Get On Your Boots - chart watch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For reference prodigys new one came in at number 8 and has now climbed, who is to say U2's wont?, hell whos to say after the brits this wont climb into the top 5?, i mean as irishteen said its climbing up 3 places every update.

Ive always said the Brits will give it the push. Thank fuck for the Brits is what i say.

Irishteen quick question, on itunes how do i go about viewing other charts rather than just UK?

Thanks in advance :)

Irishteen quick question, on itunes how do i go about viewing other charts rather than just UK?

Thanks in advance :)

Go to the itunes store

Go down to the bottom of the page, it should say United Kingdom

And hit the box and you'll get a drop down of all the stores (Not all sell music however)

Top ten on Irish itunes now :hyper:

MEDIABASE UPDATE AS OF FEB 15, 2009

HOT AC
TW LW
32 33 Increasing in plays

ALTERNATIVE
TW LW
5 4 Steady

ACTIVE ROCK (Hard)
TW LW
29 31 Steady

MAINSTREAM ROCK
TW LW
11 10 Slight decrease in plays

ADULT ROCK (Triple A)
TW LW Steady; moves back to #1
1 2

CANADA HOT AC
TW LW
39 39 Increasing plays

CANADA ROCK
TW LW
11 ?? Increasing plays; website not updating but TW available @ Radio.com

I always remember Paul M saying that if U2 can't break good on modern rock (alternative) than they are not relavent or something to that matter. Modern rock is def more of what the kids are into so to speak, so its good to see Boots getting spins on that format.

Boots isnt doing bad at all on radio. I feel the Itunes sales would be higher, but Boots never really got the promo. It was never on the front page of the new release section or anything. NLOTH had a preorder box, but the actual Boots single never got the big promo.

Every eligble lead single from Rattle and Hum onwards has reached UK #1...
The last U2 single outside the Top 5 was IGWSHA in 1998...
The last U2 single outside the Top 10 was IGWSHA in 1998...
The last U2 single outside the Top 20 was A Celebration in 1982...
Achtung Baby is the bands worst "singles album" since October/War

Number Ones: Desire, The Fly, Discotheque, Beautiful Day, Vertigo, SYCMIOYO (6)
Number Twos: HMTMKMKM, SIAMYCGOO, COBL, TSAC (4)
Number Threes: Pride, SATS, Sweetest Thing, Elevation (4)
Number fours: WOWY, WTSHNN, AIWIY, Stay, ABOY, WITS (6)
Number fives: Walk On, Electrical Storm (2)
Top Fives: 22
Top Tens: 32

UK Chart Performance:

Window in the Skies (4)
The Saints Are Coming (2)

All Because of You (4)
City of Blinding Lights (2)
Sometimes You Can't Make it On Your Own (1)
Vertigo (1)

Electrical Storm (5)

Walk On (5)
Elevation (3)
Stuck in A Moment You Can't Get Out of (2)
Beautiful Day (1)

Sweetest Thing (3)

If God Will Send His Angels (14)
Please (7)
Last Night on Earth (10)
Staring At The Sun (3)
Discotheque (1)

Miss Sarajevo (6)

Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me (2)

Stay (4)
Numb (n/a)

Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses (14)
Even Better Than The Real Thing (12)
One (7)
Mysterious Ways (13)
The Fly (1)

All I Want is You (4)
When Love Comes To TOwn (6)
Angel of Harlem (9)
Desire (1)

Where The Streets Have No Name (4)
I Still Haven't Found What I Am Looking For (6)
With or Without You (4)

The Unforgettable Fire (6)
Pride (3)

Sunday Bloody Sunday (7)
Two Hearts Beat As One (18)
New Year's Day (10)

A Celebration (47)
Gloria (55)
Fire (35)

But the market is different now, U2 are top of the physical chart but that's not enough, they're not crossing over to the download generation who control the charts now

But the market is different now, U2 are top of the physical chart but that's not enough, they're not crossing over to the download generation who control the charts now

Of course - I posted the results to show what GOYB has to live up to (and will likely fail to do so).

The real question is what is different in 2009 versus 2004/05/06. Is it existing fans not buying (knowing they will buy the album)? Is it failure to attract new fans?

If the former, why hasn't this been the case previously? Is it just that GOYB isn't the "right song"? How can that be when similar sounding(-ish) music does very well on the UK chart?

Is it that the same number of people are buying their singles, but many more singles are sold now than 2000/01/04/05/06?

Sales numbers for the chart and the singles would be required to answer this.

:hmm: Vertigo was huge in terms of downloading, it might be sell-out-y but GOYB should have had an iTunes ad. That and the promotion should have kicked in when the song was released to radio, the video should have been out right away.

It floundered a bit on initial release, but pushing it with the video online and the Grammy exposure is helping it stay on a bit, the album release will probably give it a bunch of radio play until the next single as well. If we get something huge like Magnificent as a single soon this album will probably be the first in a long time to not be frontloaded in terms of hit singles.

Right my last post here for tonight,

UK Upto #22
Ireland, keeps going between 12 and 10 for some reason?

My estimation for the brits, upto upto top 15 (maybe top 10)

I always remember Paul M saying that if U2 can't break good on modern rock (alternative) than they are not relavent or something to that matter. Modern rock is def more of what the kids are into so to speak, so its good to see Boots getting spins on that format.

Boots isnt doing bad at all on radio. I feel the Itunes sales would be higher, but Boots never really got the promo. It was never on the front page of the new release section or anything. NLOTH had a preorder box, but the actual Boots single never got the big promo.

so so so right on all fronts - but a mega perf tomorrow at the Brits might help rescue the (frankly poor) markeing approach to GOYB. that said the same for NLOTH seems to be really kicking in now Mike ps NLOTH2 is still way better than Boots and has to be the tour opener - the Let me In The Sound Tour of course Mike

Of course - I posted the results to show what GOYB has to live up to (and will likely fail to do so).

The real question is what is different in 2009 versus 2004/05/06. Is it existing fans not buying (knowing they will buy the album)? Is it failure to attract new fans?

If the former, why hasn't this been the case previously? Is it just that GOYB isn't the "right song"? How can that be when similar sounding(-ish) music does very well on the UK chart?

Is it that the same number of people are buying their singles, but many more singles are sold now than 2000/01/04/05/06?

Sales numbers for the chart and the singles would be required to answer this.

Well in 04, U2 had that big big push for Vertigo. With the Itunes ad and such, it hit right, and got alot of new fans. Its success let the other singles in 05 ride that wave, and obviously U2 were tapping into the younger market well with Bomb. 06 had 2 singles in the top 5 with Saints and WITS. I think Saints charted so high was that it had Green Day on it, who from 04-06, were beyond huge, not to mention a U2/GD duet no doubt had a "hmm sounds interesting vibe" among both fanbases.

What Boots hasnt had that alot of the previous singles had, is that big push. There was no itunes ad, no big itunes ad promoting it, and no big fanfare for the single. This time its the actual album as a whole getting the hype, and I've seen lots of reviews were Boots is just regarded as the first single, and than they go on to hype up MOS or UC. Personally I'm happy its doing well on radio, and I hope it does get some promo, but to see U2 even in the charts at all in 2009 is pretty damn amazing to me.

Billboard top 200 digital tracks:
184 U2 GET ON YOUR BOOTS 10164 36 7483 85992

1 week:57267
2 week:11078
3 week:7483
4 week:10164

very poor with a steady airplay....

Radio & Records Feb 20 edition (should match TW on U.S. Billboard):

ACTIVE ROCK
TW LW
30 29

MAINSTREAM ROCK
TW LW
14 13

ADULT ROCK/AAA
TW LW
1 1

HOT AC
TW LW
30 34

ALTERNATIVE
TW LW
5 5

Charts from Canada

ROCK
TW LW
1 1

HOT AC
TW LW
41 45

I for one am surprised the song has done as well as it has w/little promotion and "unusual sound" IMO.

Back
Top Bottom