Bomb v Stadium arcadium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
blueyedpoet said:
I think Tell Me Baby will not really help sales, although it could bring some Blood fans to buy the album. However, I predict their third single (hopefully something like Slow Cheetah) will really help the album stay on the charts for a long time to come.

The singles are rumored to be as follows:

1. Dani California
2. Tell Me Baby
3. Storm in a Teacup
4. Snow
5. Stadium Arcadium
6. unknown
7. unknown

MJDangerous said:

It is certified 1xPlatinum but it sold 2 millions copies according to soundscan.

The new chart of Mediatraffic is online : 1.108.000 for the Red Hot Chili Peppers. This is really amazing with their "low" sales in USA and even in France.

Out of USA/UK it sold if I'm not wrong more or less the same amount of copies than X&Y, while Stadium Arcadium is a double album ! :ohmy:

But its a double album at nearly a single album price! Instead of being and impediment to sales, it actually increases sales, more bang for the buck!

MJDangerous said:

Michael Jackson has the highest royalty rate : Estimated somewhere between 28% and 30%. Madonna is the highest for a female act with 19%.

I doubt that, plus in the past Michael Jackson has not written all his songs himself, and writers royalties are often where 50% of the money is. In any event, it certainly has not helped his current financial situation.

STING2 said:

I doubt that, plus in the past Michael Jackson has not written all his songs himself, and writers royalties are often where 50% of the money is. In any event, it certainly has not helped his current financial situation.

when i learnt michael didnt write his own stuff he dropped of my top 5 artists :( .

some guy from brighton england wrote the thriller lyrics and he hasnt needed to work since apprently . ( was on some show about wacko a year ago )

STING2 said:

But its a double album at nearly a single album price! Instead of being and impediment to sales, it actually increases sales, more bang for the buck!
It is sold at a relatively low price because it is new, but it still more expensive than a single album.

STING2 said:

This is the money that he earns without counting his credits as writer. And he doesn't write "all" his songs, but he writes a very importe % of them.

vaz02 said:

when i learnt michael didnt write his own stuff he dropped of my top 5 artists :( .

some guy from brighton england wrote the thriller lyrics and he hasnt needed to work since apprently . ( was on some show about wacko a year ago )
He writes his own stuff ! "Thriller" (the song not the album) lyricist was the famous Rod Temperton but songs like Billie Jean, Beat It, Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' are writed and composed by Michael Jackson himself.
In the "Bad" album, his duet with Stevie Wonder "Just Good Friends" is not from him as well as "Man In The Mirror" writed by Siedahh Garreth who sings with him in the song "I Just Can't Stop Loving You", but all other songs in the album are writed and composed by Michael Jackson, including monstruous hits like Bad, The Way You Make Me Feel, Smooth Criminal, Liberian Girl, Leave Me Alone or Dirty Diana.

MJDangerous said:

It is sold at a relatively low price because it is new, but it still more expensive than a single album.

Yep, about 2 US dollars more expensive at Amazon. Again, a slightly more expensive double album is actually a positive selling point rather than being a negative.

bsp77 said:

The singles are rumored to be as follows:

1. Dani California
2. Tell Me Baby
3. Storm in a Teacup
4. Snow
5. Stadium Arcadium
6. unknown
7. unknown

7 singles, they must be having a laugh, i bet they all sound the same too, only the first 4 will get any radio airplay in the UK anyway.

STING2 said:
Yep, about 2 US dollars more expensive at Amazon. Again, a slightly more expensive double album is actually a positive selling point rather than being a negative.
Really ?! In France it is sold at nearly 19€, while a lot of "new" single albums are sold at only 12€.

We have to know as well that in those 1.1 million are counted sales of the collector edition of the album which is selling pretty well, and which cost 60€.

I really don't think Storm in a Teacup will help sales in any country. Snow has a catchy feel, but I don't know if it's radio-friendly. Slow Cheetah would be a perfect late summer single.

blueyedpoet said:
I really don't think Storm in a Teacup will help sales in any country. Snow has a catchy feel, but I don't know if it's radio-friendly. Slow Cheetah would be a perfect late summer single.

I keep hearing people mention Slow Cheetah. I think it is a very good song but I don't hear it as a single, at least in the US - it takes too long to become catchy (same problem as Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own). I could really hear Snow and, especially, Stadium Arcadium on the radio.

And Storm in a Teacup is great, although, you're right, it probably won't reach many people that have not already bought the album.

MJDangerous said:

Really ?! In France it is sold at nearly 19€, while a lot of "new" single albums are sold at only 12€.

We have to know as well that in those 1.1 million are counted sales of the collector edition of the album which is selling pretty well, and which cost 60€.

19 Euro is only 50% more than 12 Euro. Essentially, your buying one of the albums at the regular price and getting the second album at half the price. For it not to be a deal, it would have to cost 24 Euro. U2 had a special edition for the BOMB which sold really well as well.

STING2 said:

19 Euro is only 50% more than 12 Euro. Essentially, your buying one of the albums at the regular price and getting the second album at half the price. For it not to be a deal, it would have to cost 24 Euro. U2 had a special edition for the BOMB which sold really well as well.
Double albums cost hardly 2 times more than a single album, a difference of 50% is usual.

BTW, Stadium Arcadium has entered #1 in Australia and is already 2xPlatinum.

MJDangerous said:

& you're sure that's not 'cos it's counted as 2 units like USA/Canada ? Will be interesting to know exactly what it did sell. At 2xP already i would have thought about 70k if counted as 1 unit, which would be amazing ! Bomb did 48k 1st week in Australia (X&Y 40k) & was 3xP in it's 4th week (it was never certified 1/2xPlat).

edge3 said:

& you're sure that's not 'cos it's counted as 2 units like USA/Canada ? Will be interesting to know exactly what it did sell. At 2xP already i would have thought about 70k if counted as 1 unit, which would be amazing ! Bomb did 48k 1st week in Australia (X&Y 40k) & was 3xP in it's 4th week (it was never certified 1/2xPlat).
In Australia double albums are certified as a single album, not like USA/Canada.
This mean that the album sold surely 50-70k in it's first week which is amazing.

MJDangerous said:

Double albums cost hardly 2 times more than a single album, a difference of 50% is usual.

That only goes to show that their slightly extra cost does little to slow sales and is actually a sales bonus as your paying less per song than you would for a single album.

STING2 said:

That only goes to show that their slightly extra cost does little to slow sales and is actually a sales bonus as your paying less per song than you would for a single album.
I'm not contradicting this : I have precise that it is a double album not to explain that it is harder to sold well with a double album which is not true but to point out the fact the in the business issue it's a very good result for them and their major.

If 7 singles are released this will not be so strange, because the promotion of a double album is very interesting for the major. It's not for nothing if the most expensive promotion campaign is a promotion of a double album : They promote 1 album and they sold 1.5/2 albums (depend with the price).

Stadium Arcadium is number one in australia with double platnum (140K) whilst unfortunatly HTDAAB has fallen off the top 50, however it went far beyond double platnum. also in australia HTDAAB was not as successful as ATYCLB

Last edited:
zepher25 said:
Stadium Arcadium is number one in australia with double platnum (140K) whilst unfortunatly HTDAAB has fallen off the top 50, however it went far beyond double platnum. also in australia HTDAAB was not as successful as ATYCLB

U2 will come back to Australia this year...

Stadium Arcadium sold 52,800 1st week in Australia (the highest of the year so far) so did just beat the 48,000 that Bomb did in it's 1st week.

Last edited:
blueyedpoet said:
how'd it do this week?

down to # 2 with 402k at MediaTraffic.

Bomb vrs Stadium Arcadium first 3 wks at MediaTraffic + 1st week Japan sales :

Bomb :
wk 1 (Japan only) : 84k
wk 2 : 1.854m
wk 3 : 862k
wk 4 : 840k
Total = 3,640,000

Stadium Arcadium :
wk 1 (Japan only) : 139k
wk 2 : 1.108m
wk 3 : 539k
wk 4 : 402k
Total = 2,188,000

edge3 said:

down to # 2 with 402k at MediaTraffic.

Bomb vrs Stadium Arcadium first 3 wks at MediaTraffic + 1st week Japan sales :

Bomb :
wk 1 (Japan only) : 84k
wk 2 : 1.854m
wk 3 : 862k
wk 4 : 840k
Total = 3,640,000

Stadium Arcadium :
wk 1 (Japan only) : 139k
wk 2 : 1.108m
wk 3 : 539k
wk 4 : 402k
Total = 2,188,000

Since SA is a little more expensive than Bomb, could 2.2 million albums sold be more profitable than Bomb's 3.6?

blueyedpoet said:

Since SA is a little more expensive than Bomb, could 2.2 million albums sold be more profitable than Bomb's 3.6?

In the UK I paid £8 for SA (on-line ordering) wheras i paid around £14 for Bomb (most expensive version with booklet)

Mike

mikeuk said:

In the UK I paid £8 for SA (on-line ordering) wheras i paid around £14 for Bomb (most expensive version with booklet)

Mike

The most expensive limited edition version of SA is, i think, about £50 but, at that price, i assume there must either be much more in it &/or it's much more limited. Other than the limited edition versions i'd say right now in the UK, the average price for SA is about £13, whilst the average price for a single chart CD is about £10. Worldwide i guess the average price difference is also = to about £3. So :

3.640m copies of Bomb sold at an average of £10 = £36.4

2.188m copies of SA sold at an average of £13 = £28.4m

So that's still more profit for the Bomb though the gap is reduced. But then surely there's also the extra packaging etc, & therefore cost, involved in producing a 2 hour long double CD.

Last edited:
disk or no 2 disk. If they were tight fisted they would of downloaded , simple.
If someone really wants to buy a album they wont be put of buy the price at all so its irrelevant I think , 2 disk or no 2 disk.
good job chilli's !

I would dispute an average of £13 for SA- most CDs in the Uk are now sold at supermarkets or on-line , and thr prices there are lower than £13 e.g. me paying £8 on-line.

Mike

edge3 said:

The most expensive limited edition version of SA is, i think, about £50 but, at that price, i assume there must either be much more in it &/or it's much more limited. Other than the limited edition versions i'd say right now in the UK, the average price for SA is about £13, whilst the average price for a single chart CD is about £10. Worldwide i guess the average price difference is also = to about £3. So :

3.640m copies of Bomb sold at an average of £10 = £36.4

2.188m copies of SA sold at an average of £13 = £28.4m

So that's still more profit for the Bomb though the gap is reduced. But then surely there's also the extra packaging etc, & therefore cost, involved in producing a 2 hour long double CD.

Back
Top Bottom