euro dates not sold out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Did Russia and Turkey have empty section because of overpricing the market or simple fan interest?

I noticed in Turkey photos the cheap seats were sold, but lower bowl seats farthest from the stage that were higher priced were empty. Couldn't tell by 2 clear crowd shots from Russia.

Although u2 did not sell out in Moscow they did amazing, compared to other artists.

I am also very curious what U2 will do in Sevilla.
Madonna sold 47,712 tickets, not sold out (59,258 / 82%)
Also the concert of Bruce & E-Street was far from sold out. Don't know what AC/DC did there?

Although u2 did not sell out in Moscow they did amazing, compared to other artists.

I am also very curious what U2 will do in Sevilla.
Madonna sold 47,712 tickets, not sold out (59,258 / 82%)
Also the concert of Bruce & E-Street was far from sold out. Don't know what AC/DC did there?

I believe Sevilla will be a sell out or very close. And remember that 360 configuration allows for a substantial amount of extra tickets put on sale.

Just checked and there are no tickets available for either Rome or Munich. Both must of sold out.

Well, with all the talk about how well or poor U2 did in Turkey, I thought I would post the boxscore for the Rolling Stones only show in Turkey:

The Rolling Stones
September 19, 1998
Istanbul, Turkey
Ali Sami Yen Stadium
GROSS: $642,999
ATTENDANCE: 14,873
CAPACITY: 20,000
SHOWS: 1
SELLOUTS: 0

Madonna played a stadium show in Instanbul in 1993 at a stadium that only had a seating capacity of 32,000. Boxscores outside North America prior to 1995 were rarely reported and none to my knowledge exist for this show.

So the reported 62,000 for Moscow and 50,000 for Istanbul by u2.com are exceptional figures. I'm guessing a record by any western artist anyway.

Well, with all the talk about how well or poor U2 did in Turkey, I thought I would post the boxscore for the Rolling Stones only show in Turkey:

The Rolling Stones
September 19, 1998
Istanbul, Turkey
Ali Sami Yen Stadium
GROSS: $642,999
ATTENDANCE: 14,873
CAPACITY: 20,000
SHOWS: 1
SELLOUTS: 0

Madonna played a stadium show in Instanbul in 1993 at a stadium that only had a seating capacity of 32,000. Boxscores outside North America prior to 1995 were rarely reported and none to my knowledge exist for this show.

I think Madonna played to 50,000-54,000 in Istanbul. She did set the record for the biggest stadium concert in Turkey though (at the time).

Sadly...U2 (well, the promoters) choosed a really big stadium for Turkey, the seats capacity is 76,092, I think that this is the first time since Popmart that U2 fail to sellout by a large amount. The Luzhniki Stadium has a capacity of 78,360, so 60.000-65.000 attendants isn´t thaat bad.

Sadly...U2 (well, the promoters) choosed a really big stadium for Turkey, the seats capacity is 76,092, I think that this is the first time since Popmart that U2 fail to sellout by a large amount. The Luzhniki Stadium has a capacity of 78,360, so 60.000-65.000 attendants isn´t thaat bad.

I think a couple Elevation dates in the US had a higher percentage of empty seats if the 65k/78k ratio is correct.

4-5 2001 shows used a curtain in an arena which meant 20-25% of seats that would have sold in another market. I think St. Louis had a few thousand empty regular balcony seats since they did virtually no newspaper/radio ads. Weirdly, I vaguely recall a Vegas U2 show having a lots of empty balcony seats that were fully paid by hotels to give out as comps but left unused(?!?!)

They should have played Sukru Saracoqlu stadium in Istanbul capacity 53,586.

They honestly had no way of knowing they were going to be playing to a half full stadium (maybe more than that). U2 has never played in Turkey before. For all they knew, the show could've sold out the day it went on sale and they could have added a 2nd show on the 7th... there was clearly room in the schedule for a 2nd date. The same goes for Moscow. There was no precedence for how they were going to do in these countries.

They should have played Sukru Saracoqlu stadium in Istanbul capacity 53,586.

Turkey played Belgium at this stadium the day after the show in a Euro 2012 qualifier, It was sold out, except for the away fan section. Whilst in Turkey a few people told me people won't go the Ataturk because of the lack of transport and basically what a pain in the ass it is to get there which I can bear witness too! The other stadia in Istanbul are used for football games at this time of year, the Ataturk is used for nothing.

No not yet, there have been no boxscores reported for this euro leg. This weds there will be a new list out on billboard.biz, and if any u2 boxscores show up I will post them in the boxscores thread.

Munich was SOLD OUT yesterday (at least according to all the posters hanging around the city, labeled with this sign)

1. U2 has already played 24 massive stadium shows in Europe with an average attendance of 70,000+ per night. At some point, when you keep adding shows, you will reach the point of saturation which will prevent you from selling out.

2. Remember, this is the first tour ever that has played football stadiums in a 360 format. This means U2 has to sell and extra 20,000 to 30,000 seats just to achieve a sellout in these stadiums.

3. 11 of though shows on the 2nd leg are soldout leaving only 11 that are not.

4. Germany has always typically been a weaker market for U2 in Europe, and Greece and Turkey are new or somewhat new.

5. The only head scratcher might be Italy, but again were talking about having to sellout 80,000 seat stadiums.

6. The economy is obviously not in the best shape these days.

What about in Croatia and the rest of Eastern Europe?

Back
Top Bottom