Garth Brooks goal: to overtake the marks set by U2 360 tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2 have worked with many country artists in the past - and likely continue to listen to country music. Unlike some of the trolls here on Interference U2 as a band listens to all forms of music. A good song is a good song and its all perspective.

U2s current ticket pricing is out of touch and nobody is going to convince me otherwise. The ones that can afford to go to this tour in 2018 will have their ass firmly planted to the seat, a low energy crowd - especially in the US.

Certainly not the "punk rock" crowd that U2 made their name off of.

How the hell is this any different to what U2 - and many other bands - have done in the past? Heaps of artists previously have just announced a couple of shows in the city and then ended up with a pretty decent run. Hell, look at Pink in Australia. Or John Farnham before her!

PS I doubt anybody in Australia, with the exception of the residents of Tamworth, has even the faintest clue who this guy is. I'd be surprised if he can play even a small arena in Melbourne, let alone Rod Laver (which, if U2 do an arena tour of Australia, is where they would play). I only know about him because people on Interference have mentioned him in relation to breaking U2's record from 360.

Garth would only announce 1-3 cities at a time. Fans would travel to a nearby city and wouldn't have any idea if he's coming closer 6 months later, then 12 months later, then 18 months later, then 24 months later....

Garth did 8 arena shows in 5 Australian cities in 1994. 2 in Brisbane/Newcastle/Sydney and single shows in Perth/Adelaide.

Melbourne is still recovering from being so cruelly omitted

I so badly want to see individual box scores from each city Garth played.

IMO, the guy wasted a lot of time playing arenas. He could’ve done stadiums and covered the entire US/Canada in 1 year, even with his high demand.

He did 6 shows in Columbus, at the Schott, OSU’s 19,000 capacity arena. I went to 2 of them. The first one I bought tickets for, and then the 2nd was just a freebie a company I do business with gave me at the last minute. At both shows, the seats in the upper level behind the stage were empty. U2 had the same situation at a few shows this year. So even though the guy is very popular, it’s not like the tour was 100% sold out. He just played enough shows to ensure demand was met, with ALL tickets priced at $70.

It should be known that Garth Brooks is the only country artist I ever have seen, and the only one I ever will see. I am not a country fan, but Garth Brooks’ show is more like a Rock show.

Last edited:
IMO, the guy wasted a lot of time playing arenas. He could’ve done stadiums and covered the entire US/Canada in 1 year, even with his high demand.

He could only play 5-6 months a year, unless Australia somehow comes thru.

His touring method still allows him to perform to theoretically 40,000 people in a single day at the bigger arenas. Selling multiple shows to individual fans clearly seems to be part of his business model. Plus adding shows according to demands takes some guesswork out of tour routing that needs to be done a year in advance with stadium tours.

U2 have worked with many country artists in the past - and likely continue to listen to country music. Unlike some of the trolls here on Interference U2 as a band listens to all forms of music. A good song is a good song and its all perspective.

U2s current ticket pricing is out of touch and nobody is going to convince me otherwise. The ones that can afford to go to this tour in 2018 will have their ass firmly planted to the seat, a low energy crowd - especially in the US.

Certainly not the "punk rock" crowd that U2 made their name off of.

I can afford to go - and went to two shows. While I admit to sitting a token time or two, for the most part everyone around me, including me, were on our feet cheering and "dancing" to the songs. So it was hardly a low energy crowd sitting and playing on their phones the whole time.

I was lucky enough to be relocated from the $100 section to the $300 section at the most recent Chicago show. I can’t believe I got that lucky! But everybody in my section was on their feet the entire time, except the Best Thing/SATS acoustic set, which I also sat for. Everybody around me was excited for Acrobat, and seemed to know the words to the new songs.

Ed Sheeran isn’t far off beating 360 now. Think he is something like 120 million off, he has now grossed 605 million with one European leg left.

He will probably beat it probably not by much though.

Abit unfair to compare the two though seeing as he will have played 260 gigs compared to U2’s what was it 110?

Back
Top Bottom