Get On Your Boots - chart watch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
However, I used to sign off each of my posts as "Ciao, John". No, I'm not Italian, just thought it was a fun way to end my posts. As a result, I got to be known as "CiaoJohn". A new moniker was born! :up:

Yeah, I remember that too. Mind you I was a lurker during those days but I never missed any of your posts. And more recent in time, those discussions with that infamous J character were epic! :):)

Didn´t know the meaning of doctorwho until now though. I thought it had something to do with the fact you´re a doctor (Ph.D) yourself.

Ok, enough with the rant. Back to U2!

I have been gone for a long time, but GOYB and new album has me back. Maybe doctorwho remembers me, no? Anyway, mediabase was always one of my top sources to track airplay of U2 songs. I just visited the site for the first time in 4 years, and it's much improved. More importantly, I was very surprised to see how GOYB is doing on both the Active Charts and Alternative Charts in the U.S.

Active Rock: Up to #31 in it's 3rd week
Alternative Rock: Up to #4 from #7 in it's 3rd week

These charts were just released yesterday and include all spins from Feb 1 - Feb 8. The detail is much improved, too, as after showing the main charts, they show the playlists from all radio stations in each respective classification during the same time frame as the charts. Sorry if this has already been posted...I did not go back through this thread. I will check up on some other charts and post again later...but I'm pretty surprised that GOYB is even charting in the U.S., and the release of the video will only help.

beLIEve welcome back :applaud: its getting like the good old days in this part of the forum, and that can only mean one thing, the album is just around the corner :hyper:

I have been gone for a long time, but GOYB and new album has me back. Maybe doctorwho remembers me, no? Anyway, mediabase was always one of my top sources to track airplay of U2 songs. I just visited the site for the first time in 4 years, and it's much improved. More importantly, I was very surprised to see how GOYB is doing on both the Active Charts and Alternative Charts in the U.S.

Active Rock: Up to #31 in it's 3rd week
Alternative Rock: Up to #4 from #7 in it's 3rd week

These charts were just released yesterday and include all spins from Feb 1 - Feb 8. The detail is much improved, too, as after showing the main charts, they show the playlists from all radio stations in each respective classification during the same time frame as the charts. Sorry if this has already been posted...I did not go back through this thread. I will check up on some other charts and post again later...but I'm pretty surprised that GOYB is even charting in the U.S., and the release of the video will only help.

Welcome back, Believe!

Another source for U.S. charts is "Radio and Records", and this is the Neilson/soundscan source that ultimately ends up on Billboard for radio play only charts. This information is older than mediabase, as it's the Feb 6 edition, but it usually correlates well w/mediabase once you match up the time frames.

Active Rock: Up to #32 from #34 in it's 2nd week
Alternative Rock: Up to #6 from #8 in it's 2nd week; ranked #5 in "increased spins"
Hot AC: Up to #32 from #35; ranked #6 in "added stations"
Rock: At #15 from #14 in 2nd week; #1 in most "added stations"
Triple A: AT #1 FOR 2ND WEEK AFTER DEBUT AT #1 LAST WEEK!!!

Now, these are charts for the U.S., and being the Feb 6 edition, this is probably measuring airplay from about 2 weeks ago. This is soundscan airplay, and will eventually match Billboard radio only charts. The grammy performance and video can only help.

Also, this service tracks radio play in Canada:

Canadian Rock National Airplay, Feb 6 edition, soundscan:

GOYB is #1 for 2nd week in a row after #1 debut

Hot AC: GOYB up to #44 from 49 in 2nd week

Mainstream Top 40: GOYB not in Top 40, but ranked #5 for most "added stations" in it's 2nd week

Again, I'm sorry if this stuff has already been posted. Let me know if you want to see this info going forward. Thanks all.

I have been a lurker on this page for years in fact I remember when they first created Peeling off those Dollar Bills (seems like it was around ATYCLB).

Seeing all of these names really brings back memories. :sad:

I remember being so angry when U2 failed to reach number 1 with ATYCLB. And how happy I was to see it hang in on the charts forever and seem to have an endless number of rebounds. During this time I joined the Military and was gone to Boot Camp / Training for 6 months and when I started checking the charts I was shocked to see it still on the Billboard 200. I hope we see legs like this for NLOTH.

GOYB at #29 in top 100 rock songs Usa on itunes.
The videoclip of the song is avaliable now on itunes Us and it is at #1 in the category video rock.

Boots now at #7 in the top music videos on iTunes. #1 in top Rock music videos. :D

I should steal my mom's debit card and buy copies of Boots off of iTunes until the bank account is drained. Maybe that will help it on the charts?

There's a chance... I'm sure you would piss your mom, but there's a chance.

Do you know if Billboard will count also the downloads of the GOYB's videoclip with the song's download?

I have been a lurker on this page for years in fact I remember when they first created Peeling off those Dollar Bills (seems like it was around ATYCLB).

Seeing all of these names really brings back memories. :sad:

I remember being so angry when U2 failed to reach number 1 with ATYCLB. And how happy I was to see it hang in on the charts forever and seem to have an endless number of rebounds. During this time I joined the Military and was gone to Boot Camp / Training for 6 months and when I started checking the charts I was shocked to see it still on the Billboard 200. I hope we see legs like this for NLOTH.

Joel Tanner, aka Elvis (the creator/founder of Interference.com) and I talked about a forum just for charts. I came up with this name, based on, of course, a U2 lyric (in "Bullet..."). It just seemed appropriate for this forum.

I was the original moderator, but then due to other issues, left here for a while. Unhappily, there was a lot of petty things on Interference at the time.

Fortunately, that's all gone and the site is run by others. But some of the mods are still here (you couldn't pay me to be a mod now).

ATYCLB did have incredible chart legs. Sadly 9/11 did give the album a boost. People found comfort in a few things at that time, one being U2's music. "Stuck..." was released right around 9/11 and while it wasn't a huge hit (only peaking in the 50's on the Hot 100), it was a song about letting go and moving on - an idea the American people seemed to comprehend. We couldn't change what had happened, and we'll never forget, but we also had to move forward. As a result of that song, ATYCLB rose right back up the charts. Add the Super Bowl performance in early 2002 and ATYCLB saw another boost. Then the Grammies - and another boost. All those boosts allowed ATYCLB to sell over 4.2M copies in the U.S. and 12M worldwide. Big numbers given it was the illegal download era!

HTDAAB didn't have some of those boosts (and while I love to see U2's albums sell well, I'm very happy that there wasn't a reason like 9/11 for the album to linger extra long). But HTDAAB did last two Christmases on the charts, just as ATYCLB and AB did (in the SoundScan era). Bono's said that it's a goal to have the album in the charts (i.e., Billboard Top 100 albums) for two Christmases. And there's truth to that - because of the album lingers that long, that means it's been in the Top 200 albums all year (and possibly Top 100). That's quite an achievement - to have an album be one of the top selling new albums all year long.

Not sure how NLOTH will do. Given the chillier response to GOYB and based on the 30 second clips, I can actually see this being a better and more accessible album than "Pop" (yes, I went there! :wave: ) but not the type of album that crosses over and generates a big hit or two to stay in the public's mind. Those 30 second clips sounded great, but not exactly like something one would hear on the radio. U2 have almost always gone against the mainstream in sound, and this could work for them. Trouble is, in the past, they were young and people wanted to hear them. Age does play a role. Do people really want to hear a group nearing 50 play rock? Radiohead members aren't that young, but as Radiohead never really broke out the way U2 did, they can remain that "little group" in the background. But a group of U2's size may eventually suffer the Rolling Stone effect - an album may be brilliant, but people may only want to hear the "greatests hits".

I'm hoping though that there are a few great classics on NLOTH that radio stations do play and that join the upper echelons of U2's classics. Even if the album only goes 2x Platinum in the U.S., it would be great to know that some brilliant music is on that album.

For now, my prediction is a #1 opening and first week sales somewhere around the "Pop" - ATYCLB range (350 - 430K) in the U.S. I'll be happier if it's higher. I also predict the album to only reach 2x Platinum mark (U.S.). This, of course, could change if *something* happens (radio actually plays U2, there's another commercial or some sort of promotion). Based on ATYLB and HTDAAB, it seems a big push was given for the first song and that was about it. Given that GOYB hasn't received tons of love yet, maybe that big push will be for song #2 or #3, but if not, then I think the album will be bought by bigger fans and ignored by everyone else. Shame.

doctorwho, do you think that u2 will promote hardly the new album in Usa before the begin of the tour?
(because the album will release on March and in Usa the tour will be on autumn i think...)

GOYB out of top 100 digital tracks in Usa...and perhaps out of top 200 in the same chart...very bad...(because the airplay is not too bad...)

Actually GOYB sold almost 70.000 downloads...a (very) poor resoult...

IMO the single has done what it needed to do in the US, the album is still in the top 10 on amazon.com on pre-orders alone, imo thats quite amazing as its been there since the single came out,

GOYB out of top 100 digital tracks in Usa...and perhaps out of top 200 in the same chart...very bad...(because the airplay is not too bad...)

Actually GOYB sold almost 70.000 downloads...a (very) poor resoult...

It's climbing again though so there's still a chance it'll be a hit

Its great to see many of the same people on here as in the HTDAAB days (i also was around then with a different username (cant remember what)) though i dont have as much free time to check out the charts / post anymore.

I dont think theres much to say that hasnt already been said. but how about another publicity stunt to coincide with NLOTH release in the US, just like the 'secret' brooklyn bridge show with HTDAAB? this would give massive exposure and could increase 1st week sales by a (few) hundred thousand.

GOYB now on BBC Radio 2 'A-List'

18 singles down from #86-#94 in UK album chart.

does anyone have Uk airplay position for Boots?

6 - 14 - 14
the chart run of GOYB's airplay in Uk.

The single (phisycal and download) out on 15 february...and 18 february GOYB live at Brits Awards...

Is STING2 around still?

Yes he is, his nick in Strongbow now. I haven't seen him here much lately, but he's still around in the Free Your Mind forum.

All that WIRE talk made me a bit nostalgic about 'the old days'. You know, ignoring the fact that there were also plenty of flame wars then. :)

And I'm also slowly getting interested in the (Dutch) charts again. I'm starting to hear the song more often on the radio here. The Netherlands is still pretty U2-minded I guess...

but how about another publicity stunt to coincide with NLOTH release in the US, just like the 'secret' brooklyn bridge show with HTDAAB? this would give massive exposure and could increase 1st week sales by a (few) hundred thousand.

Perfect if it will happen around Feb 27-28 or March 1 :hmm:

Vox

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

U2.com | Official News

Five Nights with Letterman

The band will be guests on the Late Show with David Letterman on Monday March 2nd... and then again on the Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.

Coinciding with the worldwide release of No Line on the Horizon, it's the first time a musical guest has performed an entire week on the CBS late night broadcast.

Monday, March 2-Friday, March 6 (11:35 PM-12:37 AM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network

a good chance to promote NO line on the Horizion in Usa...

WEEK 3

Triple A #1

1-1-1

Hot Modern Rock Tracks #5

8-6-5

Active Rock #29

34-32-29

Hot AC #30

35-32-30

Rock #13

?-15-13

UK Airplay Chart #14