colplay tour numbers in usa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

monai2

Acrobat
some numbers from usa tour,is it a problem if u2 dont sell out stadiums

50 Coldplay, Pete Yorn, Howling Bells Lakewood Amphitheatre
Atlanta, Ga.
May 17, 2009
$801,194
14,071 /
1 /
$97.50, $35
Live Nation

62 Coldplay, Pete Yorn, Howling Bells Nissan Pavilion at Stone Ridge
Bristow, Va.
May 21, 2009
$624,814
14,157 /
1 /
$97.50, $35
Live Nation

70 Coldplay, Pete Yorn, Howling Bells Verizon Wireless Amphitheater
Virginia Beach, Va.
May 20, 2009
$447,086
15,877 /
1 /
$97.50, $3.60
Live Nation

I'm not quite sure what these numbers mean.

All I know is they are playing here next week and they are still advertising tickets. It's sad when a band is chalked up to be the next biggest band and they can't sell out arenas...

is it a problem if u2 dont sell out stadiums

"wont sell out stadiums"? or "will play to half empty stadiums"? because one is not a problem, the other, if it'll be more than 1-2 stadiums, is a problem.

as for Coldplay, those numbers don't look all that bad, they just show Coldplay is still a long way before they can be "comparable" to U2.

some numbers from usa tour,is it a problem if u2 dont sell out stadiums

50 Coldplay, Pete Yorn, Howling Bells Lakewood Amphitheatre
Atlanta, Ga.
May 17, 2009
$801,194
14,071 /
1 /
$97.50, $35
Live Nation

62 Coldplay, Pete Yorn, Howling Bells Nissan Pavilion at Stone Ridge
Bristow, Va.
May 21, 2009
$624,814
14,157 /
1 /
$97.50, $35
Live Nation

70 Coldplay, Pete Yorn, Howling Bells Verizon Wireless Amphitheater
Virginia Beach, Va.
May 20, 2009
$447,086
15,877 /
1 /
$97.50, $3.60
Live Nation

Remember though, Coldplay has already played two sellout arena shows in the Washington DC area which is where the above Bristow, VA concert takes place. They have also already played two arena shows in Atlanta prior to the Atlanta date above. In terms of concert attendance Coldplay are roughly where U2 was on the Unforgettable Fire Tour back in 1985.

Remember though, Coldplay has already played two sellout arena shows in the Washington DC area which is where the above Bristow, VA concert takes place. They have also already played two arena shows in Atlanta prior to the Atlanta date above. In terms of concert attendance Coldplay are roughly where U2 was on the Unforgettable Fire Tour back in 1985.

Shouldn´t they be on a similar position U2 was on the JT tour? Judging from album sales and hype I mean. After all, they´re frequently dubbed as "biggest band on earth". I know those statements are ludicrous though.

everytime i see the word Coldplay, i imagine this wonderful alternate universe where Doves blew up in the year 2000 instead of Coldplay. then again, would Doves be as special to me now if they were as big as Coldplay?

buddy of mine is a big fan. bought a bunch of us tickets so I will be seeing them live next Friday in my hometown. I've heard good and bad things about their live performances. My impression from what I've read is that they're pretty boring, even if Martin does start doing his Bono dancing :)

Now if I can just get these same friends (and my g/f) to go with me to U2 in the summer!!!! Would be great to show them a real concert experience.

I saw them in Rotterdam a few months ago and they were better than I anticipated. They'll be back in NL for 2 bigger shows in Goffert Park and both were sold out pretty quickly. I think 50.000 each. That's where U2 did Zoo TV: Zooropa in 1993.

Shouldn´t they be on a similar position U2 was on the JT tour? Judging from album sales and hype I mean. After all, they´re frequently dubbed as "biggest band on earth". I know those statements are ludicrous though.

In terms of concert attendance, they are only performing at best about where U2 was on the Unforgettable Fire Tour. The Joshua Tree Tour featured massive stadium shows across the world, including 20 stadium shows in North America, including the 5 largest U2 shows ever in North America, up until U2 360.

I saw them in Rotterdam a few months ago and they were better than I anticipated. They'll be back in NL for 2 bigger shows in Goffert Park and both were sold out pretty quickly. I think 50.000 each. That's where U2 did Zoo TV: Zooropa in 1993.

U2 did 4 stadium shows in the Netherlands back in 1993. Demand for them in the United States is still not strong enough to fill or sellout any stadium shows even in the big cities. But they are doing very well in the Arena's.

to be a bit more precise:

1) Goffert Park in Nijmegen is really a park, it can accomodate about 50.000, but I've yet to hear of a sold out concert there. Pearl Jam, Metallica, the Stones, G'nR they all did shows there in the last few years, but never sold out. Some idiot quoted 60.000 for RHCP, but that's clearly wrong. What probably happened for Coldplay is that they initially sold tickets on the basis of only 30.000 capacity, by adding some secondary speakers midway they can easily expand capacity, but that's no guarantee that goldplay will get 2*50.000

2) technically U2 didn't play Nijmegen for ZooTV, for ZooTV they played Ahoy in Rotterdam: 1*12000, same venue as LoveTown (4 times), and TUF (2 times)
U2 did 4 stadium shows in the Netherlands back in 1993

Nope, 5 stadium size shows!

For Zooropa they played Nijmegen (Aug. end of the tour) but they started the tour at the Feyenoord Stadium, in Rotterdam (4*50.000, same venue as TJT, 2times)

for reference:

PopMart 2*50.000 at Feyenoord Stadium
Elevation 3*30.000 at Gelredome Stadium, Arnhem
Vertigo 3*45.000 at the Amsterdam Arena
360 2*45.000 at the Amsterdam Arena

As for goldplay, I don't really care, but they already added that second show back in dec 08 and it's still not sold out, which doesn't surprise me as they did Ahoy twice, at the end of last year.

For Zooropa they played Nijmegen (Aug. end of the tour) but they started the tour at the Feyenoord Stadium, in Rotterdam (4*50.000, same venue as TJT, 2times)

No, it was 4 stadium shows. They played only 3 concerts at the Feyenoord Stadium (9, 10 & 11 May 1993), not 4. Add to that the one at Goffert Park and you have 4 stadium shows.

to be a bit more precise:

1) Goffert Park in Nijmegen is really a park, it can accomodate about 50.000, but I've yet to hear of a sold out concert there. Pearl Jam, Metallica, the Stones, G'nR they all did shows there in the last few years, but never sold out. Some idiot quoted 60.000 for RHCP, but that's clearly wrong. What probably happened for Coldplay is that they initially sold tickets on the basis of only 30.000 capacity, by adding some secondary speakers midway they can easily expand capacity, but that's no guarantee that goldplay will get 2*50.000

Coldplay was officially sold out for 2 nights but then they added new tickets, just like U2 did for the coming 360 shows for the Arena. Your numbers for Goffert Park may or may not be correct, I don't know. I don't like Goffert Park btw. Saw U2 there, not going there again.

2) technically U2 didn't play Nijmegen for ZooTV,

Yes, they did. The 1993 tour was officially called Zoo TV: Zooropa, exactly what I called it in my original post. I don't mind being corrected, but only if I'm wrong.

for ZooTV they played Ahoy in Rotterdam: 1*12000, same venue as LoveTown (4 times), and TUF (2 times)

Ahoy was in 1992 and not labeled Zooropa.

Again not correct. They played Feyenoord Stadium (or De Kuip as we call it) only 3 times, the first date was a dress rehearsal and certainly not played for 50.000 people.

As for goldplay, I don't really care, but they already added that second show back in dec 08 and it's still not sold out, which doesn't surprise me as they did Ahoy twice, at the end of last year.

See my earlier remark.

Btw I don't think Coldplay is anywhere near U2's class, but they do sell well here, put on a good show (I saw them in Ahoy) and the latest show reviews have been raving. They might get bigger if their next album is any good.

the first date was a dress rehearsal and certainly not played for 50.000 people.

slip of the keyboard, you're right.

ZooTV v Zooropa is a technicality. I really make the distinction between the first Euro indoor shows and the Zooropa tour later on. The fact hat they only played one Ahoy show for ZooTV says it all.

360 2*65.000 at the Amsterdam Arena

we'll see if they manage over 50.000. The stage should allow them to maximise stadium capacity, but at the expense of capacity on the pitch.

Press releases talked about 60.000 per show sold on the first day of sale, I saw another one (can't find it anymore) which specified 124.000 tickets sold for Amsterdam. More tickets were released after that. A quick count shows about 500-1000 tickets still available for each show - you can select the seats you want on the LN site.

I'm not sure by what you mean with "The fact hat they only played one Ahoy show for ZooTV says it all." In fact, I don't have a clue as to what you're pointing at.

But maybe this is not what the OP was after: we're discussing NL (me bad) and this was supposed to be about the USA.

Back
Top Bottom