eXPERIENCE + iNNOCENCE Tour Boxscore Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good stuff. That article didn't reveal the exact gross for Dublin, might have to wait until Billboard publish their numbers.

Last edited:
Good stuff. That article didn't reveal the exact gross for Dublin, might have to wait until Billboard publish their numbers.

“Before returning to Berlin for a make-up show after lead singer Bono lost his voice in September, the band played a four-night victory stretch at Dublin’s 3Arena. Those concerts grossed $6.4 million from 46,529 sold seats on Nov. 5-6, 9-10, topping its previous 2015 tally of $1.2 million for the same amount of show, Pollstar reports.”

$6.4 million from 46,529

Final figure was $126,188,794 and 927,034 tickets sold

Wonder were that will put them in the year end list. It’s not going to be top, probably not in the top 5 but will definitely be enough to get them in the top 10

And that is why touring Asia/Australia etc is not a priority - when you can pull in that kind of money from a smaller run why invest the time and money in dragging the show to far away shores? Especially when the currencies are not as strong as the US $ and euro...

I keep starting a train of thought and deleting it so I'll try to post before I do so again.

Plenty of U2's decisions aren't strictly about maximising financial return (touring arenas v stadiums, delaying albums repeatedly until they're happy with them, keeping GA tickets cheaper than seats etc.). They toured the grossly expensive Popmart here for a paltry four shows, including one in Perth (ok, if it was 2018 rather than 1998 that probably wouldn't happen again). The way some people talk, we should be grateful for any scraps we can get, despite turning up in great numbers if the artist/price is appealing. Do it right and they'll be reining in the cash rather than making it feel like they're performing an act of charity for us.

Popmart was meant to have a second show in Sydney. :lol:

It's not as if this is a zero-sum game, that by touring Australia (or anywhere outside North America and Western Europe) they are foregoing easier cash elsewhere. U2 want to maintain the Australian market, which is a pretty lucrative one for any band that can crack it. One of the ways you maintain and grow a market is to tour it. The band have been busy meeting demand in North America and, to a somewhat lesser extent, Western Europe. The choice now is not between another tour of those areas or Australia; it is between not touring or picking up some sweet dosh down here and in Asia. If they come here it is not out of generosity, it is to take a nice profit home with them. Leave it too much longer, though, and they might find they have dropped from stadium to arena band, and they do not want that to happen.

Dublin grossed $6,405,471 according to Billboard. $126 million should put them within the Top 5, definitely Top 10 tours of the year.

Then everybody will say “U2 fails to outgross Ed Sheehan, Taylor Swift, Beyoncé, etc... they’re washed up!!!”

Ignoring that they only did 60 shows, all in arenas.

Why are Pollstar and Billboard's numbers not jiving? I would think we won't have any new figures given the last show in Berlin was a make-up date and the total we already received for Berlin was a 2-show total from Aug/Sept.

Pollstar
Attendance: 927,034
Gross: $126,188,794

Billboard - individual show figures totaled
Attendance: 923,751
Gross: $125,609,371

Billboard just published an article giving the final tour figures, and there seems to be even more confusion now. https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/chart-beat/8486083/u2-experience-innocence-tour-wrap

Neither Pollstar nor Billboard's end of tour summary nor Billboard's individual shows tallied give the same number.

Billboard article
Attendance: 923,733
Gross: $126,188,344

Pollstar
Attendance: 927,034
Gross: $126,188,794

Billboard - individual show figures totaled (ignore my post above, there was some bad math)
Attendance: 923,730
Gross: $125,600,371

After rechecking I also got those numbers. No clue how they‘re getting $126.1 or how Pollstar calculated 927,034.

Perhaps there are updated figures for some shows?

Originally, the box score for Paris was reported as $9,421,781, but the Billboard end-of-tour summary gives it as $9,437,998.

I’d assume Taylor Swift, Beyoncé and Jay-Z, Ed Sheeran and the Stones. Swift will no doubt be #1, great numbers in the States.

U2 now has earned $2.15 billion on sales of 27.7 million concert tickets dating back to 1990 (when Billboard Boxscore first began tracking this stuff).

From atu2

So that’s from zoo tv , popmart, elevation, vertigo, 360, i&e, Joshua tree and e&i

That’s a lot of money :) I’m guessing that would put u2 the top grossing artist since records began. Maybe the stones could be close

U2 now has earned $2.15 billion on sales of 27.7 million concert tickets dating back to 1990 (when Billboard Boxscore first began tracking this stuff).

From atu2

So that’s from zoo tv , popmart, elevation, vertigo, 360, i&e, Joshua tree and e&i

That’s a lot of money :) I’m guessing that would put u2 the top grossing artist since records began. Maybe the stones could be close

I don't know, but I'd expect the Stones to have out grossed U2 over the same span, if for no other reason tickets prices (in spite of 360 even).

As for this last tour, it was successful, but I do tire of the caveat:

That's less overall than what the I+E tour did back in 2015, but that's because U2 played fewer shows this year -- 59, compared to 76 that year.

The fact is, U2 "only" performed 59 shows because that's all the market would support. Certainly in the U.S. at least. (the Australian market notwithstanding).

How many closed off sections with free upgrades does one need to convince otherwise?

I don't know, but I'd expect the Stones to have out grossed U2 over the same span, if for no other reason tickets prices (in spite of 360 even).

As for this last tour, it was successful, but I do tire of the caveat:

The fact is, U2 "only" performed 59 shows because that's all the market would support. Certainly in the U.S. at least. (the Australian market notwithstanding).

How many closed off sections with free upgrades does one need to convince otherwise?

I disagree to a certain point. Those closed off sections were only to my knowledge the upper tier behind the stage. This is the section that the large majority of artists don’t even attempt to sell. Most seats behind the staging are blacked out.

They were only blacked out at the 2nd nights of any shows. So the demand was there just not to play at a full 360 configuration. Playing a second gig with just the upper tier behind the stage not sold is still a show that had demand.

They could have played a lot more shows in Europe. Europes demand is never met.

I also think if they weren’t charging ridiculous amounts for lower bowl and sometimes upper bowl seats then again more people would go and the demand would be there to play more gigs

I think they must go to stadiums on the next tour and charge lower prices. It doesn't make any sense to fight for relevance and then having tickets that young people cannot afford to pay.

Ed Sheeran’s tour is about a few months away from surpassing the Stones (and if it keeps going, possibly U2360°) to become one of the biggest tours ever. Fucking hell.

Ed Sheeran’s tour is about a few months away from surpassing the Stones (and if it keeps going, possibly U2360°) to become one of the biggest tours ever. Fucking hell.

How longs he got left to go on his tour ?

Sheehan’s tour lasts through next August. Lots of big shows. He’s got several from summer 2018 that haven’t been reported yet. I’d say that by the time it’s over the record could be his. Plus his production costs are so small, and it’s just him onstage... dude’s gonna make a shit load of money!

Not sure where you are coming up with this idea...

He has grossed a little under 300 million from 149 shows. And only has about 40 shows left. Which means he won't even crack 400 million.

360 grossed 736 million not adjusted for inflation. I don't see how this is even a thought of being in jeopardy.

He has grossed 401 million from 168 shows. He plays another 50 next year. The 50 shows are all out door shows. But I really doubt he is going to gross nearly 400 million from 50 shows. If he has grossed 400 in 168 shows then there’s no way he is going to do the same number off 50 shows

Sorry all, forgot to mention the source. I read this Pollstar article before posting that.

https://www.pollstar.com/article/3q...ecord-setting-tour-destroys-all-comers-136447

Since the beginning of January, the number of sold tickets from the tour totals 4,377,488 with an overall gross of $383.2 million. Those chart-topping figures come from 83 headlining concerts at 42 venues.

Sheeran began 2018 with 106 performances under his belt and $125 million grossed from 1.5 million sold tickets on the ÷ tour’s opening legs through Europe, the Americas and Asia. With those 2017 figures added to this year’s stadium run, his overall tour grosses since launch have already topped half a billion dollars. From 189 headlining performances reported to Pollstar, Sheeran has already performed for 5.8 million fans.

I also don’t think he’ll make it to $736 million, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he beats the Stones.

Ed Sheeran is on track to beat U2’s record. According to this released by billboard today. The 50 shows he has left to play are more or less all stadium shows aswell.

Would be worth noting that he will play 257 shows on this tour where as u2 only played 110

https://www.billboard.com/articles/...rts-year-ed-sheeran-tops-taylor-swift-beyonce

Sheeran is scheduled to continue his expansive trek throughout 2019 before wrapping up on Aug. 26 at Chantry Park in Ipswich, England. After three shows Nov. 3 -9, 2018 (these grosses will count toward the 2019 year-end charts), $171.4 million separates The Divide Tour and U2’s 360 Tour, which remains the highest-grossing tour of all time. With 50 dates on the books next year, Sheeran needs to average $3.4 million per show to break U2’s record, significantly less than his 2018 average of $4.3 million. Come next fall, we could have a new reigning Boxscore champion.

[emoji30][emoji30]

Last edited:
Yeah I think he’s gonna do it.

U2 could’ve and should’ve done more shows on 360. They could’ve easily cleared $800 million. There were no shows in Asia. They could’ve done more shows in Europe, North America, and even more in South America.

It’s impressive. 4 million tickets sold in 1 year, multiple nights in stadiums and he’s returning to places already played.

And yes, U2 should have done a trip around Asia. Since 360° ended, it has turned into an important market for many acts.

wow. its odd because there seems to be discrepancies in the numbers i see in different articles. But I guess even if he squeaks past them, U2 will still be number 1 with the numbers adjusted for inflation where they will sit at about 815-820 million or so by the end of next year...

Back
Top Bottom