienly regarded more important then a flippin number? He's now irreversibly destroyed his whole reputation as a singer now because of that. Plus he also seems to be picking up bad habbits from her as well (ie: shouting rather than singing at the Mendela birthday last year)

its holding firm on UK itunes still at no25 which is hardly any different from first week where it was around 19-22 mark most of the week

its holding firm on UK itunes still at no25 which is hardly any different from first week where it was around 19-22 mark most of the week

It's actually going up again, it was down at around 28-30 for most of the week

looks like being on BBC all day long has helped sales :lol:

U2 should try and get the next single on a big TV show in the US. Something like Grey's Anatomy, One Tree Hill or whatever. Thats the sort of thing that gets a song to a mass audience!

in Usa #99 in top 100 songs...and #11 in top 100 rock songs...very good...

Apple - iTunes - iTunes Store - Charts - Top 10 Rock Songs

here is an interesting link for u2's songs from no line on the horizon...

All i can see is the top 10 for everything, not top 100... do you have to be a member??
Good to see that NLOTH is number 1 in every country it's been released in so far, and in places like Australia and Germany it is number 1 AND number 2 with the multiple versions!

Considering most people in the world seemed to expect it to drop out of the top 40 this time last week, it is good

:up:

considering most of the exposure didnt really come till the friday night the single is hanging on more than good, considering most U2 singles would now be out of the top 40 past 2 week this is a good result :up:

and brilliant news for the album on itunes charts, number 1 on many and numner 2 and 5 on UK when i last looked, and bount to hit number 1 at some point.

:up:

considering most of the exposure didnt really come till the friday night the single is hanging on more than good, considering most U2 singles would now be out of the top 40 past 2 week this is a good result :up:

and brilliant news for the album on itunes charts, number 1 on many and numner 2 and 5 on UK when i last looked, and bount to hit number 1 at some point.

Hasn't shown up on the UK I-tunes top 10 yet, I'm looking at it right now. It's actually not released until about 7 hours from now in the UK I think?

Back
Top Bottom