Four New Singles At Once!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BigMacPhisto

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
I guess U2 can't decide either which of these has a shot at being a hit. :lol:

Radio And Records - Triple A

Triple A - Most Added

U2 - Magnificent - 4 stations
U2 - I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight - 4 stations

Triple A - Most Increased Plays

U2 - Magnificent - +68
U2 - I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight - +58
U2 - Stand Up Comedy - +55
U2 - No Line On The Horizon - +46

The #30 song had 117 plays last week, so Magnificent should be an easy shoe-in once those new stations start giving it spins. Wouldn't be surprised if all four charted.

I see that this was posted in another thread, but it does deserve it's own. What do people think of this strategy? Which will be the most successful?

I guess U2 can't decide either which of these has a shot at being a hit. :lol:

Radio And Records - Triple A

Triple A - Most Added

U2 - Magnificent - 4 stations
U2 - I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight - 4 stations

Triple A - Most Increased Plays

U2 - Magnificent - +68
U2 - I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight - +58
U2 - Stand Up Comedy - +55
U2 - No Line On The Horizon - +46

The #30 song had 117 plays last week, so Magnificent should be an easy shoe-in once those new stations start giving it spins. Wouldn't be surprised if all four charted.

I see that this was posted in another thread, but it does deserve it's own. What do people think of this strategy? Which will be the most successful?

I don't think this is 4 singles at once. The band released the album to radio and the stations play the songs they like off of the album. Doesn't Triple A stand for Adult Alternative Album or something like that?

Dana

From the band's perspective though, this actually makes more sense. Considering it is the only format that they receive a great deal of play on, they might as well hound the listeners and let them have half the album stuck in their head. Makes more sense than releasing songs one at a time that fail to set the charts alight.

Magnificent and Crazy tonight will be the next singles. That is about it for NLOTH single material anyway.

Magnificent and Crazy tonight will be the next singles. That is about it for NLOTH single material anyway.

No there would be four singles. The last one is not known yet. I think it will be Breathe though, since that was one of the first they played live. Which, ofcourse, shouldn't say too much since Miracle Drug was played a lot too in the promo days.

I can predict right now that these songs at best will top "Original of the Species" in airplay....no chance over the 2nd-4th singles from HTDAAB though. This album really is going to have to sell itself on the U2 name alone whereas the last album had a major (Vertigo) and minor hit (Sometimes).

If anything is to go buy from the non-U2 fans that have heard the stuff here in Australia, Breathe may be a fairly successful hit.

I can predict right now that these songs at best will top "Original of the Species" in airplay....no chance over the 2nd-4th singles from HTDAAB though. This album really is going to have to sell itself on the U2 name alone whereas the last album had a major (Vertigo) and minor hit (Sometimes).

Sometimes was a minor hit... in the US. Here in Europe it was almost as big as Vertigo. Same goes for COBL which was sucessful in Europe, eventually going to #1 in Portugal and Spain, for instance.

I like "Stand Up Comedy" a lot too. But that may be my taste and it may not be enough for mass appeal.

Still, the fourth single from an album rarely pushes the album into the stratosphere. Even the fourth single from JT didn't break the Top 40! What a fourth single does is "remind" people that the album is out there and helps maintain sales (might give it a little boost if the album is already a big hit).

U2 relied heavily on "Beautiful Day" and "Vertigo" for their past two albums. Those first singles did a lot of work. However, GOYB was like "The Fly" - promotional, but not a song that can keep the masses interested for that long. So it's up to the second and third singles to do the work. For AB, that was "Mysterious Ways" and "One". Great one-two punch.

I think a combo of "Magnificent" and "Crazy" could do it for U2. I don't think we'll see MW and "One" type results, but I do think these could be big enough hits that the interest in NLOTH will be maintained at a high level for a while.

Then the fourth single, whatever that is, hopefully will be something to keep some interest late this year (perhaps a holiday single release to ensure some holiday sales of NLOTH).

I think they should release Magnificent, now! It's number 65 on Itunes at the moment.

I like "Stand Up Comedy" a lot too. But that may be my taste and it may not be enough for mass appeal.

Still, the fourth single from an album rarely pushes the album into the stratosphere. Even the fourth single from JT didn't break the Top 40! What a fourth single does is "remind" people that the album is out there and helps maintain sales (might give it a little boost if the album is already a big hit).

U2 relied heavily on "Beautiful Day" and "Vertigo" for their past two albums. Those first singles did a lot of work. However, GOYB was like "The Fly" - promotional, but not a song that can keep the masses interested for that long. So it's up to the second and third singles to do the work. For AB, that was "Mysterious Ways" and "One". Great one-two punch.

I think a combo of "Magnificent" and "Crazy" could do it for U2. I don't think we'll see MW and "One" type results, but I do think these could be big enough hits that the interest in NLOTH will be maintained at a high level for a while.

Then the fourth single, whatever that is, hopefully will be something to keep some interest late this year (perhaps a holiday single release to ensure some holiday sales of NLOTH).

They are the obvious choice but I just feel Magnificent and especially Crazy tonight are exactly the type of singles U2's had on previous two albums and it didn't work - either the pop or the more acessible, slick version of it's 80's self. The trouble is this time U2 just doesn't have a massive single to crack the charts.

I think Stand up comedy would be better - that riff is something we haven't heard before from U2, and would fit in on the radio with the more prominent guitar bands from the last few years. That, or they hope for a massive appeal like WOWY or One and go for Moment of surrender.

I have a feeling Magnificent will be a huge hit. Everytime they play it people are going crazy and it has all the classic sounds of U2 plus some kind of dance vibe to it. Great song by U2 that will appeal to the masses.

Mag at #66 on top 100 iTunes... but it's split in two in rock charts, it could be even higher.

Well, U2 just said in an interview with GMA that they are about to film the video clip for Magnificent. Good stuff, hope it's a cool clip.
There's no doubting the song lives up to its name. But we shouldn't go overboard and expect a number 1 hit!
Number 2 would be good enough :wink:

That, or they hope for a massive appeal like WOWY or One and go for Moment of surrender.

I actually rather like the idea of Moment of Surrender being issued as the fourth single. As doctorwho said, it rarely receives the airplay of the previous three anyway, and a track like MOS would be a gutsy, memorable choice, one that would encourage the longevity of NLOTH, and that's always worth taking a shot at.

One would assume Magnificent is the next single. If they want to hit the US market then White As Snow should be the third single. NLOTH2 the fourth

I don't think U2 is gonna do a revolution with the next singles. Look at "get on your boots". U2 propose only one "new" song and a little bit of formats. In my opinion the most important things are the future concerts!!!

magnificent with stand up comedy as b side ?
and breathe with white as snow as a b-side ?

I love SUC and dont get all of I'll go crazy ,,., allthough someone else hit the nail on the head, saying that song was one of a few that was in his head as soon as he woke up, for example, or found himself humming the chorus, when doing the dishes ...
true ! but that crazy stuff is a bit cheesy ...

whilst Stand up gets down to the core I think !

and look at the vertigo milan dvd and see COBL it rocked !!
and I remember ABOY being great also on the nights ...

Back
Top Bottom