Get On Your Boots - chart watch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Of course GOYB didn't chart well in the UK. The roll-out was horrible. It had been released in high-quality AAC and MP3 weeks before in the US and other markets. Everyone who would have paid for a download in the UK already had it.

Kelly Clarkson was just released there too, it's number 1 on itunes

So being released in the US first wasn't the reason

Top 100 Hits Online update for the week through Feb 14. It debuted Feb 7 at #70. This week, it's the 2nd highest gainer, rising to #51. So, in the U.S. anyway, I doubt U2 are looking to release the next single.

As I've said before, I'm pleasantly surprised that Boots has done anything in the U.S., currently sitting at #5 on Billboards Modern Rock, #1 on Triple A, in it's 4th straight week on the Pop 100, and rising on Hot Adult Top 40 and Hot AC. The video should debut on Billboard this week, too, unless it's not getting any airplay. I wouldn't know. It's a pretty good video, though.

Anyone listen to "Rick Dees Top 40" radio show? :lol: I remember that show as a kid...and I'm now, um, much older. Anyway, he tracks 3 formats and has 3 weekly countdowns. Last week, on Rick Dee's "Hot Adult Top 40", U2 was not listed, but Boot's was at the end of the chart, listed as "SS". That stands for Super Star, Super Single, ?

Anyway, this week, for Feb 20 through Feb 27, Boots is the highest debut on that same chart, coming in at #32 with a bullet. I check that chart when I look through one of my chart links websites...and I don't remember the last time any U2 song made it onto a Rick Dees weekly Top 40. Is it possible the song still has a future in the U.S., of all places?

12 in the uk is a joke

U2 would have been #1 on physicals

thats 2 great bands suffering from the downloads in the uk now

Oasis only got to #3 witht their comeback

Booo for UK:down:

Does anyone remember how many physical copies Vertigo sold when it was released in the UK? Or Sometimes you can´t make it on your own for that matter. I mean, only with this info we can deduce what would have been GOYB position should phyiscal sales were the only thing that counted as in the past.

Does anyone remember how many physical copies Vertigo sold when it was released in the UK? Or Sometimes you can´t make it on your own for that matter. I mean, only with this info we can deduce what would have been GOYB position should phyiscal sales were the only thing that counted as in the past.

But U2 didn't just sell physicals, they sold a decent number on downloads

VERTIGO sold 55,000
SOMETIMES sold 30,000

or very close too

Thanks andy!
There you go, the 20,000 copies GOYB has sold should have been enough to get them to the top 5 if downloads had not been counted. So any discussion has to take into account the current scenario, much different in comparison with 2004-2005, and not mere numbers.

Still, I agree that this is not great for U2 standards.

No 12 in the UK for a first single is awful. U2 were booked on the Culture show on BBC 2 and more importantly, Jonathan Ross on BBC1 this week, in the complete expectation that the single would be No 1.

Imagine if BD or Vertigo had only charted at 12; this is early 2000's A-Ha territory.

They need, and I mean need, to release the version of 'Magnificent' that Bono was blasting on the beach clips last summer, not the altered album version.

No 12 in the UK for a first single is awful. U2 were booked on the Culture show on BBC 2 and more importantly, Jonathan Ross on BBC1 this week, in the complete expectation that the single would be No 1.

Imagine if BD or Vertigo had only charted at 12; this is early 2000's A-Ha territory.

They need, and I mean need, to release the version of 'Magnificent' that Bono was blasting on the beach clips last summer, not the altered album version.

I agree that Magnificent should be released _ and soon, but just a couple of tweaks from the album version Alternatively just go for it with Unknown caller Mike

I've spent quiet a bit of time listening to the beach clip version of 'Magnificent' and the six months of tinkering with the mix has not done it any favours. The most dramatic elements; Larry's drumming, the dramatic cord changes and Bono screaming "Only Love" toward the end (the Dutch Guy recording it on his mobile, is dumbfounded and says "incredible!") are all missing or are watered down on the album version.

The version that they had in May/June/July 2008 NEEDS to be released as a single.

BOOTS missed the top 50 in AUS

only #51

poor again

It's at number 3 on the physical CD charts in Australia.

But the physical release came a least a week too late. The downloads have slowed so the combined CD/download totals didn't get it into the charts.

It's number 1 on the JB HiFi chart and getting good airplay still. But you can't even buy it (physical or download) at Sanity or Virgin. And for the first time I can remember, Red Eye aren't stocking a U2 track.

Do you think that any single on this album will get lower than number 14 on the UK singles charts?

Will "Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses" finally be able to have beaten a single following it's uk release?! (which got number 14 uk)

Do you think that any single on this album will get lower than number 14 on the UK singles charts?

Will "Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses" finally be able to have beaten a single following it's uk release?! (which got number 14 uk)

There are a lot of other singles entered the UK chart lower than this from the first 3 albums!

Say what you want about GOYB as a song, but the video is pretty cool. I finally got to watch it in HD with surround sound on a flat screen...as I came home to find the article below in my Inbox. It's the first time I've ever been grateful that I have Comcast, and I am really glad that all the HD concerts and videos are free. They are streaming this on the net as well, and their doesn't look to be any blocks to download all this stuff.

Obviously, Comcast benefits from this, as does U2. Wonder what it will do for NLOTH sales? Or maybe catalogue sales, as this spans some 25+ years of their career. So what does everyone think? Is this a brilliant marketing move...to give Comcast HD subscribers free access to some 8 or 9 concerts and most, if not all, their music videos? You don't have to have HD to see it, either...just makes it better if you happen to have it, which I do. Article below...

Comcast Partners with Rock Band U2 to Offer an Exclusive and Unprecedented HD Collection of Music Performances on Demand
Nearly 50 of U2's Videos and Concerts Available Together for the First Time in HD

February 24, 2009 -- PHILADELPHIA, BUSINESS WIRE --

More than one week before the release of U2's highly-anticipated twelfth studio album, 'No Line On The Horizon,' on March 3, 2009, Comcast offers its customers free access to the brand new HD music video for the album's first single, 'Get On Your Boots,' along with nearly 50 of the band's other music videos and concerts On Demand. This HD collection has never before been available in one place and can be found On Demand under 'Top Picks,' under 'U2 HD.' Comcast (Nasdaq: CMCSA, CMCSK), the nation's leading provider of entertainment, information and communications, also has created a breakthrough television ad featuring the band performing the new single. Comcast.net is also presenting 20 of the band's videos, streaming in HD anytime at Music.

'Our customers watch 50-60 million music videos a month On Demand, or 20-25 videos per second every day, and they love U2 so this is our gift to them,' said Derek Harrar, Senior Vice President and General Manager of Video Services for Comcast. 'We make the best pop culture content available'it doesn't get any better than this.'

Comcast's signature On Demand service gives customers the chance to have an immersive U2 experience that allows them to watch the band's videos and concerts at anytime and as many times as they want. Music is one of the most popular categories of On Demand viewing and it continues to grow. Based on its popularity and usage by customers Comcast continues to expand its music offerings and provides everything from videos to live performances across a wide range of music genres.

Radio and Records U.S. Feb 27 edition - will match this week's Billboard on comparable airplay-only charts.

Alternative
TW LW
5 5

Active Rock
TW LW
29 30

Hot AC
TW LW
30 30 (still gaining airplay)

Mainstream Rock
TW LW
14 13

Triple A
TW LW
2 1

Canada - Rock National Airplay
TW LW
1 1 (Been at #1 since it's release 4-5 weeks ago & still gaining airplay)

There are a lot of other singles entered the UK chart lower than this from the first 3 albums!

Yeah I know. I meant singles released after wild horses was released.

I personally think a future single from the latest album may chart worse than 14, does everyone else?

Yeah I know. I meant singles released after wild horses was released.

I personally think a future single from the latest album may chart worse than 14, does everyone else?

You're comparing apples with oranges (excuse the cliche). The charts now are completely different to back then so there is no use in comparing.

Fact is, the record just isn't good enough. Most of us are liking it (myself included) because we're forcing ourselves too because it's U2. But aside from their hard core audience, I can't imagine many enjoy it.

No one has said to me they like the new U2 single. Far more people are talking about how they don't like it. Compare that to the overall response to Beautiful Day and Vertigo.

Shame really, becuase it's a great album and the critics are loving the album.

By "The Record" do you mean the album or Boots???

Boots sucks!!! But so did Vertigo.
No Line On The Horizon is far superior to HTDAAB!!!
And so fuckin what if the general public don't "get it" - after 12 years U2 actually went out on a limb and that's a great thing.

It's not like there lives depend on this record. What they don't make on sales they'll rake it in on the tour.

Some of the U.S. Radio and Record charts were not updated yesterday when I posted them...most are pretty close as the song basically holds steady on all formats, except it is still gaining airplay on "Hot Adult Contemporary" charts and has now cracked the Top 30, coming in at #29 this week with a bullet.

Far more interesting, though, IMHO, are the Triple A rankings. Not for Boots, which is at #2 on that chart for this week. Instead, below each chart, the service ranks songs for "most added stations" and "most increased plays", and NLOTH songs dominate these charts as follows:

TRIPLE A MOST ADDED © Issue Date: 02/27/2009 (From Radio & Records/Billboard/Nielson Soundscan)

4 U2 Magnificent (ISLAND/INTERSCOPE) CIDR, Sirius XM Spectrum, WXRT, WZGC

4 U2 I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight (ISLAND/INTERSCOPE) Sirius XM Spectrum, WRXP, WXRT, WZGC

4 DEPECHE MODE Wrong (MUTE/VIRGIN/CAPITOL) CIDR, KENZ, KSWD, WRXP

*Songs registering six or more plays at the most stations for the first time this week

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TRIPLE A MOST INCREASED PLAYS © Issue Date: 02/27/2009

+68 U2 Magnificent (ISLAND/INTERSCOPE) Sirius XM Spectrum +9 WZGC +8 WXRT +7 KSWD +6 KBCO +5 WRNR +5 WRXP +4 CIDR +4 WZEW +3 WMMM +3

+58 U2 I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight (ISLAND/INTERSCOPE) WZGC +10 WXRT +8 KSWD +5 WRXP +5 Sirius XM Spectrum +5 WRNR +4 KBCO +4 CIDR +3 KPRI +2 WZEW +2

+55 U2 Stand Up Comedy (ISLAND/INTERSCOPE) WZGC +9 KSWD +6 WXRT +6 Sirius XM Spectrum +5 WZEW +4 WRXP +4 WMMM +4 KBCO +3 WRNR +3 KPRI +2

+46 U2 No Line On The Horizon (ISLAND/INTERSCOPE) WZGC +9 WRNR +8 WXRT +6 WZEW +5 Sirius XM Spectrum +4 WMMM +3 CIDR +3 WRXP +2 KPRI +2 KXLY +2

Fire #35
two hearts beat as one #18
mysterious ways #13

even better than the real thing also #12

Plenty of U2 singles didnt debut at their peak. New Years Day debutted at 12 i think and then rose to #10

Back
Top Bottom