Get On Your Boots - chart watch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Boots is OUT of the top 10 in the UK

Looks like this single is definitely being a flop for them, first lead single in 26 years not to go top 10

The charts are now more reflective of a songs actual popularity. Many U2 songs of late have been getting away with murder to be honest by peaking high and then dropping out of the top 40 within 2 weeks.

Walk On being a big example: 5-27-Out. To the general public they see that Walk On was a number 5 hit, but in reality it was bough by a few hardcore fans in its first week to give the song a generous debut.

The charts have changed now and that wont happen anymore, and to be honest its for the better.

Having said that there are many songs since 2000 by U2 that would have done very well in todays format: Beautiful Day, Stuck, and Vertigo would all have hit number one in my opinion, and Elevation and Sometimes would have come close.

Walk On, Electrical Storm and Windows wouldnt have made the top 10 though, just like Boots probably wont!

How will this affect the album? is there ANY chance we could still see the single rise once released? i mean i have seen this happen a couple of times in the new chart format.

I doubt...
but when a new Oasis single doesn't top the charts in UK you know there's something wrong going on there.

Wow, if thats true then thats quite a drop from 2004.

Vertigo sold 50k to reach number one
Sometimes sold 30k to reach number one

Now ALL singles in the UK sell 20k combined? That cant be right can it?

I prefer the chart as it is now. Its boring and predictable for a song to peak high and then drop.

Physicals do

Digital sales are at over 2 million each week, with the number 2 regularly selling 70k +

Boots on Billboard's Pop 100

I have access to Billboard again. I'm not sure yet, but it looks like the online access is limited even for subscribers...forcing you to wait on the rag to see complete charts. Still, it's better than nothing, I guess. One unique chart they have started at Billboard is called the "Buzz 100", and it measures an artists popularity on the Web by compiling all hits, posts, streams, etc., and then ranks them 1-100. Not album or song specific. Anyway, U2 rises from 10 to 5 on this chart for the Feb 28 issue, and looks to be a lock for #1 in the coming weeks based on their momentum. Who says U2 can't reach #1 on the U.S. Billboard charts...:lol:

Anyway, the rest of the charts look like this:

Modern Rock
TW LW
5 5

Mainstream Rock (combines "Active Rock" and "Rock" from R&R)
TW LW
28 26

Adult Rock (AAA)
TW LW
1 1 4 weeks in a row at the top

HOT AC (Combines AC and Hot AC from R&R)
TW LW
34 40

U2 is charting on 7 total charts, but I will have to go back to this edition, Feb 28, after I get the magazine and can see everything in full, or until my online membership gets upgraded.

I posted this earlier today, never bothering to look on Billboard's Pop 100 chart since Boots was not on the Hot 100 Singles Chart. I was surprised to find that Boots is at #85 with a bullet. It has spent it's first 4 weeks on that chart, with a run of 40-81-91-85. If I remember correctly, Vertigo peaked at 30 on this chart. With downloads being a very small part of at least this week's rising chart position, Boots is actually gaining airplay on Pop/Mainstream radio in the U.S. It's also at #30 w/bullet on Hot Adult Radio Top 40. So...

Billboard Pop 100
TW LW
85 91

Billboard Hot Adult Top 40
TW LW
30 32

Billboard Canada Hot 100 Singles
TW LW
30 30 The song has been on this chart now for 4 weeks, with a run of 3-26-30-30, with a gain for this week over last. Debuted at #3 in Canada?!

Billboard Japan Hot 100 Singles
TW LW
13 15

Still at number 11 in the UK midweeks

Massive flop considering they played the Brits

kings of leon could be getting a number one single and album after their Brits performance, while U2 have dropped...the public does not like this song

Can we really say its a "massive flop" just yet?, i have been thinking, U2's singles normally chart highly, but then full very fast and out of the top 40 within a matter of 3 weeks, but with if this one lingers? stays in the top 40 for a few weeks? will that be classed as more succsefull than dropping right away?,

we all know the charts have changed quite abit since 2004, i just still for some unknown reason feel its a little premature to call it a flop,

Still at number 11 in the UK midweeks

Massive flop considering they played the Brits

kings of leon could be getting a number one single and album after their Brits performance, while U2 have dropped...the public does not like this song

Could you say massive flop just one more time please.

When I went to my town centre on Monday, I really had to look around for the single, I went to several different stores but only one had any. They had about a shelf of 30-40 copies. Obviously I bought mine and when i went back the following day, they were all gone, the shelf was completely clear. I started to think that maybe the single would do OK and that a great performance at The Brits would be enough to give it a good boost, shame it hasn't happened.

Promoting it was always going to be more problematic this time around though, especially with TOTP and CD:UK being no more. Perhaps I'm wrong but its all seemed a bit low key and below the radar, maybe their appearance on Jonathan Ross will do them some good.

n.1 in Ireland in the singles's chart!GOOD!

and you can remember that GOYB didn't enter in top 10 itunes in Ireland...
The phisycal single at €. 0.99 was a big idea.

i think u2 is yet a phisycal singles 's band...and this don't help in a download music world.

a question: what do you think about Magnificent like second single?

GOYB:
top 100 Euro Airplays: #35 (#66)
top 100 Euro Singles (digital + phisycal + airplays): #65 (#44) but next week it will increase (with the release in Ireland, uk, switzerland, deutschland ...)

I'm starting to agree that boots was a bad first choice single, maybe this is what the band wanted? who knows, with there being such strong material on the album

I'm starting to agree that boots was a bad first choice single, maybe this is what the band wanted? who knows, with there being such strong material on the album

Although I think GOYB is a great song, I would have released Stand up comedy as leading single. That MOFO rocks!!!!

It may have been genius to release it as a single because the concensus of opinion seems to be that the song makes more sense and doesn't come off as bad when heard in the context of the album so for what is possibly the weak link by having the negatives addressed with the song as a single the album then puts it in a more positive light whereas if they had released a more surefire hit then GOYB would not have had the benefit of that redeeming grace when the album came out. Does that make any sense?

Dana

It may have been genius to release it as a single because the concensus of opinion seems to be that the song makes more sense and doesn't come off as bad when heard in the context of the album so for what is possibly the weak link by having the negatives addressed with the song as a single the album then puts it in a more positive light whereas if they had released a more surefire hit then GOYB would not have had the benefit of that redeeming grace when the album came out. Does that make any sense?

Dana

I agree with you in that the song fits perfectly in the context of the album. The problem is that by the time the album is out there (I mean for the general public) it will be too late for GOYB.
I still feel that Stand up comedy is much more radio friendly than GOYB and it should be released as single eventually.
As for comparing the marketing strategy of GOYB with The fly back in 1991, I dunno. The song is nowhere near as good as The fly and times certainly have changed since 1991. U2 desperately need promotion now in order for a song or album to become a hit. That was not the case for AB in 1991. And still, as others have mentioned, it was the combined effect of MW and One which accounted for most of the incredible chart run the album had.

When I went to my town centre on Monday, I really had to look around for the single, I went to several different stores but only one had any. They had about a shelf of 30-40 copies. Obviously I bought mine and when i went back the following day, they were all gone, the shelf was completely clear.

My local store didn't even have the single for sale on the Monday, they said they should have it later in the week.:huh:

does anyone think that unknown caller would stand out like a sore thumb on radio in a good way?

In Australia Boots is not even in the top 100 on itunes and with the release of the cd single last week it has failed to re enter the top 50 on the aria charts after debuting at number 26 after the first few days of the download a few weeks ago. This is really unbelievable and the second single should be pushed now. Alot of promotion and no stuff ups with release dates must happen very soon. Boots has bombed all over the world, I feel Crazy 2nite might be that catchy radio friendly song U2 need right now. The video needs to be ready to go as well. A second failed single and I have grave concerns that not enough people will hear this brilliant album. Perhaps even releasing Magnificent in the US and Moment Of Surrender to the rest of the world followed by Crazy 2nite as the third single. Anything, just get the new single out there.

Although they gave the album a great review today, The Sunday Times is also running an article that Boots has stalled in the charts.

Most of the early TV promotion that the band is doing, and I'm guessing over the next few weeks will be doing, is aimed at promoting the single. However, if the single has already crested, that will be akin to the band spinning its wheels in the sand for no real return.

In these times, the first single is absolutely crucial. It secures the beachhead for the album among the general public. In this respect, it looks like the choice of Boots was a mistake.

yes i think its time to move on, forget boots and start the wheels turning on number 2 which i think should be magnificent, judging from opinions here and the airplay its getting anyway.

I love boots but i dont think it does the album justice and after hearing the album im beginning to question the logic of releasing it as a single AT ALL.

Magnificent sounds like classic u2 yes but with a 'killers' twist to it, the rhythm is awesome and I think it could eat up the charts. God knows this album needs it.

Just heard rumours that Boots only hit 14 in the UK...that's absolutely dreadful

Last time a single by U2 charted lower than that (excluding in God's Country) was two hearts beat as one...second single is needed now

Australia #51 (#99) and #3 in phisycal singles.
Uk airplays chart: #4 (chart run: 6 - 14 - 14 -13 - 4)

Just heard rumours that Boots only hit 14 in the UK...that's absolutely dreadful

Last time a single by U2 charted lower than that (excluding in God's Country) was two hearts beat as one...second single is needed now

Yes but you have to remember the UK charts have changed dramatically over the past 12 months! Even Oasis brand new single of their latest album failed to get into the top 5 basically you now need a massive radio friendly song to make the top 5 and then you normally don't get to no1 in the first week its now like the 80's where songs climb the charts!

Kings Of Leon Use Somebody will be No1 this week and this single was released on Nov 30th!!!!!

Yes but you have to remember the UK charts have changed dramatically over the past 12 months! Even Oasis brand new single of their latest album failed to get into the top 5 basically you now need a massive radio friendly song to make the top 5 and then you normally don't get to no1 in the first week its now like the 80's where songs climb the charts!

Kings Of Leon Use Somebody will be No1 this week and this single was released on Nov 30th!!!!!

Actually, Oasis managed to hit #3, cause, y'know... it's Oasis. But it fell quick. I wonder if with all the promotion, the new album, Boots will climb those charts... airplay is increasing right?

Actually, Oasis managed to hit #3, cause, y'know... it's Oasis. But it fell quick. I wonder if with all the promotion, the new album, Boots will climb those charts... airplay is increasing right?

Airplay in the UK dropped after the first week

Oh I didn't notice it'd gone up this week

#4 in airplay is brilliant, i thought the song was gonna be gone fast. GOYB currently #19 on iTunes, physical sales have hardly done a thing if #14 is the final single position. and at the begginin of the week KOL use somebody was only hovereing around the top 10 untill the Brits performance. physical sales hardly matter at all anymore, infact anyone over the age of 30 is probably not going to have an influence on the singles chart ever again.

#4 in airplay is brilliant, i thought the song was gonna be gone fast. GOYB currently #19 on iTunes, physical sales have hardly done a thing if #14 is the final single position. and at the begginin of the week KOL use somebody was only hovereing around the top 10 untill the Brits performance. physical sales hardly matter at all anymore, infact anyone over the age of 30 is probably not going to have an influence on the singles chart ever again.

Exactly! and while no14 is still dissapointing please don't compare it to the last few albums and their singles as the UK chart is totally different now! only bands who appeal to 15-25 age range will effect the UK singles chart

album chart though is a totally different kettle of fish! if U2 don't make the top 10 here then we have problems!

As i said its not perfect, but this could linger in the top 20, rather than just fall very quickly like U2 singles normally do.

Back
Top Bottom