Could U2 set Rock sales record???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

womanfish

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that Pearl Jam currently have the highest selling ROCK album for first week sales with VS. which sold around 900k or so. If U2 surpasses this, they could take that title away.

Others to have sold over a million that i know of off the top of my head:

Eminem
Usher
Nsync
Backstreet
Nora Jones

Is that all??

womanfish said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that Pearl Jam currently have the highest selling ROCK album for first week sales with VS. which sold around 900k or so. If U2 surpasses this, they could take that title away.

Eminem
Usher
Nsync
Backstreet
Nora Jones

Is that all??

I think there are definitely more, but I can't think of them off the top of my head. Remember that Soundscan was only tracking 90% plus of all sales from 1996 on. Rattle And Hum is estimated I believe to have sold a 1 million copies at retail in its first week, but there is no way to verify that since Soundscan was not around at all then.

womanfish said:

Eminem
Usher
Nsync
Backstreet
Nora Jones

Is that all??

Beatles sold more that 1 million with "1"...but not in its first week

From HDD:

According to early reports from national accounts, U2’s How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb (Interscope) is poised to sell over 900k in its first week, with a solid shot at reaching a million before the holiday weekend is over. It’s almost enough to give one, uh, vertigo.

Of course, U2 is ordinarily no sales slouch, with some 125 million albums worldwide to their credit, but the band's last album, 2000’s All That You Can’t Leave Behind (Interscope) sold 428k in its first week, meaning demand for this one has ramped up significantly. (Translation: “Apple apple iPod apple iPod, apple iPod iPod apple.”)

One new factor likely to help drive U2’s opening number up is that Best Buy will begin selling Bomb for $7.99 (along with some other titles) on Friday.

the best selling rock album in first week sales is (i'm not lying) Limp Bizkit's Chocolate Starfish cd. it sold something like 1.2 mil in it's first week. talk about flavor of the week. there last album only sold 300k it's first week.

Any word on 2nd day sales?

This album will sell a million copies this week.

Theflyshades04 said:
the best selling rock album in first week sales is (i'm not lying) Limp Bizkit's Chocolate Starfish cd. it sold something like 1.2 mil in it's first week. talk about flavor of the week. there last album only sold 300k it's first week.

damn it, you're right. That sucks.

Do Limp Bizkit count as rock? When trying to avoid classifying them as total shit, I've always thought of them as being harder than rock.

Re: Re: Could U2 set Rock sales record???

Dima said:

Beatles sold more that 1 million with "1"...but not in its first week

"1" sold a LOT more than one million - try 9 million in the U.S. ;)

And, actually, I think it did surpass 1 million sold in its first week. I also think one of Creed's albums sold over a million its first week as well.

Re: Re: Re: Could U2 set Rock sales record???

doctorwho said:

"1" sold a LOT more than one million - try 9 million in the U.S. ;)

And, actually, I think it did surpass 1 million sold in its first week. I also think one of Creed's albums sold over a million its first week as well.

i meant in 1 week of course :) ..and i bet that it wasn't its first week :) (...i think it was somethinmg like christmas or thnxgiving week)

I think Dima is right. I remember it selling like 500 to 700k a week for a pretty long run, but one of the weeks leading up to Christmas it went over a million.

After looking at the list of artists that have done the million in a week thing. I kinda don't want to see U2 in that list. Shit, pretty much reads like a whose who of complete crap. (Beatles and Norah Jones exluded)

If I'm not mistaken Pearl Jam's "Vs." Held the record for about 5 years (93-98) and since then it has been broken numerous times.

I know at one time it was the fastest selling album period (all genres), in America (soundscan era) and of course that was broken several times since 98/99.

But the fact that the record stood for about 5 years says a lot about how big that album was back in fall of 93.

U2DMfan said:
If I'm not mistaken Pearl Jam's "Vs." Held the record for about 5 years (93-98) and since then it has been broken numerous times.

I know at one time it was the fastest selling album period (all genres), in America (soundscan era) and of course that was broken several times since 98/99.

But the fact that the record stood for about 5 years says a lot about how big that album was back in fall of 93.

Pearl Jam actually sold 1.3 to 1.4 million that first week, but since Soundscan was only up and running in about 75% of stores in the fall of 1993, the Soundscan figure was around 950,000.

It would be cool if Billboard would list all the albums that sold 1,000,000 or more in their first week on the chart.

Back
Top Bottom