Comparison Between Hits and SoundScan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

doctorwho

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
My TARDIS - currently located in Valparaiso, IN
I've attached a chart (sorry to the non-premium members) that shows the sales for the Top 5 artists this week (for U.S. album charts ending Nov. 23rd) as listed on Hits Daily Double and SoundScan.

As expected, there are differences. However, the Hits and SoundScan numbers are all within 7% or less of each other - and in some cases perfect.

Therefore, in lieu of SoundScan data, I feel the Hits figures will give us a good idea of overall HTDAAB's sales - until it falls from the Top 50. We can estimate after that based on past charts.

Attachments

• nov. 23, 2004 hits and soundscan chart.jpg
    nov. 23, 2004 hits and soundscan chart.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 47
I copied this from another post I wrote.

Here is the comparison for this past week.

I made a chart comparing the Top 20 artists for this past week, showing both Hits and Soundscan numbers (where available). The Top 16 artists are listed in the table below.

Nov.%2030%202004.jpg

As shown by the table, once again Hits' numbers are very close to SoundScan's numbers. The largest error is with "Crunk Juice", which is a little over 10%. All the other albums have the two values well within 5% of each other - including U2's HTDAAB (a scant 0.13% difference between Hits and SoundScan).

In other words, barring a token exception, it seems Hits numbers are very reliable for estimating overall sales. We can use them until HTDAAB falls out of the Top 50, then we can estimate based on past data from there.

Very nice......with the new tour, etc...we should be able to track the new album for quite some time. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom