Current U2 album sales

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks good, but ugh do I hate articles being needlessly split over 26(!) pages.

Still interesting that R&H sold 100k more than JT in Australia, even with Lovetown featuring a lot of JT songs and JT outselling R&H 2:1 worldwide.

Miss Sarajevo's 500k physical single sales isn't too shabby either.

Last edited:
Soe has sold a lot more then 190k. Probably around the 1.5 million number when the tour has finished. Numbers seem really low on that article. Joshua tree has done more the 18 million, bomb had to do more then 5.5 million aswell

Kinda hard to know which source(s) might be the most accurate.

Even on WIkipedia, when listing the "best-selling albums" there comes the caveat "certified sales" vs "claimed sales."

Which may be the explanation for the different tallies above?

Certified sales goes by the amount shipped to stores. When an album went gold, platinum etc it was based on those. Here in Australia Htdaab was platinum first week (70,000+) and its first week actual sales that week were 48,000. There's always a TON of copies in shop when an album is new. But for an album that's years old there certainly won't be millions of copies in shops.

Sent from my SM-G960F using U2 Interference mobile app

Certified sales goes by the amount shipped to stores. When an album went gold, platinum etc it was based on those. Here in Australia Htdaab was platinum first week (70,000+) and its first week actual sales that week were 48,000. There's always a TON of copies in shop when an album is new. But for an album that's years old there certainly won't be millions of copies in shops.

Sent from my SM-G960F using U2 Interference mobile app

That's my understanding too. Though I remember back when ATYCLB was listed as double platinum on the Billboard charts for some time, then later heard it reported that a million more copies had just been shipped out (in this country at least), but I didn't see that number reflected on the Billboard charts (i.e., double to triple platinum) until months later. So I remained curious.

Back
Top Bottom