Can 1st week sales of new Coldplay album (X&Y) match those of HTDAAB?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
fedeu2 said:
I know, I know, we cannot really compare sales between Bomb and X&Y but I just couldn´t resist! :)

Why not?
Coldplay just could wait to release X&Y in november, like U2 did last years with HTDAAB.
It's right, you can sell more discs during christmas time, but only if you're strong enough...
So, I'm not so sure that if X&Y was releases in november would sold more than HTDAAB...

I can see your point.
However, I do think that had Coldplay released X&Y during the Holidays season, sales would have matched those of HTDAAB.
Now that the hype around X&Y is over, it will be interesting to see the staying power of the album.
I can see it lingering in the US Top 100 for a while, if they release the right singles and promote them accordingly, instead of what those morons at Interscope and PM have done with the singles off bomb.
Based on the success of Green Day´s American Idiot, anything is possible.

VALE69 said:

Why not?
Coldplay just could wait to release X&Y in november, like U2 did last years with HTDAAB.
It's right, you can sell more discs during christmas time, but only if you're strong enough...
So, I'm not so sure that if X&Y was releases in november would sold more than HTDAAB...

fedeu2 said:
Now that the hype around X&Y is over, it will be interesting to see the staying power of the album.
I can see it lingering in the US Top 100 for a while, if they release the right singles and promote them accordingly, instead of what those morons at Interscope and PM have done with the singles off bomb.
Based on the success of Green Day´s American Idiot, anything is possible.

I agree with you about it!

Yeah, maybe you´re right. Although it will be a close call, both in the US and ROW.
In Europe, I´m betting the bomb will be the winner.

ybird3k said:
i think X&Y's sales are definately going to beat HTDAAB's in the US. rest of the world possibly not.

first 4 weeks on mediatraffic for X&Y 3.5million.
HTDAAB's first 4 weeks were over 4million

(not including the week which was japan sales only)

so 5:0 to bomb?

X&Y : # 2 with 84,715
Bomb : # 4 with either 157,000 or 162,000 (my calculations say 162,000)

UK Totals after 34 days :

X&Y : 991K
Bomb : 828K or 833K (my calculations say 833K + 27K in week 6)

Last edited:
X&Y 127k in the states only down 5%, looks as if its going to be doing well for some time. definate going to sell more than HTDAAB there.

at Mediatraffic in week 5: 409k

The Bomb in week 5: 827 k

Actual: 5:0 for the Bomb :wink:

Next week will be very interesting, week 6 sales of the Bomb was only 317k. So this is a good chance for Coldplay to win the next week.

KUEFC09U2 said:
wow so the new coldplay album has outsold U2's album in the U.S. :|

pretty upsetting :sad:

This is incorrect!

In the United States, the current sales total for Coldplay's X&Y is "1,510,505".

The current sales total for U2's "How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb" is "2,806,344".

Coldplay's X&Y has a long way to go to equal or exceed the sales of U2's "Atomic Bomb".

X&Y has sold about 100k (20 k after 10 % hitsdailydouble)in week 6 in the U.S.

How much did U2 sell in week 6?

is it that important how many copies does each of both bands sell? in my opinion one of the things these days that really matter are the live shows, tickets sold, the demand for tickets, etc. Of course there will be many bands or say albums that will outsold ATYCLB or HTDAAB but will they outsold JT or AB? Coldplay does sell and will sell more albums than U2`s first three did or fourth too, but times have changed. Right now any album of a globally well known group, being bad or good (in terms of reviews publish on it), can sell over a million copies or more in a relatively short period of time. But Coldplay can never reach U2 in terms of overall sales, simply because to do so they will have to change the sound of their music and bring out the things that will make them special (which is hard nowdays) in comparison to other bands - most important i don`t think they will stay together that long!!

btw tell you the truth, I haven`t listened to any of Coldplay`s albums yet, but i`m planning to (only know *radio hits*) - just to see why they deserve so much atttention on a *U2 FORUM*.

kl

Last edited:
Westblue said:
is it that important how many copies does each of both bands sell? in my opinion one of the things these days that really matter are the live shows, tickets sold, the demand for tickets, etc. Of course there will be many bands or say albums that will outsold ATYCLB or HTDAAB but will they outsold JT or AB? Coldplay does sell and will sell more albums than U2`s first three did or fourth too, but times have changed. Right now any album of a globally well known group, being bad or good (in terms of reviews publish on it), can sell over a million copies or more in a relatively short period of time. But Coldplay can never reach U2 in terms of overall sales, simply because to do so they will have to change the sound of their music and bring out the things that will make them special (which is hard nowdays) in comparison to other bands - most important i don`t think they will stay together that long!!

btw tell you the truth, I haven`t listened to any of Coldplay`s albums yet, but i`m planning to (only know *radio hits*) - just to see why they deserve so much atttention on a *U2 FORUM*.

kl

At this thread it is important. Normally it is not so important, but it is interesting to see, which band has more success. One of the greatest rock-band of all-time or the most current famous band.

I don´t think Coldplay are more famous or popular than U2 at all!
Currently, the only active band that may be more popular than U2 are the RS. And I´m not so sure about that.

T
fitz said:

At this thread it is important. Normally it is not so important, but it is interesting to see, which band has more success. One of the greatest rock-band of all-time or the most current famous band.

@fedeu2
Maybe you're right, but here in Germany there is a radio spot, in which the new Coldplay album is titled by the "actual greatest band of the world". This is the reason for this compare between U2 and Coldplay.

fitz said:
6th week: Coldplay sold 337k on MT, the Bomb sold only 317k

New result: 5:1 for the Bomb

While BOMB got a huge boost in its first 6 weeks partly because of the Christmas season, the next 3 months after the Christmas are typically the lowest sales period for albums and definitely lower than the summer months which Coldplay has released its album in.

fitz said:
@fedeu2
Maybe you're right, but here in Germany there is a radio spot, in which the new Coldplay album is titled by the "actual greatest band of the world". This is the reason for this compare between U2 and Coldplay.

How many stadiums in Germany could Coldplay sellout with attendances of 60,000 to 70,000 at the prices that U2 currently charge? I know Coldplay have soldout some smaller stadiums in the United Kingdom, but I've heard the stadium they played in the Netherlands was half empty.

@Sting2
No question, U2 is a bigger band than Coldplay. Maybe Coldplay sells more albums at the moment (but this is not sure), as a live act U2 is ten times bigger than Coldplay.

Coldplays X&Y this week in UK 44,600 (Total: 1,068,768),

and its already sold slightly more than bomb

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom