Garth Brooks goal: to overtake the marks set by U2 360 tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hawkmoon269

War Child
It has been said that when Garth Brooks would return to touring (he was in semi-retirement mode for around two decades), he would dominate concert sales from start to finish. Demand to see him is unbelievable.

He's playing at least 4 shows in every market, even doing two shows a day, and all tickets are no more than $70. I believe he had also sold 400,000 tickets for 5 shows in Croke Park in Dublin back in the summer, that ended up being canceled by the Dublin City Council.

I'm not a fan of his music (I loathe country music), but I've been monitoring his tour schedule and ticket sales. I'm surprised he's not doing stadiums, though. I think it's safe to say he will be the only artist who can top U2360°.

He'll probably achieve his goal. The US population has been awaiting his return since 2001 when he retired. Garth brought an arena rock showmanship to country music, which was very straight laced in the late 80s. He said the tour will last 3 years, so I imagine he'll get there.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Looking at the math and what he accomplished on his last big tour in the 90's (with over 5 million people paying to see him), it's certainly probable. Got to love all the methods that he and his crew are using to battle scalpers, mostly by having just enough shows to always meet demand without having too many empty seats over the last few nights.

Obviously, U2 is a bigger draw in most areas of the world and didn't even come close to satisfying demand for 360 given how quickly a lot of nights sold out. I'd expect their upcoming North American arena shows to sell out in five minutes flat. For example, two nights in Oakland's arena would mean playing to only about half the people (at most) that they played to in one night at Oakland's stadium. Therefore, demand for the arena shows will be at least double that of the stadium shows since there's only half as many tickets to go around (and even fewer given that many, many fans will buy tickets for both arena nights - shutting out even more of the casual audience). It's gonna be mayhem.

But outside the US Garth Brooks is not so populair..

Ireland he is huge but in Germany,France,Spain, Italy, etc... I'm not so sure.

It takes a special artist to cross over nationalities and I don't know if he is such an artist.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Looking at the math and what he accomplished on his last big tour in the 90's (with over 5 million people paying to see him), it's certainly probable. Got to love all the methods that he and his crew are using to battle scalpers, mostly by having just enough shows to always meet demand without having too many empty seats over the last few nights.

Obviously, U2 is a bigger draw in most areas of the world and didn't even come close to satisfying demand for 360 given how quickly a lot of nights sold out. I'd expect their upcoming North American arena shows to sell out in five minutes flat. For example, two nights in Oakland's arena would mean playing to only about half the people (at most) that they played to in one night at Oakland's stadium. Therefore, demand for the arena shows will be at least double that of the stadium shows since there's only half as many tickets to go around (and even fewer given that many, many fans will buy tickets for both arena nights - shutting out even more of the casual audience). It's gonna be mayhem.

in my opinion their wasting their own time and effort, when they could reach the same audience by playing say a third of the number of stadium shows, or another way of looking at it, a waste of money / unfair on fans who cant get tickets when they could reach 3 times the audience by just playing stadiums instead!

Does anyone think the new ACDC tour might break the gross?

Sent from my SM-T210 using U2 Interference mobile app

Does anyone think the new ACDC tour might break the gross?
Given that their last tour was their first tour in 7 years, and they were on the road for almost 2 years, I think they'll do something similar to their last tour ($441 million, 4.8 million tickets sold).

Let him give it a shot. He sold out 3 stadium shows at Croke Park in Northern Ireland in 30 minutes. I wouldn't put it past him to break the records of 360. Better then U2 competing against themselves, and The Rolling Stones all the time for top moneymaking tour.

Croke park is Dublin, Republic of Ireland......

Sent from my SM-T210 using U2 Interference mobile app

Garth Brooks can try to break U2's record, but it's true his popularity outside of about three countries is, shall we say, minimal at best.

I've compiled some stats on how many countries have been toured by a whole bunch of major artists. U2 do pretty poorly - 34. (Elton John has set the pace with 76.) However, they look like total globetrotters compared to Brooks, who comes in dead last having performed in just 10 countries in his entire career.

He'll definitely set the record for the largest North American tour in music history. International-wise, don't think so.

I just find the idea of the two shows a day hilarious.

Nothing says rock and roll like a matinee performance. :rockon:

For Garth Brooks the first week sales of his new album are brutal in the US. It will be interesting to see what the worldwide totals are.

Everyone's focus is on the tour, they can care less about his new album.

Yeah, at this point, he's kinda like the Stones of country music. Everyone wants to say they have seen his show live, and he still puts on a good show, but they could care less about any new music.

He's putting 3 January shows on sale here in Boston tomorrow, I don't think the sales of the album will have any affect on ticket sales.

Plus his ticket price is $66.50, he'll sell out those shows easily at that price point. Tickets on sale a month before Christmas, good marketing strategy.

I just find the idea of the two shows a day hilarious.

Nothing says rock and roll like a matinee performance. :rockon:

Just got an email from the TD garden that Brooks added 2 shows in Boston, Jan 23 and 24 both at 10:30pm.

He has shows already sold out for those nights at 7PM. The logistics of that are crazy, a show will end at what, 9:30, then they have to clear the building and refill it in an hour?

Just got an email from the TD garden that Brooks added 2 shows in Boston, Jan 23 and 24 both at 10:30pm.

He has shows already sold out for those nights at 7PM. The logistics of that are crazy, a show will end at what, 9:30, then they have to clear the building and refill it in an hour?

Just added a 6th Boston show...so far 6 shows over a 4 day stretch.

Back
Top Bottom