Garth Brooks goal: to overtake the marks set by U2 360 tour - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Peeling off those Dollar Bills
Click Here to Login

Old 11-21-2014, 02:42 PM   #31
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 08:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainmaniac View Post
Who is this guy?
US country music superstar, been out of the limelight for a long time. But when he was huge, he was huge. Was it the '90s? I don't even remember.

Old 11-21-2014, 02:47 PM   #32
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 04:34 PM
His first album was in 89 and his last was 2001 (until now). In that time he was untouchable. He transcended country music, everyone in the US liked Garth Brooks.

My friend saw Garth in Lexington a few weeks ago, at the 10:30 show, after another show that began at 7. He said it was an absolute clusterfuck, the entire crowd had to wait outside until the previous crowd left. The parking was a nightmare. Imagine standard concert traffic, but with thousands of people trying to leave, and thousands trying to get in.

He also said it was the best concert he'd ever seen, with more energy than any rock show he's been to, including U2.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Old 11-21-2014, 02:48 PM   #33
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_acrobat View Post
everyone in the US liked Garth Brooks.
Let's not get carried away here.
Old 11-21-2014, 02:48 PM   #34
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_acrobat View Post
, everyone in the US liked Garth Brooks.
Not everyone.
Old 11-21-2014, 03:04 PM   #35
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewson View Post
Just added a 6th Boston show...so far 6 shows over a 4 day stretch.
just seems greedy to be doing this. hard to see how any artist can deliver a 100% effort when their doing two shows a day, and hes not exactly a youngster either.
Old 11-23-2014, 12:26 AM   #36
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewson View Post
Not everyone.
sorry, That was a poor use of a figure of speech. Not EVERYONE in the entire US of A liked Garth Brooks, but he was HUGE at the time. He was known for his energetic live shows, which was not something country was known for. He's now a "heritage act", where most of the audiences will just show up for the hits they've been waiting all these years to hear, and he won't dare do more than 2 or 3 new songs per night.
Old 11-23-2014, 12:27 PM   #37
Blue Crack Distributor

But will he play any Chris Gaines songs???
Old 12-05-2014, 01:50 PM   #38
The Fly

2 shows in 1 night in an arena was common thru the 1970's but I can't even imagine that working now, when traffic is so bad that you have leave hours early just to get into any concert on time, even a few miles away. "Even With" shows with early start times and no opening acts take the stage to houses that are still a third empty.

That said he can keep touring until he surpasses the gross. He can always do victory laps and return to the same places after a few years.
Old 12-05-2014, 02:01 PM   #39
War Child

I dislike country music too, but I'd gladly go see a Garth Brooks concert!
Old 12-05-2014, 02:05 PM   #40
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
But will he play any Chris Gaines songs???
I was planning on making a shirt with his face on it to wear to a Brooks concert.
Old 12-19-2014, 04:23 PM   #41
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
just seems greedy to be doing this. hard to see how any artist can deliver a 100% effort when their doing two shows a day, and hes not exactly a youngster either.
I think Broadway shows and stuff like Disney on Ice do 2 shows a night. Sometimes in arena sized venues(for the person who brought up the parking issue).

Some Vegas stuff or something like Copperfield might also do 2 shows a night.

What makes me wonder is how his voice holds up singing 12 hours in a 80 stretch and repeating that in 80 cities over a 3 year period. At any age.

BTW, Bono did a University speech and a show back in 2001. The Live 8 thing the same day as another stadium show in another country. U2 also did some crazy transatlantic flights on the Popmart tour to do MTV awards.
Old 12-19-2014, 05:54 PM   #42
Blue Crack Addict

I'd like to know where Garth Brooks was that fateful day of the bicycle accident
Old 01-05-2015, 03:23 AM   #43
Refugee

Never seen Garth. But tell me he's as good as '80's-era Springsteen live, and I might consider going to see him. Is the audience participation the same as at a Bruce or U2 show?

I hate country, or at least most country made after 1990. The reason? Sick of it. My grandma used to be the Origonal Rockin' Grandma (saw Elvis in Vegas and everything) but sometime around '92 she found the Country Music Channel on TV and switched to that. Might have been Garth, I really don't know. Don't recall her going on about him. But anywhere around her, country on the radio and her TV, 24/8, for the last 17 yrs of her life. And there was no changing the channel. She'd talk about it for hours on end, and dramatically dis all my favorite acts--and many of her former favorites--in the most dramatic terms. Even though I loved my grandma, of course, at these times I wanted to smack her. You try telling me that Billy Ray Cyrus was better then Nirvana or REM? Do you see where I'm coming from? If she was senile, I could have humored her, but she was still sharp as a tack. As a result, my attitude on country after around '92 was: "Larry can have it."

I remember one golden time I brought my boombox in and started playing Nine Inch Nails (You know, "I want to ---you like an animal/I want to feel you from the inside..." etc. Her reaction was priceless.) I felt bad a little, b/c I remember she had Emmylou Harris on, and I still love Emmylou Harris. But I wanted to stick it to her that day. Mission accomplished, in spades.

Then too-when I did like country, I always liked the old stuff, that was rough around the edges. Willie Nelson, Credence (country in my book), Johnny Cash etc. That was my personal preference.

So what things does Garth Brooks like to sing about? What's his worldview (if you can shorten this as much as possible.)

And that tour schedule is *incredible*. Do you really think anybody can keep that up nonstop like that, for 3 years, 2 times a day? It's like he's going to be a traveling circus monkey. Surreal. He might be in great shape for his age (?) but after a certain point I just don't see how he can keep it up. Did his last tour have a schedule like this? He may be a "heritage act" but he's not being treated like one! I'd love a link to an interview where he discuses how much he'd love to tour like this, and why he came out of retirement.
What's with the Chris Gaines ref? And why were the Dublin shows cancelled? Sorry, just stuff I want to know.

Ha. Just thought of something. Did Live Nation buy his management company too? Is this, along with high U2 prices, another way to bring them back in the black? I wouldn't be surprised.
Old 01-05-2015, 03:41 PM   #44
Blue Crack Distributor

I think this is one of those situations where Google should be your friend.
Old 01-05-2015, 10:49 PM   #45
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
I think this is one of those situations where Google should be your friend.
Google answers a lot but he yanks lots of stuff from youtube and I don't know of a site that lists all his shows on this tour including early/late shows.