euro dates not sold out - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Peeling off those Dollar Bills
Click Here to Login

Old 09-02-2010, 03:55 PM   #46
Babyface

Local Time: 12:42 AM
And for Hannover. The capacity is 48.000. For 360 the capacity is around 60.000 so 57.000 isn't bad (a lot of tickets were sold for lower prices).

Old 09-03-2010, 06:55 AM   #47
Refugee

Local Time: 10:42 PM
With all the reports about U2s Moscow show being under attended with perhaps only 50,000 people, I thought I would list the boxscores for the Rolling Stones only show in Moscow as well as Madonna's:

The Rolling Stones
August 11, 1998
Moscow Russia
Luzhniki Stadium
GROSS: $1,513,838
ATTENDANCE: 45,304

Madonna
September 12, 2006
Moscow Russia
Luzhniki Stadium
GROSS: $5,548,998
ATTENDANCE: 37,939

Old 09-03-2010, 08:20 AM   #48
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maoilbheannacht View Post
With all the reports about U2s Moscow show being under attended with perhaps only 50,000 people, I thought I would list the boxscores for the Rolling Stones only show in Moscow as well as Madonna's:

The Rolling Stones
August 11, 1998
Moscow Russia
Luzhniki Stadium
GROSS: $1,513,838
ATTENDANCE: 45,304

Madonna
September 12, 2006
Moscow Russia
Luzhniki Stadium
GROSS: $5,548,998
ATTENDANCE: 37,939
Ahhh, perspective. If you read the article up on u2tours.com, which is titled "Just not that in to U2", the impression you would have is that U2 failed to sell out because Russians are just not that into them. The article does mention in brief that the Stones and Madonna played in Moscow but only that they didnt have the "hot stuff" either. It mentions nothing to the fact that the U2 show was one of, if not THE, most successful show by a western act to play Moscow. The article mentions that Michael Jackson & Robbie Williams played Moscow, would you happen to have the numbers for those shows?

If U2 played to 50k, that would be impressive.
If U2 played to 60k, that would be amazing.

Its all about perspective!
Old 09-03-2010, 08:58 AM   #49
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoKramer View Post
Ahhh, perspective. If you read the article up on u2tours.com, which is titled "Just not that in to U2", the impression you would have is that U2 failed to sell out because Russians are just not that into them. The article does mention in brief that the Stones and Madonna played in Moscow but only that they didnt have the "hot stuff" either. It mentions nothing to the fact that the U2 show was one of, if not THE, most successful show by a western act to play Moscow. The article mentions that Michael Jackson & Robbie Williams played Moscow, would you happen to have the numbers for those shows?

If U2 played to 50k, that would be impressive.
If U2 played to 60k, that would be amazing.

Its all about perspective!
If I´m not mistaken Pink Floyd hold the record for the biggest rock show by an international act in Russia (USSR at the time). In 1980, they played to an audience of roughly 60,000. I heard and unofficial figure of 62,000 for U2´s concert so if this is officially confirmed U2 will be the new record holders.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:19 AM   #50
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedeu2 View Post
If I´m not mistaken Pink Floyd hold the record for the biggest rock show by an international act in Russia (USSR at the time). In 1980, they played to an audience of roughly 60,000. I heard and unofficial figure of 62,000 for U2´s concert so if this is officially confirmed U2 will be the new record holders.
If that is correct, then even if U2 played to 50,000, it would have still been a huge success in Russia. I do think that you're figure of 62k is closer to what they really played to but regardless, its still amazing.

Did they sell it out? hell no? but that is not always the point. I pose this question:

How many artists in HISTORY can say that they (not a festival but just the artist) have played to 50k+ people in Russia, Croatia, Japan, Australia, the U.K., Spain, Germany, Poland, Italy, Brazil, Argentina, Mexico, Canada, France, Los Angeles, New York, Florida and Texas.

You might be able to name a handful (small one at that). The fact that these guys have a following that can draw 50,000 people from nearly any continent in the world is crazy. I mean, they speak/sing in english for god sake and they still sold 50k+ tickets in Russia. I guess some people (Moggio) will try and put a negative spin on this accomplishment but it just further demonstrates the bias he has against this band.

fedeu2o you know of any other bands to play Moscow? I thought maybe the Beatles did but maybe I am mistaken.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:39 PM   #51
War Child

Quote:
If that is correct, then even if U2 played to 50,000, it would have still been a huge success in Russia. I do think that you're figure of 62k is closer to what they really played to but regardless, its still amazing.

Did they sell it out? hell no? but that is not always the point. I pose this question:

How many artists in HISTORY can say that they (not a festival but just the artist) have played to 50k+ people in Russia, Croatia, Japan, Australia, the U.K., Spain, Germany, Poland, Italy, Brazil, Argentina, Mexico, Canada, France, Los Angeles, New York, Florida and Texas.

You might be able to name a handful (small one at that). The fact that these guys have a following that can draw 50,000 people from nearly any continent in the world is crazy. I mean, they speak/sing in english for god sake and they still sold 50k+ tickets in Russia. I guess some people (Moggio) will try and put a negative spin on this accomplishment but it just further demonstrates the bias he has against this band.

fedeu2o you know of any other bands to play Moscow? I thought maybe the Beatles did but maybe I am mistaken.
I´m not sure The Beatles played Moscow, I think not. It was Paul back in 2003 who played at the Kremlin for Vladimir Putin.
As for other bands, Metallica, AC/DC and Pantera definitely played there in 1991. Attendance reports ranged from 150,000 to 700,000 people but it was a free concert so there´s no possible comparison with what U2, RS or PF have attained.
Still, it is a fact that heavy metal bands are very popular in Russia and Eastern Europe, more than "soft-rock" bands (U2, Coldplay, etc.).
Old 09-03-2010, 12:53 PM   #52
War Child

Quote:
I´m not sure The Beatles played Moscow, I think not. It was Paul back in 2003 who played at the Kremlin for Vladimir Putin.
As for other bands, Metallica, AC/DC and Pantera definitely played there in 1991. Attendance reports ranged from 150,000 to 700,000 people but it was a free concert so there´s no possible comparison with what U2, RS or PF have attained.
Still, it is a fact that heavy metal bands are very popular in Russia and Eastern Europe, more than "soft-rock" bands (U2, Coldplay, etc.).
I almost forgot that The prodigy played a mini-concert in Moscow in 1997, at Red Square I think.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:46 PM   #53
Acrobat

Local Time: 11:42 PM
[QUOTE

QUOTE]

In regard to my country (Croatia), it is an even more impressive result, because there is only 4.5 million of us, and they played to 124.000 people (two concerts). Not bad at all!
Old 09-03-2010, 08:46 PM   #54
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

U2's second show in perth has sold out.

All the NZ and AUZ shows are listed as sold out.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:40 PM   #55
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaz02 View Post
U2's second show in perth has sold out.

All the NZ and AUZ shows are listed as sold out.
Where did you see them listed as sold out? If that's true, that's awesome.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:12 PM   #56
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Where did you see them listed as sold out? If that's true, that's awesome.
On u2.com, captain.
Old 09-04-2010, 02:16 PM   #57
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:42 PM
Weren't Red hot chili peppers the first band from the West to play the Red Square a few years ago ?
Old 09-06-2010, 11:34 PM   #58
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
PF played 4 nights in an arena sized russian venue in June 1989. 16,000/night with lots of repeat fans? Only band trip to the country, as the original 79-80 Wall tour only play 2 cities in Europe and 2 stateside.

BTW, classiacal pianist Glenn Gould from Canada played the USSR in 1957. First western artist to do so since WWII.

MJ played the Dynamo stadium in Sept 1996 which has a seated soccer capacity of 36,000.

Robbie did 16,000 in November 2003 at the "Olimpiisky".
Old 09-07-2010, 09:30 AM   #59
Babyface

Local Time: 05:42 PM
According to u2tour.de some 82.000 people attended the concert in Athens, while Istanbul attracted "only" 50k + (which means the situation was the same or even worse than in Moscow)
Old 09-07-2010, 10:11 AM   #60
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by celtic1 View Post
According to u2tour.de some 82.000 people attended the concert in Athens, while Istanbul attracted "only" 50k + (which means the situation was the same or even worse than in Moscow)
From the pictures, Athens did look crowded.
Gaaaah at Istanbul