Even Better Than The Real Thing - chart question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BreakingTheWave

Babyface
EBTTRT hit number 32 on the US Chart. Was it the original version or the remixed dance version which managed this? I’ve read conflicting stories online.

EBTTRT hit number 32 on the US Chart. Was it the original version or the remixed dance version which managed this? I’ve read conflicting stories online.

I'm not sure if the Hot 100 separated the remixes and the original versions of songs at the time. However, I know for a fact that the remix(es) weren't nearly as popular as in the UK (only reached #27 on the Club Play chart and #35 on the Dance Music/Maxi-Single/Remix single chart). It was the original version that was as #1 hit on Mainstream Rock radio, #5 on Alternative rock radio, and was played on Casey Kasem's Top 40 countdown.

Yep. I said "UK" in my post but meant US. The remix did much better than the original in the UK, while in the US, the remix was moderately popular in clubs/on the dance chart (and probably helped boost single sales some), but it was that original version and the amount of airplay it was getting that really helped it up the Hot 100.

but it was that original version and the amount of airplay it was getting that really helped it up the Hot 100.

I don’t think AirPlay was calculated into the Hot 100 until 1999 or 2000. Prior to that it was pure sales(likely driven by airplay because people heard it and then bought it).

The catalyst for the Hot 100 change was Don’t Speak by No Doubt. They (brilliantly) didn’t release a single but the song was the top played song for weeks(by a large margin). Had airplay counted at the time, I think it would have broken The Macarenas record of weeks at #1(I lived through that BTW...lol).

I don’t think AirPlay was calculated into the Hot 100 until 1999 or 2000. Prior to that it was pure sales(likely driven by airplay because people heard it and then bought it).

The catalyst for the Hot 100 change was Don’t Speak by No Doubt. They (brilliantly) didn’t release a single but the song was the top played song for weeks(by a large margin). Had airplay counted at the time, I think it would have broken The Macarenas record of weeks at #1(I lived through that BTW...lol).

This is incorrect. AirPlay was always part of hot 100. It was in late 90s that the need to have a physical single to be eligible was removed.

Back
Top Bottom