Complete List of U2's Grammy Victories

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

doctorwho

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
My TARDIS - currently located in Valparaiso, IN
I posted this in the EYKIW forum, but I felt it deserves a spot here as well for obvious reasons.

Oddly enough, I've heard all sorts of numbers tossed about for U2's Grammy Award total - even from the Grammy web site. I've kept a running total and had them at 22 - but many sites listed 20 or 21. U2 have indeed won 22 Grammy's.

Prior to the release of ATYCLB, U2 had won 7 Grammy's, including one Album of the Year. ATYCLB brought in 7 additional Grammy's over a 2 year period. That made it 14. "Vertigo" won all three awards for which it was nominated last year. That's 17. Then U2 won five awards this past week. That's 22 total. These include awards for video, but do not include awards for producer.

Here is the full list:

1. Album Of The Year 1987 - 30th Annual GRAMMY Awards - The Joshua Tree
2. Best Rock Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocal 1987 - 30th Annual GRAMMY Awards - The Joshua Tree
3. Best Rock Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocal 1988 - 31st Annual GRAMMY Awards - Desire
4. Best Performance Music Video 1988 - 31st Annual GRAMMY Awards - Where The Streets Have No Name
5. Best Rock Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocal 1992 - 35th Annual GRAMMY Awards - Achtung Baby
6. Best Alternative Music Album 1993 - 36th Annual GRAMMY Awards - Zooropa
7. Video, Long Form 1994 - 37th Annual GRAMMY Awards Zoo TV - Live From Sidney
8. Record Of The Year 2000 - 43rd Annual GRAMMY Awards - Beautiful Day
9. Song Of The Year 2000 - 43rd Annual GRAMMY Awards - Beautiful Day
10. Best Rock Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocal 2000 - 43rd Annual GRAMMY Awards - Beautiful Day
11. Record Of The Year 2001 - 44th Annual GRAMMY Awards - Walk On
12. Best Pop Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocal 2001 - 44th Annual GRAMMY Awards - Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of
13. Best Rock Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocal 2001 - 44th Annual GRAMMY Awards - Elevation
14. Best Rock Album 2001 - 44th Annual GRAMMY Awards - All That You Can't Leave Behind
15. Best Rock Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocal 2004 - 47th Annual GRAMMY Awards - Vertigo
16. Best Short Form Music Video 2004 - 47th Annual GRAMMY Awards – Vertigo
17. Best Rock Song 2004 – 47th Annual GRAMMY Awards - Vertigo
18. Album Of The Year 2005 - 48th Annual GRAMMY Awards - How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb
19. Song Of The Year 2005 – 48th Annual GRAMMY Awards - Sometimes You Can’t Make It On Your Own
20. Best Rock Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocal 2005 – 48th Annual GRAMMY Awards - Sometimes You Can’t Make It On Your Own
21. Best Rock Song 2005 – 48th Annual GRAMMY Awards - City of Blinding Lights
22. Best Rock Album 2005 – 48th Annual GRAMMY Awards - How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb

That second one is supposed to read "Best Rock Performance..." - some how the "Best Rock" part got cut off (I asked a mod to correct it.) Basically, it's the equivalent to "Rock Album of the Year". So just three awards for JT, one being a video. I imagine if JT was released today, it would get the amount ATYCLB and HTDAAB received.

davidtpark said:
why is number 5 an album and not a single?

Back then you could be nominated either for an album or a single in that catagory. This meant that an album or albums could compete with singles for the same award.

STING2 said:

Back then you could be nominated either for an album or a single in that catagory. This meant that an album or albums could compete with singles for the same award.

How nuts is that?!

Well, the producers do not have to be nominated for a single album. This year, Steve Lillywhite won a Grammy both for his work on How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb and his work on Mr. A-Z by Jason Mraz.

Popmartijn said:
Well, the producers do not have to be nominated for a single album. This year, Steve Lillywhite won a Grammy both for his work on How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb and his work on Mr. A-Z by Jason Mraz.

That Mraz album must've been amazingly produced, because HTDAAB is full of production flaws. Definitely not a deserving winner there.

U2Girl1978 said:
Ok, not to sound like an idiot but why is Record of the Year and Album of the Year two separate categories? I'm confused about this. Aren't they the same? :der: :reject:

No, album of the year is for an album and record of the year is for a single song.

MadelynIris said:
where does this put U2 in the most grammies ever won rank? Number 2 I think. Not sure.

Here are the all time top Grammy winners:

George Solti 31
Quincy Jones 27
Pierre Boulez 25
Vladimir Horowitz 25
Stevie Wonder 24
U2 22
Henry Mancini 20
Alison Krauss 20
Ray Charles 17
Leonard Bernstein 16
Eric Clapton 16
Aretha Franklin 16
Vince Gill 16
Pat Metheny 16
Robert Shaw 16
Paul Simon/Art Garfunkel 16
Sting/Police 16
Yo-Yo Ma 15
Itzhak Perlman15
Al Schmitt 15
Chet Atkins 14
David Foster 14
James Mallinson 14
Jimmy Sturr 14

I'm convinced that U2 are the only artist to win a total of 15 Grammy awards from two consecutive albums.

Didn´t Steve Wonder take home a couple of awards last wednesday?
I may be wrong tough.

STING2 said:

Here are the all time top Grammy winners:

George Solti 31
Quincy Jones 27
Pierre Boulez 25
Vladimir Horowitz 25
Stevie Wonder 24
U2 22
Henry Mancini 20
Alison Krauss 20
Ray Charles 17
Leonard Bernstein 16
Eric Clapton 16
Aretha Franklin 16
Vince Gill 16
Pat Metheny 16
Robert Shaw 16
Paul Simon/Art Garfunkel 16
Sting/Police 16
Yo-Yo Ma 15
Itzhak Perlman15
Al Schmitt 15
Chet Atkins 14
David Foster 14
James Mallinson 14
Jimmy Sturr 14

I'm convinced that U2 are the only artist to win a total of 15 Grammy awards from two consecutive albums.

fedeu2 said:
Didn´t Steve Wonder take home a couple of awards last wednesday?
I may be wrong tough.

He sure did, and his total went up from 22 to 24.

STING2 said:

No, album of the year is for an album and record of the year is for a single song.

Along those lines...

U2 have some special Grammy honors.

Sting2, perhaps you can research this more, but to the best of my knowledge, only a token few other artists ever took home back-to-back Record of the Year honors. This is a very high honor, up there with the big three (Album, Record and Song).

Also, U2 are one of a handful of artists to win more than one Album of the Year award. This is truly a rare feat and I'm glad U2 secured it with HTDAAB (something they should have done with AB and/or ATYCLB).

Alright, so what's the difference between Record Of The Year and Song Of The Year?

DoctorWho: Do you have a list of the noms they lost? I know of three:

Album of the Year: Achtung Baby
Album of the Year: ATYCLB
Rock Album: Pop

Thanks!

guill said:
Has HTDAAB received the highest number of Grammys for an album ?

That is hard to say. I know Thriller got at least 8 Grammy awards like HTDAAB has and that Norah Jones and Santana also got 8 or more Grammy awards for their albums. I'm not sure what the record is.

bsp77 said:
DoctorWho: Do you have a list of the noms they lost? I know of three:

Album of the Year: Achtung Baby
Album of the Year: ATYCLB
Rock Album: Pop

Thanks!

More:

-Best Video Long Form, PopMart

Vox

doctorwho said:

Along those lines...

U2 have some special Grammy honors.

Sting2, perhaps you can research this more, but to the best of my knowledge, only a token few other artists ever took home back-to-back Record of the Year honors. This is a very high honor, up there with the big three (Album, Record and Song).

Also, U2 are one of a handful of artists to win more than one Album of the Year award. This is truly a rare feat and I'm glad U2 secured it with HTDAAB (something they should have done with AB and/or ATYCLB).

And, U2 has won Best Rock Performance by a Duo or Group With Vocal SEVEN times!

Vox

Back
Top Bottom