Garth Brooks goal: to overtake the marks set by U2 360 tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Garth's big tour is now at 310 shows.

Looks like U2's WW attendance record will be toast.

Of course, playing 500 shows over 5 years is not the same as playing only 110 over two years. Lets see Garth put up 360 numbers with just 110 shows. He won't do that because he can't. His only way is to launch a tour lasting almost a decade, more time that many famous artist were even active and calling it a single tour. There is also very little diversity in where Garth is playing. Nearly all the shows are in the United States. The vast majority of the demand for Garth is simply North America, and it appears there is very little interest or demand outside of that except for Ireland.

Of course, playing 500 shows over 5 years is not the same as playing only 110 over two years. Lets see Garth put up 360 numbers with just 110 shows. He won't do that because he can't. His only way is to launch a tour lasting almost a decade, more time that many famous artist were even active and calling it a single tour. There is also very little diversity in where Garth is playing. Nearly all the shows are in the United States. The vast majority of the demand for Garth is simply North America, and it appears there is very little interest or demand outside of that except for Ireland.

U2 toured over 3 calendar years including 3 summers with a couple 4-6 month long breaks. Not sure why that is allowed and a 48 month long tour is not. Plus Garth doesn't need to do return visits to cities within the same tour like U2 with half of the show changed.

Garth will have the most attended tour of all time and may beat U2 by some margin. That record is not invalidated because he opted not to travel around with $50,000,000 in scaffolding that was eventually sold for scrap. He will play 4 continents(Brazil 2015 and Australia wants him) by the time he's done, more that some of U2's "world tours".

Garth may even be able to sell 4 times as many tickets in U2's own hometown of Dublin.

I'm not a Garth fan and have zero interest in seeing him live, but it doesn't mean that I try to pretend his concert stats don't exist.

Last edited:
U2 toured over 3 calendar years including 3 summers with a couple 4-6 month long breaks. Not sure why that is allowed and a 48 month long tour is not. Plus Garth doesn't need to do return visits to cities within the same tour like U2 with half of the show changed.

Garth will have the most attended tour of all time and may beat U2 by some margin. That record is not invalidated because he opted not to travel around with $50,000,000 in scaffolding that was eventually sold for scrap. He will play 4 continents(Brazil 2015 and Australia wants him) by the time he's done, more that some of U2's "world tours".

Garth may even be able to sell 4 times as many tickets in U2's own hometown of Dublin.

I'm not a Garth fan and have zero interest in seeing him live, but it doesn't mean that I try to pretend his concert stats don't exist.

If U2 wanted to, they could announce a tour that is smaller in length than Garth's current tour that will beat it in less than half of the time for both attendance and gross.

But they are unlikely to ever do that because 1 to 2 years is the normal length of most tours in the industry. Time is precious, and U2 would prefer to write and record new music instead of doing an 8 year long tour for a single album. Its very telling that Garth is willing to spend so much of his time on the road just to top a single tour U2 did for their No Line On the Horizon Tour. Even if Garth eventually does top 360, I'd say most people won't respect it as the top tour for the multiple obvious reasons I have listed above.

If U2 wanted to, they could announce a tour that is smaller in length than Garth's current tour that will beat it in less than half of the time for both attendance and gross.

But they are unlikely to ever do that because 1 to 2 years is the normal length of most tours in the industry. Time is precious, and U2 would prefer to write and record new music instead of doing an 8 year long tour for a single album. Its very telling that Garth is willing to spend so much of his time on the road just to top a single tour U2 did for their No Line On the Horizon Tour. Even if Garth eventually does top 360, I'd say most people won't respect it as the top tour for the multiple obvious reasons I have listed above.

You mean like the scheduled LA6, LA7, LA8, Chicago 6 arena shows in 2015 that didn't happen because of the lack of demand? Plus Stockholm 4 was half empty since locals weren't interested.

U2 cannot do 300-400 arena shows in the US over a 4 year period, even with Bono in perfect shape/health. Garth is doing 19 arenas in prairie Canada, and there's probably 4-5 more in Calgary. Most U2 did was 3 stadiums in 1997 and 2 in 2011.

Eagles/Metallica/Cher/Roger Waters have tours that push 4 years that are acknowledged within the biz.

U2 aren't completely precious about the newest album if gigs near the end of 360 only had 3 songs from Horizon. I smirk at you defending u2's album integrity the same week of onsales for the JT30 nostalgia tour. BTW, Garth is only doing 2 songs a night from his newest disc.

U2 will keep their highest grossing tour record, perhaps forever, while Garth is on pace for most attended tour of all time.

You mean like the scheduled LA6, LA7, LA8, Chicago 6 arena shows in 2015 that didn't happen because of the lack of demand? Plus Stockholm 4 was half empty since locals weren't interested.

U2 are a band that consistently tours and releases new music. Garth Brooks is not. U2 have been playing Chicago and LA on average every 3 to 4 years for 35 years since 1981. It would be unusual for there not to be an occasional dip in demand with such touring. Garth by contrast is only on his 5th tour in his entire career which includes a 16 year break since the end of his 4th tour. U2 has a real worldwide audience, unlike Garth and is not overly dependent on one country for 90% of their business. So I'd say selectively cherry picking a couple of cities from one tour is irrelevant, and meaningless, especially with this comparison.

U2 cannot do 300-400 arena shows in the US over a 4 year period, even with Bono in perfect shape/health. Garth is doing 19 arenas in prairie Canada, and there's probably 4-5 more in Calgary. Most U2 did was 3 stadiums in 1997 and 2 in 2011.

There is a way U2 could do that, plus Garths numbers would not be what they are if this was not only his 5th tour and first tour in 16 years. Plus U2 does not have to rely on the United States and can utilize the world for a 100 shows per year if they so desired.

Wow, Prairie Canada, I forgot that alone defines who the big touring names in the business are. What are Garth Brooks career totals for France? Italy? Germany? Spain? Netherlands? Belgium? Poland? Russia? Turkey? Israel? South Africa? Croatia? Sweden? Brazil? Argentina? Chile? New Zealand? Australia? Japan? Mexico?

Eagles/Metallica/Cher/Roger Waters have tours that push 4 years that are acknowledged within the biz.

3 at most with Metallica and Roger, and still, its not the standard.

U2 aren't completely precious about the newest album if gigs near the end of 360 only had 3 songs from Horizon. I smirk at you defending u2's album integrity the same week of onsales for the JT30 nostalgia tour. BTW, Garth is only doing 2 songs a night from his newest disc.

Most 360 shows played a lot more than 3 songs from the album, plus most fans purchased tickets expecting a show supporting the album, like the Rose Bowl show. The tickets were purchased well in advance with fans expecting the normal setlist make up from the new album.

For the first time ever in U2's 40 year career, they decide to do a selection of shows celebrating the Joshua Tree, yes a bit of Nostalgia. But are they milking it? Nope. They could ride a full scale Joshua Tree tour to numbers no one in the industry has ever seen before but their not.

U2 has a broad number of options for touring if breaking tour records were the only desire. Garth Brooks path to any sort of global record is far more narrow.

U2 will keep their highest grossing tour record, perhaps forever, while Garth is on pace for most attended tour of all time.

Again, the only way Garth is getting any sort of record is by grossly extending the tour far beyond anything that would be considered normal. What your missing is that other artist, if they so desired, could extend their tours beyond normal lengths as well. U2 could do that and they have far more places they can choose to play around the world than Garth does.

U2 are a band that consistently tours and releases new music. Garth Brooks is not.

Garth by contrast is only on his 5th tour in his entire career which includes a 16 year break since the end of his 4th tour.

U2 has a real worldwide audience, unlike Garth and is not overly dependent on one country for 90% of their business.

Again, the only way Garth is getting any sort of record is by grossly extending the tour far beyond anything that would be considered normal.

Garth released 116 new recordings on 7 releases from 2001-2016. Counting only songs he released for the first time. There was a 4 year break and another 6 year break. Yes, a many were filler covers. Starting with ATYCLB U2 put out roughly 50 songs.

Garth may not have done major tours in 16 years between 1998 and 2014, but 2009-2014 had 186 dates in Vegas, Kansas City got 9 Arena shows in 2007 and LA got 5 nights at Staples Center in 2008.

U2 is allowed to do a 70% US tour in 1987, 62% US tour in 2001 or 56% US tour in 2017, but Garth doing 90% US tour is "cheating"? No Canadian Dates counted.

U2 can "inflate" their stadium numbers in "non-normal" ways like rare stage stadium seating, touring over 3 summers, having 15-20% tickets dirt cheap - but Garth doing a 36 month arena tour is "cheating"?

Last edited:
Garth released 116 new recordings on 7 releases from 2001-2016. Counting only songs he released for the first time. There was a 4 year break and another 6 year break. Yes, a many were filler covers. Starting with ATYCLB U2 put out roughly 50 songs.

Filler cover songs, or songs Garth did not write don't count. U2 wrote, recorded, and released 68 new songs from 2000 through 2014. Thats nearly enough for a brand new, written, recorded album of new original songs every other year throughout the time period.

Garth may not have done major tours in 16 years between 1998 and 2014, but 2009-2014 had 186 dates in Vegas, Kansas City got 9 Arena shows in 2007 and LA got 5 nights at Staples Center in 2008.

I'm well aware of that and its totally and completely irrelevant as the overwhelming majority of markets Garth is visiting now have not seen Garth in over 16 years, some as much as 20 years or more.

U2 is allowed to do a 70% US tour in 1987, 62% US tour in 2001 or 56% US tour in 2017, but Garth doing 90% US tour is "cheating"? No Canadian Dates counted.

1/3 of the entire music business comes from the United States, with 2/3's outside the United States. Roughly 1/3 of U2's overall business comes from the United States while 2/3's of it is outside the United States. Garths numbers are at least 90% in the United States and 10% outside the United States.
Should we do a comparison/contrast of U2's business outside the United States vs Garth's outside the United States? I don't think there is another major artist out there that would do so poorly in such a comparison with U2 than Garth.

U2 can "inflate" their stadium numbers in "non-normal" ways like rare stage stadium seating, touring over 3 summers, having 15-20% tickets dirt cheap - but Garth doing a 36 month arena tour is "cheating"?

U2 did the rear stage stadium seating because the demand was there to do it, and it fit the style of the arena tours they had always done. They wanted to bring that arena experience into the stadium. But if they were actually trying to maximize attendance over the entire tour, a normal stage set up would have yielded a higher attendance because it would have allowed the band to put on more shows. Limiting capacity to 45,000 or 50,000 per night would have resulted in two shows in many cities where only one was performed. For example, U2 could have done two 45,000-50,000 capacity shows in Dallas on 360 instead of just the single 71,000 capacity show. The extra tickets sold come from people not being able to go to the show on the first scheduled date for whatever reason, plus fans that want to see the show both nights. You actually inflate your tour numbers when you play to a smaller capacity crowd each night and play more shows over a certain period rather than playing one massive show on a single night. The advantage is with the artist that plays smaller capacities per night, but more shows. So by playing so many massive single shows on 360 actually reduced the level of attendance they would have received if they had played smaller capacity shows with more shows added. So the style of 360 ironically had a deflating effect on total tour attendance rather than one that inflated numbers.

Last edited:

I couldn't put my finger on it but now I got you.....Moggio!,,,

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

I can't be certain but I hope this is Maoilbheannacht.....I always applauded your knowledge of touring and rational counters to Moggios absurd explanations for why he was always wrong (Maddona would out gross U2 360 is my personal favorite)

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

Not sure about this. Based on the year end totals from Pollstar, he was at 4,004,671 tickets sold at the end of 2016 from 273 shows played. Gross was at $262.9 million. There are only 40 shows played or scheduled to be played so far in 2017 and at an average of nearly 15,000 per show that only brings in 600,000 more tickets at best. So he is at this time 400,000 tickets short of 5 million based on the evidence presented so far. The Croke Park shows in Ireland don't count because they were cancelled.

Not sure about this. Based on the year end totals from Pollstar, he was at 4,004,671 tickets sold at the end of 2016 from 273 shows played. Gross was at $262.9 million. There are only 40 shows played or scheduled to be played so far in 2017 and at an average of nearly 15,000 per show that only brings in 600,000 more tickets at best. So he is at this time 400,000 tickets short of 5 million based on the evidence presented so far. The Croke Park shows in Ireland don't count because they were cancelled.

I think the PollStar "year end" numbers are counted October to October so that can be printed in December. There's about 20 shows missing from your figures.

273 you cited, 40 shows in 2017, plus the 18 or so missing 2016 shows get to the 330 shows in the tour so far. There is a missing Brazil show but I can't find info other than a press release and some evidence it actually happened.

More than 95% of that "tickets sold" 5 million number can be accounted.

He's also announced 2 shows in 2018 at the Houston Rodeo. At least 70k each.

If we agree this a single tour, Garth may break the U2 record with tickets sold by Christmas.

I think the PollStar "year end" numbers are counted October to October so that can be printed in December. There's about 20 shows missing from your figures.

273 you cited, 40 shows in 2017, plus the 18 or so missing 2016 shows get to the 330 shows in the tour so far. There is a missing Brazil show but I can't find info other than a press release and some evidence it actually happened.

If we agree this a single tour, Garth may break the U2 record with tickets sold by Christmas.

coming in a little late on this, but am i missing something?
Call me crazy, but i'm not seeing how he even comes close to breaking U2's record. 330 shows at 15k or so a piece bring him to just under 5 million. Add in the missing shows/houston shows and you're at 5.2??

I would also assume we are talking about how much the tour as a whole has sold to this point. So i'm not sure why October to October dates mean anything...

I also am not seeing anything for Garth past April 2017? Do you have a link to more dates after that? And how many years is he planning on going? In two years he hit 5 million, so another year and a half? It's all very strange.

PollStar has the 2 Houston shows in 2018. They are calling it a single tour and we can agree he has passed the 5 mil ticket mark by now.

He recently announced a couple shows as "final shows for Missouri and Kansas" for those wondering how far he will take this. Ireland/Austalia still need to be hit as well as many major US markets he has not visited yet.

U2's gross record should stay untouched.

I've looked for those 18 shows but can't find them at all. The shows that I counted up individually matched up with the counts for pollstar. Also, its Billboard that does a November to November year. Pollstar totals go by the normal Calendar year.

The 5 Croke Park shows that were cancelled each had 80,000 tickets sold which comes out to 400,000. They did sell all those tickets, but the shows being cancelled meant they were all returned. I think they are counting those shows to get to 5 million even though they were later cancelled.

I think they will be at 5.5 million at the end of the year with 2017 adding 1.5 million to the 4 million total from 2014-2016. I don't think they will touch the attendance record until sometime in 2018 or maybe even into 2019.

As for the Gross, since Garth only averages $1 million per show, he'll need to do at least 740 shows to break the nominal gross record. Adjusted for inflation, he'll probably have to play 800 shows.

coming in a little late on this, but am i missing something?
Call me crazy, but i'm not seeing how he even comes close to breaking U2's record. 330 shows at 15k or so a piece bring him to just under 5 million. Add in the missing shows/houston shows and you're at 5.2??

I would also assume we are talking about how much the tour as a whole has sold to this point. So i'm not sure why October to October dates mean anything...

I also am not seeing anything for Garth past April 2017? Do you have a link to more dates after that? And how many years is he planning on going? In two years he hit 5 million, so another year and a half? It's all very strange.

Actually were only about 4 months away from the 3 year anniversary of the start of this current Garth Brooks tour.

anyone who thinks that U2 sold that many tickets on 360 because there were just so many fans jonesing to hear some No Line songs is out of their mind.

Why do you think they sold so many tickets on 360, but had very notable declines in several markets on the Innocence And Experience Tour compared with 360?

Why do you think they sold so many tickets on 360, but had very notable declines in several markets on the Innocence And Experience Tour compared with 360?
Mostly oversaturation from the massiveness of the 360 tour and, to a lesser extent, the negativity surrounding the Apple release.

No Line was not a commercial success. The tour, on the other hand, was huge. More people saw the tour than bought the album, by a large margin. U2 was still riding high from the early 2000s, had a spectacular stage set and production, and had a larger than usual number of lower priced tickets thanks to the use of the full stadium. If you ever had the thought to say "hey, let me check out U2," 360 was the perfect tour to do that. Quite literally they tapped out the casual fan demo in many markets.

Innocence and Experience did very well in some markets, but struggled in others. It's not a surprise that demand would be less after 360. Why do you think they went back to arenas to begin with? U2 understands supply and demand as well as anyone.

Last edited:
Mostly oversaturation from the massiveness of the 360 tour and, to a lesser extent, the negativity surrounding the Apple release.

No Line was not a commercial success. The tour, on the other hand, was huge. More people saw the tour than bought the album, by a large margin. U2 was still riding high from the early 2000s, had a spectacular stage set and production, and had a larger than usual number of lower priced tickets thanks to the use of the full stadium. If you ever had the thought to say "hey, let me check out U2," 360 was the perfect tour to do that. Quite literally they tapped out the casual fan demo in many markets.

Innocence and Experience did very well in some markets, but struggled in others. It's not a surprise that demand would be less after 360. Why do you think they went back to arenas to begin with? U2 understands supply and demand as well as anyone.

So what albums do you think were a commercial success in 2009?

I think U2 understands it more after all these years, but when looking at POPMART, you can see the band and management got it wrong when it came to what they expected demand to be.
The band is clearly more careful these days because of what happened in 1997. They started in arenas on ZOO TV despite having come off the massive success of Joshua Tree. When the arena sales indicated they could do stadiums, they moved to the stadiums. That appears to be what they did this time out, but the ticket sales info indicates they should remain in arenas for the rest of the Innocence And Experience Tour. The Joshua Tree Tour 2017 is a small one off nostalgia tour/selection of shows and naturally has built in demand that a new album/tour might not have.

So what albums do you think were a commercial success in 2009?

No Line was 7th world wide and didn't crack the top ten in the United States.

Sales of the album stalled midway through 2009. By October, just over one million copies had been sold in the US, the group's lowest in more than a decade. Through March 2014, the album's lifetime sales in the country totaled 1.1 million copies. In the UK, the record sold less than a third of How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb's figures, and a quarter of All That You Can't Leave Behind's. Global sales of No Line on the Horizon remained at five million copies through September 2010.

Why is this even a question? First off you don't sell out full stadiums based on one album. You sell it off a body of work. The band was still coming off the high of the ATYCLB / HTDAAB rebound, and it was a perfect time to capitalize. They had cemented themselves as immortals and hadn't done anything stupid to hurt their legacy like on Pop and most recently with Songs of Innocence.

Why was there a drop off for I/e in some markets? U2 Fatigue. Casual fans don't need to see a band on every tour, and EVERY casual fan saw 360.

I've looked for those 18 shows but can't find them at all. The shows that I counted up individually matched up with the counts for pollstar. Also, its Billboard that does a November to November year. Pollstar totals go by the normal Calendar year.

The 5 Croke Park shows that were cancelled each had 80,000 tickets sold which comes out to 400,000. They did sell all those tickets, but the shows being cancelled meant they were all returned. I think they are counting those shows to get to 5 million even though they were later cancelled.

I think they will be at 5.5 million at the end of the year with 2017 adding 1.5 million to the 4 million total from 2014-2016. I don't think they will touch the attendance record until sometime in 2018 or maybe even into 2019.

As for the Gross, since Garth only averages $1 million per show, he'll need to do at least 740 shows to break the nominal gross record. Adjusted for inflation, he'll probably have to play 800 shows.

330 shows currently booked through May 2017 on the wiki page, minus the 40 shows in 2017 = 290 shows.

The PollStar number you cited in 273. 17 missing shows plus the Brazil one off that may or may not have been a charity gig.

I think he can break the attendance record in the second half of 2018.

No one seems to think he's seriously going after the gross record.

No Line was 7th world wide and didn't crack the top ten in the United States.

Why is this even a question? First off you don't sell out full stadiums based on one album. You sell it off a body of work. The band was still coming off the high of the ATYCLB / HTDAAB rebound, and it was a perfect time to capitalize. They had cemented themselves as immortals and hadn't done anything stupid to hurt their legacy like on Pop and most recently with Songs of Innocence.

Why was there a drop off for I/e in some markets? U2 Fatigue. Casual fans don't need to see a band on every tour, and EVERY casual fan saw 360.

But my question was which albums do you think were commercial success's in 2009?

If it was a body of work that would allow U2 to sellout stadiums, every tour would have been in stadium since Joshua Tree with every stadium soldout.

If POP has sold like Achtung Baby, Joshua Tree, ATYCLB or HTDAAB, the Popmart tour would have been soldout. But it failed relative to those albums which is why attendance was down by as much as 50% in some areas from the previous tour. The key factor in that was not U2's body of work. It was the latest album they were touring for, POP!

U2 had already long been legends and immortals by the late 1990s hence why they were given the Legends treatment by VH1 instead of just "Behind The Music".

ATYCLB and HTDAAB were huge in rebuilding things after POP, but NLOTH also played a role as well. Its raw sales are lower than the previous two albums largely because of the decline of the music industry since the years 2000 and 2004. Still not as strong as the previous two, but not as weak as the raw sales figures would suggest given that 2009 was a very different market environment from 2000 or 2004. Millions of people by 2009 were skipping buying albums and obtaining the music for free which hurt all artist sales.

Artist fans don't experience tour fatigue when the artist only tours every 4 or 5 years. Tour fatigue is what you see with artist who tour every year or every other year to the same places. I'd say the huge drop off in demand and attendance for the innocence and experience tour is the failure of that album to appeal to more casual fans, and the general public. None of the songs were able to catch any real fire on any format. Only 100,000 people purchased the album in the United States. Sure it was free to download, but U2 has more hardcore fans than that who enjoy physical product. Bono was worried about the fact that there is "a lot of noise out there and its difficult to get noticed". This seems to be the case more and more as each year goes by.

The Joshua Tree Tour 2017 is doing great because it is a nostalgia tour that is playing a limited number of shows primarily in big markets. U2 will be back in arenas when the innocence and experience tour resumes after Songs Of Experience is released at the end of this year.

Garth's tour just hit 180 announced show with only a handful of dates in 2016. He should be past 200 announced shows very soon.

700 shows to match 360 WW gross
450 shows to match 360 WW attendance
285 shows to match 360 NA gross
203 shows to match 360 NA attendance
190 shows to match 360 US gross
132 shows to match 360 US attendance

Garth should crack the 360 WW attendance with announcing about 20 more cities, which he could announce. All he has to do is show up.

Ignore the face above. I don't know how or why that is there.

Garth should crack the 360 WW attendance with announcing about 20 more cities, which he could announce. All he has to do is show up.

Well based on the latest figures, Garth has to go a bit further than that to achieve that feat.

The Garth Brooks Tour with Trisha Yearwood
2014-2017
SHOWS: 333
ATTENDANCE: 4,743,727
GROSS: $310,900,000

So given that, another 20 cities, which might be about 100 shows if his current average of 5 shows per city continues, would get him to 6,210,627. Garth would need another 75 shows after that to hit 7.3 million. So that's 508 shows and about 5 years of touring to break an attendance record that was set with only 110 shows and 2 years of touring.

Plus after 508 shows and 5 years of touring, his gross will only be $475 million. He would need 8 years and 800 shows roughly to break the gross which is just ridiculous. 8 years is not a tour, 8 years is more like a career in the music industry.

Last edited:

Now we have multiple Joshua Tree 2017 shows failing to match what U2 did on 360. Just goes to show that the album NLOTH had far more impact than you think it did. NLOTH sales were artificially lower than the previous albums because of changes in the way people obtain their music.

Texas had not seen U2 in 8 years, yet the Dallas show had 20,000 attendance lower than the 360 show in 2009. You can fit 62,000 in the stadium in Dallas in a typical 270 configuration, but U2's attendance was 49,000. Attendance on 360 was 70,000.

Now we have multiple Joshua Tree 2017 shows failing to match what U2 did on 360. Just goes to show that the album NLOTH had far more impact than you think it did. NLOTH sales were artificially lower than the previous albums because of changes in the way people obtain their music.

Texas had not seen U2 in 8 years, yet the Dallas show had 20,000 attendance lower than the 360 show in 2009. You can fit 62,000 in the stadium in Dallas in a typical 270 configuration, but U2's attendance was 49,000. Attendance on 360 was 70,000.
There isn't a snowball's chance in hell the JT30 configuration is only 8k less than 360.

Back
Top Bottom