Can 1st week sales of new Coldplay album (X&Y) match those of HTDAAB?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ybird3k said:
Coldplays X&Y this week in UK 44,600 (Total: 1,068,768),

and its already sold slightly more than bomb

nah, Bomb is still 100K ahead...sorry, i was in such a rush i wrote the wrong numbers down in week 35 thread!! :banghead:

Last edited:
Coldplays total after 8 weeks: 4,783 k
Bomb after 8 weeks: 6,004 k

(both includes the pre-sales from Japan).

So it's still a long way for Coldplay to outsell the bomb !!

As Sting2 previously pointed out, the post-Christmas weeks are typically very low in sales, so it´s no surprise X&Y is performing better than the bomb now.
I reckon Coldplay will need a monster single off X&Y (like Green Day´s Boulevard of broken dreams) for sales to match those of HTDAAB. We all know Coldplay are not a big draw in terms of concert sales so the effect of the tour on album sales won´t be nothing like Vertigo tour on HTDAAB.

Let´s see what happens with Fix you, one of the strongest tracks in the album.

fitz said:
Coldplays total after 8 weeks: 4,783 k
Bomb after 8 weeks: 6,004 k

(both includes the pre-sales from Japan).

So it's still a long way for Coldplay to outsell the bomb !!

What we OFFICIALLY know about sales across the world i think is from only 3 countries: USA, UK Japan.In this countries we have:
Bomb= 2,800,000+1,160,000+250,000=4,210,000
X&Y=1,800,000+1,100,000+125,000=3,025,000

mosquito said:
What we OFFICIALLY know about sales across the world i think is from only 3 countries: USA, UK Japan.In this countries we have:

...but we can be a bit more accurate with the figures :

Bomb = 2,823,952 (US) + 1,172,000 (UK) + 250,000 (Japan) = 4,245,952

X&Y = 1,764,800 (US) + 1,130,000 (UK) + 125,000 (Japan) = 3,019,800

Last edited:
If Bombs longitivity on the charts were anything as impressive as the longitivity of this forum, then we would all be happy.:wink:

Seriously though, its great to see both these albums doing well globally.

mosquito said:

There are official sales for all of EUROPE from the IFPI. Go to www.ifpi.org. Its true that it only list certifications for each 1 million in sales, so the figures are not exact but they do give an excellant indication on what total sales are in Europe.

Right now:

Coldplay X&Y: 2 million

U2 "BOMB": 3 million

BOMB was certified for 3 million in sales back in December and is closing in on the 4 million mark. X&Y was just recently certified for 2 million in sales.

In addition, www.cria.ca has sales for Canada. U2 was certified for 400,000 for sales of BOMB back in December and is closing in on the 500,000 mark. Coldplay X&Y has yet to be certified yet.

According to Hits, X&Y sold 58,991 (-8%) this week in the US. The bomb only sold 32,714 (-20%) in week 9.

how did X&Y fall 8% in the US, and its global sales remained the same despite this?

nice to see bomb still 1million ahead after 10 weeks, but i now think that x&y will outsell bomb.:sad:

I don't think X&Y will outsell the bomb, the million sales gap, seems big enough to secure the bomb more sales. But the main decider will be if one of them wins a few at the grammys.

edge3 said:

...by around 41% to 46,500 - that's about 13,000 more than last week

41%!!,

could that be due to the huge amoutn of airplay their new single 'fix you' is getting?

i think that coldplay are the most over rated band of all time. they are nothing special, but every1 (in the UK) is treating them as if there the biggest band there has ever been.

Although i like coldplay,they seem to be getting far more airplay than they merit,but they are only in their late twenty's.It would be interesting to see if U2 brought out 'fix you' what the response from various radio station's would be.U2 have to battle the odd's because of their age,which is extremly unfair,if chris martin can write a song like SOMETIMES YOU CAN'T MAKE IT ON YOUR OWN when in his 40's i would be amazed and pleasently so

seeing as coldplay will never be able to change their music / style, due to their lack of ability, another album or 2 and everone will (should) be bored of them.

Coldplay seem to be on their way to being the world's biggest band,especially if they get their next album out before U2 do,but by the time they hit late 30's they'll be struggling for airplay and that's 10 year's away,just imagine what bono and the boy's will have to do then to get on radio

ybird3k said:

41%!!,

could that be due to the huge amoutn of airplay their new single 'fix you' is getting?

i think it's 41% : X&Y sold around 33K last week, the James Blunt album sold 84,762 this week & that outsold X&Y by 81.4%.

X&Y definitly increased this week though & Fix You does indeed seem to be helping.

claytons edge said:
Coldplay seem to be on their way to being the world's biggest band,especially if they get their next album out before U2 do,but by the time they hit late 30's they'll be struggling for airplay and that's 10 year's away,just imagine what bono and the boy's will have to do then to get on radio

Coldplay are far away from being the biggest band in the world when you consider their concert drawing ability. Here in the United States, they are struggling to sellout shows at venues that typically hold no more than 20,000 people. Their ticket prices are low, around 30 dollars to 35 dollars for most tickets. These are small numbers compared to U2 that charges an average of 100 dollars a ticket and sells out nearly every venue on the day tickets are put on sell. U2 have just completed the highest GROSSING tour in European history as well as the fastest selling tour in European history. In addition, the current results of the Arena tour in North America show that the band should have been booked in Stadiums here. While Coldplay did play some big shows in the UK, I've heard their stadium show in the Netherlands had less than 30,000 people.

Coldplay may be close to equaling U2 in album sales of the latest released album, but when it comes to concert drawing power, when attendance and then price are considered, U2 is ahead of Coldplay in North America by a ratio of 10 to 1, and in Europe its probably at least 5 to 1 if not more.

sting2 i said their on the way and let's be straight they are,not now,but if U2 are bigger than coldplay in 4 year's i'll be amazed,so there you go and if your being honest so will you

Hmm, I have a friend who was at Live 8 and he told me that when Coldplay went on stage the public response was nothing like when U2 came out. By the way, Coldplay performance sucked.
I like Coldplay but as others have already stated, they´re so overrated. Then again, Radiohead (who I like a lot) are also kind of overrated by the UK media so go figure.

ybird3k said:

41%!!,

i think that coldplay are the most over rated band of all time. they are nothing special, but every1 (in the UK) is treating them as if there the biggest band there has ever been.

I think Coldplay will be a flash in the pan much like Oasis were back in the mid-late nineties.
It´s only their third album and there are already signs of artistic stagnation, again, very similar to Oasis´Be here now.

claytons edge said:
sting2 i said their on the way and let's be straight they are,not now,but if U2 are bigger than coldplay in 4 year's i'll be amazed,so there you go and if your being honest so will you

claytons edge said:

In four years time, Coldplay will have just started been on tour for a few months for the next album that comes out after X&Y. It took Coldplay almost 3 years to follow up AROBTTH. The point being, one more album and tour are not going to vault Coldplay past U2, especially when U2's concert drawing power is ahead of Coldplay's by a margin of 10 to 1.

Right now, a band like Green Day is ahead of Coldplay. Green Day's latest album has sold more than any Coldplay album and while they charge roughly the same price for concerts, Green Day sells out and has moved to Stadium sized venues in some of the big cities. But even Green Day has a very long way to go if they want to be the biggest band in the world. Sure, both artist are selling enough albums of the current release, but concert drawing ability is light years behind what it should be if they really want to be in contention for the "title". Plus, its going to take a lot more than just one album and tour post X&Y/American Idiot for these two bands to close such a massive gap.

STING2 everybody know's U2 are the concert draw and they will continue to that for 4-5 year's at most with top class material,but when it come's to selling album's coldplay will win,that's all i'm saying,simply because of the industry,U2 need something massive now,coldplay don't.It's 27 something's against 44 something's,you put that to a radio producer an he'l laugh

Back
Top Bottom