First Day Sales Of HTDAAB?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BizzaD

The Fly
Just wondering if anyone works in music retail etc and your opinions on first day sales of the album? Good or bad? I know when i was buying my copy, the customer in front of me was buying the same thing (deluxe edition) and the store guy commented that the album is excellent. Was their a demand for the album where your from?

Last edited:
Guy at the muisc store i got my copy from said That that album is going to be huge, and they have not had demand for anything like this for like 10 years.

serious? what store did you get it from? HMV? sanity? Where i work one copy was accidently sold last thursday by one of the staff.

Last edited:
Its bound to be massive but is this really great news? I would prefer the album to have been a great album and sell less than an average album and sell more.

rjhbonovox said:
Not overly impressed but I think I am in a minority.

Well, when you consider Pop a masterpiece RJH, i think you are going to be let down by this album. Having to search for melody and meaning is only good if you can eventually find it...

VertiGone said:

Well, when you consider Pop a masterpiece RJH, i think you are going to be let down by this album. Having to search for melody and meaning is only good if you can eventually find it...

I think Pop is nearly a masterpiece and think the same for HTDAAB. I have both in my top 3.

first week worldwide sales will be posted in the `Peeling off....' forum next week - and many of us have already made our predictions.

Mike

U2.com said something about record breaking first day sales in Ireland this past week. Any word from the promised land?

AussieU2fanman said:
so ur basically saying you don't really like the album?

It's rjhbonovox. He doesn't like anything unless it's Achtung Baby, Zooropa, or Pop.

Went to Target - it was the 3rd time the guy had to go back and restock the Collectors edition, and this at 10:30 in the morning, in a St. Louis suburb.

Might be a good sign.

I'm still sticking with my prediction of 422,000 in the first week.

Yeah. I think this is going to be huge. I went into Tower Records in Nashville at 9:30 this morning and there were at least ten people hovering around the U2 display figuring out which version to buy. Everybody at the checkout counter was buying it and it was the only thing the store was moving

Store ordered 75 copies of the super-deluxe book version and said only about twenty were left.

I definitely think this is going to be way bigger than ATYCLB's first week. There's been a ton of publicity, with the iPod thing, SNL and the NYC flatbed concert. Plus this album is coming off ATYCLB rather than Pop. The only people who criticize ATYCLB are diehard U2 fans. Lots of people diss Pop, meaning people are much more likely to go buy immediately.

Last edited:
Sales strong in non-U2 market

Now I live in the middle of nowhere, and have to go to Asheville, NC, or Johnson City, TN to find good music stores. However, my closest option is Greeneville, TN, a smaller town but with a Sam Goody's, Wal Mart, and K-Mart.

I got up this morning intending to head towards Asheville, but stopped at Sam Goody's in Greeneville. They had the largest display area dedicated to U2. It was half empty after the store being open 1 hour. They only had one of the highest end limited edition, which does have fast cars and was what I wanted...but for $36, I passed. Just to be curious, I went to K-Mart. They had the box (had about 50 CD's, I think) open on the counter, and I asked if they had the collector's edition...lady said they only had 3 and they were sold out. Now this is not a U2 town!!!

Couldn't resist stopping at Wal Mart, where they also had a dedicated U2 display. They had one collector's edition like Sam Goody's...and it was still $32!!! I wanted Fast Cars, though, so I made irrational purchase, as they did have the CD and DVD for $17. I couldn't wait on a 30 minute drive once I finally got the limited edition, and I figured if these retailers in my area are only getting a few of the collector's edition, then I had better buy one while I had it in my hands.

BTW, as a chart watcher, I have to update the video progress, as Vertigo goes from #8 to #6 on VH-1 top 20 videos...reversing the brief trend last week (from #7 to #8). The USA Today review says this is the best album ever from U2...echoing most of the reviews I've seen but this is a paper with big time circulation and they made no bones about saying "Atomic" is better than AB and JT. So I'll finish my rambling by upping my 1st week sales estimate to 635,000, more due to the USA Today review than my very unscientific study of sales in the middle of nowhere.

Re: Sales strong in non-U2 market

beLIEve said:
Now I live in the middle of nowhere, and have to go to Asheville, NC, or Johnson City, TN to find good music stores. However, my closest option is Greeneville, TN, a smaller town but with a Sam Goody's, Wal Mart, and K-Mart.

I got up this morning intending to head towards Asheville, but stopped at Sam Goody's in Greeneville. They had the largest display area dedicated to U2. It was half empty after the store being open 1 hour. They only had one of the highest end limited edition, which does have fast cars and was what I wanted...but for $36, I passed. Just to be curious, I went to K-Mart. They had the box (had about 50 CD's, I think) open on the counter, and I asked if they had the collector's edition...lady said they only had 3 and they were sold out. Now this is not a U2 town!!!

Couldn't resist stopping at Wal Mart, where they also had a dedicated U2 display. They had one collector's edition like Sam Goody's...and it was still $32!!! I wanted Fast Cars, though, so I made irrational purchase, as they did have the CD and DVD for $17. I couldn't wait on a 30 minute drive once I finally got the limited edition, and I figured if these retailers in my area are only getting a few of the collector's edition, then I had better buy one while I had it in my hands.

BTW, as a chart watcher, I have to update the video progress, as Vertigo goes from #8 to #6 on VH-1 top 20 videos...reversing the brief trend last week (from #7 to #8). The USA Today review says this is the best album ever from U2...echoing most of the reviews I've seen but this is a paper with big time circulation and they made no bones about saying "Atomic" is better than AB and JT. So I'll finish my rambling by upping my 1st week sales estimate to 635,000, more due to the USA Today review than my very unscientific study of sales in the middle of nowhere.

as per my prediction in the Peeling Off..... forum., Bomb will (I predict) sell more than 2 million in the first week- at least 650k in the US.

If I am wrong then happy to come back here- on a visit to Oz- but I won't be of course !

Mike

Mike

In the USA, won't Thanksgiving weekend be a factor? You know the big/ huge sales crunch where people get trampled for cheap DVDs ;)

The fact that U2's promoted this album with a commercial seen almost everywhere - (technically) & low prices at almost every sales outlet (dirt cheap at $8.99-$10.99),....

IMO this album will open huger than any U2 album ever. I didn't think so at first... but now I'm convinced of it.

great point fumanchu! the fact that this record is being released two days before the biggest sales day of the year in the U.S. will help immensely.

This will, without question, be U2's biggest first week ever in the SoundScan era. Well over 500,000 and surpassing ATYCLB.

james

James U2 said:
great point fumanchu! the fact that this record is being released two days before the biggest sales day of the year in the U.S. will help immensely.

is thanksgiving week bigger than christmas week in terms of sales?

Anyway in the US the sales should remain stronger than usual from now till the 2nd week of January...isn't it?

Yes... The day after Thanksgiving is the biggest shopping day of the year. Chains have huge sales and open at 6AM on the Friday after Thanksgiving. You will see huge lines (like camping out for tickets to a show) prior to the 6 AM open time. Again with HTDAAB being priced so low this week as well as other CDs in places like Best Buy and Circuit City, the temptation to impulse shop is there... believe me... LOL. (CC usually has a sale where all CDS come in at $9.99- $10.99 each). I usually get a ton of old school CDs at the time such as the Stones, Beatles album, or other stuff I'm interested in but not quite hyped enough to shell out the regular price for ($13.99-$14.99).

Last edited:
So we can keep track in this forum, here's the article from U2News:
It was an impressive opening day of sales for U2's new CD, "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb." One day reports from retailers showed the CD could be trending towards 900,000 sold for the week. Here is the number of units sold as reported by various retailers: Best Buy - 100,000; Target - 61,000; Circuit City - 32,000; Andersons - 20,000; Tower Records - 13,000.

Those sales alone add up to 226,000 - and that's just in one day! Missing from these numbers are on-line sales and WalMart - two other huge retailers. Plus,smaller music shops, Borders and other places will add as well.

WalMart is selling the basic CD for $8.99. Best Buy will drop to $7.99 the day after Thanksgiving. So if you want to give the CD out as gifts, stock up on those two days!

I'm suddenly thinking that, even with stores closed for Thanksgiving, HTDAAB could explode here!

Back
Top Bottom