Estimates for U2:18?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChargedVT

Refugee
As the title says, how well do you think this album will sell?
If the previous two Best Ofs had not been released before this point I would straight away say this album would sell 15-20 million... However those Best Ofs are sure to take sales away.

My estimate: 7 million

Greatest hits packages always sell well before christmas but the fact that most U2 fans already have most of these songs will take sales away.

What do you all think?

How many copies has Best of 90-00 sold, 5 million? I actually expect this album to sell less.

Most casual fans from the JT or AB eras already have all the songs they want on one of the two previous Best Of's. Ditto for anyone who just wanted to get Sweetest Thing or Beautiful Day, and anyone who was only interested in Vertigo probably just downloaded it from iTunes.

Saints will be available for download (and as a single) before the album is released, so the only things driving sales seem to be the bonus DVD and the one new track. (Count on Window on the Sky being an "album only" track on iTunes.) I can't really see casual fans being interested much in either of those.

I, of course, will be buying it because I'm a big sucker.

By the end of 2006, I'd say 2.5 million worldwide..........about 750,000 from the United States.

I think the 1990-2000 Best Of Sold about 7-8 million and the 1980-1990 Best Of sold about double that. I would say 10 million would be a reasonable total sales estimate for this album. It does have 2 new songs on it and some of the Green Day audience will buy it as well.

It wont sell 10 Million, Bomb barely sold that and that was a highly anticipated studio album!

I think it will outsell many peoples expectations, no matter what it does it will still be one of the biggest sellers of the year no doubt about that, there isnt many artists out there these days that have the kind of fanbase that U2 has, and there will be no doubt some that pick this album up to discover the band.

Although many hardcore U2 fans are not thrilled with another best of but im telling everyone this will sell through the roof. Consider the timing of xmas, 16 of u2's greatest songs, 2 new tracks plus a 10 track dvd from Vertigo Milan for the special edition. I predict around 10 million in total. The tracklisting is almost perfect unlike the pathetic best of 1990 - 2000 so i say it will do very very well.

ybird3k said:
i'd go for first week UK sales of 80-100k (#2 behind oasis) and US of 200-250k

with total sales of 4-5M

I'll be surprised if it peaks at #2 in the UK, as well as Oasis, Westlife, & Abba are also releasing LP'S that week, I think it'll peak at #4 in the UK, with sales of 50-60,000. Oasis will stroll to#1 with around 250,000.

I think it depends how many people out there looked at the previous BO's and thought "no, I want a full retrospective".

ie, people who bought neither of the other BO, but like U2. Find that market and add the hardcore fans and there is your sales figure.

Should do pretty well as a holiday gift, and for casual fans. As well as hooking the hardcore fans in with the Milan DVD. 750,000 copies sold in the US this year, on it's way to about 2 million, at least double that worldwide.

HTDAAB made a lot of new fans so I could see U2:18 selling to the people who just became fans of U2.

That being said, I doubt this will sell more than the last 2 best of's unless WITS becomes a big hit. And I have no idea if WITS will be a big hit.

In my mind, Electrical Storm was one of the best U2 singles ever, but it got very little recognition. Perhaps because it was on a Best of album.

So either, people will ignore WITS because they think it sucks/too pop, or because its on a best of. Or, they will fall in love with it, and U2:18 will get a big boost in sales. :huh:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom