Every Breaking Wave Radio Play

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CosmoKramer

Rock n' Roll Doggie
I noticed that it has been added to a couple of formats, so I'm thinking it might be the next radio single(whether U2 want it or not).

Alternative:

On the Taking off chart with 3 station adds
On the Spincrease chart with 43 new plays from 12 stations

AC:

On the Taking off chart with 2 station adds
On the Spincrease chart with 40 new plays from 8 stations

Enters the top 50 at #41! (33 plays)

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

Yeah, no surprise that it ends up being single #2. California should end up being #3 as it's clearly the most radio friendly of the bunch. I figured EBW would be next since it's a ballad and provides a contrast to the previous rocker single (think Vertigo/Sometimes).

I think California is one of the weakest songs on the album. I see no problem with U2 using "Song for Someone" as a third single (what's wrong with 2 slower songs - Coldplay does it all the time!). But right now, they need a song that makes some sort of dent. Every Breaking Wave is a great choice for a single (especially as the beginning sounds like WOWY). I just hope it takes off.

Just checked the charts tonight and something very interesting.

In addition to getting adds on Alternative and AC(jumped from #41 up to #31)....today they have adds on Triple A........AND......Hot AC.

Now this is a big deal because it speaks to the potential for it to cross over formats, which can lead to a radio hit.

While there was only 1 add on HOT AC, when I clicked on the song, there were 7 stations playing it all in major areas(Philip, Dallas, San Fran, LA).

So while its only charting on 1 format, it's being played on 4!

I noticed that it has been added to a couple of formats, so I'm thinking it might be the next radio single(whether U2 want it or not).

Alternative:

On the Taking off chart with 3 station adds
On the Spincrease chart with 43 new plays from 12 stations

AC:

On the Taking off chart with 2 station adds
On the Spincrease chart with 40 new plays from 8 stations

Enters the top 50 at #41! (33 plays)

There is a storm brewing…it hasn't formed yet and may not but its brewing!

Todays charts:

AAA- U2's "home format", they have the most success here!

On the "Taking Off" chart with 1 station add (all songs listed had only 1 add, Im guessing adds come more during the week).

On the "Spincrease" chart with 13 spins from 4 stations

Alternative- U2's 2nd "home format"

On the "Taking off" chart with 7 station adds (most added song)
On the "Spinecrease" chart with 116 spins from 15 stations (5th biggest increase)

The song has also entered the Top 50 overall chart at #50 with 114 spins

AC- Not a popular format for U2 and I believe Ordinary Love charted here (they don't play many "rockers"

On the "Taking off" chart with 5 station adds (most added song)
On the "Spinecrease" chart with 114 spins from 12 stations (6th biggest increase)

The song is also on the Top 50 overall chart at #23 with 97 spins

Hot AC- Not a popular format for U2 in recent years…at all!

On the "Taking off" chart with 5 station adds (7th most added song)
On the "Spinecrease" chart with 60 spins from 8 stations

This song seems to be catching on in 4 different formats. I don't see it yet on Active Rock, Mainstream Rock or the ultimate anti-U2 format Top 40 (not anti-U2, just not interested in them).

Time will tell but all of this "charting" with NO promotional push for the song in the US and no word that it is their 2nd single (while we assume it will be, I haven't heard anything).

Nothing may come of it and it may go the way of the last 10 singles and fizzle out. But I suggest you go out and stock up on some food and water…just in case this storm takes off a little (see what Im doing there, keeping with the whole storm/sea theme with the song). :doh:

There is a storm brewing…it hasn't formed yet and may not but its brewing!

Todays charts:

AAA- U2's "home format", they have the most success here!

On the "Taking Off" chart with 1 station add (all songs listed had only 1 add, Im guessing adds come more during the week).

On the "Spincrease" chart with 13 spins from 4 stations

Alternative- U2's 2nd "home format"

On the "Taking off" chart with 7 station adds (most added song)
On the "Spinecrease" chart with 116 spins from 15 stations (5th biggest increase)

The song has also entered the Top 50 overall chart at #50 with 114 spins

AC- Not a popular format for U2 and I believe Ordinary Love charted here (they don't play many "rockers"

On the "Taking off" chart with 5 station adds (most added song)
On the "Spinecrease" chart with 114 spins from 12 stations (6th biggest increase)

The song is also on the Top 50 overall chart at #23 with 97 spins

Hot AC- Not a popular format for U2 in recent years…at all!

On the "Taking off" chart with 5 station adds (7th most added song)
On the "Spinecrease" chart with 60 spins from 8 stations

This song seems to be catching on in 4 different formats. I don't see it yet on Active Rock, Mainstream Rock or the ultimate anti-U2 format Top 40 (not anti-U2, just not interested in them).

Time will tell but all of this "charting" with NO promotional push for the song in the US and no word that it is their 2nd single (while we assume it will be, I haven't heard anything).

Nothing may come of it and it may go the way of the last 10 singles and fizzle out. But I suggest you go out and stock up on some food and water…just in case this storm takes off a little (see what Im doing there, keeping with the whole storm/sea theme with the song). :doh:

This is great! Thanks for the update by the way.

I must say that I really love that it's catching on before any push or even being officially released. Because now, and tell me if I'm crazy, I saw a 60 minutes spot airing tonight?? Is that US? And if so, is that the start of a full promo push in the US, like they've been doing the past couple weeks in Europe?

If so, I am confident that this could really take off. It's getting teed up right now on these first few stations, and a promo push and official release could send this thing sailing!

This is great! Thanks for the update by the way.

I must say that I really love that it's catching on before any push or even being officially released. Because now, and tell me if I'm crazy, I saw a 60 minutes spot airing tonight?? Is that US? And if so, is that the start of a full promo push in the US, like they've been doing the past couple weeks in Europe?

If so, I am confident that this could really take off. It's getting teed up right now on these first few stations, and a promo push and official release could send this thing sailing!
The 60 Minutes segment was for Australian TV.

I have a feeling EBW will take off as well. Hope they do some promotional appearances in the US.

If EBW doesn't take off, then I don't know what will for U2. I'm not saying it'll be a top 10 or even Top 30 hit for them (in the U.S.), but the song is exactly that slower, yet pop-enough radio-friendly tune U2 have been searching for since ATYCLB. If Coldplay can have hit after hit with this style of song, surely U2's EBW will blend well with those stations. It's not offensive, is catchy, has that WOWY beginning, is a love song, has solid lyrics and is uplifting. It's not ridiculous like "Crazy" or too wordy like "Sometimes..." or even "Stuck...".

But the trouble with singles is that one never knows. The mere fact that it's U2 could be enough to prevent the song from being a hit. I hope U2's current manager really pushes the powers that be on this one.

If EBW doesn't take off, then I don't know what will for U2. I'm not saying it'll be a top 10 or even Top 30 hit for them (in the U.S.), but the song is exactly that slower, yet pop-enough radio-friendly tune U2 have been searching for since ATYCLB. If Coldplay can have hit after hit with this style of song, surely U2's EBW will blend well with those stations. It's not offensive, is catchy, has that WOWY beginning, is a love song, has solid lyrics and is uplifting. It's not ridiculous like "Crazy" or too wordy like "Sometimes..." or even "Stuck...".

But the trouble with singles is that one never knows. The mere fact that it's U2 could be enough to prevent the song from being a hit. I hope U2's current manager really pushes the powers that be on this one.

I agree with everything here. My worry is that I don't see any US promo push happening. No SNL, haven't heard of any late night scheduling, no cbs or abc news shows, no playing on a roof somewhere. Nothin

So while it's getting some spins at radio, it could wither on the vine if it's not backed up by any promo.

format AC:
19 +1
U2
Every Breaking Wave
155 +40 149 +34 3.635 +0.319 7 454 19 155 149 3.635

format Alternative
44 =
U2
Every Breaking Wave
158 +20 149 +11 1.313 -0.036 3 454 44 158 149 1.349

They need to deliver a video to the song and send Radio Stations a hard copy of the song on promo. It should have been done like 'Mysterious ways' after 'the Fly'. Just a few weeks after the first song another one throwing in.
AFter the week of promo appearances and now nothing I think SOI will live a short life.

In the UK it seems that anything that is U2 will not get played on the radio, but the exact same song by Coldplay would have radio stations getting all over it. HTDAAB era U2 were massive in the UK, but as soon as NLOTH came out U2 seemed to be the band everyone wanted to hate. :S

I agree with everything here. My worry is that I don't see any US promo push happening. No SNL, haven't heard of any late night scheduling, no cbs or abc news shows, no playing on a roof somewhere. Nothin

So while it's getting some spins at radio, it could wither on the vine if it's not backed up by any promo.

they seem to be concentrating solely on Europe, and doing more promo this time with an album which they have given away for free than they did with the last two albums.

Agreed. Acoustic EBW sounds so much like other songs you'd hear on Pop radio today. If they release the acoustic version as the single and it doesn't take off, then yeah, what else can they do?

In the USA, EBW continues to gain on AAA,AC,Alternative and Hot AC.

It's still only charting in Alternative and AC(with pretty big gains) but I expect it to begin charting on AAA and Hot AC by this weekend or early next week.

Still no sign of of it on Mainstream Rock(very small format), Active Rock or....Top 40.

Top 40 is the largest format and I can't remember the last time a U2 song charted here(beautiful Day??) but if this song can break out on Hot AC and AC, it might get noticed on Top 40.

Some promotion, an "official release" and a video would be very helpful,

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

format HAC:
99 --
U2
Every Breaking Wave
192 -- 177 -- 1.184 -- 1 543

format AC:
65 +3
U2
Every Breaking Wave
383 +68 343 +52 4.682 +0.272 8 543

format Alternative:
83 +3
U2
Every Breaking Wave
202 +18 153 -3 1.275 -0.012 5 543

:applaud:

format HAC:
99--
U2
Every Breaking Wave
192--177--1.184--1543

format AC:
65+3
U2
Every Breaking Wave
383+68343+524.682+0.2728543

format Alternative:
83+3
U2
Every Breaking Wave
202+18153-31.275-0.0125543

:applaud:

Where did you get these numbers from?

Daily US Radio Updates

all+recurrents and select the format

:up:

Overall Airplay:
243+43
U2
Every Breaking Wave
7.141+1.444777+2785432437.141777HAC/AC/Alternative

Cool, thanks. I use a different site, I'll share the link later when I get home. You need to sign up but it's free and it's a really good site.

Daily US Radio Updates

all+recurrents and select the format

:up:

Overall Airplay:
243+43
U2
Every Breaking Wave
7.141+1.444777+2785432437.141777HAC/AC/Alternative

Looking it over, it seems to be pretty much in line(if not the same) as the site I use.

The cool thing about my site is you can also pull charts for "top adds" and "top increase in plays" week over week, so even though they might not be chatting, you can see if it might soon.

Top 40 is the largest format and I can't remember the last time a U2 song charted here(beautiful Day??) but if this song can break out on Hot AC and AC, it might get noticed on Top 40.

I can confirm hearing "Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of" multiple times on Top 40 radio back in the day...never heard "Vertigo" or any songs since then on the format, for what it's worht

CosmoKramer;7872356 AC. I expect it to begin charting on AAA and Hot AC by this weekend or early next week. Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference[/QUOTE said:
Well, it's officially charting on the Hot AC chart as of today!

Hot AC- #50
AC- #19(biggest gainer)
Alternative - #44

@CosmoKramer
EBW will adds on Triple AAA format?Thanx.

It is on the "spin-crease" chart but not in the "taking off" chart. Being that it has been picked up and is charting on 3 other formats, I do believe it will start to take off on AAA. After all, that is by far their most friendly format.

I also keep checking the Top 40 format as something tells me it just might show up on some of those stations.

Can someone call the band and tell them to get their asses over to the states please. :wink:

I really feel they will be here during Thanksgiving week until the week before Christmas. I think they are going to do some heavy holiday promotion

I really feel they will be here during Thanksgiving week until the week before Christmas. I think they are going to do some heavy holiday promotion

ugh, that's a long time to let EBW to just sit flailing, unsupported on radio. Worrisome.

Wow! It's at #18 in Adult AC and is the 2nd biggest gainer in spins on the chart. It's at 49 on Hot AC. All of this with zero U.S. promotion so far. It could very well be their first "hit" since 2004.

This song sounds too much like Beautiful Day to me (in a really good way)... it is great that it's performing pretty good right now, it would be awesome if it manages to become a real hit, and it would be hilarious to watch a couple of persons that complained, whined and begged to delete the "who's u2 and what is doing in my iPod" album, listen to it on the radio, like the song and then having to actually buy the song back.
I'd LOVE to see THAT happening.

Back
Top Bottom