Chart Progress Week 4: Good News!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tkramer

War Child
Vertigo jumps into the top 40 this week, moving up to #39. This marks their first US top 40 hit since Beautiful Day. More numbers to come....

Hot 100: from #44 to #39

Digital chart: #4 again. but billboard indicates it as a stronger 4 than last week (this will be higher next week I think)

Modern Rock: #2 again, but billboard indicates it as a stronger 2 than last week

Adult top 40: from #19 to #18

Mainstream Rock: from #10 to #6

This is excellent news. Being in the Top 40 means that Vertigo will automatically break into a lot of the Top 40 countdowns that are played on many stations across the country. It opens the song up to a whole new crowd.

The i-tunes commercial is no doubt making an impact....

Zoocoustic said:
This is excellent news. Being in the Top 40 means that Vertigo will automatically break into a lot of the Top 40 countdowns that are played on many stations across the country. It opens the song up to a whole new crowd.

The i-tunes commercial is no doubt making an impact....

My thoughts exactly. Think of all the new fans that could come out of this. The I-tunes thing is the best biz move they've ever made with a song promotion.

I hate that Billboard doesn't allow us to see all the different charts. Like I know it's on the top 100 airplay. (was 41 last week). I wonder what it is at now.

U2Fan101 said:
I hate that Billboard doesn't allow us to see all the different charts. Like I know it's on the top 100 airplay. (was 41 last week). I wonder what it is at now.

You can see it, you just need to pay for it. Honestly they give a lot of free content for a biz that relies on people to pay for this stuff to survive.

This is all pretty good. I had the sense that the tune had been falling off a bit in the last week, iTunes ad notwithstanding. I guess I was quite wrong.

Luckily I live in a town with a lot of good bookstores (even work in one myself), so I've been able to read Billboard cover to cover for yrs on a weekly basis.

Don't have a scanner though, sorry:(

The fact that the TV commercial was able to give the band only a 5 point jump shows the extent to which Top 40 radio is STILL indifferent. However, as has been said, by being played in Top 40 countdowns forces many of these stations to air it at least once. There is no way that they can avoid it in the future.

Isn't it doing better than BD was at at this point? They'd be stupid NOT to count 1-Tunes as it is becoming a huge income generator for the industry.

Last edited:
Teta040 said:
Isn't it doing better than BD was at at this point?

I don't remember the specifics for BD, but I remember it took a LONG time to hit it's peak of #21.

BD wasn't very popular when it came out in I believe September or October 2000...it got some airplay, but not much. Then, when it was nominated for the 3 grammy's it started moving up. It wasn't until after it won the grammy's that it hit it's peak of #21 (probably around February or March 2001).

Relatively speaking, Vertigo is kicking BD's butt.

Guys, remember, the lead single often simmers for a bit and then after the video comes out, it gets expanded release to top 40 radio, and the album comes out and sells well is when the song really will hit its peak.

Billboard weekly update
Oct. 30, 2004

Top Pop Catalog Albums - Best Of 1980-90 - #19
http://www.billboard.com/bb/charts/popcat.jsp

The Billboard Hot 100 - Vertigo - #39
Hot 100 Airplay - Vertigo - #39
Top Digital Tracks - Vertigo - #4
Modern Rock Tracks - Vertigo - #2
Mainstream Rock Tracks - Vertigo - #6
Adult Top 40 - Vertigo - #18

Back
Top Bottom