Box office figures from other tours

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2FanPeter said:

city - date - venue - gross - capacity - ticket price range

Vancouver - Dec. 31st 1996 - B.C. Place - $5,544,000 - 41,072 -53,830 - $1,450/200/65/32

Toronto - Jan. 4th 1997 - Skydome - $8,000,051 - 50,000 - 50,500 - $1,200/550/73/19

All figures in USD

Over the span of 6 or so years The 3 Tenors played 30 concerts, 14 in North America, 8 in Europe and 8 international.

Figures as posted in Billboard magazine found on microfilm at the Vancouver Central Library. Both were all-time gross records in the weeks they was published. Figures for other 3Ts shows weren't made public. Such was also the case for all Sinatra Stadium shows 1979-1994(quite a few worldwide) and Streisands dizzying monetary figures(many $2,000 tickets) for her 2 Las Vegas NYE and NYD 93/94 appearance

Notice that the Vancouver 12/31/96 Gross is lower than Toronto because they had a ticket clearance sale in the weeks before the show.

<<Italy Popmart was the largest attended single show>>(The U2 Concert Chronology also repeats this claim)

Frank Sinatra performed a single artist bill(w/ orchestra)for 175,000 at the Stadio de Maracana in Rio de Janeiro on January 26th 1980. I cannot find any numbers, but it's a well known fact that the then world biggest stadium had 168,000 seats and several thousand more were on the pitch(FS was center stage) The entire show as televised and the helicopter views are all the proof needed.

u2fp

In any event, the 3 Tenors is a multi-artist bill playing only a few select dates. If U2, Pearl Jam, and REM were to only play 30 concerts together over a 6 year span, the ticket prices would be enormous.

The POPMART tour played 93 shows worldwide and featured one artist, U2. It was a worldwide tour that attempted to play every market possible in one year, not a tiny multi-artist tour that visited only a few cities in one year. There for, you can't compare the ticket prices of the three tenors tour, because the circumstances of the three tenors tour, multi-artist and only a small number of shows, artificially increases ticket prices and cannot be compared to a normal single artist tour playing all available markets in single year.

The Rolling Stones charged the highest average ticket price for a tour in North America with the Rolling Stones Voodoo Lounge tour at nearly 50 dollars. U2's POPMART tour in North America had a slightly higher average ticket price than that when it started in the Spring of 1997. With the exception of a few shows, one off appearences and multi-artist bills, no one had ever charged $52.50 for nosebleed seats in a stadium, on a full scale stadium tour, prior to U2 doing so in early 1997.

Frank Sinatra performed to 140,000 fans at the Rio show in 1980. Billboard magazine noted that it was the 2nd highest attended show in history by a single artist.

U2FanPeter said:
Tina Turner was listed in the Guiness Book of World records for having 182,000 people at the Stadio de Maracana in 1988.

Streisand was paid an "8 figure sum"($10mil+) for her 2 Vegas concerts. 13,000 tickets went onsale with the cheapest being $350.

u2fp

The Guinness Book of World Records is not actually an accurate source for such figures. They often have many mistakes, and rarely distinguish between free shows and paying shows. Sting reportedly played multiple shows to 200,000+ people when he toured Brazil in 1987.

Are Billboard boxscores mandatory?

I ask because the 12/31/96 Vancouver 3T show was listed as a "gross record" when other shows before it would have clobbered that number. Mainly other 3T shows in NYC, several in Europe, London, Japan and Australia that happed as much as 6 months before Vancouver. I also noticed that Sinatra stadium concerts and Streisand's Vegas blow out weren't listed when I looked.

u2fp

U2FanPeter said:
Are Billboard boxscores mandatory?

I ask because the 12/31/96 Vancouver 3T show was listed as a "gross record" when other shows before it would have clobbered that number. Mainly other 3T shows in NYC, several in Europe, London, Japan and Australia that happed as much as 6 months before Vancouver. I also noticed that Sinatra stadium concerts and Streisand's Vegas blow out weren't listed when I looked.

u2fp

Billboard Boxscores come from Amusement Business which officially certifies the results. Without them, your simply going with estimated attendance and estimated gross which is often inaccurate. When Billboard Boxscore list a concert as a "GROSS RECORD" or "ATTENDANCE RECORD", it is only for that particular VENUE where the show took place, not any place else.

STING2 said:
In any event, the 3 Tenors is a multi-artist bill playing only a few select dates.

Personally, I consider 3T one 2hr performance, the same length as a Popmart show(excluding opening act) and I don't think they even had a intermission. They were promoting their live album and TV specials/videos that they had done together.

Do you also consider CSNY, Fleetwood Mac, Jacksons, Plant Page, tours to also be multi artist bills since solo material is played?

What about the late 80's Dylan-Petty or Dylan-Dead tours where the other band simply backed Dylan?

If U2, Pearl Jam, and REM were to only play 30 concerts together over a 6 year span, the ticket prices would be enormous.

Judging by availability of Hawaii 2006 tickets, probably not. Even if it it was known there would be a Green Day cameo. It was u2's first island appearance in 20 years.

The POPMART tour played 93 shows worldwide and featured one artist, U2. It was a worldwide tour that attempted to play every market possible in one year, not a tiny multi-artist tour that visited only a few cities in one year. There for, you can't compare the ticket prices of the three tenors tour, because the circumstances of the three tenors tour, multi-artist and only a small number of shows, artificially increases ticket prices and cannot be compared to a normal single artist tour playing all available markets in single year.

In June 2001 3T Played China and Korea. Have u2 ever?

3T played toured with staging even less sparse than the Joshua Tree tour. Suffice to say, all the gadgets were part of u2's live drawing power in the 1990's.

While u2 need to be applauded for visiting a half dozen new markets on Popmart, there were some they missed. NZ, Hungary had been played on U2's past tours and there's stil the question of India, Russia and Mainland China

Were Oasis's first ever Be Here Now era performances not part of the drawing power in San Fran? Primus, RageATM? (I will admit there are some seriously lacking opening acts in 1997, especially compared to ZOOTV)

The Rolling Stones charged the highest average ticket price for a tour in North America with the Rolling Stones Voodoo Lounge tour at nearly 50 dollars. U2's POPMART tour in North America had a slightly higher average ticket price than that when it started in the Spring of 1997. With the exception of a few shows, one off appearences and multi-artist bills, no one had ever charged $52.50 for nosebleed seats in a stadium, on a full scale stadium tour, prior to U2 doing so in early 1997.

The full length 1984 North American Stadium tour had the gall to sell the worst seats in the venue for $30 USD($47.12 in 1997 dollars)

That $47.12 figure(you have quoted in the "....bills" forum) was higher than the ticket average on the entire Popmart. It was also higher than the second US leg ticket price average in Oct-Dec 1997.

Frank Sinatra performed to 140,000 fans at the Rio show in 1980. Billboard magazine noted that it was the 2nd highest attended show in history by a single artist.

Which issue? I do wish to double check.

Ever seen the german "The Main event" website that has a list of all the Stadiums shows Sinatra has played? He played the headlined Superdome more times than u2!!!!

u2fp

U2FanPeter said:

Personally, I consider 3T one 2hr performance, the same length as a Popmart show(excluding opening act) and I don't think they even had a intermission. They were promoting their live album and TV specials/videos that they had done together.

Do you also consider CSNY, Fleetwood Mac, Jacksons, Plant Page, tours to also be multi artist bills since solo material is played?

What about the late 80's Dylan-Petty or Dylan-Dead tours where the other band simply backed Dylan?

Judging by availability of Hawaii 2006 tickets, probably not. Even if it it was known there would be a Green Day cameo. It was u2's first island appearance in 20 years.

In June 2001 3T Played China and Korea. Have u2 ever?

3T played toured with staging even less sparse than the Joshua Tree tour. Suffice to say, all the gadgets were part of u2's live drawing power in the 1990's.

While u2 need to be applauded for visiting a half dozen new markets on Popmart, there were some they missed. NZ, Hungary had been played on U2's past tours and there's stil the question of India, Russia and Mainland China

Were Oasis's first ever Be Here Now era performances not part of the drawing power in San Fran? Primus, RageATM? (I will admit there are some seriously lacking opening acts in 1997, especially compared to ZOOTV)

The full length 1984 North American Stadium tour had the gall to sell the worst seats in the venue for $30 USD($47.12 in 1997 dollars)

That $47.12 figure(you have quoted in the "....bills" forum) was higher than the ticket average on the entire Popmart. It was also higher than the second US leg ticket price average in Oct-Dec 1997.

Which issue? I do wish to double check.

Ever seen the german "The Main event" website that has a list of all the Stadiums shows Sinatra has played? He played the headlined Superdome more times than u2!!!!

u2fp

CSNY, Fleetwood Mac, Jacksons, Plant Page, tours were all by artist that started out together as one entity, unlike the 3 tenors which is the combining of multiple artist after long solo careers. They did not start their career as the "3 tenors" huge difference.

The Dylan-Petty and Dylan-Dead tours were definitely multi-aritst tours and were designed to benefit from the combination of the two.

You can't use U2's single Hawaii show as an example of how well a popular multi-artist tour could do if only playing a few shows like the 3 tenors. Nearly all the tickets for the Hawaii show were sold prior to Pearl Jam being announced as a concert opener. Whats more, U2 show in Hawaii is, the highest attended concert in the history of the State of Hawaii as well as being the highest grossing. How anyone could use that as an example of weakness is simply absurd, especially considering U2 had played 130 shows prior to that one on the SAME tour!

I could name several hundred places that U2 have played the the 3T never did. Considering the limited number of shows 3T did, its actually a sign of weakness that they had to go to China and South Korea.

Its been show that the gadget side of U2's 90s shows actually hurt the band rather than helped. People swarmed all over the ZOO TV tour with only the knowledge of what they heard on the album. They did not attend the tour for the production and POPMART actually shows that many people were turned off by it. People came for the music.

Oasis were brought on board in San Fran to help out with tickets for the second show. They sold 24,000 tickets for that show, not much help at all.

Most people do not know who Primus is, and Rage Against The Machine only opened a few shows in the south and did little to help improve ticket sales.

AVERAGE TICKET PRICE ON THE FIRST LEG OF THE NORTH AMERICAN POPMART TOUR WAS $49.06!!!!!!

AVERAGE TICKET PRICE ON THE SECOND LEG OF THE NORTH AMERICAN POPMART TOUR WAS $45.22!!!

1. I was only talking about North America when stating that U2's stadium ticket prices were the highest average ticket prices that had ever been seen for a stadium tour.

2. I never said that adjusting for inflation that they were the highest, but it appears that they in fact were or near that point anyway.

3. If the second leg North American tickets had sold better, the average would have been the same as the first leg. Both legs of the tour went on sale in FEBRUARY 1997 and had the same distribution in terms of ticket prices!!!!!!!!

4. The Jacksons tour NEVER played shows outside North America, so comparing it to the entire POPMART tour is absurd.

Bottom line, the 3T tour cannot be compared to POPMART because:

1. They only played a handful of shows, about 5 per year, in North America in any 1 year period compared to U2 or any major tour that plays nearly 4 dozen shows.

2. 3T is a multi artist bill

3. The boxscores you gave for Canada showed some ticket prices as low as $19 dollars?!?! Yet, those shows did not sellout!!!

As for the Sinatra Show, I can't remember which issue of Billboard it was, but it is a widely recognized fact that U2's 1997 show at Reggio Emilia is the largest attended paying show for a single artist ever. It is certainly the largest show for a single artist in amusement business's boxscore results. The burden of proof is on those who claim another show was larger.

STING2 said:
CSNY, Jacksons tours were all by artist that started out together as one entity, unlike the 3 tenors which is the combining of multiple artist after long solo careers. They did not start their career as the "3 tenors" huge difference.

Neil Young was already a name prior to his joining CSNY in late 1969 via a solo album and Buffalo Springfield. His non-CSN(Y)solo material was a primary draw when they toured in the early 70's and in the past 8 years.

Currently available in CD stores are seperate Greatest Hit CD for Neil Young, CSN and CSNY. You count this as a single act, yet 3T you consider a multi artist bill.

The Jackson 1984 strongest drawing power was Michael Off The Wall and Thriller albums. Also played on the shows was the Groups material, solo hits from the other 4 Jacksons and MJs 71-75 Motown solo material(before his voice changed).

Currently on the market are Greatest Hit's packages for MJ solo material, his Motown solo material, The Jacksons related compilations, Jackson 5 Motown compilations. outside of OTW and Thriller I'm sure similar comps were available in the early 80's. You consider this one act, but not 3T.

You can't use U2's single Hawaii show as an example of how well a popular multi-artist tour could do if only playing a few shows like the 3 tenors. Nearly all the tickets for the Hawaii show were sold prior to Pearl Jam being announced as a concert opener. Whats more, U2 show in Hawaii is, the highest attended concert in the history of the State of Hawaii as well as being the highest grossing. How anyone could use that as an example of weakness is simply absurd, especially considering U2 had played 130 shows prior to that one on the SAME tour!

It was U2's first show on US soil in a 12 month period.

I also thought that at least 10,000 tickets were added when the date was resheduled and PJ was added?

I could name several hundred places that U2 have played the the 3T never did. Considering the limited number of shows 3T did, its actually a sign of weakness that they had to go to China and South Korea.

Classical/Opera is quite big in Asia. I believe Pavarotti has professionally visited there since 70's. Is it a sign of weakness when The Rolling Stones and other western groups visit mainland Asia?

Its been show that the gadget side of U2's 90s shows actually hurt the band rather than helped. People swarmed all over the ZOO TV tour with only the knowledge of what they heard on the album. They did not attend the tour for the production and POPMART actually shows that many people were turned off by it. People came for the music.

While many fans scratched their heads at hanging Trabants or Mirrorball Lemons, they also needed to see the band members onscreens when sitting in the back of the Stadium. This was a complaint of Joshua Tree Stadium shows without screens.

Oasis were brought on board in San Fran to help out with tickets for the second show. They sold 24,000 tickets for that show, not much help at all.

U2 only played one Stadium show there in 1992, with Public Enemy and Sugarcubes opening. U2 also had 14,000+ empty seats on the second night when they played there in 1987, with The Predenders opening.

AVERAGE TICKET PRICE ON THE FIRST LEG OF THE NORTH AMERICAN POPMART TOUR WAS $49.06!!!!!!

AVERAGE TICKET PRICE ON THE SECOND LEG OF THE NORTH AMERICAN POPMART TOUR WAS $45.22!!!

Is this a sign of disinterest from 1st leg reviews or did the Canadian shows adapted pricing bring down the average?

1. I was only talking about North America when stating that U2's stadium ticket prices were the highest average ticket prices that had ever been seen for a stadium tour.

The final USD ticket average for north american Popmart was $47.74. Adjusted for inflation The Jacksons were $47.12 and Voodoo Lounge was, IIRC, just under $50.

2. I never said that adjusting for inflation that they were the highest, but it appears that they in fact were or near that point anyway.

It is important information to put everything in proper factual perspective.

3. If the second leg North American tickets had sold better, the average would have been the same as the first leg. Both legs of the tour went on sale in FEBRUARY 1997 and had the same distribution in terms of ticket prices!!!!!!!!

Were only comparing tickets that actually sold.

I'm also sure that thousands of Popmart tickets were sold between February initial onsale and December 1997. Likely in the range of 15-20% of all tickets sold.

4. The Jacksons tour NEVER played shows outside North America, so comparing it to the entire POPMART tour is absurd.

So, the comparison was only between North American tours, but The Jacksons are disqualified because it didn't play internationally?

Bottom line, the 3T tour cannot be compared to POPMART because:

1. They only played a handful of shows, about 5 per year, in North America in any 1 year period compared to U2 or any major tour that plays nearly 4 dozen shows.

2. 3T is a multi artist bill

As pointed out earler in this post, you seem to have difficulty making up your mind regarding what counts as a multi artist bill.

3. The boxscores you gave for Canada showed some ticket prices as low as $19 dollars?!?! Yet, those shows did not sellout!!!

Does this mean any Popmart show with unsold tickets is not counted?

I should also point out that any 3T ticket under $100 or over $1,000 sold out instantly in Vancouver and Toronto. It was the so-so tickets for hundreds of dollars that was the struggle. 1996 Newspaper articles repeating this would be easy to find.

As for the Sinatra Show, I can't remember which issue of Billboard it was, but it is a widely recognized fact that U2's 1997 show at Reggio Emilia is the largest attended paying show for a single artist ever. It is certainly the largest show for a single artist in amusement business's boxscore results. The burden of proof is on those who claim another show was larger.

-Is Italy 1997 the largest confirmed paying attendance single artist show? Yes.
-Highest grossing single show? Your choice between 3T or Streisand NYE
-Highest grossing rock show? Yes.
-Highest paying attendance single rock concert? Yes.

I checked Billboard magazine for the 2 months after the 1980 Sinatra show. I don't think I saw ANY show outside the North America listed.

You claimed that 1/26/80 was 140,000. The burden of proof on that number is in your hands. Judging by video footage of a full house, and according to your figure, 20-35,000 entered the enclosed Stadium without paying.

You also avoided the question I asked about whether it was mandatory to publically publish boxscore results. Full 3T, Sinatra and Streisand number seem to be hard to find. i wonder if their contract forbid such declarations. Vancouver and Toronto may have been published to squash naysayers.

u2fp

Last edited:
U2FanPeter said:

Neil Young was already a name prior to his joining CSNY in late 1969 via a solo album and Buffalo Springfield. His non-CSN(Y)solo material was a primary draw when they toured in the early 70's and in the past 8 years.

Currently available in CD stores are seperate Greatest Hit CD for Neil Young, CSN and CSNY. You count this as a single act, yet 3T you consider a multi artist bill.

The Jackson 1984 strongest drawing power was Michael Off The Wall and Thriller albums. Also played on the shows was the Groups material, solo hits from the other 4 Jacksons and MJs 71-75 Motown solo material(before his voice changed).

Currently on the market are Greatest Hit's packages for MJ solo material, his Motown solo material, The Jacksons related compilations, Jackson 5 Motown compilations. outside of OTW and Thriller I'm sure similar comps were available in the early 80's. You consider this one act, but not 3T.

It was U2's first show on US soil in a 12 month period.

I also thought that at least 10,000 tickets were added when the date was resheduled and PJ was added?

Classical/Opera is quite big in Asia. I believe Pavarotti has professionally visited there since 70's. Is it a sign of weakness when The Rolling Stones and other western groups visit mainland Asia?

While many fans scratched their heads at hanging Trabants or Mirrorball Lemons, they also needed to see the band members onscreens when sitting in the back of the Stadium. This was a complaint of Joshua Tree Stadium shows without screens.

U2 only played one Stadium show there in 1992, with Public Enemy and Sugarcubes opening. U2 also had 14,000+ empty seats on the second night when they played there in 1987, with The Predenders opening.

Is this a sign of disinterest from 1st leg reviews or did the Canadian shows adapted pricing bring down the average?

The final USD ticket average for north american Popmart was $47.74. Adjusted for inflation The Jacksons were $47.12 and Voodoo Lounge was, IIRC, just under $50.

It is important information to put everything in proper factual perspective.

Were only comparing tickets that actually sold.

I'm also sure that thousands of Popmart tickets were sold between February initial onsale and December 1997. Likely in the range of 15-20% of all tickets sold.

So, the comparison was only between North American tours, but The Jacksons are disqualified because it didn't play internationally?

As pointed out earler in this post, you seem to have difficulty making up your mind regarding what counts as a multi artist bill.

Does this mean any Popmart show with unsold tickets is not counted?

I should also point out that any 3T ticket under $100 or over $1,000 sold out instantly in Vancouver and Toronto. It was the so-so tickets for hundreds of dollars that was the struggle. 1996 Newspaper articles repeating this would be easy to find.

-Is Italy 1997 the largest confirmed paying attendance single artist show? Yes.
-Highest grossing single show? Your choice between 3T or Streisand NYE
-Highest grossing rock show? Yes.
-Highest paying attendance single rock concert? Yes.

I checked Billboard magazine for the 2 months after the 1980 Sinatra show. I don't think I saw ANY show outside the North America listed.

You claimed that 1/26/80 was 140,000. The burden of proof on that number is in your hands. Judging by video footage of a full house, and according to your figure, 20-35,000 entered the enclosed Stadium without paying.

You also avoided the question I asked about whether it was mandatory to publically publish boxscore results. Full 3T, Sinatra and Streisand number seem to be hard to find. i wonder if their contract forbid such declarations. Vancouver and Toronto may have been published to squash naysayers.

u2fp

Neil Young did not get his first GOLD record until after he achieved a Gold record with Crosby Stills Nash And Young. Relevant success came first with the band, solo success came later.

With 3 Tenors, all of the artist were major artist with years of solo success prior to the 3 Tenors. If the 3 Tenors is not a multi-artist bill, then there is no such thing as a "multi-artist" bill.

The Jacksons tours for Off The Wall, and the Victory tour were essentially Michael Jackson solo tours!!!!! Without Michael, the tour would have been in 3,000 seat theaters and tickets would have been 10 dollars.

A Multi-artist bill, in the true sense, is when a combination of independently and roughly equal successful artist come together to combine their popularity levels and fan bases, in order to secure success that would not be possible independent of each other. That is what 3 Tenors was, and it only played 5 shows a year worldwide artificially driving up demand for those shows. It can't in any way shape or form be compared to a Rolling Stones tour or a U2 tour!!! If you can't logically understand the difference between a single artist like U2 and a multi-artist bill like 3 tenors, as well as the difference between playing 100 shows in a year vs. only 5, then there really is no point in discussing this any further.

Most people in the United States, even if they are U2 fans are not going to fly all the way to Hawaii to see a U2 show, so the fact that it was the first show in the United States in 12 months means nothing!!!!

About 10,000 more tickets were put on sale and Pearl Jam was announced as an opener, but that does not mean that Pearl Jam helped sell all those extra 10,000 tickets. Pearl Jam already did a show in Hawaii for their much smaller fan base further diluting the impact of them opening for U2 in Hawaii later. At best, U2 picked up another 5,000 in ticket sales because of the addition of Pearl Jam since they had already played Hawaii earlier. Not enough to change the fact that it was the highest attended and grossing show in the state of Hawaii's history.

If U2 were only playing a dozen shows worldwide, and were having to go to secondary markets like South Korea and China to find fans, that would indeed be a sign of weakness. As apart of a normal 130 date world tour, it would not be though. But then again, the multi-artist bill of 3 Tenors ONLY PLAYED 30 SHOWS IN 6 YEARS!!!!!! U2 have played 244 shows in the past 6 years!!!!! One artist with a gross of OVER A HALF BILLION DOLLARS in 6 years!!!!!

I don't understand what your discussion of U2's concert stats in San Francisco on ZOO TV and Joshua Tree have to do with ANYTHING. Yeah, the Pretenders opened for U2, otherwise they would be playing a few theater shows. U2 was helping the Pretenders.

As far as the average price of the Jacksons tour, even adjusted for inflation its still below the level of what U2 charged on the POPMART tour. The only reason the Stones average ticket price is higher, adjusted for inflation, from the tickets sold, is because they sold almost 1 million more tickets on the Voodoo Lounge tour. If you look at the price of all available tickets regardless of what sold or did not sell, adjusted for inflation, POPMART had the higher average price.

Looking at inflation is important, but it was never the point I was trying to make which was that $52.50 was the highest ticket price for a major stadium tour in North America in nominal terms, in February 1997 when POPMART tickets went on sale. That fact still stands. Adjusted for inflation, only the average ticket price on the Voodoo Lounge would beat POPMART in North America, and thats only because Voodoo Lounge sold more of its tickets than POPMART. If you looked at all available tickets, regardless of what was sold, adjusted for inflation, the two tours are roughly the same in North America.

The point I was making was not the average ticket price of what was SOLD, but what was the average ticket price of what was put on sale to the public!!!! Nominally, the price of U2's tickets for 2nd level stadium seats was the highest anyone had ever charged. Few people noticed that perhaps it was equal to or slightly less than what the Stones charged in 1994. Given the three year difference and the knowledge of the average consumer, the nominal price and not the estimated inflation adjusted price, is more important in this particular case.

You took the average price of the entire POPMART tour at one point, even other countries, and compared it to the Jacksons tour which visited only two countries. Thats an inaccurate comparison!!!

I understand what a multi-artist bill is, and 3 Tenors is indeed a multi-artist bill with popular independent artist, combining the strength of their roughly equal respective careers in order to sell more tickets than either of them could do on their own.

POPMART soldout the few lower priced tickets that went on sale at each show. It was only the 52.50 tickets that did not sell.

3 Tenors is a multi-artist bill and does not hold any record for the highest grossing show for a single artist because it IS NOT ONE ARTIST!!!!

We have figures for U2 POPMART attendence at Reggio Emilia. Michael Cohl, the most experienced and successful promoter in rock history said it was the highest attended show for a single artist in history.

Its up to you to prove those facts wrong and you have presented nothing except for an audiance estimate and some pictures of the show.

Even if 3 Tenors was only one artist(which it is NOT), you can't compare a tour that only plays 6 shows in a single year to one that plays nearly a 100. The ticket prices that North Americans saw in February 1997 were the highest ever for a full stadium tour for North America. Sure, if you adjust for inflation, you can show the average ticket price on what was sold for the Stones was slightly higher for the 1994 tour, but thats not what fans were faced with when purchasing tickets in February 1997. Their looking at all available tickets and what they cost in NOMINAL terms, and seeing that 90% to 95% of them are the $52.50 ones as opposed to the $37.50 ones directly at the back.

I can't believe that all the grossfigures for the Popmart tour are known and not for the Elevation tour wich is 4 years later!

For the following shows the grossfigures are still unknown.

11. Vancouver April 13, 2001 G.M. Place GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 18,520

13. San Diego April 17, 2001 San Diego Sports Arena GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 14,850

20. Minneapolis May 1, 2001 Target Center GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 18,691

22. Lexington May 4, 2001 Rupp Arena GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 16,642

23. Pittsburgh May 6, 2001 Mellon Arena GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 14,863

24. Columbus May 7, 2001 Nationwide Arena GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 15,495

25. Millwaukee May 9, 2001 Bradley Center GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 18,622

26. Indianapolis May 10, 2001 Consesco Fieldhouse GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 15,088

51, 52. Copenhagen July 6-7, 2001 Forum GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 20,000

53, 54. Stockholm July 9-10, 2001 Globe GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 31,511

55, 56. Cologne July 12-13, 2001 Arena GROSS: ? ATTTENDANCE: 36,915

57. Munich July 15, 2001 Olympiahalle GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 13,543

58, 59. Paris July 17-18, 2001 Bercy GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 34,000

61, 62. Zurich July 23-24, 2001 Hallenstadion GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 26,000

63, 64. Vienna July 26-27, 2001 Stadthalle GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 32,148

65. Berlin July 29, 2001 Waldbuehne GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 20,030

69, 70. Antwerp August 5-6, 2001 Sportpaleis GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 32,878

71. Barelona August 8, 2001 Palau St. Jordi GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 18,000

74, 75. Birmingham August 14-15, 2001 NEC Arena GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 23,022

82, 83. Glasgow August 27-28, 2001 SECC GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 19,231

84. South Bend October 10, 2001 Joyce Center, Univ. Of Notre Dame GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 11,441

85. Montreal October 12, 2001 Molson Centre GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 21,063

86. Hamilton October 13, 2001 Copps Coliseum GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 18,486

97. Austin November 5, 2001 Frank Erwin Center, Univ. Of Texas GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 16,585

106. Sacramento November 20, 2001 Arco Arena GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 13,789

107. Phoenix November 23, 2001 America West Arena GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 17,106

109. Kansas City November 27, 2001 Kemper Arena GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 13,456

110. St. Louis November 28, 2001 Savvis Center GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 16,051

112. Tampa December 1, 2001 Ice Palace GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 17,935

113. Miami December 2, 2001 American Airlines Arena GROSS: ?ATTENDANCE: 16,197

STING2 said:
U2's September 1997 Boxscore for the Reggio Emilia Italy concert was the largest grossing single show in history at that time, with over 5 million gross from having 150,000 people in attendance.

Was Cohl the source of both the gross and attendance being 1997 international records?

If 3 Tenors were given a profit of $90 million dollars from a 12 date tour, than the GROSS figure would have been over $100 million dollars. Probably a GROSS of 10 million dollars per show! I would have to see an amusement business boxscore result to actually believe this. Do you have the dates for the individual shows?

If they 12 shows they played in 96-97 had an guestimate average of USD$7mill per show then they would have done USD$84mil of touring business in 9 months. Most of the stadiums they played were bigger than Skydome's 50,000.

I don't think I've ever seen 3T on the list of highest grossing tours of all time.

u2fp

Just curious:

Was Popmart the first U2 tour to have tiered ticket pricing?

Why did u2, or the tour announcement press release for popmart, not point out that the pricing was inline with several other Stadium tours(adjusted for inflation) While at the same time they had not taken on a major tour sponsor?

Bono seemd a little defensive even as early as the KMart press conference tour announcement.

u2fp

U2FanPeter said:
Just curious:

Was Popmart the first U2 tour to have tiered ticket pricing?

Why did u2, or the tour announcement press release for popmart, not point out that the pricing was inline with several other Stadium tours(adjusted for inflation) While at the same time they had not taken on a major tour sponsor?

Bono seemd a little defensive even as early as the KMart press conference tour announcement.

u2fp

It was the first tour to have more than one price level, but 90% of the tickets made available were the $52.50 ones, at least in the United States. A tiered system usually has prices at more than two levels and in equal or similar quantities. There were really just four sections in the top tier at the very back of the stadium that were priced at the $37.50 level.

U2 did not have a press release stating that Popmart pricing was in line with several other stadium tours BECAUSE IT WASN'T!!! POPMART had the highest priced tickets for a major stadium tour that had ever been seen in February 1997. Adjusting for inflation, only one major stadium tour had prices in line with it, The Rolling Stones Voodoo Lounge tour. But that fact is so minor it would be lost on most people and it would only draw attention to the fact that it was the most expensive pricing(at least in nominal terms) ever seen for a major stadium tour to that point.

U2FanPeter said:

Was Cohl the source of both the gross and attendance being 1997 international records?

If they 12 shows they played in 96-97 had an guestimate average of USD$7mill per show then they would have done USD$84mil of touring business in 9 months. Most of the stadiums they played were bigger than Skydome's 50,000.

I don't think I've ever seen 3T on the list of highest grossing tours of all time.

u2fp

Michael Cohl was one of many sources for the record at Reggio Emilia in Italy.

Its not the size of the stadium that you play that matters, but how many tickets you sell. The boxscores you gave show the shows did not sellout. Again, a "tour" that only plays 12 shows is NOT a tour. You can't compare it to one. Its a multi-artist bill playing a selection of shows, not a full tour by a single major artist.

http://www.answers.com/topic/bands-orchestras-actors-and-other-entertainers-and-entertainment groups

"Barbara Streisand, meanwhile, broke the box-office record for a single show with her New Year's Eve, 1999, performance in las Vegas which generated ticket sales of $14.7 million, topping the 3 Tenors' New Jersey show in 1996, in which Luciano Pavarotti, Placido Domingo and Jose Careras raked in $13.4 million"

Sting2, how accurate is this source?

I'm still looking for the Streisand 12/31/93-1/1/94 boxscores. Her 1994 Spring shows gross about $2mil each, but Vegas was much more expensive.

Have you ever seen a total "tour" gross figure for the 3 tenors? With NYC, Toronto and Vancouver it's over USD$26 mil for less than 25% of the tour. I'm just wondering where they fit in with other all-time rock tours.

u2fp

Last edited:
http://www.nytimes.com/books/first/e/edwards-streisand.html

It says here that Babs grossed $12mil in ticket sales for her 12/31/93 and 1/1/94 performances. $6mil each. Less than 13,000 tickets available for each performance with tickets in the range of $50-1,000.

It was rumoured that MGM paid her $20mil for the world exclusive event that opened up their new billion dollarvenue/casino/entertainment complex.

(edit note: The above is a direct link to NYT site that needs registration. I opened it without registration via a google search)

u2fp

I have a point on the following from Pimm's live book from the 17 and 18-11-1987 LA show. "LA produces the highest box office result of the tour: with a ticket price of $19.50, the two shows gross $2,590,497."

If I do the following formula I have a different number, 132,925 x $19.50 = $2,592,038

Same thing for the 3 Foxboro shows during Outside Broadcast,
"..selling a total of 148,736 tickets. At $30 each, the gross is $4,427,100." My number is different to this too, $4,462,080. How do they calculate these numbers?

U2FanPeter said:
http://www.answers.com/topic/bands-orchestras-actors-and-other-entertainers-and-entertainment groups

"Barbara Streisand, meanwhile, broke the box-office record for a single show with her New Year's Eve, 1999, performance in las Vegas which generated ticket sales of $14.7 million, topping the 3 Tenors' New Jersey show in 1996, in which Luciano Pavarotti, Placido Domingo and Jose Careras raked in $13.4 million"

Sting2, how accurate is this source?

I'm still looking for the Streisand 12/31/93-1/1/94 boxscores. Her 1994 Spring shows gross about $2mil each, but Vegas was much more expensive.

Have you ever seen a total "tour" gross figure for the 3 tenors? With NYC, Toronto and Vancouver it's over USD$26 mil for less than 25% of the tour. I'm just wondering where they fit in with other all-time rock tours.

u2fp

Not very accurate at all based on what they have in the U2 section.

With only 30 shows spread out across the world over 6 years, 3 tenors is not really considered to be a tour. Its a selection of shows by multiple artist. The only way your going to get a total gross is if you can find the individual gross figures. But that will mean very little considering how spread out the time is as far as shows.

U2FanPeter said:
http://www.nytimes.com/books/first/e/edwards-streisand.html

It says here that Babs grossed $12mil in ticket sales for her 12/31/93 and 1/1/94 performances. $6mil each. Less than 13,000 tickets available for each performance with tickets in the range of $50-1,000.

It was rumoured that MGM paid her $20mil for the world exclusive event that opened up their new billion dollarvenue/casino/entertainment complex.

(edit note: The above is a direct link to NYT site that needs registration. I opened it without registration via a google search)

u2fp

Vegas is always a different case considering the money that is moving through that town. In any event, the MGM is not a stadium.

Mirrorball06 said:
I have a point on the following from Pimm's live book from the 17 and 18-11-1987 LA show. "LA produces the highest box office result of the tour: with a ticket price of $19.50, the two shows gross $2,590,497."

If I do the following formula I have a different number, 132,925 x $19.50 = $2,592,038

Same thing for the 3 Foxboro shows during Outside Broadcast,
"..selling a total of 148,736 tickets. At $30 each, the gross is $4,427,100." My number is different to this too, $4,462,080. How do they calculate these numbers?

Either there was a mistake in copying the boxscore from Billboard, or there were a small quantity of tickets that were charged at a different ticket price. Another, but less likely possibility is that Billboard Boxscore made a mistake in the posting of the numbers. This happened occasionally in the 1980s but was usually corrected the following week.

I found some ticketscans from U2ticketstubs.com. So I can count some of the gross figures but it's maybe not the right figure but I give it a try. I use the formula (attendance x ticketprice) but it's possible that for one show there where tickets with different prices. I converted the Canadian dollars in US dollars.

JOSHUA TREE 1ST LEG
1, 2. Tempe April 2, 4, 1987 Arizona State Univ. Activity Center GROSS: $389,252 ATTENDANCE: 25,113 ($15,50)

3. Tucson April 5, 1987 Community Center GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 8,032

4, 5. Houston April 7-8, 1987 The Summit GROSS: $429,203 ATTENDANCE: 27,251 ($15,75)

6. Las Cruces April 10, 1987 Pan American Center GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 12,500

7. Las Vegas April 12, 1987 Thomas And Mack Arena GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 8,637

8, 9. San Diego April 13-14, 1987 San Diego Sports Arena GROSS: $460,961 ATTENDANCE: 27,937 ($16,50)

10, 11, 12, 13, 14. Los Angeles April 17-18, 20-21-22, 1987 Sports Arena GROSS: $1,298,080 ATTENDANCE: 74,176 ($17,50)

15, 16. Daly City April 24-25, 1987 Cow Center GROSS: $425,453 ATTENDANCE: 25,785 ($16,50)

17. Chicago April 29, 1987 Rosemont Horizon GROSS: $278,091 ATTENDANCE: 16,854 ($16,50)

18. Detroit April 30, 1987 Pontiac Silverdome GROSS: $853,347 ATTENDANCE: 51,718 ($16,50)

19, 20, 21. Worchester May 2-3-4, 1987 The Centrum GROSS: $618,453 ATTENDANCE: 37.482 ($16,50)

22, 23, 24. Hartford May 7-8-9, 1987 Hartford Civic Center GROSS: $780,896 ATTENDANCE: 47,327 ($16,50)

25, 26, 27, 28, 29. East Rutherford May 11-12-13, 15-16, 1987 Brenden Byrne Arena GROSS: $1.693,560 ATTENDANCE: 102,640 (16,50)

Gross so far: $7,227,294

1ST LEG OF JOSHUA TREE: 29 SHOWS
GROSS: $7,501,329 ATTENDANCE: 465,452

JOSHUA TREE 3RD LEG
30, 31. Uniondale September 10-11, 1987 Nassau Coliseum GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 34,899

32. Philadelphia September 12, 1987 The Spectrum GROSS: $326,007 ATTENDANCE: 17,622 ($18,50)

33. East Rutherford September 14, 1987 Giants Stadium GROSS: $1,040,820 ATTENDANCE: 54,780 ($19,00)

34, 35. Boston September 17-18, 1987 Boston Garden GROSS: $589,342 ATTENDANCE: 31,018 ($19,00)

36. Washington September 20, 1987 Robert F. Kennedy Stadium GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 51,016

37. Foxboro September 22, 1987 Sullivan Stadium GROSS: $1,052,182 ATTENDANCE: 55,378 ($19,00)

38. New Heaven September 23, 1987 Coliseum GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 10,535

39. Philadelphia September 25, 1987 John F Kennedy Stadium GROSS: $1,593,683 ATTENDANCE: 86,145 (18,50)

40, 41. New York September 28-29, 1987 Madison Square Garden GROSS: $750,690 ATTENDANCE: 39,510 ($19,00)

42. Montreal October 1, 1987 Olympic Stadium GROSS: $1,236,388 ATTENDANCE: 66,117 ($18,70)

43. Toronto October 3, 1987 Canadian National Exhibition Stadium GROSS: $1,319,766 ATTENDANCE: 62,846 ($21,00)

44. Cleveland October 6, 1987 Municipal Stadium GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 50,081

45. Buffalo October 7, 1987 Memorial Auditorium GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 17,065

46. Syracuse October 9, 1987 Carrier Dome, Syracuse U GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 39,157

47. Rochester October 11, 1987 Silver Stadium GROSS: $564,250 ATTENDANCE: 30,500 ($18,50)

48. Pittsburgh October 13, 1987 Three Rivers Stadium GROSS: $756,477 ATTENDANCE: 40,889 ($18,50)

49. Iowa City October 20, 1987 Carver-Hawkeye Arena GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 15,846

50. Champaign October 22, 1987 Assembley Hall, U of Illinois GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 16,193

51. Lexington October 23, 1987 Rupp Arena, Lexington Center GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 22,815

52. St. Louis October 25, 1987 St. Louis Arena GROSS: $319,418 ATTENDANCE: 18,237 ($17,50)

53. Kansas City October 26, 1987 Kemper Arena GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 17,168

54, 55, 56. Chicago October 28-29-30, 1987 Rosemont Horizon GROSS: $961,963 ATTENDANCE: 51,998 ($18,50)

57. Indianapolis November 1, 1987 Hoosier Dome GROSS: $634,277 ATTENDANCE: 38,441 ($16,50)

58, 59. St. Paul November 3-4, 1987 St. Paul Civic Center GROSS: $615,160 ATTENDANCE: 35,152 ($17,50)

60, 61. Denver November 7-8, 1987 McNichols Sports Arena GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 34,000

62. Vancouver November 12, 1987 B.C. Place Stadium GROSS: $1,090,505 ATTENDANCE: 54,254 ($20,10)

63, 64. Oakland November 14-15, 1987 Oakland-Alameda Country Stadium GROSS: 2,013,570 ATTENDANCE: 103,260 ($19,50)

65, 66. Los Angeles November 17-18, 1987 Memorial Coliseum GROSS: $2,592,038 (must be $2,590,497) ATTENDANCE: 132,925 ($19,50)

67. Austin November 22, 1987 Frank Erwin Center GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 17,202

68, 69. Fort Worth November 23-24, 1987 Tarrant County Convention Center GROSS: $468,520 ATTENDANCE: 27,560 ($17,00)

70. Baton Rouge November 26, 1987 Assembley Center, Louisiana State U GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 15,042

71. Mufreesboro November 28, 1987 Charles M. Murphy Athletic Center GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 11,619

72. Miami December 3, 1987 Orange Bowl GROSS: $1,001,054 ATTENDANCE: 54,111 ($18,50)

73. Tampa December 5, 1987 Tampa Stadium GROSS: $1,089,003 ATTENDANCE: 58,865 ($18,50)

74, 75. Atlanta December 8-9, 1987 The Omni GROSS: $572,845 ATTENDANCE: 32,734 ($17,50)

76, 77. Hampton December 11-12, 1987 Hampton Coliseum GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 21,088

78, 79. Tempe December 19-20, 1987 Sun Devil Stadium GROSS: $522,250 ATTENDANCE: 110,450 ($5,00)

Gross so far: $21,109,905

3RD LEG OF JOSHUA TREE: 50 SHOWS
GROSS: $27,255,556 ATTENDANCE: 1,576,518

Combined 1st and 3rd leg of THE JOSHUA TREE TOUR: 79 SHOWS
GROSS: $34,756,895
ATTENDANCE: 2,042,000

ZOO TV 1ST LEG
1. Lakeland February 29, 1992 Lakeland Arena GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 7,251

2. Miami March 1, 1992 Miami Arena GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 15,000

3. Charlotte March 3, 1992 Veterans Memorial Coliseum GROSS: $569,650 ATTENDANCE: 22,786 ($25)

4. Atlanta March 5, 1992 The Omni GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 16,336

5. Hampton March 7, 1992 Hampton Coliseum GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 10,187

6. Uniondale March 9, 1992 Nassau Coliseum GROSS: $434,925 ATTENDANCE: 17,397 ($25)

7. Philadelphia March 10, 1992 The Spectrum GROSS: $458,725 ATTENDANCE: 18,349 ($25)

8. Hartford March 12, 1992 Hartford Civic Center GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 16,438

9. Worchester March 13, 1992 The Centrum GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 13,835

10. Providence March 15, 1992 Providence Civic Center GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 13,680

11. Boston March 17, 1992 Boston Garden GROSS: $380,300 ATTENDANCE: 15,212 ($25)

12. East Rutherford March 18, 1992 Brenden Byrne Arena GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 19,880

13. New York March 20, 1992 Madison Square Garden GROSS: $454,475 ATTENDANCE: 18,179 ($25)

14. Albany March 21, 1992 Knickerboxer Arena GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 16,258

15. Montreal March 23, 1992 The Forum GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 18,000

16. Toronto March 24, 1992 Maple Leaf Gardens GROSS: $461,232 ATTENDANCE: 16,015 ($28,80)

17. Cleveland March 26, 1992 Richfield Coliseum GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 18,083

18. Detroit March 27, 1992 Palace Of Auburn Hills GROSS: $526,600 ATTENDANCE: 21,064 ($25)

19. Minneapolis March 30, 1992 Target Center GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 18,256

20. Chicago March 31, 1992 Rosemont Horizon GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 17,329

21. Dallas April 5, 1992 Reunion Arena GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 17,999

22. Houston April 6, 1992 The Summit GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 16,342

23. Austin April 7, 1992 Frank Erwin Center GROSS: $419,650 ATTENDANCE: 16,786 ($25)

24. Tempe April 10, 1992 Activity Center. Arizona State U GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 13,302

25, 26. Los Angeles April 12-13, 1992 Sports Arena GROSS: $792,300 ATTENDANCE: 31,692 ($25)

27. San Diego April 15, 1992 San Diego Sports Arena GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 13,824

28. Sacramento April 17, 1992 Arco Arena GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 15,893

29, Oakland April 18, 1992 Oakland Coliseum Arena GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 14,431

30, 31. Tacoma April 20-21, 1992 Tacoma Dome GROSS: $1,099,425 ATTENDANCE: 43,977 ($25)

32. Vancouver April 23, 1992 P.N.E. Coliseum GROSS: ATTENDANCE: 15,000

Gross so far: $5,597,282

1ST LEG OF ZOO TV : 32 SHOWS
GROSS: $13,215,414 ATTENDANCE: 528,763

ZOO TV OUTSIDE BROADCAST
33. Hershey August 7, 1992 Hershey Park Stadium GROSS: $394,650 ATTENDANCE: 26,310 ($15)

34, 35. East Rutherford August 12-13, 1992 Giants Stadium GROSS: $3,270,000 ATTENDANCE: 109,000 ($30)

36, 37.Washington August 15-16, 1992 Robert F. Kennedy Stadium GROSS: $2,765,583 ATTENDANCE: 97,038 ($28,50)

38. Saratoga Springs August 18, 1992 Saratoga Raceway GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 30,277

39, 40, 41. Foxboro August 20, 22-23 Foxboro Stadium GROSS: $4,462,080 (was $4,427,100) ATTENDANCE: 148,736 ($30)

42. Pittsburgh August 25, 1992 Three Rivers Stadium GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 39,586

43. Montreal August 27, 1992 Olympic Stadium GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 42,210

44, 45. New York August 29-30, 1992 Yankee Stadium GROSS: $3,123,000 ATTENDANCE: 104,100 ($30)

46, 47. Philadelphia September 2-3, 1992 Veteran’s Stadium GROSS: $2,660,520 ATTENDANCE: 88,684 ($30)

48, 49. Toronto September 5-6, 1992 Canadian Nationa Exhibition Stadium GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 108,043

50. Detroit September 9, 1992 Pontial Silverdome GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 36,740

51. Ames September 11, 1992 Cyclone Stadium GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 48,822

52. Madison September 13, 1992 Camp Randall Stadium GROSS: $1,868,400 ATTENDANCE: 62,280 ($30

53, 54, 55. Chicago September 15-16, 18, 1992 World Music Amphitheater GROSS: $3,103,418 ATTENDANCE: 89,307 ($34,75)

56. St. Louis September 20, 1992 Busch Memorial Stadium GROSS: $1,585,782 ATTENDANCE: 48,054 ($33)

57. Columbia September 23, 1992 Williams-Brice Stadium GROSS: $806,693 ATTENDANCE: 28,305 ($28,50)

58. Atlanta September 25, 1992 Georgia Dome GROSS: $1,602,810 ATTENDANCE: 53,427 ($30)

59. Miami October 3, 1992 Joe Robbie Stadium GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 45,244

60. Birmingham October 7, 1992 Legion Field GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 35,209

61. Tampa October 10, 1992 Tampa Stadium GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 41,909

62. Houston October 14, 1992 Astrodome GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 31,884

63. Dallas October 16, 1992 Texas Stadium GROSS: $1,174,620 ATTENDANCE: 39,154 ($30)

64. Kansas City October 18, 1992 Arrowhead Stadium GROSS: $1,136,010 ATTENDANCE: 37,867 ($30)

65. Denver October 21, 1992 Mile High Stadium GROSS: $1,647,113 ATTENDANCE: 54,450 ($30,25)

66. Tempe October 24, 1992 Sun Devil Stadium GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 35,177

67. El Paso October 27, 1992 Texas Sun Bowl GROSS: $1,066,920 ATTENDANCE: 35,564 ($30)

68, 69. Los Angeles October 30-31, 1992 Dodger Stadium GROSS: $3,250,710 ATTENDANCE: 108,357 ($30)

70, 71. Vancouver November 3-4, 1992 B.C. Place Stadium GROSS: $2,153,054 ATTENDANCE: 77,448 ($27,50)

72. Oakland November 7, 1992 Oakland-Alameda County Stadium GROSS: $1,794,000 ATTENDANCE: 59,800 ($30)

73. San Diego November 10, 1992 Jack Murphy Stadium GROSS: $1,007,250 ATTENDANCE: 33,575 ($30)

74. Las Vegas November 12, 1992 Sam Boyd Stadium GROSS: $860,994 ATTENDANCE: 27,774 ($31)

75. Anaheim November 14, 1992 Anaheim Stadium GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 48,640

Gross so far: $39,733,607

3RD LEG OF ZOO TV OUTSIDE BROADCAST: 43 SHOWS
GROSS: $53,913,608 ATTENDANCE: 1,872,971

MEXICAN DATES
76, 77, 78, 79. Mexico City November 21-22, 24-25, 1992 Palacio De Los Deportes GROSS: $4,148,756 ATTENDANCE: 83,068

Combined 1st leg, 3rd leg and Mexian dates of THE ZOO TV TOUR: 79 SHOWS
GROSS: $71,277,778 ATTENDANCE: 2,484,802

U2FanPeter said:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10052914@N00/400471619/in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10052914@N00/400471613/in/photostream/

2 tickets from my personal collection. Boxscores can be created from them using old currency exchange rates, an exact number for 1983 and rough number for 4/1992.

u2fp

Thanks!!

But I do have a problem with 3 shows for the 1st Zoo tv leg. It's about the attendance figures for the 1-3-92 Miami show (15.000), the 15-3-92 Montreal show (18.000) and the 23-4-92 Vancouver show (15.000). I think that these 3 are not the exact attendance figures. Can anybody help me out?

Mirrorball06 said:

Thanks!!

But I do have a problem with 3 shows for the 1st Zoo tv leg. It's about the attendance figures for the 1-3-92 Miami show (15.000), the 15-3-92 Montreal show (18.000) and the 23-4-92 Vancouver show (15.000). I think that these 3 are not the exact attendance figures. Can anybody help me out?

The Pacific Coliseum held 14,123 for hockey games. With the floor seats and minus some seats blocked by production 15,000 could be quite close - give or take 2-300 tickets.

I attended REM and PAGE/PLANT at the same venue both in late MAY 1995. They had the same stage configuration(360 endstage) and were both sellouts, so if the boxscore attendance exist on those they that can be used as an accurate number within about 60 tickets.

u2fp

Here is my update for the War tour with my estimated gross figures.

War 2nd leg
1. Chapel Hill April 23, 1983 Kenan Stadium GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 4,000

2. Norfolk April 24, 1983 Chrysler Hall GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: ?

3. College Park April 25, 1983 Ritchie Stadium GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: ?

4. Auburn April 27, 1983 Cayhuga Country Community College Gym GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 500

5. Rochester April 28, 1983 Rochester Institute Of Technology Ice Rink GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: ? ($7,50)

6. Dehli April 29, 1983 State University Of New York GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: ?

7. Providence April 30, 1983 Brown University GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: ?

8. Stony Brook May 1, 1983 Unknown GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: ?

9. Pittsburgh May 3, 1983 Fulton Theater GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: ?

10, 11. Boston May 5-6, 1983 The Orpheum Theater two shows combined GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 5,600

12. Albany May 7, 1983 State University Of New York GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 13,000

13. Hartford May 8, 1983 Trinity College GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 500

14. New Heaven May 10, 1983 Woolsey Hall GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: ?

15. New York May 11, 1983 Palladium GROSS: $42,500 ATTENDANCE: 3,400 ($12,50)

16. Passaic May 12, 1983 Capitol Theater GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 2,000

17, 18. Philadelphia May 13-14, 1983 Tower Theater GROSS: $60,000 ATTENDANCE: 6,000 ($10)

19. Buffalo May 16, 1983 Shea Center GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: ?

20. Toronto May 17, 1983 Massey Hall GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 2,689

21. Cleveland May 19, 1983 Music Hall GROSS: $28,500 ATTENDANCE: 3,000 ($9,50)

22. Detroit May 20, 1983 Grand Circus Theater GROSS: $29,810 ATTENDANCE: 2,839 ($10,50)

23. Chicago May 21, 1983 Aragon Ballroom GROSS: $40,000 ATTENDANCE: 4,000 ($10)

24. Minneapolis May 22, 1983 Northrop Auditorium GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 3,672

25. Vancouver May 25, 1983 Queen Elisabeth Theater GROSS: $27,597 ATTENDANCE: 2,845 ($9,70)

26. Seattle May 26, 1983 Paramount Theater GROSS: $33,000 ATTENDANCE: 3,000 ($11)

27. Portland May 27, 1983 Paramount Theater GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 2,500

28. Devore May 30, 1983 Glen Helen Regional Park GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 125,000

29. San Francisco June 1, 1983 Civic Auditorium GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE : 6.359

30. Salt Lake City June 3, 1983 Salt Palace Assembley Hall GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 500

31. Denver June 5, 1983 Red Rocks Amphitheater GROSS: $85,500 ATTENDANCE: 9,000 ($9,50)

32. Boulder June 6, 1983 University of Colorado GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: ?

33. Wichita June 7, 1983 Unknown GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 2,000

34. Kansas City June 8, 1983 Memorial Hall GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 3,000

35. Tulsa June 9, 1983 The Brady Theater GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 1,000

36. Norman June 10, 1983 Lloyd Noble Center, U of Oklahoma GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 2,000

37. Austin June 11, 1983 The Meadows GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: ?

38. Dallas June 13, 1983 Bronco Bowl GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 3,000

39. Houston June 14, 1983 Music Hall GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 3,021

40. Los Angeles June 17, 1938 Sports Arena GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 9,633 ($11,75/$11,75/$9,75)

41. Orlando June 21, 1983 Jai Alai Fronton Hall GROSS : ? ATTENDANCE: 3,029

42. Tampa June 22, 1983 Curtis Hixon Convention Center GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 3,702

43. Miami June 23, 1983 Sunrise Music Theater GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 4,086

44. Jacksonville June 24, 1983 Civic Auditorium GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 3,200

45. Atlanta June 25, 1983 Civic Center GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 8,000

46. New Heaven June 27, 1983 Coliseum GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 5,695

47. Worchester June 28, 1983 The Centrum GROSS: $116,145 (original figure) ATTENDANCE: 10,329 ($9,50/$11,50)

48. New York June 29, 1983 Pier 84 GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: ? ($10,00)

Gross so far: $463,051

2ND LEG OF WAR: 48 SHOWS
GROSS $1,750,000 ATTENDANCE 175,000

The april 23 show at Chapel Hill, the may 7 show at albany and the may 30 show at Devore are at festivals. So I don't know if the gross and attendance figures belong to U2.

ZOO TV 1992 (with capacity)

EVENT DATE: CITY/STATE: ATTENDANCE: CAPACITY:
Feb. 29, 1992 Lakeland, Fla. 7 251 7 251
March 3, 1992 Charlotte, N.C. 22 786 22 786
March 5, 1992 Atlanta, Ga. 16 336 16 336
March 7, 1992 Hampton, Va. 10 187 10 187
March 9, 1992 Uniondale, N.Y. 17 397 17 397
March 10, 1992 Philadelphia, Pa. 18 349 18 349
March 12, 1992 Hartford, Conn. 16 438 16 438
March 13, 1992 Worcester, Mass. 13 835 13 835
March 15, 1992 Providence, R.I. 13 680 13 680
March 17, 1992 Boston, Mass. 15 212 15 212
March 18, 1992 East Rutherford, N.J. 19 880 19 880
March 20, 1992 New York, N.Y. 18 179 18 179
March 21, 1992 Albany, N.Y. 16 258 16 258
March 24, 1992 Toronto, Ont. 16 015 16 015
March 26, 1992 Richfield, Ohio 18 083 18 083
March 27, 1992 Auburn Hills, Mich. 21 064 21 064
March 30, 1992 Minneapolis, Minn. 18 256 18 256
March 31, 1992 Rosemont, Ill. 17 329 17 329
April 5, 1992 Dallas, Texas 17 999 17 999
April 6, 1992 Houston, Texas 16 342 16 342
April 7, 1992 Austin, Texas 16 768 16 768
April 10, 1992 Tempe, Ariz. 13 302 13 302
April 12-13, 1992 Los Angeles, Calif. 31 692 31 692
April 15, 1992 San Diego, Calif. 13 824 13 824
April 17, 1992 Sacramento, Calif. 15 893 15 893
April 18, 1992 Oakland, Calif. 14 431 14 431
April 20-21, 1992 Tacoma, Wash. 43 977 43 977
Aug. 12-13, 1992 East Rutherford, N.J. 109 000 109 000
Aug. 15-16, 1992 Washington, D.C. 97 038 97 038
Aug. 18, 1992 Saratoga Springs, N.Y. 30 227 35 000
Aug. 20-23, 1992 Foxboro, Mass. 148 736 148 736
Aug. 25, 1992 Pittsburgh, Pa. 39 586 39 586
Aug. 27, 1992 Montreal, Quebec 42 210 43 000
Aug. 29-30, 1992 Bronx, N.Y. 104 100 104 100
Sep. 2-3, 1992 Philadelphia, Pa. 88 684 88 684
Sep. 5-6, 1992 Toronto, Ont. 108 043 108 043
Sep. 9, 1992 Pontiac, Mich. 36 740 40 680
Sep. 11, 1992 Ames, Iowa 48 822 48 822
Sep. 13, 1992 Madison, Wis. 62 280 62 280
Sep. 15-18, 1992 Tinley Park, Ill. 89 307 89 307
Sep. 20, 1992 St. Louis, Mo. 48 054 48 054
Sep. 23, 1992 Columbia, S.C. 28 305 40 136
Sep. 25, 1992 Atlanta, Ga. 53 427 53 427
Oct. 3, 1992 Miami, Fla. 45 244 46 000
Oct. 7, 1992 Birmingham, Ala. 35 209 41 632
Oct. 10, 1992 Tampa, Fla. 41 909 42 500
Oct. 14, 1992 Houston, Texas 31 884 35 000
Oct. 16, 1992 Irving, Texas 39 514 39 514
Oct. 18, 1992 Kansas City, Mo. 37 867 40 000
Oct. 21, 1992 Denver, Colo. 54 450 54 450
Oct. 24, 1992 Tempe, Ariz. 35 177 40 000
Oct. 27, 1992 El Paso, Texas 35 564 39 500
Oct. 30-31, 1992 Los Angeles, Calif. 108 357 108 357
Nov. 3-4, 1992 Vancouver, British Columbia 77 448 83 000
Nov. 7, 1992 Oakland, Calif. 59 800 59 800
Nov. 10, 1992 San Diego, Calif. 33 575 55 000
Nov. 12, 1992 Las Vegas, Nev. 27 774 37 011
Nov. 14, 1992 Anaheim, Calif. 48 640 48 640
Nov. 21-25, 1992 Mexico City, Mexico 83 068 83 068

Here are my estimate gross figures for the Unforgettable Fire tour.

UNFORGETTABLE FIRE 2ND LEG
1. Philadelphia December 1, 1984 Tower Theater GROSS:$37,500 ATTENDANCE: 3,000 ($12,50)

2. Worchester December 2, 1984 The Centrum GROSS: $149,283 ATTENDANCE: 11,058 ($13,50)

3. New York December 3, 1984 Radio City Music Hall GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 5,874

4. Washington December 5, 1984 Constitution Hall GROSS: $40,500 ATTENDANCE: 3,000 ($13,50)

5. Toronto December 7, 1984 Massey Hall GROSS: $33,880 ATTENDANCE: 2,800 ($12,10)

6. Detroit December 8, 1984 Fox Theater GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 5,000

7. Cleveland December 9, 1984 Music Hall GROSS: $37,500 ATTENDANCE: 3,000 ($12,50)

8. Chicago December 11, 1984 Aragon Ballroom GROSS: $66,000 ATTENDANCE: 5,500 ($12)

9. San Francisco December 15, 1984 Civic Auditorium GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 8,472

10. Long Beach December 16, 1984 Long Beach Arena GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 13,974

Gross so far: $364,663

2ND LEG OF UNFORGETTABLE FIRE: 10 SHOWS
GROSS ? ATTENDANCE 61,678 (unconfirmed)

UNFORGETTABLE FIRE 4TH LEG
11. Dallas February 25, 1985 Reunion Arena GROSS: $167,375 ATTENDANCE: 13,000 ($12,25/$13,50)

12. Austin February 26, 1985 Frank Erwin Center GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 11,633

13. Houston February 27, 1985 The Summit GROSS: $201,600 ATTENDANCE: 14,000 ($14,40)

14. Phoenix March 1, 1985 Compton Terrace GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 23,000

15, 16, 17. Los Angeles March 2, 4-5, 1985 Sports Arena GROSS: $653,521 ATTENDANCE: 45,071 ($14,50)

18, 19. Daly City March 7-8, 1985 Cow Center GROSS: $391,500 ATTENDANCE: 29,000 ($13,50)

20. Honolulu March 11, 1985 Neal Blaisdell Center Arena GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 8.178

21. Denver March 17, 1985 McNichols Sports Arena GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 17.475

22. Minneapolis March 19, 1985 Minneapolis Auditorium GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 9,000

23, 24. Chicago March 21-22, 1985 University of Illinois Pavillion GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 21,256

25. Detroit March 23, 1985 Joe Louis Arena GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 17,000

26. Cleveland March 25, 1985 Richfield Coliseum GROSS: $229,500 ATTENDANCE: 17,000 ($13,50)

27. Montreal March 27, 1985 The Forum GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 15,000

28. Toronto March 28, 1985 Maple Leaf Gardens GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 17,000

29. Ottawa March 30, 1985 Civic Center GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 9,000

30. New York April 1, 1985 Madison Square Garden GROSS: $285,000 ATTENDANCE: 19,000 ($15)

31. Providence April 2, 1985 Providence Civic Center GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 13,349

32. Uniondale April 3, 1985 Nassau Coliseum GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 15,000

33. Landover April 8, 1985 Capitol Centre GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 15,000

34. Pittsburgh April 9, 1985 Civic Arena GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 15,000

35. Hampton April 10, 1985 Hampton Coliseum GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 10,000

36, 37, 38. East Rutherford April 12, 14-15, 1985 Brenden Byrne Arena GROSS: $833,153 ATTENDANCE: 61,715 ($13,50)

39, 40, 41, Worchester April 16, 18-19, 1985 The Centrum GROSS: $492,644 ATTENDANCE: 37,416 ($13,50/$12,50)

42. Hartford April 20, 1985 Hartford Civic Center GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 15,505

43. Philadelphia April 22, 1985 The Spectrum GROSS: $249,143 ATTENDANCE: 18,455 ($13,50)

44. Hartford April 23, 1985 Hartford Civic Center GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 15,505

45. Philadelphia April 24, 1985 The Spectrum GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 18,455

46. Atlanta April 29, 1985 The Omni GROSS: ? ATTENDANCE: 12,000

47. Jacksonville April 30, 1985 Jacksonville Memorial Coliseum GROSS: $121,500 ATTENDANCE: 9,000 ($13,50)

48. Tampa May 2, 1985 Sun Dome GROSS: $147,245 ATTENDANCE: 10,907 ($13,50)

49,50. Fort Lauderdale May 4-5, 1985 Hollywood Sportatorium GROSS: $362,500 ATTENDANCE: 25,000 ($14,50)

Gross so far: $4,134,679

4TH LEG OF UNFORGETTABLE FIRE: 40 SHOWS
GROSS ? ATTENDANCE 577,920 (uncomfirmed)

Mirrorball06 said:
If there's anybody who knows more ticketprices, or better, the boxscores please let me know.

Make a list of all the particular "missing" ticket stubs you needs and start a new thread in a higher profile forum.

Back
Top Bottom