Billboard Weekly Update: October 16, 2004

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Soldatti

Acrobat
Top Pop Catalog Albums - Best Of 1980-1990 - #35

Adult Top 40 - Vertigo - #23
Billboard Hot 100 - Vertigo - #45
Hot 100 Airplay - Vertigo - #41
Hot Digital Tracks - Vertigo - #1
Modern Rock Tracks - Vertigo - #4
Mainstream Rock Tracks - Vertigo - #12

Vertigo will be a big hit!

I am in the unfortunate situation of being off work awaiting back surgery. That has me listening to U2 non-stop. I also have been listening to the radio for the first time in years. Here in the Mtns of East Tennessee, I do get radio stations from Knoxville to Bristol to Asheville.

One station that is in the Alternative/Rock category has been playing Vertigo a lot and singing it's praises. Yesterday, on "Electric 94.9", which plays hip-hop & bubblegum pop non-stop, they announced around mid-day that they would be playing U2's new single at 8:00 PM, and they even billed it as an "exclusive first chance" to hear it.

After they played it, they went off about it. Said they'd be putting that into heavy rotation.

I think this is happening in many more markets than the relatively small one I'm in. U2 has raced up two charts, modern rock and mainstream rock. If you look at the usual movement of songs on either chart, it's usually not very volatile, with songs moving up or down slowly. I believe U2 will hit #1 on both charts.

Then, the video comes out, as well as the single. The song will cross over into the mainstream, and I really believe this is a better single than Beautiful Day. It's perfect at just over 3 minutes, has a great hook and can appeal to the masses.

BD made it to #1 on the Dance/Club chart with the remix. I expect the same thing to happen with Vertigo.

And, don't forget, the "$10M" marketing push has not really even started. I hated the title at first, but after hearing DJ's talking about the album and the full title is spoken, I actually think the name alone will help the album get recognition. The "puns" like "Vertigo explodes onto the charts", etc., will be used in all the reviews, and most reviews will be positive and we'll have many, many catch phrases about this album.

This is the record that will truly establish U2 as one of the top 2 or 3 bands of all time...perhaps even the best ever...history will tell.

Last edited:
This is an excellent point. Other than certain "approved" artists, the top 40 stations WILL NOT take risks on unproved songs. It will be a few weeks here and there, but I am hopeful that they will notice that this song is setting records on some of the other charts.

You can see this pattern on all the rock songs that finally cross over to the top 40 stations. The rock stations make fun of this fact all the time, as the top 40 stations often claim "exclusive" listens weeks or even months after the rock stations/alt. music first play it.

Well, at ADULT TOP 40, VERTIGO already comes in at #23! I think regular top 40 will start to play it once there is a video and the release of the album gets closer. By the way, ADULT TOP 40 is NOT adult contemporary.

STING2 said:
Well, at ADULT TOP 40, VERTIGO already comes in at #23! I think regular top 40 will start to play it once there is a video and the release of the album gets closer. By the way, ADULT TOP 40 is NOT adult contemporary.
you guys are seriously , you know?!

:lol:

But it would be impolite not to answer the question.
Yes, we are. To a certain degree. We do take it with a grain of salt. At least, I do.

Back
Top Bottom