bon jovi bigger live band than u2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Axver said:
It's gotten to the point where it seems like Metfield is hiding behind his supposed lack of comprehension of English just so he can keep believing his lies.

U2 are much more popular than Metallica. I can't believe someone is even trying to argue that they aren't. If this were a 'U2 and the Rolling Stones' thread, then it would make sense. Right now, it makes no sense. U2 and Bon Jovi?! U2 and Metallica?! I think we should write this off as a joke thread in disguise.

go start topic in some music forum who is more well known band.metallica is the most important rock band in the world.they are the led zeppelin of this generation.fact

metallica is harder and uncommercial than u2 and still sold more albums than every year

they are the best selling band in the 90s.when u2 and metallica retire.metallica albums still sold like led zeppelin and black sabbath

Plenty of People will still buy U2 too, for some reason i find U2 songs like BTBS and Exit harder than Metallica and closer to Led Zep, in the History of Popular music U2 have played a far larger role than Metallica.

METFIELD said:

go start topic in some music forum who is more well known band.metallica is the most important rock band in the world.they are the led zeppelin of this generation.fact

metallica is harder and uncommercial than u2 and still sold more albums than every year

they are the best selling band in the 90s.when u2 and metallica retire.metallica albums still sold like led zeppelin and black sabbath

metallica changed human history.nobady helped them.they sold albums without radio and video clips in the 80s.

in 91 mainstream came to them.they sold out pop acts with heavy metal albums like justice and black album

they made heavy metal number one music in the world.black album sold million every year since 93

Have Metallica had any influence outside of metal?

btw U2 have sold more albums plus can they write songs as universal and as heartfelt as With or Without You

Last edited:
"metallica are the led zeppelin of this generation fact"

ahahahahahahahhaa!!!!:D :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

"metallic changed human history" :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

This has to be a wind-up....and like someone said, their influence extends to metal only..its not like they have a diverse sound or anything.

Sleep Over Jack said:
"metallica are the led zeppelin of this generation fact"

ahahahahahahahhaa!!!!:D :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

"metallic changed human history" :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

This has to be a wind-up....and like someone said, their influence extends to metal only..its not like they have a diverse sound or anything.

hehe you are loser,you know nothnig about metallica.u2 is never real rock band.led zeppelin,guns n roses,ac dc,aerosmith,these groups are rock legends

metallica is household name,icon.they are heavy metal,rock and music legends

u2 is pop,soft rock.you can compare u2 with rem,oasis

Oasis would knock the shit outta Metallica is a fight although a bit off topic Liam would go through em like they were photographers,
BTW WTF IS ROCK? Metallica are shit comapred to G 'N' R, ACDC and Aerosmith and U2 are better than these bands. U2 are rock, Metallica are metal, U2 can carry a tune, Metallica only on ocassion, hey i like Metallica even though this post makes it seem otherwise, they just dont compare to U2.

ZeroDude said:
Oasis would knock the shit outta Metallica is a fight although a bit off topic Liam would go through em like they were photographers,
BTW WTF IS ROCK? Metallica are shit comapred to G 'N' R, ACDC and Aerosmith and U2 are better than these bands. U2 are rock, Metallica are metal, U2 can carry a tune, Metallica only on ocassion, hey i like Metallica even though this post makes it seem otherwise, they just dont compare to U2.

metallica is both rock and metal band.u2 is like bruce sprigsteen pop rock

deep purple,pink floyd these are real rock bands

Gee, the more you post, the sillier you sound.
Especially with all the strange comparisons you make so you can keep believing only Metallica is rock and U2 isn't (here's a secret for you: THEY BOTH ARE!)

If you are so fanatic about Metallica, please join their forum. It would be better for everyone.
This (Peeling Off...) is a forum about statistics and facts and not about rumours and musical taste. If you want to have an opinion about the relevancy of Metallica compared to U2, please start an appropriate topic in Everything You Know Is Wrong.

C ya!

Marty

In your Opinion what are the Beatles or he Rolling Stones? When do you think Rock and Roll became Rock, The Stones or The Kinks maybe, Pink Floyd I think, would rather be considered something more than a rock band,

Say it with me now U2 are a Rock Band
U2 are a Rock Band
Rock can be melodic
It is at it's best when it's melodic

Do you like U2?

Popmartijn said:
Gee, the more you post, the sillier you sound.
Especially with all the strange comparisons you make so you can keep believing only Metallica is rock and U2 isn't (here's a secret for you: THEY BOTH ARE!)

If you are so fanatic about Metallica, please join their forum. It would be better for everyone.
This (Peeling Off...) is a forum about statistics and facts and not about rumours and musical taste. If you want to have an opinion about the relevancy of Metallica compared to U2, please start an appropriate topic in Everything You Know Is Wrong.

C ya!

Marty

When METALLICA Ruled The World: VH1 Special To Air In 2005
Date: 11/29/2004
Source : InterSandman / BlabberMouth.net

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

VH1 is reportedly working on a new special on METALLICA. Titled "When Metallica Ruled the World", the special is expected to air sometime in 2005.

According to the series' web site, "When __ Ruled The World" is "a one-hour oral and visual history of pop culture phenomena for VH1. This is not history. This is POPhistory — the story of a cultural history as it was felt collectively by a mass culture

2001'S TOP-EARNING MUSIC STARS
Metallica, Korn, Ozzy Osbourne, Tool, Limp Bizkit, and Aerosmith are among the artists included in Rolling Stone magazine's list of top-earning music stars last year (2001).

While admitting that calculating the earnings of famous people involves some "estimation and guesswork", the magazine said it compiled the numbers through conversations with music industry insiders, such as managers, label executives, agents, lawyers and publicists. The figures are "net" — what's left after expenses, fees and label deductions.

Here are the top money-makers in the hard rock/heavy metal genre for the year 2001 (as reported by Rolling Stone):

#9: AEROSMITH
Net amount earned in 2001: $24.2 million
Sources of income:
Touring: $20.4 million
Recording: $6.8 million
Publishing: $3 million

#24: LIMP BIZKIT
Net amount earned in 2001: $18.4 million
Sources of income:
Touring: $0
Recording: $13 million
Publishing: $6.5 million
Endorsements: $7 million

#26: METALLICA
Net amount earned in 2001: $17.5 million
Sources of income:
Recording: $14.7 million
Publishing: $6.6 million
Endorsements: $0.5 million

Says Rolling Stone: "Metallica have one of the best record deals in the business — essentially a profit-sharing agreement with their label, Elektra. When the band threatened to leave the label at the height of its career, Elektra gave Metallica an astounding royalty rate that amounts to nearly four dollars per album sold. That hefty rate truly pays off for a band such as Metallica, which had four of its records appear on the Billboard catalog charts during 2001."

#38: KORN
Net amount earned in 2001: $13.8 million
Sources of income:
Recording: $15 million
Publishing: $3.4 million

#39: KISS
Net amount earned in 2001: $12.9 million
Sources of income:
Touring: $7.7 million
Recording: $5.5 million
Publishing: $0
Merchandising: $2 million

Says Rolling Stone: "The masters of merchandising reportedly earn $2 million a year from more than 130 character licenses around the world. The merch for 2001 included a Sterling Marlin Racer collectible car and a KISS coffin. The band also received a reported $6 million check from Mercury Records, part of which was payment for a newly-released five-disc box set that retailed for $70, or $750 for a collector's version that came in a guitar case. Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley own the KISS name and control the profits. Band mates Ace Frehley and Peter Criss are now salaried employees."

#41: AC/DC
Net amount earned in 2001: $12 million
Sources of income:
Touring: $8.4 million
Recording: $2.8 million
Publishing: $3.8 million

#44: TOOL
Net amount earned in 2001: $10.3 million
Sources of income:
Touring: $8.5 million
Recording: $1.8 million
Publishing: $0

#45: THE OFFSPRING
Net amount earned in 2001: $9.3 million
Sources of income:
Recording: $7.9 million
Publishing: $3.7 million

#48: OZZY OSBOURNE
Net amount earned in 2001: $8.5 million
Sources of income:
Touring: $3.5 million
Recording: $2.7 million
Publishing: $1.5 million
Ozzfest: $3 million

Says Rolling Stone: "Last summer's Ozzfest grossed nearly $28 million. As namesake and performer, Osbourne received a nightly six-figure guarantee. Ozzfest got an added life from sponsor Trojan. Jagermeister kicked in more for the Ozzy/Rob Zombie Merry Mayhem tour in December."

Also you can find the top 5 here:

1. U2 - $61.9 million
2. Dr. Dre - $51.9 million
3. The Beatles - $47.9 million
4. Dave Matthews Band - $43.4 million
5. Madonna - $40.8 million

metallica made millions of dollar without new album or touring.metallicas first 5 albums still sold every country in the world

u2 have a movie?

According to the Hollywood Reporter, the second weekend of the METALLICA documentary, "Metallica: Some Kind of Monster" (IFC Films) played to an estimated $124,984 in 23 theaters, up 20 from a week ago, averaging $5,434 per theater. The overall per-theater average was brought down by weak performances in Canada, as the U.S. per-theater average was double its Canadian counterpart. The documentary has grossed $195,567 so far.

http://www.indiewire.com/biz/biz_040714boxoffice.html

SKOM_dvd_cover.jpg

U2 have more fans in the world than Metallica PERIOD!!!
So that makes U2 a bigger band than Metallica PERIOD!!
Go back to school and learn what means LOGIC!!
And by that you can "catch the train" and learn a little bit of English too.

Last edited:
To Metfield, yes Led Zeppelin were brilliant, but they had a diverse sound..my point is that Metallica don't, and thus have a narrow sphere of influence.

You also have a narrow definition of "rock"...metal is just an extreme version of rock and roll when it comes down to it, its not any more "rock" because of it though...

Last edited:
Squire said:
U2 have more fans in the world than Metallica PERIOD!!!
So that makes U2 a bigger band than Metallica PERIOD!!
Go back to school and learn what means LOGIC!!
And by that you can "catch the train" and learn a little bit of English too.

hahah metallica played more countries and cities than u2.in fact more people saw metallica than u2

in my country(turkey)u2 never played shows.metallica sold out stadiums here muhuuahu

in every country you can see metallica t shirts in the streets

this forum funniest thing i heard ahhaha

METFIELD said:
u2 have a movie?

It's called Rattle And Hum and was so successful that Metallica could never hope to equal it.

By the way, I recall Metallica citing U2 as an influence. U2 have not cited Metallica. End. Of. Discussion.

hahah metallica played more countries and cities than u2
etc, unfortunately, etc.

mefield, you are certifiably insane. Metallica is an 80's shadow of the original bluebrints to death metal and grind-core, which the kids are listening to these days. Metallica is too old and tame for most the true hardcore death-metal slasher kids to listen to, and most of their 80's fanbase are too old to be death-metal head bangers. Thus Metallica is in their twilight, both musically and relevantly, and it is not their fault so much as the limitation of being strictly a 'I'm so mad, so sad, so much pain' only theme to every record - it's really cheesy. Not to mention, suing thousands of your own fans beacuse of napster, even though most of these fans already had their albums, doesn't help your longevity either, eh? Wow, such true rebellious rock stars, suing kids over some MP3's - now there's a good example of greed and contradictory characteristics.
Anyway, with all that funny business aside, it is incredible and simply mind-blowing how much bigger U2 is than Metallica, statistically, musically, popularity-wise. Every single documentation of media can support the evidence of Metallica's well deserved decline, and U2's gigantic staying power.
Metfield, at first you tried to say Bon Jovi is bigger, then in mid-retardation, you switched to your Metallica delusions... I believe you pretend to be upset and saddened when you think particular bands are bigger or better than U2, but reality, you are just a U2 hater infiltrating this message board - a wolf in sheep's skin. Your Metallica outburt more than exposed your true nature however, you just couldn't keep your hatred for U2 intact and disguised well enough, as I guess one of your favourite bands is some ex-generational symbol of anger and fear - sorry to say Metallica, their the gimmick is over now, thankfully.

- Nicholas

zoou2@hotmail.com

METFIELD said:

why because of my english

And because you're rambling on about crap you know nothing about.

Also, are you REALLY not an English speaker? I've had a lot of experience with people who have learnt English as a second language - indeed, I think some people posting on this thread are non-native English speakers - and they all speak it much better than you do. At least they know when to use a question mark. You seem just like the immature kiddies who sometimes harass me on AIM.

While I don't agree with Metfield's taunting, he makes some valid points.

That said, I think this whole thread is a bit silly.

Clearly Bon Jovi has a big following. Clearly Metallica has a big following. And clearly U2 has a big following. At this very moment in time, of the three, I don't think anyone can deny that U2 "has the lead". However, I hate that music has to be in competition. There is more than enough room for many many artists to exist. U2's last album debuted at #3 and spent just a scant 3 weeks in the U.S. Top 10. Yet it went on to sell nearly 4.2M copies in the U.S. - one of U2's best selling albums here! This proves that an artist doesn't need a #1 hit or the #1 tour to be truly powerful influence (on society and other artists).

Metallica does have a huge following and their catalog sales are VERY strong. U2's 80's "Best Of" is always on the Catalog charts, but precious few of their prior albums have been (surprisingly enough, this includes the 90's "Best Of"). So I think there is merit for Metallica's success.

However, comparing the two bands is very difficult as the music is quite different. Bon Jovi is a better comparison (relatively speaking) to U2 as they make more pop-rock music. And, as a result, they also have a huge following.

I think in the annals of rock music history, U2 will be remembered more favorably than Bon Jovi. And Metallica and U2 will not even be discussed in the same sentence as they are different genres of music. But just because some of us aren't fans of either band, we shouldn't debase them and say U2 is "better" because of sales.

So why fight about who's larger? I didn't think this was truly the purpose of this forum. Rather, I thought it was to discuss U2's sales and chart positions - not to brag about how big U2 are or to insult U2 by saying another artist is bigger.

Last edited:
doctorwho said:
While I don't agree with Metfield's taunting, he makes some valid points.

That said, I think this whole thread is a bit silly.

Clearly Bon Jovi has a big following. Clearly Metallica has a big following. And clearly U2 has a big following. At this very moment in time, of the three, I don't think anyone can deny that U2 "has the lead". However, I hate that music has to be in competition. There is more than enough room for many many artists to exist. U2's last album debuted at #3 and spent just a scant 3 weeks in the U.S. Top 10. Yet it went on to sell nearly 4.2M copies in the U.S. - one of U2's best selling albums here! This proves that an artist doesn't need a #1 hit or the #1 tour to be truly powerful influence (on society and other artists).

Metallica does have a huge following and their catalog sales are VERY strong. U2's 80's "Best Of" is always on the Catalog charts, but precious few of their prior albums have been (surprisingly enough, this includes the 90's "Best Of"). So I think there is merit for Metallica's success.

However, comparing the two bands is very difficult as the music is quite different. Bon Jovi is a better comparison (relatively speaking) to U2 as they make more pop-rock music. And, as a result, they also have a huge following.

I think in the annals of rock music history, U2 will be remembered more favorably than Bon Jovi. And Metallica and U2 will not even be discussed in the same sentence as they are different genres of music. But just because some of us aren't fans of either band, we shouldn't debase them and say U2 is "better" because of sales.

So why fight about who's larger? I didn't think this was truly the purpose of this forum. Rather, I thought it was to discuss U2's sales and chart positions - not to brag about how big U2 are or to insult U2 by saying another artist is bigger.

most intelligent person in this forum.thank u

u2 is the most important band in pop-rock market last 25 years
so metallica in the hard rock-heavy metal market

Axver said:

And because you're rambling on about crap you know nothing about.

Also, are you REALLY not an English speaker? I've had a lot of experience with people who have learnt English as a second language - indeed, I think some people posting on this thread are non-native English speakers - and they all speak it much better than you do. At least they know when to use a question mark. You seem just like the immature kiddies who sometimes harass me on AIM.

hey u2 fanatic, i am not lying here,more facts for u,these are official elekra reports

in 99 reload 9 million worldwide in 2003 12 million
between 91-2004 metallica sold 80-90 million albums worldwide

ok talking about the quality of music can be subjective but now talk about grammys, about influence other people, musicians or not, about covers in big newspapers or magazine, musical or not, about number of fan foruns, about sites, about bootlegs, about news on television, about influences that tours have in all aspects
to know who is the best and bigger.
case closed.

joaoricardo said:
ok talking about the quality of music can be subjective but now talk about grammys, about influence other people, musicians or not, about covers in big newspapers or magazine, musical or not, about number of fan foruns, about sites, about bootlegs, about news on television, about influences that tours have in all aspects
to know who is the best and bigger.
case closed.

you knoww nothing about metallica.more people know metallicas name than u2.they are icon

Forbes Power Rank - March 14, 2002

Fame is fortune-not just for the pampered stars but also for the businesses that bank on them. The combined wattage of Julia Roberts, Bruce Willis and Adam Sandler helped launch Joe Roth's new movie studio last year. The worldwide appeal of Britney Spears, 'N Sync and the Backstreet Boys gives low-profile mogul Clive Calder powerful leverage in the music business. Forbes Magazine's Celebrity 100 list for last year seeks to quantify such intangibles. They begin by totaling up the top earners in 14 different categories, then factor in media attention and other metrics of fame.

2001 was a quiet year for Metallica, the first year ever without a concert, nor was any albums or singles released. Still they rank on the 18th spot on Forbes Celebrity 100 list. The good news is that Metallica are in the 3rd place when it comes to webhits, thanks to you my friends, only beaten by Beatles and Britney Spears. Here is the list

power
rank name money
rank earning webhits press covers tv/radio
1 Tom Cruise 13 43.2 139,000 11,715 11 136
2 Tiger Woods 7 53.0 363,000 47,149 5 235
3 Beatles 3 70.0 1,430,000 26,142 1 166
4 Britney Spears 16 38.5 981,000 19,607 5 18
5 Bruce Willis 4 70.0 125,000 8,841 2 74
6 Michael Jordan 17 37.0 261,000 28,350 1 228
7 Backstreet Boys 20 35.5 619,000 11,666 3 80
8 'N Sync 14 42.0 391,000 12,506 5 9
9 Oprah Winfrey 2 150.0 104,000 9,495 0 108
10 Mel Gibson 24 31.8 262,000 9,591 4 84
11 Mike Tyson 10 48.0 125,000 15,770 0 48
12 George Lucas 1 250.0 146,000 4,002 0 27
13 Stephen King 12 44.0 144,000 6,747 1 46
14 Steven Spielberg 8 51.0 152,000 10,950 1 8
15 Michael Schumacher 6 59.0 97,900 8,595 0 20
16 Julia Roberts 51 18.9 136,000 10,422 7 100
17 Shaquille O'Neal 42 24.0 326,000 21,380 2 58
18 Metallica 32 28.0 731,000 5,077 0 87

every young guitar players first learn metallica guitar riffs and solos

ride the lightning.master of puppets influenced millions of muscisions

they are the best selling heavy metal band by a long shot

metallica 100 million only 10 album released
iron maiden 50 million 20 album realesed

best selling rock bands

beatles 400 million
led zeppelin 220
pink floyd 180
u2 120

so????????
i was right you didn´t talk about any off my points, you just talk about nonsenses, if you want i could get a list of that kind showing the importance of u2 in music industry or their importance in irish economy, in all the points i made you mumble. if that is your case you really had lost it.
by the way where are mettalica now?

metallica played stadiums in turkey,indonesia,singapore, philippines,slovakia,hungary,poland,moscow,colombia,venezuela,slovenia,romania,bulgaria,ukraine,estonia

u2 cannot played these contries because metallica is well known every where on the planet.they have fan base in sudui arabistan and india

james hetfield like gof for their fans not bono

u2_edge_bono3.jpg

ehh good

most charismatic.hottost,best frontmen in the world.he is heavy metal god,biggest rock star on the planet)))))
0b00000173h.jpg

Last edited:
joaoricardo said:
so????????
i was right you didn´t talk about any off my points, you just talk about nonsenses, if you want i could get a list of that kind showing the importance of u2 in music industry or their importance in irish economy, in all the points i made you mumble. if that is your case you really had lost it.
by the way where are mettalica now?

you are right yes,u2 is most important band irlend so metallica is biggest american band ever))))

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom