Can U2 sold out an US stadium tour?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mirrorball06

The Fly
I read an article from The Mirror wich gives a plan for the upcoming tour. A full stadium tour in Europe during the summer and then a US stadium tour in the fall. And we all know how dissapointing U2's last US stadium tour during Popmart was. Not even halve of these shows sells out. And with the so far dissapointing GOYB there I think the same thing would happen again. That stadiums there are not being sold out. But of course let's wait and see when NLOTH came out.

However, the tour starts in Europe and if this one is a succes and the Americans would read the reviews then they go and see the shows are they?

By the way here is the article http://www.atu2.com/news/article.src?ID=5217

It's nowhere comparable with popmart now. That had multiple reasons why it was sold so badly.

I'd say, they can sell out easily.

I don't know to be honest-- I think it would have to be scaled back from Popmart to work.

I still don't think doing a stadium tour in the US makes sense because you are required to use seats in the US, no?

The only thing I can think of is that U2 wants to do a shorter tour (ie no going to New York 7 times and Boston 5 times, etc) so that they can get back to work on the next album a little faster.

I think they can sell out stadiums. But it also depends on the album too. I would rather see them in the intimate setting of the arenas, but they have to go back to stadiums sometime in the U.S.

I have never had the opportunity to see U2 live, and I am hoping they do visit a few arenas, because I could never imagine them doing a stadium show in Dallas, if they even do a show here, considering the economic climate. But if I have to fly to New York, so shall it be!!!

I think that tickets will sell well.
However, whether tickets sell out will likely depend on the strength of the album. :reject:
Plus, with the economy in such bad shape :hmm:
I was actually hoping they would do arenas in the U.S. -- it's definitely a much more intimate setting.

If I was U2 I wouldnt step foot in the stadium in Montreal since the roof is caving in :)

They can pull off a sold out stadium tour for sure, there are cities that had a ton of shows during Vertigo, I think they could play a smaller number of major venues during the first US leg, and come back with an arena show during the winter/spring 2010 and play more cities.

I agree.....they have many listeners, here in the states. For the northern and mid-atlantic regions, Late spring and summer months would be good. Less chances of snow.

We in Boston certainly love them, and would love to see 7 shows this time around like on Vertigo :hyper:

Well, selling out multiple shows in arenas doesn't necessarily mean that one can sell out shows in stadiums in the same market. Lots of people like going to arena shows and absolutely hate stadium concerts.

Plus, with the economy in the horrible state it's in right now, I'm not sure a stadium-only tour in the US is the best way to go. If the album performs as well as HTDAAB in the US, then I think they'll have a shot, but even then... the American economy is not going to cooperate one bit, I imagine.

They should do what Madonna and the Police did in the American legs of their tours, which was to play mostly arenas and throw in some 5 or 6 stadium shows.

Back
Top Bottom